Review 240. Dan Wells – Ruins.

17607716Title: Ruins.
Author: Dan Wells.
Pages: 464.
Published: March 11th 2014 by Balzer + Bray
Sort: Partials sequence #3.
Part 1: Partials.
Part 2: Fragments.
Source: I received an ARC from the publisher.
Link: Goodreads.
Kira, Samm, and Marcus fight to prevent a final war between Partials and humans in the gripping final instalment in the Partials Sequence, a series that combines the thrilling action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Blade Runner and The Stand. There is no avoiding it—the war to decide the fate of both humans and Partials is at hand. Both sides hold in their possession a weapon that could destroy the other, and Kira Walker has precious little time to prevent that from happening. She has one chance to save both species and the world with them, but it will only come at great personal cost.
Rating:

*Applauds* Well done, Dan Wells, you did it. This book makes up for the disappointing Fragments. The world-building is better, the characters more developed and the story is exciting. There aren't many books out there with such a solid biological aspect and that was by far my favorite part of this series.

”Love is when you find something so great, so.. necessary, that it becomes more important to you than your own goals, than your own life – not because your life has no meaning without it, but because it gives your life a meaning it never had before.”

Small spoilers if you haven't read the previous books and you don't want to know a thing. Otherwise, you're good to go, I don't tell many details.

There are different story-lines, which helps to see the situation from several POV’s. It’s handled with grace and it wasn't overwhelming. The main story floats smoothly through all the stories and combines them in an perfect ending. I loved  it.

To tell the big lines:  Kira is tested by Dr. Morgan and when they can’t find the answers in her DNA, she escapes to find a group of Partials. It’s still not completely realistic that a seventeen-year-old girl discovers the solution instead of Dr. Morgan, who has been looking for a solution for years, but okay. We see more of Delarosa, who wants to destroy all the Partials with her secret mission and Kira’s friends who try to protect the first healthy baby. Like I said, there is a lot going on and this makes the story thrilling. There is not a single boring moment and I was captivated from the moment I started.

About the characters: Kira is still a smart cookie. I like her attitude and how she wants to sacrifice her life to save everyone. The only down side is that she doesn't sees her own value, which makes her a bit rash. Her feelings are also a jumbling mess and I didn't care for the somewhat love-triangle that tries to introduce itself.  What I also liked is the fact that every character has it’s own voice. The secondary characters aren't blended together in one voice and that provides a good cast.

The biological aspect: It all sounds plausible. It’s clear that Wells knows what he talks about (or he just knows how to deliver it.) The concept of this book has been good from the beginning and he keeps the quality. The cure makes sense (I secretly expected this to be the cure too, but that didn't make it less enjoyable) and it’s good to see a book that doesn't talk bullshit when it comes to the biology. I believed it.

The ending: YES, this is how you end a series. A good conclusion to the story, but still enough room to think about the future. Every question is answered and I was genuinely happy how everything came together. You might say it’s a bit too-happily-ever-after, but seeing how much suffering there has been for years, I don’t mind, it was satisfying.

I look forward to more work of this author and I'm going to end this review with one of the best quotes in this book:

“Nobody has a destiny. I mean, nobody has some kind of inescapable path for their life. This mug was made from clay, and that clay could have been anything at all until somebody made it into a mug. People aren't mugs, we are clay. Living, breathing, thinking, feeling clay, and we can shape ourselves into anything we want, and we keep shaping ourselves all our lives, getting better and better at whatever we want to be, and when we want to be something else we just smooth out the clay and start over. Your lack of 'purpose' is the single best thing about you, because it means you can be whatever you want.”

24 comments

  1. I am glad to hear the ending was solid! I haven't started this series yet but I just might now knowing that it turns out well! And the science part of it really calls to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it assuring if I see that a series ends well. I don't like having experiences like Delirium.. :p

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet either but I've always been intrigued by the concept and all the love the series gets. Plus, you can't go wrong when a series has a good ending and makes up for a mediocre second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost like the second book wasn't meant to be there in the first place.. You could practically skip it :p

      Delete
  3. Yeah! I'm so glad this one worked for you Mel - especially the ending - it's always good to end on a good note, right? ;) I read Partials a little while ago, but for some reason I just never got around to reading Fragments or Ruins, but I think you've convinced me to continue the series now! I'm all for great characterization, well-explained world-building, and a gripping story!

    Thanks for sharing, and, as always, brilliant review! :D

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I really hope you continue the series :)

      Delete
  4. Nothing is more satisfying in reading that sticking with a series and being rewarded with a great ending! So glad to hear this one gave you the ending your were hoping for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own the first book of this series and now and more determined to give it a try soon!

    Lovely review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many fantastic things about this series, especially this last one! The covers are turnoffs for me, but I'll have to pick them up soon! Yay for smart cookies and wonderful endings! Fabulous review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I'm so glad to hear that the series ends with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great, I'm glad it made up for the past disappointing book! I am glad it ended well will have to pick it up :)

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh! I need to start the first book even more now! I have book 1 here with me but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. At least I know it will end satisfactorily so there's something to look forward to! :D

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Sometimes series can be destroyed by a lousy ending, but this series is worth your time :D

      Delete
  10. Well I don't want to read too much into the review since I haven't read Partials. I have it on shelf staring me in the face. I've been wanting to give the series a try for sometime now and to see that the final book was pretty good gives me motivations :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! I wasn't really interested in reading this series, but after skimming your review, I've decided to change my mind and read this. It sounds fantastic! Thanks for adding to my TBR ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome review, Mel :D I'm glad you were happy with this book. <3 thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohweeee!!! I can't wait to read this too ^^ I'm so glad to hear it was great; Dan Wells really soars at the Biological aspect, doesn't he? ;) That is the thing that really intrigues me!! However, I'm sad to see that it became a love triangle D: It seemed a little inevitable, though! :(
    Great review, Mel!! :D <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely! I look forward to more work from him and I hope he brings more biological stories into the world :D

      Delete
  14. I'm so excited to read this book! I'm thinking about rereading the first two books though. not sure if I remember enough,lol. But glad to hear that Ruins has a great ending in store.

    You MUST read his John Cleaver series if you haven't yet! It's awesome. Different than this one but really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that re-reading isn't REALLY necessarily. The story was easy to follow :)

      Delete
  15. In your review you state that it is not realistic that Kira finds the partial cure instead of Morgan, who has been searching for years.

    This is slightly false, though Morgan's search for the failsafe cure only started when she learned about it, which was at the beginning of the first book, nearly 2 years earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.