Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:42

Review 245. Danielle L. Jensen - Stolen Songbird.


17926775Title
: Stolen Songbird.
Author: Danielle L. Jensen.
Pages: 463.
Expected publication: April 1st 2014 by Strange Chemistry.
Sort: Part 1 of ‘The Malediction Trilogy.’
Source: I received an ARC from the publisher. I'm also part of the blog tour.
Goodreads.
Author spotlight: interview with Danielle L. Jensen.
For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined. Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity. But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader. As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.
Rating:

I was captured by the fantastic story and characters. The story takes some time to really kick in, so some might call it slow paced, but I think it was just right. This is my first troll book and Danielle assured that it won’t be my last one - and if you like magic, a sweet romance and a rebellion, I think you'll say the same.

Summary:
Cécile is kidnapped and sold to the trolls who are captured under the mountains by a witch’s curse. They believe Cécile is the one from the prophecy: the girl who is going to break the curse. She is bound to Tristan, prince of Trollus, and now it’s time for her to wait for the best opportunity to escape. Until they start to fall in love with each other. Perhaps it is her call to free the trolls after all.. Cécile is starting to find her place in Trollus and she even discovers new things about herself.

Review:
The writing-style was superb. I was transported to the world of Trollus and I walked side-by-side with Cécile. The setting was magical and I was sucked into the story, which has a very interesting and complex plot without being overwhelming. I liked the story behind the curse and the witch who cast it on Trollus.

Cécile is now an important piece for the King, who is a madman and one of the most powerful trolls. He wants to break the curse in order to increase his empire. This gives a lot of tension in Trollus, because there are rebels who want to overthrow the king. There is also magic and explanations how it exactly works. Danielle makes sure that everything has enough background information - without info dump - to make it plausible.

I’m also happy to announce that these things play the main role in the story, because the romance is there to add something extra to the story: sweetness! Cécile and Tristan can’t stand each other. She is forced to leave her whole world behind to marry an arrogant troll who seems to be the same as every other troll: he despises humans. I loved their amusing conversations and it’s clear from the beginning that there is chemistry between them. It takes some time for both of them to figure that out. They are cute together and the ‘I love you’s’ didn’t bother me so much – I felt the timing was good enough to handle that. They spend enough time to get to know each other and this comes from someone who prefers to have as-less-romance-as-possible.

”Ha, ha,” Tristan snorted. “How dreadfully clever. And speaking of clever, is this to be your bid for escape?” He contemplated my clothing. “In a dressing gown and bare feet? Now tell me, if I go put on nightclothes and slippers might I join you or  is this a solo adventure?”

Cécile is a wonderful character. She is believable, because she has different aspects. She is strong and intelligent, but she is also sad and angry. There are moments where she loses some of her control and says hurtful things that she regrets later. She makes some stupid decisions, but she also knows how to trick others by being clever. It was fun being around her. Then there is Tristan, the troll who is doomed to be heir. I immediately liked him and his sarcastic humor. I appreciate what he does to protect his people and he would be a good leader. He is so protective over Cécile, it's adorable (but not in the way most guys are. He is aware that Cécile is able to stand up for herself too)

tumblr_my7giaZa1l1re93aho1_500

The ending is just plain cruel! It fits the story and it wasn’t a frustrating open-ending, but I definitely could use the second book right now! If you look for a fantasy with a solid world-building, adorable romance and interesting characters, Stolen Songbird is the book for you!


author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

36 comments:

  1. Thank you for the fantastic review Mel! I only recently added this to my TBR, so I am very excited to begin the trilogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so crazy, I've read a few reviews on this book (all brilliant ratings by the way) and this is the first time I've noticed that the troll is the love interest. A TROLL! That is crazy, insane and brilliant and I need to read this. Lovely review Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it took some time to change my view of the trolls too :p

      Delete
  3. So many people I know love this book so much and have been praising the heroine. It's neat because so many MCs nowadays are simply too stupid to live, too perfect to be true, or are too impulsive for their own good (weird I'm saying that considering in ways I am impulsive myself!). I love that this heroine is clever and yet not perfect at the same time. That just makes her so much relatable. Plus, trolls! When have you ever seen trolls as not something big and monstrous in YA books? awesomesauce!

    Great review, Mel!!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Cécile was just such a normal girl. It made it so easy to connect with her :)

      Delete
  4. Aww, you make this book sound pretty adorable. I'm glad you liked it so much :D Amazing review Mel. <3 Very happy that you loved the romance. But ahh. Worried about ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review Mel! I pretty much loved everything about this story even though I was dubious at first about how much I would like a story centered on trolls! :) I totally agree with you on the ending - it wraps up the story of Book 1, but there's still a cliffhanger to make me depressed I don't have the 2nd book already! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle is busy with writing, I can't wait to read the sequel <3

      Delete
  6. I wasn't aware of this book. *hides in shame* I gather from your review that you totally enjoyed your time reading this. And that makes me want to read it, too. *add it to my TBR*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeek, I *just* featured this one as my WoW pick yesterday - I am SO kicking myself for not requesting an arc when they were available! I am so happy you enjoyed this one so much Mel, you are the 2nd trusted blogger who's review I've read praised this one and made me want to read it even more :D I've never read a story where trolls were front and center like this so just that aspect makes it worth checking out to me! You're praise on the writing style and world-building is super exciting. Thanks for the lovely review ^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far, all reviews I've read of this book is all positive. I do love how trolls, who have always been either ugly, evil, dumb and lumpy are portrayed so differently and is the actual love interest! That's just so refreshing. It looks like the main character is really likable too, we don't often get that. Even books I end up loving I get frustrated by the heroine at times. I will put this on my wishlist. Lovely review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She made some of the trolls sound very attractive. Completely different from the normal view :) and Cécile is the best!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic review Mel, the world sounds wonderful and the more I read reviews the more I am convinced I need to grab this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this too. The ending is a bit crushing, but I think it sets up a potentially epic middle book. The dual pov will work better too. Great review and glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tossed up requesting this book, but I'm not usually sure if I'll like epic fantasies. Gah, sometimes they're sooo long and I just lose my brain trying to understand the epic world-building. But this? This sounds awesome. And I do adore the cover (that totally counts, right?!). XD But cliff hanger endings? Agh, aren't they such killers?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world-building is easy to understand. I bet you'll be swept away by it :D

      Delete
  12. Oh I *cannot* wait to read this one! I just *love* a romance where the couple starts out hating each other. The banter is always epic. Thanks for the review. I'm more excited than ever now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book is getting so much hype! I'm really excited to read this one :) Lovely review!

    - @MissReadiculous

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh that gif is perfect for this book! I'm so happy that this book is doing so well :D. It's bloody amazing! Brilliant review Mel :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, too! (I just posted my review haha). I loved Tristan & Cécile romance, and the fact that it actually built up to something of epic proportion ;) Lovely review!

    Cyn @ Bookmunchies

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep reading reviews of this and they're making me want to drop everything and read this book right now! I can't do that, but I will be reading this one very soon. I just love the idea behind this, and Cecile and Tristan sound so wonderful. :D Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, Mel! It was a fabulous book, I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of this book before or read a book about trolls but you got me really excited for this one!! But if the prince is a troll, does that mean he looks completely inhuman? o_o

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! I can't wait to read this one. :) I didn't realize it was a trilogy, although I shouldn't be surprised by that anymore. I'm glad to hear that the world-building is done well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adored Tristan and Cécile's conversations as well! Tristan always had me laughing and the slipper quote just made me laugh again. I love Tristan. He's so snarky, hilarious and adorable <3
    The "I love you's" didn't bother me too much either. It felt like Tristan and Cécile had so much time to get to know each other that they just felt natural.
    The ending definitely was cruel! I really want the second book too! I need more Tristan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I forgot to say Fantastic review Mel! :D

      Delete
  21. I admit I read this synopsis and was turned-off by the trolls for some reason. Or at least, I wasn't drawn in. But now I think I have to read this book! Fantasy, magic, superb writing, and an awesome MC! YES please! Tristan and Cecile sound adorable too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that my review changed your mind :D

      Delete
  22. I pre-ordered this not long ago and can't wait for it to arrive! I've heard so many great things about it. The only thing I'm worried about is the length, but I think it'll be fine if the characters are great =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP RAVING ABOUT THIS BOOK BECAUSE I JUST CLEARED OUT MY TBR AND IT IS STILL AT 600+ BOOKS o.o.

    Ahem.

    "I was captured by the fantastic story and characters. The story takes some time to really kick in, so some might call it slow paced, but I think it was just right." -- Honestly, those are often my favorites. Stories that start off fast-paced tend to lose their momentum too quickly...

    "This is my first troll book and Danielle assured that it won’t be my last one - and if you like magic, a sweet romance and a rebellion, I think you'll say the same." -- I've never read a troll book... damn but I don't need more reasons to read this :OOO.

    "The writing-style was superb. I was transported to the world of Trollus and I walked side-by-side with Cécile. The setting was magical and I was sucked into the story, which has a very interesting and complex plot without being overwhelming. I liked the story behind the curse and the witch who cast it on Trollus." -- THIS SOUNDS LIKE EVERYTHING ANYONE COULD EVER WANT IN A BOOK AND MEL WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO MEEE (yes this is all about me clearly :P).

    "I’m also happy to announce that these things play the main role in the story, because the romance is there to add something extra to the story: sweetness! Cécile and Tristan can’t stand each other. She is forced to leave her whole world behind to marry an arrogant troll who seems to be the same as every other troll: he despises humans. I loved their amusing conversations and it’s clear from the beginning that there is chemistry between them. It takes some time for both of them to figure that out. They are cute together and the ‘I love you’s’ didn’t bother me so much – I felt the timing was good enough to handle that. They spend enough time to get to know each other and this comes from someone who prefers to have as-less-romance-as-possible." -- Hate turned love romances are the best because they can be so achingly sweet. Because they force the two to actually get to know each other as you've said. Heheheh I keep reading reviews where you mention wanting as little romance as possible but you love Throne of Glass among others and how does this fit with you and Disney :P???? (I am prejudiced against Disney *gasp*).

    "Cécile is a wonderful character. She is believable, because she has different aspects. She is strong and intelligent, but she is also sad and angry. There are moments where she loses some of her control and says hurtful things that she regrets later." -- Sounds like Nyx from Cruel Beauty :O.

    "Then there is Tristan, the troll who is doomed to be heir. I immediately liked him and his sarcastic humor. I appreciate what he does to protect his people and he would be a good leader. He is so protective over Cécile, it's adorable (but not in the way most guys are. He is aware that Cécile is able to stand up for herself too)" -- And Ignifex?

    :OOOO AHHHHHHHghhhhhhhhhhhrhhh

    To read or not to read? THERE ARE TOO MANY BOOKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Haha. I'm not going to stop, because this book is awesome! To read or not to read? That is a silly question :p haha. READ :D!

      -True! I really like slow paced, but some people don't so I had to include that.
      -I'm completely hooked to trolls now. She changed the image of them in such a strong way.
      -I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO READ IT!
      -Well, I guess I just hate it when the romance takes over the complete story in a book. I've had so many times where the story was strong and then BAM ROMANCE, completely destroyed the plot and what was going on. So when it's good incorporated and add something to the story, I do like it. I might make a post about this, haha! 'Why Mel doesn't like romance most of the times, but she does love Disney and fairy tales, because she expects the romance there + it doesn't ruin the story, because it IS about romance.' :D

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0