Sunday, November 10, 2013 13:30

Review 213. Anne Ursu – Breadcrumbs.

10637959Title: Breadcrumbs.
Author: Anne Ursu.
Pages: 312.
Published: September 27th 2011 by Walden Pond Press 
Sort: Stand-alone.
Once upon a time, Hazel and Jack were best friends. They had been best friends since they were six, spending hot Minneapolis summers and cold Minneapolis winters together, dreaming of Hogwarts and Oz, superheroes and baseball. Now that they were eleven, it was weird for a boy and a girl to be best friends. But they couldn't help it - Hazel and Jack fit, in that way you only read about in books. And they didn't fit anywhere else. And then, one day, it was over. Jack just stopped talking to Hazel. And while her mom tried to tell her that this sometimes happens to boys and girls at this age, Hazel had read enough stories to know that it's never that simple. And it turns out, she was right. Jack's heart had been frozen, and he was taken into the woods by a woman dressed in white to live in a palace made of ice. Now, it's up to Hazel to venture into the woods after him. Hazel finds, however, that these woods are nothing like what she's read about, and the Jack that Hazel went in to save isn't the same Jack that will emerge. Or even the same Hazel.
Rating

“She felt like she was from a different planet than her schoolmates and maybe it was true.”

This book is a creation of all the awesome things in the writing-world. There are great characters, different fairytales, illustrations and a wonderful, almost poetic writing-style. This book blew me away and it’s definitely a hidden gem. One I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to other people. 

Once upon a time there were a boy and a girl – and they meant the world to each other, until one day the boy completely changed. Jack got hit by an enchanted item and he was taken by the white queen. Hazel is not ready to leave him behind and embarks on a quest to save her best friend.

The first thing that is so good about this book is the ability to connect with the characters. First we have Hazel, who feels lonely and different. She is bullied and called names and grown-ups don’t seem to understand her. I felt sorry for her and since I was a bit lonely like her, it was easy to relate to her. Her imagination is admirable and I love how brave she was when it came to Jack. It was great that this girl was adopted and had to deal with her parent’s divorce. It gave the story just that bit of extra depth and it's good to see a girl with another skin tone.

Then there is Jack. He is her best friend and with him, Hazel can be herself without holding back. Jack also has his problems at home and I think that's why they developed the ultimate friendship. It was so cute to see them together and how they fill up the empty spaces: they complete each other. One of the best things about MG books is the lack of romance. A friendship between a boy and a girl can stay a friendship without complicating it.

I loved the twist on the original tale (The snow queen) and there are some other stories subtle scattered throughout the story. The author created her own story based on a fairytale and she did it with such a beautiful writing-style. I was definitely surprised to find such a poetic and detailed way of telling in a MG. I think it would be a great book to read to your children before bed time, especially with the illustrations, but it’s also suited for adults. Definitely check it out!

”He was the only person who saw things for what they could be instead of what they were. He saw what lived beyond the edges of the things your eyes took in. And though they eventually grew out of Wonderland Artic space-people tea parties, that essential thing, remained the same. Hazel fit with Jack.”
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

39 comments:

  1. Wow Breadcrumbs sounds like an amazing read Melanie, I'm glad to see that you were able to form such a strong connection with Hazel's character and that you really ended up enjoying this book. Beautiful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds SO GOOD! I am definitely going to check this one out soon because it seriously sounds amazing. The characters sound really relatable and the friendship seems so sweet. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds to cute and very readable. I have a huge thing for story re-telling! its good to see you enjoyed this one so much to give it such a high rating. I love be able to connect to the main character. It makes the book so much more enjoyable when you see bits of yourself in characters. Fantastic review Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, so happy that you loved this one Mel :D I had some issues with it, but I still thought it was a sweet book. Sigh. But I also found it very heartbreaking, sniffs. But oh, I adore MG fairy tales. <3 thank you for sharing your awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this book about a year ago after reading some great reviews- and I STILL haven't read it yet! You've just reminded me that I need to get round to reading this book- it sounds fab.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this when it came out and it was every bit as wonderful as you say! Your review definitely captures the beauty of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this sounds like a wonderfull story :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh God this sounds like such a sad story, but amazing as well! Despite it being a middle grade book, I reaaallyy want to read this! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one seems really beautiful--like the title suggests. I dunno but Breadcrums--the title just seems really sad and sweet at once.

    Fabulous review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an awesome fairy tale MG novel! I heard about this a while ago but never read any reviews on it, so you've sparked my interest in this again. Great review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when a book is great for both kids and young adults. It shows that the author can tell a great story, but also an understandable one. so that many people can read it. Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great read! I'll definitely check it out, thanks to your review :) I love twists on fairy tales (although surprisingly, I don't read very much of those books) and this one sounds beautiful and original.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Mel... this review has made me want to buy this book so badly. I'm looking between this comment box and the book depository page right now, wondering whether I should do it- I would adore to read it to my niece, and I am without a doubt that we'd both love it. Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! I truly believe this is a wonderful book to read together with your niece :D

      Delete
  14. I really like The Snow Queen tale, so I definitely need to add this one to my TBR pile! It sounds like a fantastic book, I love it when an author takes a well-known story but manages to make it their own. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy-girl friendships (and just that) are one of my favourite things. It's not often that I'll gravitate towards MG fiction, but I do really like the sound of this, and I have heard mostly good things. I'm glad that it worked for you, Mel! Lovely review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love only-friendship between boys and girls. It doesn't always have to become a relationship.

      Delete
  16. I love the cover of the book! I've been reading The Flame in the Mist and it made me realize that I like reading MG books. Breadcrumbs, with themes about friendship and a journey, sounds amazing! I'll definitely read it now. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to read The flame in the mist :D!

      Delete
  17. I've been wanting to read this one for a while because, like you, I love fairy tale retellings and it seems from the summary alone and then your reivew that this handled it so skillfully and cleverly. I'll definitely be reading this one!

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really a book for you Tressa! Based on your reviews and the books you read :)

      Delete
  18. Mel... I am so glad you reviewed this. I have been wanting to read this for a while now. I don't know why I haven't yet. I think I had heard that it was sad so I didn't pick it up. But I should!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's sad at all! It is somewhere, but it's too hopeful to make it sad :)

      Delete
  19. I read this one a while after it came out and I liked it, but it didn't really wow me. I think it might have been a mood thing, though. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was just in the right mood then :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0