Review 236. Cayla Kluver – The Queen’s choice.

14624979Title: The queen’s choice.
Author: Cayla Cluver.
Pages: 512.
Published: January 28th 2014 by Harlequin Teen.
Sort: Heirs of Chrior #1.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Magic was seeping out of me, black and agonizing. I could see it drifting away. The magic that would let me pass the Road to reach home again. When sixteen-year-old Anya learns that her aunt, Queen of the Faerie Kingdom of Chrior, will soon die, her grief is equaled only by her despair for the future of the kingdom. Her young cousin, Illumina, is unfit to rule, and Anya is determined not to take up the queen's mantle herself. Convinced that the only solution is to find Prince Zabriel, who long ago disappeared into the human realm of Warckum, and persuade him to take up his rightful crown, Anya journeys into the Warckum Territory to bring him home. But her journey is doomed to be more harrowing than she ever could have imagined…
Rating:

I’m not sure what is going on, but most of the books I’ve been reading lately are ‘meh’. I was in need of a book to blow me away and I was hoping to find it in The queen’s choice. Unfortunately, it wasn’t what I was looking for. This book ended up being a slow-paced story where almost nothing happens. I never had the feeling I was sucked into the story and I was always looking for more.


The first thing where this book goes wrong for me is the plot. It’s very thin and with the sickening slow pace, it’s not the most exciting tale. With a magical place where the fey live next to our land, the search for a lost prince and the hunt on fairies, I was hoping to get something more interesting. The world-building was definitely good, but the promise failed to deliver.

Anya, who is chosen to be the heir after the announcement that the Queen will die soon, loses her wings when she ventures into the human world. She hopes to find the prince before her cousin, Illumina, does. She teams up with a human girl called Mary and this is where all the problems start. Her time in Chrior was good, but things went downhill in our land. The two of them definitely know how to get into difficult situations, but I never felt any tension or excitement. Things just happened, they fixed it and they moved on. There was never a climax and with 512 pages, I would have expected more.

The next problem is my disconnection with any of the characters. I liked some, but I don’t have the idea I know them. Illumina was by far the most fascinating, with her desire to carve things into her body and her weird, almost crazy way of thinking. Anya isn’t a bad character either. She is strong and I like how determined she is. At the same time, she is a bit too rash and jumps easily into dangerous situations. Her sidekick Mary/Shae was okay. She has her way with words and I like that she did everything to protect her family.

I want to give credits for the fact that Kluver stayed away from any fairy cliches and that there is hardly any romance. Anya is already in a relationship and her tension for a human guy was a nice addition. It would have been much better with less pages and more engaging developments. The ending provided a twist and combined with the good writing-style, it might be enough to make me read the next installment.

29 comments

  1. OMG this book was such a snooze. I was so bored reading it myself, nothing happened at all. The ending was a bit better so that's what got it 2 *, but other than that I won't be reading more in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that's a long book! I don't think I would have been read it without a climax being in sight. Thanks for the great review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I honestly thought this was a mermaid book. For some reason the water of the cover made me go, yep, it's a mermaid book (clearly I didn't bother reading the blurb :P) Not really sure if I want to read this book because fairy books can be kinda hit or miss. I guess you did say that there aren't too many fairy cliches, so that sounds promising!
    Although the plot sounds like it's a bit slow, I think I might be okay with this one if the world building is pretty good. I can often overlook crappy plot and characters if the worldbuilding is done well haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it at first too, before I read the blurb, haha.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, I know what you mean about lack of tension and build up :( I hate it when things just happen and then... nothing. There's only that empty feeling and a thought going through your mind along the lines of, "And soooo....?" I've had my fair share of books ending up the same way and it's really frustrating when I don't get invested enough.

    and 512 pages! I don't think I can ever survive reading that much without enough development and build-up. It'd be like reading a textbook :|

    hope your next read is better! :)

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really felt 'what did I read?' because there is just.. nothingness.

      Delete
  5. Aw, I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy this one. It sucks when you read books that you don't enjoy :\ I'm trying to read one right now, but I can't get myself to continue, lol :p Thank you for sharing and being honest, though <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this cover and almost been pulled in at least three times before realizing who wrote it. I had such a huge problem with Kluver's style in her Legacy series, and knew to stay away from this one. 512 pages is LONG for YA, even fantasy, and if this book is anything like her other series was, probably 150 pages could have been cut and the story would have been the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely! I think even -300 would have worked, haha.

      Delete
  7. Slow pacing and a lack of connection to the characters would be a real turn off for me. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much! Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been having the same luck with books lately, too, they all annoy me or end up being very underwhelming. I hope we both get out of this slump soon! It sounds like the pacing would be way to slow for me as well. And the "they fix it and move on" bit is one issue I had with Killer Instinct recently. Sounds like it needed a bit more excitement or overall conflict. And it's also hard when you don't really connect to the characters :( Hopefully the next book will be the winner you were looking for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm reading a book I love right now :)!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I've had many periods of reading like that. You get meh book after meh book until you suddenly hit a string of amazing ones then it's back to meh/likeable books again.

    I had similar problems with Kluver's debut series. It was just meh overall. Some elements were good, the characters I loved weren't the main ones, and overall it's just okay. I still need to read the final book... I'm surprised that The Queen's Choice doesn't have much romance at all, because her other series has so many sappy scenes that make me roll my eyes and a love triangle that's not even really a triangle...

    Lovely review! I hope your reading experiences improve soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, it's happening right now :)! Well, at least she got it right on the romance aspect this time.

      Delete
  10. 512 pages is a lot, especially when it feels like nothing is happening and it is lacking in tension. Too bad. I hope your next read ends up being less meh, more amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I gave up this ARC after just a few pages.I know I have to get to it soon,I am not getting an inspiration.Just with those few pages,I could say that the story is going to be dragging.
    Hope you'll find a good book soon,Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got this one for review but might not end up reviewing it now by the looks of all the reviews so far! This sounds like a totally trainwreck! *sigh* I hope you read a better book soon!

    Lovely review, chick! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend just leaving this one and focusing on more interesting stories!

      Delete
  13. I've literally been reading this been for since before it was released. ==' I just can't seem to get into it. I might DNF it but it seems like there are a few promising things. I'll see, hopefully I'll finish it off though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate books like this - super long and super slow, almost like it's trying to make me DNF it. I'm surprised you managed to finish it. Hope your next reader is better :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok I only peaked at the rating cause I haven't read this yet and really want to. Sometimes do you find you develop bias before reading if you read your friend's reviews?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, good question, but I think the answer is 'no' for me. I'm pretty good in making my own opinion, no matter what other people think! :)

      Delete
  16. Aw, Mel. I could have saved you the trouble, I tried to read the author's debut and it was....pretty all over the place. I'm sorry you were disappointed. :(

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  17. 512 pages is long for something like this! I'm sorry you didn't like it!!! I was hoping it would be good too. I mean that cover just portrays that it is fantasy and intense, so it should deliver on that. Bummer. Thanks, Mel! And thanks for stopping by my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh I know exactly what you mean when you say things just happened and they fixed them, how there was no tension or excitement. I read a book like this that just felt too easy and never really stirred any feelings. It was a big let-down for me. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.