Thursday, November 14, 2013 19:13

Review 214. Robin LaFevers - Dark Triumph.

9943270Title: Dark Triumph.
Author: Robin LaFevers.
Pages: 385.
Published:  April 2nd 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Sort: Part 2 of ‘His fair assassin’
Part one: Grave Mercy.
Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?
Rating

This book gave me a huge case of fangirling, because damn, this book is perfection. I was blown away by Grave Mercy, so it seemed impossible to top that – not. LaFevers created another brilliant story which comes together with Ismae and Duval *swoon* I can only imagine how good part three is going to be. I recently found out that this book is partly based on Beauty and the beast, so perhaps it's not a coincidence I love it so much.

tumblr_inline_mmpt2mvyBU1qz4rgp

“I am beautiful and educated and have all manners of useful – and deadly – skills, but all of that together is worth less than a bucket of slops.”


Sybella fascinated me from the moment I met her. Behind her kick ass outside hides a broken, frightened girl who grew up in a terrible environment. Her father is a monster and Sybella got under the protection of her older brother Julian. His feelings for her grew deeper than brother-sister and Sybella, hungry for love, embraced it. That is still something she struggles with and I loved seeing her accept her past. She is starting to realize that it’s not her fault and I liked that development. It was interesting to see how she grows into her role in life and how she embraces all her flaws. You have to admire her spirit and her free mind. She is dangerous with her weapons, especially knives, and she is good at hiding her fear. Robin created a magnificent character.

“I simply want. I want him, his strength, his honour and his be-damned lightness of heart.”

Sybella is on an important mission for the Abbess by giving her information about the Duchess’ biggest enemy; d’Albret. He is still trying to force the Duchess into marriage and he is planning to destroy her from within her trusted circle. When Sybella is send to free the prisoner, everything spins out of control. This man is better known as ‘Beast’ because of his temper on the battlefield. He is huge, loyal and incredibly strong in mind and body. When Sybella drags him from the prison, mortally wounded, he manages to kidnap her. Not able to kill d’Albret, Sybella does everything in her control to nurse him. And soon, she is starting to feel something she never felt before.

”I stare down at his face. It has not grown more beautiful since I first found him, festering in the dungeon, and yet it is more dear to me than my own.”

Beast is amazing. He is nothing like any other character I’ve read about. He is often described as ugly, but it’s not about how he looks, it’s about his beautiful inside. He is protective over Sybella, he is fierce and intelligent. I love his heart is and how such a huge and strong man can be so soft and tender. He will do everything to protect the people he love, even if that means he has to sacrifice his life.

The plot is again fantastic. I always like politics in books, especially against a historical background. The things that amazes me about this book is that nothing spectacular happens, but you are still hooked to the story. Every page makes me hungry for more and I flew through the pages. Robin has such an addictive and easy writing-style. I like the touch of the different Gods and what kind of children they create.

Do you like nun assassins? Do you like strong female characters with great development? Do you like sweet, growing romance with a fantastic love-interest? Go and read it. If you don’t like these things. Go and read it anyway. This is how you write a good book and a great sequel.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

36 comments:

  1. Ok Ok! I am going to first read Scarlet (since I promised) and then Dark Triumph (like in my next few reads!) I just needed the push, I've been meaning to read this for what feels like forever. This is such a wonderful review. I'm excited for Sybella's point of view and to meet Beast. I just know I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeeeees! Keep me up do date about both books will you? :D

      Delete
  2. Mel! I just recently read this book, too!! My review goes up soon! I LOVED Grave Mercy and I LOVED Dark Triumph! Sybella is such a kickass heroine and your heart just bleeds for her. Beast--ador. You are totally right that he is so beautiful on the inside and I loved their dynamic and relationship growth. Gah, loved this book! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O_O Okay, I wasn't going to read this series, but now I absolutely must. Dark Triumph just sounds too amazing, and so do its characters. I'm especially intrigued by how it seems that Duval isn't the typical handsome love interest.

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Oh, and I meant Beast, not Duval... I got names mixed up D:

      Delete
  4. AH! I love love this series!! I thought the same too. I didn't think that Dark Triumph was going to be better than the first but it totally was! I loved them both but this one left me breathless! Beast was amazing too! Great review. Now I want to go re-read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book a lot.Just like you,I was thinking that giving a sequel better than Grave Mercy would be hard,but Lafevers did a perfect job.This a deviation from normal YA books especially because of Beast.I don't know how I managed to fall in love with a person who's supposed to look really ugly.But Beast has the most beautiful heart I've ever read.And Sybella was amazing.That girl can kick some ass:)
    I can't wait to read Annie's story.Great review Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great when authors show that it's not about looks!

      Delete
  6. I'm too scared to touch this book because I'm too invested with Grave Mercy that I'm too heartbroken when I found out that it wasn't about Ismae & Gavriel. But it seems you (and the others) loved it that I might reconsider my decision. Hmm, what to do? *ponders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you get to see a glimpse of those two characters! I thought I would be disappointed too, because I didn't want to part with Ismae & Gavriel, but it was so good <3

      Delete
  7. Sigh, love. <3 I too loved this book so so much. I'm so happy that you loved it :D Beast is awesome, isn't he? :) Thank you for sharing your amazing review. <3 Now I'm just DYING for Mortal Heart. Sigh. I need to know more and how it ends :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeeee, I loved the first book but still haven't read this one yet! I am excited by your rating, though. I need to get off my butt and read this before the third one comes out.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is just as good as the first one <3

      Delete
  9. I was pretty overwhelmed with the first one and all the political conspiracies and different families (an ebook is almost impossible to go check the hierarchy at the end) so I'm not sure if I'd ever read the sequel but you do make it sound really good! I did really enjoy the characters and the writing. Maybe one day >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the political aspect is a little bit toned down here :) The basics are in Grave Mercy and there isn't much news introduced.

      Delete
  10. Yes I love assassin stories and strong female characters and need to read this series! I really should pick it up some day, but then I still haven't read Throne of Glass yet. Wonderful review (and I freaking LOVE Beauty & the Best!)

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so have to read this! It sounds like my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been hearing tons of great things about Grave Mercy, but haven't read it yet because I'm pretty much skeptical about it. It just doesn't seem like my type of book. However, seeing your 5+ rating for Dark Triumph MAY change my mind... Plus the fact that I like reading assassin types of books. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like assassins, you'll like this series :D!

      Delete
  13. I've had this series on my wishlist forever but never got around to reading it. Might be time to bite the bullet and give it a shot! I'm loving this book blogging thing but damn if my must read pile is going up and up and up.... I'm going to be bankrupt at this rate! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, yes, I loved Beast SO much. It's almost to the point where ugly love interests are more swoony than hot ones because they're unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book was amazing! I loved the romance, but also the back story was so tragic! Great review!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Grave Mercy and have been dying to read this one so I really don't know what keeps me waiting. Beast was fantastic even in the first one. Yay for great sequels! Great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what are you waiting for? :D Go read it!

      Delete
  17. I adored this book so much (much more than GM)-it seemed so personal and intimate and I was already a huge fan of Beast so getting more of him was just perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, so I still haven't finished reading this. If this one is one of your special books, would you ever want to reread it and read with me? Because I'm like 100 pages in and knowing me I won't get it done until someone prompts me. It's been that way since April.

    " I can only imagine how good part three is going to be. " -- This actually makes me really nervous. Because I liked what I'd read of DT and I liked GM, but Annith hasn't intrigued me in a way that Sybella and Ismae have. Do you have any idea who the romantic interest going to be? I'm wondering whether that's introduced in DT...

    "His feelings for her grew deeper than brother-sister and Sybella, hungry for love, embraced it. That is still something she struggles with and I loved seeing her accept her past. She is starting to realize that it’s not her fault and I liked that development." -- So part of the reason why I haven't finish DT yet is that I skimmed ahead and already know about this and what happens, and I completely agree with you about this. I love that this is actually a part of her development. Sometimes I've seen incest used as a plot device in YA, and I don't find that all that compelling. Plus this so fits the historical world. (I wonder what Annith's background will be like. Orphaned? I don't remember if they say anything in GM, but she's there before Ismae, right? And oooo, the book is coming out soon, isn't it? Or did it end up getting delayed?)

    He is often described as ugly, but it’s not about how he looks, it’s about his beautiful inside. -- YES. You know for the latest bookish rounds, one of the articles I saw was a piece about how teenage romantic interests are often so beautiful and how that could hurt self esteem and etc. etc. and there was another piece to contradict it, but whatever the argument may be... I feel like there's no doubt that LaFevers used this to good advantage. It is possible to not have the most beautiful guy ever be a GOOD romantic interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yes, I wouldn't mind reading it again! :) If it supports you to finish it, I'll be more than happy to stay by your side, haha. I just know part 3 is going to be awesome. Her writing-style, her characters & plot, I just know it's going to be good. I have no clue about her love-interest. Part 3 is coming out in November :(

      I think I even prefer my characters that way! I hate those perfect, far too handsome guys.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0