Thursday, February 13, 2014 06:00

Review 233. Amalie Howard – The almost girl.

17397481Title: The almost girl.
Author: Amalie Howard.
Pages: 416.
Published: January 7th 2014 by Strange Chemistry.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Seventeen-year-old Riven is as tough as they come. Coming from a world ravaged by a devastating android war, she has to be. There’s no room for softness, no room for emotion, no room for mistakes. A Legion General, she is the right hand of the young Prince of Neospes, a parallel universe to Earth. In Neospes, she has everything: rank, responsibility and respect. But when Prince Cale sends her away to find his long-lost brother, Caden, who has been spirited back to modern day Earth, Riven finds herself in uncharted territory. Will Riven be able to find the strength to defy her very nature? Or will she become the monstrous soldier she was designed to be?

Rating:

If you read the blurb, you've practically read everything that was interesting about this book, so I made it shorter. The only reason I finished it was because it’s an eARC and I was far enough to feel like ending it. I don’t recommend trying to do the same. I was bored and annoyed at the same time.

This book supposed to tell about a kick-ass fighter called Riven, who is actually from a parallel universe. She is in our world to find Caden, a look-a-like of someone called Cale. She is supposed to bring Caden with her, but she comes in conflict with her sister who protects the boys. And in the end, she comes to realize that things aren’t what they seem.


To keep things a little positive, I liked the animated corpses who are controlled by nanobots. It was an interesting concept and the science aspect of this book wasn’t too bad. It’s a shame that the world-building isn’t more detailed and explained. That could have saved a part of this book, but it’s just as lame as the plot. There were supposed to be twists, but I saw them coming from miles. Our MC is clueless and blind, which made me even more annoyed by her.

For someone who says she is emotionless, because her father created her to be a strong, smart soldier, she sure feels a lot. She is afraid when they are hunted down, she feels hate for her family, she is attracted to Caden, should I go on? As far as I know, all these things are emotions. When it comes to the strong part, this girl fainted more in this book than I in my whole life (which is never, if you are interested) Not to mention that she falls short on the intelligent part, because damn, this girl makes some stupid decisions. Luckily for her, things come very easily.
“With a deep breath, I raise the staff I took off Vector Shae and prepare to do battle. But then the unexpected happens. Every single one of the Vectors stops in their tracks, their arms and weapons falling to their sides, eyes going blank and dull.”
What also bothered me was Caden. Riven is a drilled fighting machine, but he is equally strong and fast, because he trained with her sister. I’m sorry, but is there something wrong with a stronger MC? Does they really have to share credits when it comes to their fighting skills? It was highly unbelievable to me and it showed again that girls apparently need to be out-shined by boys. His character falls flat and he has no development whatsoever. He also says that his girlfriend is a bitch and the only reason he was together with her was ‘because it was easy.’ Not to mention that he cheats on her with Riven.

Which brings me to the sappy romance. Riven turns into a love-sick girl when he is around. In just a couple of days, they are making out and she is trying to ignore her feelings. She even cries a couple of times, to add to her emotionless state. They have zero chemistry and it didn’t add anything to the boring plot.

tumblr_n0bxrnz44p1qzub73o1_500

Uhhh. Nope. Don’t go wasting your time on this failed dystopian, unless you are a fan of boring, stupid characters, lousy world-buildings and chemistry-less romance.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

33 comments:

  1. Wow, Mel. You must really hate this since I hardly ever read your rants before. Hmmm..I just read a book by this author too but just didn't feel like reviewing it..for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was hard and fun to write a rant, since I hardly experience such horrible books.

      Delete
  2. This was exactly the problem with this book. There were so many damn coincidences too. Oh and their decision to start making out while having sneaked back into her father's house!! I just couldn't even try to rationalize that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harsh, but I totally agree. This one fell totally flat with me as well and I got more and more aggravated as the book went. Had to force myself to finish it after I saw her turn into a sappy love sick girl and Caden's boringness. No thanks!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I was hoping it wasn't too harsh..

      Delete
  4. Aw. I'm so sorry that this book was so awful. But ohh. I would have hated it too. So glad I do not own it, hih (A) Thank you so so much for being honest and writing this amazing review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes this book sounds horrible! I have heard that a lot of books by this author tend to have really bad character development, world building and romance, and I think that's really enough to put me off her books for good lol.
    HAHAHA that last gif is gold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah, your first SENTENCE. I've read several reviews today of this book, and none of them were above 1.5 stars. I really didn't enjoy the author's first book BLOODSPELL, though, so I'm not really that surprised. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, hope your next read is better!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. "If you read the blurb, you've practically read everything that was interesting about this book." It's like when you watch the trailer and everything good is shown in it. Mehhh. This sucks. LOL the feeling things reminds me of Alexa from Defy. A strong, capable soldier who is supposed to be with a strong personality, but always felt so many emotions. Haha, you little feminist! Though I do agree that girls should shine more and there's nothing wrong with outshining guys in even the most unexpected things. Great review, though I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, sucks! I know, my feminist side definitely came up. I just don't understand why most of the times the guy must be the strongest/smartest/etc in the book.

      Delete
  8. I really haven't heard many good things about this book, don't think I'll be reading it. The blurb really did capture my attention, it's a shame that it was the best part of the book. The sci-fi aspects could have been pretty good, if they were done well and with good world building. Apparently that wasn't the case. Ugh, I completely hate when a romance overshadows any semblance of a plot. Especially an underdeveloped one. I also dislike when the main character loses any bit of individual wants/desires and becomes an lovesick robot.

    Lovely review, thank you for taking one for the team! Haha. Hope your next book is much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! The sci-fi aspect could have been so much better.. and if she got rid of the horrible romance and characters, it would have been perfect. Haha.

      Delete
  9. [ Smiles ] Maybe, you would have enjoyed it better if it was turned into an animated movie.

    Thanks again for another interesting book review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, yes, I definitely think that would work better in this case :)

      Delete
  10. Oh no! Sorry this was a miss for you. I hate when blurbs are the better part of the book. Not fun. I've had such bad luck with Strange Chemistry books that I don't read them anymore, even if the premise is enticing. Usually, I just get disappointed. There are some pubs that just aren't your cup of tea, that is definitely mine. Great honest review, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other experiences with them have been great, so this was disappointing :(

      Delete
  11. I actually consider it a bad sign when the blurb for a book is so long and gives away so much. LOL I've never fainted either :P I can't stand books when I'm annoyed with the MC since we're stuck in their head. Love the review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such long blurbs always concern me too. In this case, it was a sign to stay away :p

      Delete
  12. This one sounds pre-tty awful. Like you pointed out, for an 'emotionless' soldier, she sure feels a lot. Especially when it comes to guys (of course - sigh). Yeah, good chance I'll be staying away from this one. No, thank, and you.

    Great review, Mel! (Also, I love you for using that GIF.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course, love is a feeling they always have, no matter what..

      Delete
  13. Sorry that this wasn't a great read for you, Mel! I know how it feels, reading a mediocre book. I've seen a lot of negative reviews for this one though, especially from trusted friends, and I think I'll be staying far away from it. I hate it when a book labels itself as Dystopian and fail at the world-building! That's like one of the MOST important aspects of it!

    hope your next read is better!

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes. Sorry to see another book you didn't like. Love the gif but Caden sounds terrible (among other things). I'll obviously be taking your advice and staying well clear of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of I love the gif!!!! LOL it's hilarious. Anyhow I have read this book and quite enjoyed it. But I guess that's mostly because I don't read blurbs so everything here was a surprise to me. So sorry you didn't enjoy it but great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not reading the blurb would definitely add more enjoyment to the story!

      Delete
  16. I downloaded this from netgalley,but now I am having second thoughts.I liked Howard's Waterfel,so I expected more from this book.
    Great gif by the way.I love Loki:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've not read this one, but I've read Amalie Howard's other novel, Waterfell (is it called that? I can't remember) and I'm sad to say, I really disliked it. The protagonist was annoying, and the instalove irked me so much because it hardly had a basis, and the plot had many loopholes too. Seeing that maybe there's been no improvement in this novel, I think I'm going to hesitate picking it up, really. Especially since you only gave it a one, and because you hardly ever do that! :O So nope, I don't think I'm going to let time slip by with this one!
    However, wonderful review as usual, Mel!! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is! It seems like she has the same style in her books..

      Delete
  18. I feel your pain Mel! I don't like it when books are super predictable; it makes the story boring and slow, unless they can pull it off with gorgeous writing.
    Oh goodness. I don't like it when authors try to write characters that are supposed to be emotionless, yet feels TONS of emotions. I think that was the same problem Some Quiet Place had.
    Aww, really? I just hate it when the girls in the book drop all their common sense and go all out and crazy over some lame boy they met a few days ago. -sighs-
    Great review Mel; I'll definitely be avoiding this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0