Monday, March 31, 2014 10:50

Monthly recap | March '14.Sushi.

I always enjoy watching recaps from other bloggers, so that’s why I’ll be posting my own recaps. This wrap up is also my new ‘Showcase Sunday’ since I don’t have the time to do weekly hauls. Instead, I hope to capture it in vlogs every now and then.
OUAT
Life: the weather has been pretty good lately! I went to a park nearby with my boyfriend and I fell asleep while reading, haha. I also had a nice day of shopping with my mother and sister. I went  to the beach for a delicious dinner with family & boyfriend, I had the first Game of Thrones series day with friends and a lovely evening over at my boyfriend’s brother where I kicked their butts with darts. I also had another bookclub meeting tonight, where we discussed Emma from Jane Austen and ate sushi.

School: we had to give a presentation ever week and I had one this month. It makes me feel sick for days, but in the end I got a 7. We talked about different topics these past weeks: Antibiotic resistance, hospital diseases, zoonosis and other upcoming hospital diseases. It’s unbelievable how many outbreaks there actually are! I have a lot of ‘free’ time now to prepare for my upcoming test about all the subjects, a review about a self-picked topic and preparations for my intern for 3 months. My intern will be a research on biofilms on swimming pool toys, like those noodles. Not something I’m very interested in, but I had to do something.. My review will be about prevention from biofilms on medical equipment, but I’m still not sure what specifics I’m going to choose. I’m stressing out!

Read
1. Karen Foxlee – Ophelia and the Marvelous boy (3.5/5)
2. A.C Gaughen – Lady thief (5+) *fangirls*
3. J. Nelle Patrick – Tsarina (3/5)
4. Brandy Purdy –The Boleyn Bride (3/5)
5. Julie Murphy – Side effects may vary (2.5/5)
6. Dan Wells –Ruins (4.5/5)
7. Cathrynne M. Valente – The girl who ruled fairyland for a while (novella, 3/5)
8. Michelle Diener – The golden apple (3/5)
9. Gabel & Klam – Elusion (3/5)
10. Katherine Ewell – Dear killer (1/5)
11. Colleen Oakes – Queen of hearts (3.5/5)
12. Sarah Strohmeyer – Smart girls get what they want (4/5)
13. Yvonne Ventresca – Pandemic (2/5)
14. Julie Kagawa – The forever song (4.5/5)
15. Sarah Strohmeyer – The secrets of Lily Graves (2.5/5)
16. Veronica Roth – Divergent (5/5 re-read)
17. Veronica Roth – Insurgent (3/5 re-read)
18. Anthology – Dear bully (3.5/5)
Watched
Highlights:
I am binge-watching The office with my boyfriend. It’s so hilarious and I love Michael Scott. Jim/Pam are also adorable and Dwight *snickers* We’re watching season 6 now.
I went to the cinema with some friends to see Ride Along, it was funny. I saw That awkward moment with my sister, more romantic than funny, but we liked it.
I’ve started re-watching season 3 of OUAT with my sister. The new season has started and I’ve missed it so much! Lots of Emma/Hook moments so far, my shipper heart is happy.
I’m still up to date with the Big Bang Theory, 2 broke girls, Originals and New Girl.
I finally saw Pitch Perfection, one of my sisters favorite movies, and it was cute.
I re-watched Identity Thief, I love the part where she starts singing in the car.
Last night I went to The book thief in the cinema with my sister and it was awkward. I was sobbing all the way, haha. That doesn't happen most of the times, but damn. What a beautiful movie, despite some changes. The cast was really good too. They did the book justice.

Statistics
Goodreads: 40 / 115 (35%), 13 books ahead.
TBR pile: 11 / 21. (52%)
Review pile: 19 / 21. (90%)
Dystopian: 6 /19. (32%)
Series: 3 / 12. (25%)
Fairy tale: 11 / 16. (69%)
Bingo: 18/ 25 squares. (72%)

Haul
For some reason, I am loved by Rafflecopter, because I was picked again for the giveaway on A reader of fictions. I picked The winner’s curse by Marie Rutkoski.

16069030

I also broke my book buying ban & requesting ban, but I did it with a good reason. You see, I’ve been wanting to read Feather Bound from the moment I read the blurb, because it says ‘twisted truth of Cinderella.’ I also enjoyed Cassandra Rose Clarke’s other series and The Wizard’s promise is a spin-off, so I had to request it (and look at the gorgeous covers!) I’ve been enjoying all the publications from Strange Chemistry, so I snatched Essence away too.

1782917518310322cover45234-medium

I think we all have those publishers who deny us no matter what *looking at you Disney Hyperion*, so I wasn’t expecting to get accepted for this book from Disney press. I’m so happy they did! I’ve been looking for a good mermaid book for a while, so I hope Deep blue is the one. I was also accepted for Whisper Falls.

cover44560-mediumcover45041-medium

When I went to the bookshop I found two books I couldn’t resist buying. Days of blood and starlight has been on my wish list for a while now and since I love fantasy, I couldn’t ignore the hardcover from City of a thousand dolls. I didn’t get the pretty cover for Days of blood and starlight, but it was only 7 euro’s. When I looked in the new section I was surprised by a copy of The assassin’s blade! So yeah, I HAD to buy it. I’m a fangirl of this series and I loved the novella’s. I’m not ashamed for breaking my ban, because it’s the first time in 2 months I bought something.

120842781338918218243700

That’s it for this month! Do you have any highlights when it comes to your personal life? Or just something you like to share about this month? What were the best books you’ve read? Which series/movies did you watch? Any recommendations?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

55 comments:

  1. I'm seeing a lot of 3 star reviews, Mel! While that isn't a bad thing, it isn't great, either. D: So I hope for more 4-5 star reviews for April. <3 And I really need to read & watch Game of Thrones! My dad binge watched the series without me. Thanks, dad. :/ And The Book Thief as well! It seems like I'm missing out on a lot. ;( Feather Bound was a DNF for me, sadly. But Essence and Deep Blue both look so lovely. Happy reading, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a better month than February, so if I continue April is going to be very good :D Yes, you should! It's a fantastic TV show and the book is pretty good too (am reading part 2 now) The book thief <3 and I'm sorry to hear that about Feather bound.

      Delete
  2. You follow OUAT as well? I think I love u Mel :D
    And it seems I've got just the opposite if luck in giveaways..I've won only 2-3 times altogether within the past few years and I'm NOT happy..and you were going to turn it down? Life's so unfair>.< :p I've been wanting to read The Winner's Curse for long now, and finally got my review copy ^.^ Enjoy your read!

    p.s. when did you change ur blog design? it's so p-r-e-t-t-y!

    Munira @ In Vogue with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OF COURSE. Fairytales :D My design changed somewhere in February, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you managed to read a lot of books this month! Once my exams are done, I can go back to reading again. Just one more week. I can wait (can't can't can't!). Alas, Strange Chemistry hates me and I got declined for Feather Bound and The Wizard's spell, both of which I very badly wanted to read. Rafflecopter hates me too. Never won a single giveaway. You're so lucky :) Enjoy, Mel!
    City of a Thousand Dolls sounds fantastic! Do read it soon and write a review and if it is as fantastic as its blurb, I shall read it too!
    Happy Reading!

    - Hershey @ Miss Readiculous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky so have some more free time, which I now regret because I have to do a lot in a short amount of time now, haha. Awhhhh, that's a shame :( It's the same with me and Disney Hyperion (and I do love Disney so much, haha)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with school! I started my final class this week and it's my last class before I get my Bachelor's Degree so I'm kind of excited and anxious at the same time. I read a lot of books this month! I haven't had a good reading month in awhile! I hope next month is great for you in all things :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with school, looks like you've been reading a lot this month too. Thank you for sharing this, some of the books I had not heard of before. Will definitely check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried binge watching The Office once... and got to season 2 .-. I forgot why I gave up though. I am probably going to pick it up over the summer again! :) YAY FOR THE 7!!! :D :D I despise presentations because I have serious stage fright. .-. but I have one tomorrow so hopefully I will wing it.

    You seem to have read a lot of mediocre books this month .-. but that one 5 does make things better doesn't it? .-. I haven't read a single 5 star book this year so far so it's kind of bringing me down :/

    CONGRATS ON WINNING! :D AND being approved by those publishers that never seem to approve you .-. (someday Disney, you'll approve me too. I AM TELLING YOU :P) Also I've heard wonderful things about City of a Thousand Dolls so I really hope you enjoy that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a funny show. I hope you nailed your presentation! And yes, you can't always read perfect books, so when you find one it's extra special :D

      Delete
  7. Ah, Mel, good luck with school! While I don't have confusing medical terms to present and decipher and whatnot, I have so much stress in that area as well so just know you're not alone ;) I LOVE that you read so many books though, my gosh, cheesiness aside, you're an inspiration. I need to watch The Office SOMETIME. And that haul. It's amazing. I've heard fantastic things about the Winner's Curse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, let's be stressed out together :D Haha *blush* I just had a good month!

      Delete
  8. Presentations *shudders* I hate them, like how you said they make you feel sick in your stomach (its exactly the same for me). I'm glad you got a good grade! All the medical stuff you talked about seems interesting, though I'll leave that to my sister (Who just got news that she passed the first round of Decentrale Selectie, which was a huge relief for her!)

    The weather has been pretty good so far hasn't it? I hope it stays this way, makes the days seem so much brighter and fun! I took a break from blogging, I just got overwhelmed with exam stuff and I am still waiting for the big Yes or No from University (Too much stress at the moment) so the nice weather has been a nice change :)

    Nice book haul! I got the Assassin's Blade as well, I'd preordered it a while back and hope to start on it soon (seeing as you recommended it to me as well *winks*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Congratulations for her :)! And good luck with your application *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  9. I started watching The Musketeers and The 100 this month and both shows are very good so far. I think you would like them too.

    Having to do so many presentations would have killed me. I hate speaking in front of crowds! Luckily that's over now and you survived. You need to tell me your secret on how you manage to read so many books, see 8 movies and still work hard for school at the same time, haha, you're like superwoman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Musketeers is on my watch list! :) My secret, uhmmm. Time management I guess? I always watch a couple of episodes before going to sleep and I read whenever I have free time :p

      Delete
  10. I felt like the biggest idiot while watching The Book Thief. It was so beautiful and I sobbed so much and my friend whom I went with is heartless and it was awkward. Really. But that movie gosh. I can only imagine how it would be if I haven't read the book. God, help us.
    Now I'm glad that everything is great with you and I hope you'll pass all your exams with flying colors. Also I started The Wizard's Promise but I have got a feeling like I should have read the other series first. Great post, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I warned my sister I was going to cry, haha, so she was prepared for my sob fest.

      Delete
  11. Ahhhhh Hook/Swan makes me SO FREAKING HAPPY. I'm a little behind since the second half of season 3 has started, but I am fully expecting lots and lots of Captain Swan to make me happy! AND I convinced another blogging friend to watch the series solely with a gif of Hook. That is power right there :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a fantastic month in books! Happy April reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aah, the Assassins Blade! I have that too, but haven't read it yet! Cannot wait, especially after reading your reviews of the shorts! I wish I had managed 18 books in a month, but I am very very slow when it comes to reading right now, so I doubt I managed 10! Oh well! It looks like you've had a great (if busy) month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate presentations too, but your classes sound like lots of fun. Whenever I get a nice chunk of free time I'll try binge watching OUAT. Solely for Hook of course :D I see you've had an alright month book wise as well. So many 2-3 stars, it's depressing, hope April is better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Office is probably my favorite TV show of all time! I love the subtle humor and the amazing characters! Michael Scott is brilliant as he walks that fine line between overly obnoxious and overbearing to sweet, empathizing and caring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, sometimes you think 'what a douche' and the next moment 'awhhh, such a cutie'

      Delete
  16. Ooo so many good books to look forward to!! The Winner's Curse is an absolutely gorgeous book. Just look at that cover!! I can't imagine anyone walking away from it :P I see you have picked up a couple books from Strange Chemistry too. It is becoming clear to me the everything Strange Chemistry is GOLD. I love their books and their authors, and they somehow always manages to surprise me with their qualities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are growing to be one of the publishers with the best books for me!

      Delete
  17. Ack, you had such an amazing month. I AM JEALOUS. <3 Hih. And you got some amazing books as well :) Sigh. I also really, really love Once Upon a Time. <3 So much. Shipping the same, hih ;p Hope you will have an amazing April as well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, seems like everyone dislikes Dear Killer. I only gave it 2 stars and haven't seen a single review yet with more than that :D It's sad because I loved the idea and the cover.

    You got some great books! City of a thousand Dolls is on my wishlist and I can't wait to get it! And Days of Blood and Starlight is amazing (loved it even more than the first book)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm at forty books read on my GR challenge too! *highfive* I see you read Smart Girls What They Want! I gave that one a 4/5 too! Eeep, I super need to catch up with 2 Broke Girls, The Originals and New Girl! Hope your April turns out to be fantastic, Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daaang you're doing so well with your reading goals, Mel! Great job :-D I'm doing really bad lol because I was in a 3 month long reading AND blogging slump. I just stayed away and felt like doing my homework and chores instead of reading. That's how bad it was, but now I'm back (hopefully I won't be having any slumps for a long time haha). I'd have to check out Lady Thief because you loved it although I've never heard of that book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you, thanks you! I hope you get out of your slumps soon :) Lady Thief is part two of a series (and part 1 is just as good!)

      Delete
  21. I actually like that cover of DoB&S better than the girl version. If I had the actual copy I would suggest a tradsies! I tried to grab an ebook of The Wizard's Promise but wasn't approved, which oh well, I want that cover anyways. So unique and there is aurora borealis in the background, which I find fascinating.

    I've probably seen Pitch Perfect a half dozen times now. Love it to pieces, esp. the commentary by Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins during the competition scenes:

    Gail: I think we have just seen some a cappella history being made, John.

    John: And from an all-female group, Gail. I could never have called this one.

    Gail: Well, you are a misogynist at heart, so there's no way you would have bet on these girls to win.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The weather is so breezy and spring-y at home, I love it.

    Good luck for school, Mel. Presentations always make me nervous and squeamish.

    18 books this month, wow. Impressive. I only read 8, ha ha. I loved Angelfall, though and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

    Yay, I'm so stoked for The Assassin’s Blade and I'll be starting Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I did it! I guess I had the opposite of a reading slump :p

      Delete
  23. Binge watching is the best way to watch a show - in my opinion. I love getting caught up in all the drama and such. I'm currently obsessively watching Prison Break on Netflix.

    March was a pretty good reading month for you - some good, some bad I see. I've had a really good reading month in terms of enjoying my reads and it seems to be carrying on over in to April - I'm currently reading Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas.

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Feather Bound because that synopsis has me intrigued!

    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, although it's sometimes fun to wait full excitement for the next episode to air :D

      Delete
  24. OMG I thought it was only me with Disney Hyperion on NG! I keep on thinking maybe it's because I'm an Aussie blogger, but looks like I'm not the only one. How lovely it is to read in the park, that must be so relaxing, especially since you fell asleep!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Mel, you are so on top of your reading and your tv shows, seriously how do you do it? I tink I'm like 10 books behind on my reading challenge and the only show I'm able to keep up with at the moment is Scandal, I so need to catch up with New Girl asap! And breaking your book buying ban was totally worth it! Look at all the pretties! I loved Days of Blood and Starlight and I have been meaning to by a copy of The Assasin's Blade. I hope you enjoy all your reads and that April ends up being another great month for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some free time and I guess I was just lucky with my time management this month! And yes, it was so worth it :D

      Delete
  26. I get super anxious before presentations too and I had like 3 of them in March *shudders*. Oh, something new in my life is that I'm the new secretary for the French honor society. Don't know how that happened actually haha. OMG the cover for the Assassin's Blade is so beautiful. Also, you read so much in March! I need to catch up on my challenge this month so I'll be attempting to read every chance I get.

    Some shows I binged this past month were Veronica Mars and The Walking Dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horror! Luckily we both survived :D Congratulations with your new position! Veronica Mars is still a series I need to catch up with, haha. I've seen the first.. 6 episodes from season 1, I believe.

      Delete
  27. I love to do presentations up until the point where I have to deliver it, ha. I'm glad you did well :) Oh, biofilms on medical equipment? Let us know what you picked ;) Seems like it was mostly a great month for you reading wise though you did have some not very likable reads. I hope April is even better for you :) and yay for such a great haul, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with The formation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms on urinary catheters :) (that's a mouth full, haha)

      Delete
  28. It sounds like you've had a really fantastic March! :) I can't believe how many books you've read. That's mental. I wish I could get through books that fast. So happy to see that you're loving Strange Chemistry titles too :) they're absolutely brilliant.

    Good luck with your internship/ work/ exams etc :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow you had an spectacular March from the looks of it (oral presentations aside!) Lots of time with loved ones and family! Lots of good tv and amazing books :D I was the same way about oral presentations though, whenever I had to do them for school or Uni. Glad you made it through ok!

    I watch Big Bang Theory and The Originals too - I used to watch The Office all the time...I feel like a re-watch might be in order sometime. They can be so freaking funny! You got some amazing books as well: The Assassin's Blade, Days of Blood & Starlight AND City of a Thousand Dolls :D Oh and I've heard nothing but positive things for The Winners Curse too, can't wait to see how you'll like all of these! Here's to an ever better April xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Again, you amaze me with how much you do in a month! But yay books, and life, and shows. Boo to school. I can sympathize with you on that one! (I am avoiding a paper right now actually!) I hope April is an awesome month for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0