I went to the cinema, decorated the house (love Christmas, makes everything look so cozy), made plans for Secret Santa with the book club, did a lot of Christmas shopping, had a second break down with my laptop and celebrated 3 perfect Christmas days.
2013 was an amazing year! I had some downs, but mostly ups. I'm very content when I look back at all the memories I've made. Some I want to share with you are: I started a book club with some awesome people, had a fantastic vacation in Italy, I made contact with publishers, I passed another school year, I started to put myself more out there by being active on Twitter (working on my confidence) and I spent much time with the people I love. I hope 2014 is going to bring me and you many wonderful new memories, health, happiness and good book moments! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
1. Richelle Mead – Vampire academy.
2. Kendare Blake – Anna dressed in blood.
3. Brodi Ashton – Evertrue.
4. Megan Shepherd – Her dark curiosity.
5. Michelle Hodkin – The unbecoming of Mara Dyer. (My epic rec)
6. Malinda Lo – Ash.
7. Dr. Seuss – How the Grinch stole Christmas.
8. Louise Rennison – Angus, Thongs & full-frontal snogging (re-read because of Ellis tweets)
9. Adam Gidwitz - The Grimm conclusion.
10. Diana Wynne Jones - Howl's moving castle.
Only the highlights, because I saw 22 movies and 1 complete TV show.
1. The hunger games: Catching fire (OH MY GOD, how good is this movie? Casting is awesome and I loved the arena. I even warmed up for Peeta.)
2. Thor: the dark world (Hello Loki!)
4. Les Misérables (not as bad as I expected after reading several reviews. I actually really liked Russel Crowe.)
7. Justin and the knights of Valour (awesome! Such a shame that animation movies without a big name don’t get so much attention.)
9. The hobbit: desolation of Smaug (ANOTHER PERFECT MOVIE. I want to live with the elves. How pretty is their home?)
12. Percy Jackson and the sea of monsters (bhahahaha, seriously? I skimmed through the movie and I was still bored.)
1. I won a personal signed copy from Janet Edwards – Earth girl.
2. I received an unexpected ARC from Strange Chemistry: Danielle L. Jensen – Stolen songbird. I requested it, but I didn’t hear back from them and thought I wouldn’t get it. I must admit that I did a happy dance when I opened my package.
3. I couldn’t resist and downloaded a bunch of books from Edelweiss.
-Merrie Haskell – The castle behind thorns.
-Lindsay Cummings – The murder complex.
-Amy Plum – After the end.
-Dianne K. Salerni – The eighth day.
-Anthology – The cabinet of curiosities.
-Kate Karyus Quinn – Don’t you forget about me.
I got dvd's (sister: The hunger games, Paranorman & Rango, parents: The Lorax), jewellery, a cozy pyjama, money, a snowman vest and some other little things. I feel ridiculous spoilt and happy :D Here are the books I got:
-Box set from Shannon Hale with Goose girl, Enna Burning & River secrets.
-Melanie Dickerson - Captive maiden.
-Juliet Marillier - Vlam van Zeven Wateren (Dutch version from Flame of Seven Waters) I collect these in Dutch, because I love the covers, haha.
-Box set with signed poster from Julie Kagawa with The iron king, The iron daughter, The iron queen & The iron knight. LOVE IT :D
Watching back at 2013 and looking forward:I only DNF-ed 5 books.
-Michelle Vail - Undeadly.
-Teresa Orts - The year of the great seventh.
-Patrick W. Carr - The hero's lot.
-Daisy Whitney - When you were here.
-Kerstin Hamilton - The mesmer menace.
The top 15 best books of 2013. Which is always hard, because I read many good books.
1. Brodi Ashton – the complete Everneath series. (Everneath, Everbound & Evertrue)
2. Robin LaFevers – Grave mercy.
3. Robin LaFevers – Dark triumph.
4. Courtney Summers – This is not a test.
5. Marissa Meyer – Scarlet.
6. Marissa Meyer – Cress.
7. Leigh Bardugo – Shadow and bone.
8. Leigh Bardugo – Siege and storm.
9. John Green – The fault in our stars.
10. Rae Carson – The crown of Embers.
11. Bridget Zinn – Poison.
12. Liz Coley – Pretty grl thirteen.
13. Emily Murdoch – If you find me.
14. Sarah J. Maas – Crown of midnight.
15. Anna Ursu – Breadcrumbs.
(and I know, I cheated with number 1!)
I completed all the reading challenges:
-Dystopian: Leader, 24/19.
-Paranormal: read at least 1 book from all the 12 categories.
-Fairy tales: Great and terrible beast, 39/16.
-Bingo: wanted to complete at least the TBR-pile.
-Tudor: Henry VII with the 5 needed books.
-Zombie: one chomp with the 6 needed books.
-Goodreads: I wanted to read 110 books, I read a total of 146 books. My goal for 2014 is at least 100, because I'll get busier.
My challenges for 2014 are:
-Bingo challenged with a new, changed scorecard.
Remember my 'Mission impossible: tackling series'? I'm going to continue this mission by participating in the Series challenge. This is what I achieved in 2013 and I'm actually quite proud:
Finished this year: 13.
Amy Plum – Revenants (3)
Kiersten White – Paranormalcy (3)
Cassandra Rose Clarke - Assassin’s curse (2)
Anna Carey - Eve (3)
Alex Flinn – Kendra Chronicles (2)
Lauren Oliver - Delirium (3)
Cameron Dokey, Nancy Holder, Tracy Lynn, Suzanne Weyn & Debbie Viguié - OUAT series (19)
Jessica Day George – Princess (3)
Cynthia Hand – Unearthly (3)
Michelle Diener – Susanna & Parker (3)
Tia Nevitt – Accidental Enchantments (2)
Adam Gidwitz - A tale dark and Grimm (3)
Brodi Ashton - Everneath (3)
So, I believe this is all I needed to recap! Let me know about your favorite books of 2013 and if you completed all your reading challenges. Are you going to participate in challenges in 2014? What are your favourite moments from 2013 and what are you looking forward to?