Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:55

Review 232. Rick Yancey – The 5th wave.

5W FINAL COVER.inddTitle: The 5th wave.
Author: Rick Yancey.
Pages: 457.
Published: May 7th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
Sort: Part one of ‘The fifth wave’
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one. Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
Rating:

This book failed to impress me. Whether it were my high expectations, the hype surrounding it or just this story, I had a hard time reading it.  It’s a shame that I wasn’t able to connect with the characters, because I still think it’s an unique setting and promise. I like the story that is created, but the plot  could have used some interesting twists.

I’m first going to start with the things I liked. The world-building is pretty good and Rick knows how to paint a good picture of a destroyed world. Cassie is lonely and she believes she might be one of the last survivors after the first four disastrous waves. I like the explanations behind the ‘Silencers’ and how they were able to infiltrate our daily lives without any effort. Those aliens are smart cookies.

But this is where it stops. The thing I disliked the most was my disconnection with any of the characters. Cassie showed some infuriating behavior at the start of the book and that prevented me from bonding with her. She definitely developed and she has some good qualities, but I couldn’t overlook her earlier stupidity.

She just got shot in her leg and this boy Evan saved her from dying. The first thing she thinks about is:
"I'm worried my hair might smell. I want some chocolate... What did he think about my body? What did I think about my body?"
Like that’s the most important part to think about. Perhaps you should worry for the fact that this guy is a stranger and your world is under attack by aliens who might look like humans? Not to mention the fact that she has some strange anger issues. This boy did save her in the end and he takes care of her, but the only thing she can do is acting like a bitch.
"Did I ask you go to get me anything?" I want to pop him right in that perfectly shaped mouth. Why do I want to hit him? Why am I so mad right now?"
The worst thing is that she throws food at him without ANY reason. She is mad that he is giving her the silent treatment after her whiny bitch fit and then she has the nerves to attack him with food because he says that he doesn’t want her to die. Yes, how dare he?

Evan.. He is practically drooling over her and not very late in the story he is kissing her and telling her he loves her. She is acting like a spoiled brat and there is zero chemistry between them, so I could have done without this romance. He is also the perfect example of a dominant man, because he truly believes that she needs him. HE is the only reason she could possibly survive the search for her brother. Imagine that the girl might be capable of doing it herself. Cassie has survived on her own so far, I think it's legit to say that she is able to do it herself.

What also bothered me was the constant switch between POV’s and even writing-style. It was very confusing and often I found myself lost: whose chapter is this? It shows that there is hardly any difference in voice between the characters. It’s a pity, because I was excited for this book and I’ve seen many positive reviews. I’ll not be reading more books in this series.

41 comments:

  1. I've actually heard quite a few reviews saying that the characters were annoying as well! I've also seen a billion rave reviews but I'm trying my best to not read books with annoying characters! After reading so many, brats and bitches are just not doing it for me anymore. Thank you for sharing Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's better for you to stay away from this one then!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely hated Evan. I don't understand all the love for him! The romance overtook the plot and things just started going downhill for me. I actually DNFed this one a while back. The book didn't impress me, either. :( Great review, Melanie!

    Aimee @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was definitely not my type of character.. I would have DNF it if it wasn't a book club pick.

      Delete
  3. Ack, this is disappointing :( I have this on my shelf since the hype was so strong last year but I'm not so sure I'm very big on the focus on the romance. But at least I'll be prepared now! Thanks Mel for the great review ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book would have been so much better without the romance. Such a shame!

      Delete
  4. Wow,you're the only other person I've met who didn't like this story.Yay!I am not alone:)
    I didn't even finish the book.It was not at all what I expected.Especially after all those hype.
    I was highly disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I'm glad I'm not alone in the things that bugged me. I wonder why he stressed the romance so heavily....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I think some authors believe it's essential in a book..

      Delete
  6. Aw. I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy this book Mel :\ I loved it and rated it five stars. But now, reading your review, I'm kind of thinking I would be annoyed as well. Sigh. But still. Thank you so much for being honest :D And best of luck with the next book you read. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you liked it the first time :D

      Delete
  7. Aw, it sucks that you didn't enjoy this one. I've wanting to give this one a go, but I've been putting it off. I think it was because of all the hype around the book. But OMG, Cassie sounds like a bit of an annoyance. I kind of want to read book now, to see when she throws the food. lol Great review and thanks for the honest opinion :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh no!! I was thinking about picking this up soon, but now I think I will put it off for a little while longer lol, SO not in the mood for infuriating characters! Awesome review hun (: !

    ReplyDelete
  9. One star!! WOW!!! I really liked this book. Of course now it's been a while since I've read it (http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-5th-wave-by-rick-yancey-review.html) and I have forgotten a lot of the details from the book. So I guess it is forgettable! Just another dystopian novel.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to see why you liked it so much :)

      Delete
  10. [ Smiles ] I am ashamed to say that I am not familiar with the author, Rick Yancey.

    However, I was most appreciative of your book review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I think I'll be steering clear of this one for a while! Nothing you described sounded like something I would enjoy, but especially not how whiney Cassie was. And the fact that the two PoVs weren't distinguishable is another big red flag - that happened for me with Allegiant, and it was SO distracting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes yes YES to everything you said Mel! I was super annoyed with Cassie too; dude, you're in a dystopian world where aliens look like humans and all you can think about is a BOY, nevertheless a BOY YOU DON'T KNOW?
    And the insta-love in this one... -shudders-
    The romance was just simply horrible.
    Great review Mel! (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES. Finally, someone who hated it as much as me. I DNFed :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review Mel! I've only read raving reviews for this book, but I appreciated how you said that the character was a real brat. She sounds difficult to connect to. And insta love ugggh let's not go there. Thanks for highlighting some issues with this book!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, so sad you didn't like this one. I loved it! I could have done without the romance, but the world & premise were so awesome that I was able to overlook it. The switching views worked for me too. Definitely goes to show how different people view things differently! I hope you enjoy your next read more Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it worked for you! :) And yes, that is what's so interesting about reading.

      Delete
  16. *evil laughter* High five, Mel! I was SO tried of being the only one who was so disappointed in this book I didn't even finish it. The POVs killed me and not only that but the first third of the book was so crazy boring with the huge clunky paragraphs.

    Here's mine if you want to read it: http://readerswonderland.com/2013/06/unpopular-opinion-the-5th-wave-dnf-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello other same-minded person :D I'll definitely check out your review!

      Delete
  17. *applauds* THANK YOU! The 5th Wave hasn't been one of my favourites and the hype around it sometimes makes me seem sad. The writing was well-done but I honestly couldn't connect with the characters either. I completely agree with what you said about the characters, it was hard to connect to them and they were just damn annoying. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that there are more bloggers who disliked this book! I was afraid I was alone.

      Delete
  18. Aw naw! I was so excited for this one as soooo many people loved it. I have it on my TBR - had it for ages - and will read it soon. I hope I like it better than you did.
    Too bad though, but I guess not all books are for everyone. :)
    I worry I might not like main characters though, as you described them... they don't sound too good. :L
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will love it like all the other bloggers did :D!

      Delete
  19. I haven't read the 5th Wave and after reading your review, I don't think I will. Thanks for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Agreed! I had been excited to read this because of all the hype, but I was so disappointed. Cassie and Evan both annoyed me a lot, and I wasn't that into the writing style.

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  21. You and Debby. I feel so bad you guys hated this one! I had super low expectations because Alien books are typically not my thing. I think that helped because I was pleasantly surprised. I also listened to the audiobook and since Ashley had already reviewed this one, I didn't scrutinize it, therefore, I think I overlooked that behavior in Cassie bc i'm bothered just reading your review hah. I know the scene you are talking about but I am glad I didn't really pick up on it too much. Gosh, hype can be such a killer. But thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book might work better as audiobook for me too! I think it would make it sound more exciting.

      Delete
  22. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I haven't read the 5th Wave yet. Even when it came out, I got a copy because of the hype... but still haven't managed to read it because I just wasn't interested for some odd reason.

    "I’m first going to start with the things I liked. The world-building is pretty good and Rick knows how to paint a good picture of a destroyed world. Cassie is lonely and she believes she might be one of the last survivors after the first four disastrous waves. I like the explanations behind the ‘Silencers’ and how they were able to infiltrate our daily lives without any effort. Those aliens are smart cookies." --- From what I can tell, this is the thing like everyone agreed on in their reviews. His world-building was well thought out and the different waves sounded pretty effective and still allowed him to paint that struggle for humanity in that destroyed world. So I think you're not the only one there :D.

    "I'm worried my hair might smell. I want some chocolate... What did he think about my body? What did I think about my body?" -- Sometimes I sort of wonder at males writing from female perspective. Like in The Fault in Our Stars, Hazel thinks that a hot boy staring at her is okay because he is hot whereas an unattractive guy = creepy. This is the same sort of situation to me. Yes, teenagers have a lot of hormones, but it's incredible that somehow when the hot male is introduced, they seem to lose some sort of definition of themselves (though I do like that quote he included -- the "what did I think about my body?" -- even if it's not at an appropriate, as you've pointed out).

    "The worst thing is that she throws food at him without ANY reason. She is mad that he is giving her the silent treatment after her whiny bitch fit and then she has the nerves to attack him with food because he says that he doesn’t want her to die. Yes, how dare he?" - Haa, I sort of get what Yancey was trying to do... or so I'd assume. I'm guessing that's all about the destroyed world and Katniss sort of I-don't-want-another-mouth-to-feed, but the way you've put it, it definitely sounds a tad ridiculous.

    "Evan.. He is practically drooling over her and not very late in the story he is kissing her and telling her he loves her. " -- I have heard that the romance is kind of Twilight-y so the dominance bit doesn't surprise me. It's kind of one of the reasons I'm hesitant to pick up the book.

    "What also bothered me was the constant switch between POV’s and even writing-style." -- Also this. I like PoV switches sometimes - like with Raven Boys - but based on what I've heard, a lot of reviews seem really polarized about the PoVs in this novel...

    Shame it didn't work out for you, but lots of other books to enjoy huh :D?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Well, the cover is pretty, haha.
      -If he focused more on the world-building, it would have been so much better.
      -Yes, sure, we can be insecure and wonder what guys think about us, but sometimes the timing isn't very appropriate or smart..
      -POV switches can be great, if handled with care. Here, it didn't work.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0