Wednesday, December 11, 2013 14:13

Review 221. Cristin Terrill - All our yesterdays.

17451105Title: All our yesterdays.
Author: Cristin Terrill.
Pages: 362.
Published: August 1st 2013 by Bloomsbury Childrens
Sort: Part one of ‘All our yesterdays’
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.

Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet. Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.
Rating:
First I want to say: Don’t hit me Debby ;) I tried, but this book failed to impress me. I liked it, that’s for sure, but I wasn’t blown away. I honestly thought I’d like this book much more than I did.. I think it's because of my disconnection with the characters. If you are able to do that, I think you're up for a very good book!

We are immediately thrown into the story. Em and Flinn are locked away and are terrified for the person they call ‘Doctor.’ He wants to know the location of some documents, but they clearly aren’t willing to give it to him. When Em finds a paper, everything points out that they’ve escaped and tried to stop this from happening over and over again. This might be their last chance.

The story often switches back to the POV of Marina. I loved seeing these flashbacks, because it makes the story and everyone’s choices easier to understand. I admired the way Cristin used these two POV’s and how the stories entwined in the future. Em/Marina are so different and that shows her development in a fun way. The downside was that I absolutely didn't like Marina. I thought she was a bit shallow, whiny and naïve. Em and Flinn are adorable together. I loved their chemistry and it was fun to see how their relationship started in the flashbacks. I was rooting for them and that was an enjoyable aspect of this book. But, I didn't care for them as an individual. I couldn't fully connect with them.

I think another problem for me was the fact is that there weren't any surprising twists. This book could have used a shocking revelation. I must say that Cristin did a great job on the time-travel, but I have this annoying habit of overthinking. This makes time-travel always a strange thing I can’t understand, but her creation wasn't that hard.

This book does shine with it's ending. It was intense! Despite the fact that I didn't connect with Em & Flinn like I wanted, I was starting to fear for them. I like the complex villain and seeing how he changed into that person. It's strange how people we knew our whole life can change in an entirely different person.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

37 comments:

  1. I liked this one too (maybe a little more than you did), though I agree that the characters could have been more fully fleshed out. The twists didn't really surprise me either, but maybe they worked for the many people who have rated this book so highly!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that it's more fun if you are surprised by the twists!

      Delete
  2. This is one I really liked, I thought there were some good character points in it though. You can read my review HERE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it but didn't love it. There's something about it that felt missing, in fact I was having a difficult time connecting to characters, although I must admit the premise really is interesting. Great one, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book but I've been intending too! I just looove sci-fi and I'm really curious how the author will pull it off. I'm sorry that you couldn't really connect with the characters... I don't mind them too much though...I agreed with Wendy, it never hurts to read about a fleshed out character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read this if you love Sci-fi :D

      Delete
  5. I don't usually enjoy time travel books, but I really enjoyed the plotting in this one. I agree that in plot driven stories, the characters often aren't as filled out so I was okay with that.
    PS Great job on the Goodreads challenge!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a shame that you didn't connect with the characters :( But I'm glad you still managed to enjoy this one.
    I definitely agree that Maria was whiny and annoying, but I really loved that her and Em were so different. It just showed how much all of the things she went through changed her. Her time travel was pretty simple which is something I loved since there are quite a few time travel books out there that have extremely complicated explanations behind them.
    I'm still really glad that you managed to enjoy it even if you didn't connect with the characters.
    Brilliant review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed show the huge development Em went through! :)

      Delete
  7. I've heard raving reviews about this one and while I'm sorry you didn't completely connect with it (or the characters, which is a horrible feeling), I feel a bit more relieved because I want to read it and would hate to be the only one who doesn't like it! Oddball status, ya know? I definitely see your points! I'll be cautious now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overall I did like this one but if I'm honest, I wasn't too keen on the ending! And I thought the characters needed more work too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, the ending made this book work for me :D

      Delete
  9. I'm still reading this one, but me too, so far it hasn't blown me away yet like I've expected it to, but it's going strong! But, I've been waiting for this since the start of this year, and I'm going to wait till the very last page before settling onto a verdict :)

    Lovely review, Mel! I haven't been blogging for ages, but I'm glad to be back-- loved your review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Sometimes the ending can completely change how we look at a book. Welcome baaaaack!

      Delete
  10. Aw. I'm sorry that you didn't love it Mel. But I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it :D I really loved it, though. <3 but I do understand why you had some issues with it :) I also didn't fully enjoy Marina. Sigh. But I loved Em and Finn. <3 I adored Finn so much. Thank you for sharing your awesome thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw. I think you're one of the few people who wasn't happy with this book. Almost every blogger that I know was gushing about this one. Well, at least I wouldn't be diving into this with so much expectation. But I love time travel books so this might really work out for me. *fingers crossed*

    Thanks for this great review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize this had a sequel! Is that silly of me? *shrugs* Do you think you weren't blown away because of the hype? I was surprised by how much I did enjoy it. I'm excited for part 2. Maybe you'll like that one more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a possibility, yes. Debby named it a 'Debby book' so I did expected a lot of it :)

      Delete
  13. I think I was definitely more surprised by the twists. As far as I can remember, I wasn't really able to predict any of what happened towards the end. Though I did over-think some of the time travel theory too, which held me back just a little bit. Overall though, I was really impressed. I'm glad to hear you'll be reading the next one. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that unpredictability is important for this book.

      Delete
  14. Oh such a shame, I think the twists caught me off guard as well! But I absolutely loved a book, it's a shame it wasn't for you. Thanks for your honest review though Mel :)

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  15. AH! It's such a shame when you simply don't connect with the characters - I'm sorry this happened to you in this one :( I admit that my curiosity was peaked for this one because of all the glowing reviews it was getting for a bit there (and because I quite enjoy time-travel!) but your comments about the characters and the lack of surprising elements to the plot have given me pause. I won't be rushing into this one right away, thanks for the wonderful review Mel ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helps to have better expectations, since mine were so high!

      Delete
  16. When twists don't surprise me that makes me sad. I have yet to read this one though I have it sitting on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of those young adult books that I have no idea if I will like or not. The things you pointed out were things that kept me from reading it this year. I wasn't sure if I could get through a time-travel romance this year. I think I'll give it a try despite the lack of plot twists.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I tried, but this book failed to impress me. I liked it, that’s for sure, but I wasn’t blown away. I honestly thought I’d like this book much more than I did.. I think it's because of my disconnection with the characters." --- I have heard this from other people too. That the characters are sort of like the ones in Divergent, acting to further the plot but not always seeming to leap off the page. And I think this feeling, in addition to what you said, was ultimately what kept me away from the novel despite having been super excited about it a while back.

    "Em/Marina are so different and that shows her development in a fun way. The downside was that I absolutely didn't like Marina. I thought she was a bit shallow, whiny and naïve. Em and Flinn are adorable together. I loved their chemistry and it was fun to see how their relationship started in the flashbacks. I was rooting for them and that was an enjoyable aspect of this book. But, I didn't care for them as an individual. I couldn't fully connect with them." -- So interesting! So you liked them as a couple, but as characters on their own, if they were in separate times, like Marina and Flinn, you wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. I find that really, really interesting because I don't think that's ever happened to me. Liking a couple but not quite liking the characters on their own. Not even in romance novels. I don't think I could get through the novel, but maybe I'm going too far - not connecting is not the same as disliking.

    "I think another problem for me was the fact is that there weren't any surprising twists. This book could have used a shocking revelation. I must say that Cristin did a great job on the time-travel, but I have this annoying habit of overthinking." -- This also really, really interests me because the Kirkus review which had gotten me reinterested in the novel said that it was "deftly plotted" but you didn't think there were many twists, which makes me think that I'd also be with you on that (I tend to overthink too, and if the time-travel explanation wasn't good enough for you, probably not for me either), and now you've made me both glad and intrigued. Glad to not have read the novel, and intrigued about the novel because of the various opinions. HMMM.

    There were more than enough good things and I’ll be reading part two for sure! -- Were you also surprised that there was a sequel? I heard that a lot of people thought the ending didn't merit one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it surprised me that I liked them as a couple, but they weren't interesting enough to stand on their own. They were cute and strong together, but as an individual they lacked of that spark I look for in characters.

      There is definitely a good crafted plot, but it was too predictable for me, so everything that happened make me shrug..

      And yes, I'm surprised. I thought the ending was conclusive enough to be a stand-alone.. I look forward to see what she is planning to do with the story.

      Delete
  19. I can definitely relate to your review! This book failed to impress me, and I honestly don't get the hype for it. I also had trouble connecting to the characters and I definitely missed surprising twists. Oh, and I hated both James and Marina. That kind of made me feel 'meh' about this book as well. SIgh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0