Friday, January 31, 2014 11:06

Review 231. Marissa Meyer – Cress.

13206828Title: Cress.
Author: Marissa Meyer.
Pages: 560.
Expected publication: February 4th 2014 by Feiwel & Friends 
Sort: Part 3 of ‘Lunar Chronicles.’ Part one: Cinder. ||| Part two: Scarlet.
Source: I borrowed an ARC from my friend Christina reads YA. Thanks Christina!
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.  In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

Rating: 

You know you are reading a series by a very gifted author when she keeps delivering. This book was even better than I could hope for. Every character returns and the addition of the lovely Cress makes everything complete. l was swept away in the plot and the writing-style is so flowy and easy. This series vaguely reminds me of Harry Potter: every piece of information from the previous books seem to fall together and it makes me want to re-read them to see if I’ve missed anything before. I need Winter right now!

I’m overwhelmed by how good this book is, but I’ll try to capture the beauty and everything is spoiler free, even if you haven’t read Cinder or Scarlet yet (and if that’s the case, shame on you, what are you waiting for? I’m going to stare awkwardly and scary at you until you change it *stares*)

A little recap:

In Cinder we  meet a cyborg who finds out about her true identity. She befriends the new emperor Kai when her stepmother gives her up as test person in the search for a medicine against a deadly sickness.

In Scarlet, things are only starting to get worse. There is Scarlet who is searching for her disappeared grandmother and on her way, she meets Wolf. Cinder meets Thorne in prison and they manage to escape together. All these characters come together in the end and that brings us to Cress.

Kai is going to marry Levana, Queen of Luna, to save his people. Cinder is planning to do anything to stop that from happening, but with Scarlet’s kidnapping, Wolf's injuries and Thorne's disappearing, things are starting to look bad.

Review.
Let me start with the characters. They are awesome like always. Cinder is growing into her important role and I like how she keeps her head cool in difficult situations. It’s admirable what she is planning to do, especially when all her allies are gone or sick. We don’t get to see much of Scarlet, who is trapped in a horrible situation, or Wolf, who is most of the time brainwashed by Lunar’s or delusional because of his wounds. Despite the fact that I missed Scarlet, I think it was a great decision; it gives enough space to introduce us to Cress.

Cress has been living for seven years in a satellite, hacking and programming under orders of Queen Levana. The only visits she gets are by her Mistress Sybel, a woman who claimed she saved Cress when her parents discarded her. The thing I love about Cress is that she has been protecting Cinder and her friends, because she knows it’s the right thing to do. She was a mixture of naivety, braveness and weakness, which made sense. If you grew up in solitude, I think everyone would act the way she does. I found her quick adaptations to certain situations admirable and her romanticized look at life was adorable. Thorne was his charming self and I love his dynamic with Cress (still shipping him with Cinder though!). I always imagine him looking like Flynn:

tumblr_msimqtuxa71sfl9zxo1_250

It’s hard to tell much about the plot without going into details (and therefore spoilers), so I’m not going to try. The only thing I will say is that the series is very character-driven, something I absolutely love, but there is also an intriguing plot. Every situation will keep you hooked to the story and the only two things you can think of is: feelings and need-to-continue. It's quite a read with it's 560 pages, but let me tell you, it's never enough! Cress is plot-wise the strongest book in the series (so far).

It was a good blend of friendship, romance, action and explanations (especially when it comes to the world-building). Like I said in the intro; it’s fun to see how everything slowly comes together and I’m very much looking forward to Winter. Let the wait begin..

23 comments:

  1. Ah. Thorne! <3 Now that you mentioned it, he does kind of remind me of Flynn. :O I can't wait to get back to this series. I think Cress'll be an awesome addition to the gang. Great review, Mel!

    Aimee @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading, I hope you enjoy it when you have the chance :D

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. This is by far the book in the series I'm most excited for since I love the story of Rapunzel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for this one, Mel. And since I did not get an ARC, I'm dying with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But.. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHIP CINDER AND THORNE :D lol, jk. <3 That is an interesting ship, though :D I, however, will forever and always ship Cinder and Kai. <3 They are the best. And omg, I really adored seeing Cress and Thorne. SO ADORABLE. Sigh. It makes me so happy when others love Cress like I did. <3 It was just such a beautiful book and I'm so so happy that you loved it so much :) I cannot wait for Winter either. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait. I'm so excited for this book now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so so so excited to read Cress. Every review is glowing. I think I might re-listen to Scarlet before my copy of Cress arrives. Just so I can be super appreciative of all the connections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with re-reading such an awesome book!

      Delete
  7. OMG I can't wait for Cress to come out! I'm glad this sounds really amazing and curious about how Cress has been protecting Cinder and her friends. Love that Thorne finally finds his match!

    Cannot wait to pick this one up! Lovely review Mel.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed Scarlet too, although I agree that it gave us the space we needed to meet Cress. BUT I NEED SCARLET BACK ASAP.

    Thorne does indeed look like a combination of Hook and Flynn in my head. It's rather fantastic. And Cinder may or may not look like Emma Swan *whistles* YES TO THE THORNE/CINDER SHIP. We're in this together.

    I definitely don't think this book felt like 560 pages. I whizzed through it! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I do need more of Scarlet in the next book. Ohh, Hook, that's a good one for him too.

      Delete
  9. I'm literally so excited to read this as soon as I can. I wanted to read it as soon as it came out but I don't know if I'll be able too. I'm glad you loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! So glad you liked this one, it looks like Marissa Meyer doesn't have a middle book slump! :D I'm excited to read it and meet Cress.
    Great review! I love the Flynn gif you used. :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she doesn't. She is a wonderful author :)

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to read this book! The other two were just amazing!!! Loved your review, and I wish I have the chance to read this one soon! (and yeeeah, I always picture Thorne as Flynn!)
    Happy reading!
    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you to, it has been released :D

      Delete
  12. Aaaah, so jealous that you read it already. I can't wait to get my hands on it now that it is finally out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man I just hate that word / slang 'shipping' haha that is the perfect gif to represent Thorne! I loved it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually pictured Thorne and Cress as Flynn and Rapunzel (ala Disney)! I loved their relationship, and the strong focus on the characters throughout the whole series. I'm dying for Winter now, especially after the brief meetings with her in Cress. Wonderful review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hihi, Flynn. Cress is my favorite so far in this series! :) Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0