Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:25

Top 10 Tuesday 31. Spring list.


Spring 2014 reading list.

I'm going to list down 10 books I own that I hope to read this spring. I will look back at the end of spring to see how many books I’ve actually read.. It's going to be fun, because I'm not good with these lists.

1790641. Shannon Hale - The goose girl. I received a box set for this series for Christmas and I can’t wait to finally see what this is all about.

Becoming a goose girl for the king, Ani eventually uses her own special, nearly magical powers to find her way to her true destiny.

135388162. Jay Kristoff – Stormdancer. This book comes with high expectations and it’s going to be interesting to see if it lives up to them.

Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a talent that if discovered, would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company.

120842783. Miriam Forster – City of a thousand dolls. I must admit that I bought this book for the cover and the fact it’s High fantasy.

Before she becomes the next victim, Nisha decides to uncover the secrets that surround the girls’ deaths. But by getting involved, Nisha jeopardizes not only her own future in the City of a Thousand Dolls—but her own life.

77288894. Libba Bray – The diviners. This book sounds so ridiculous good!

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

133891825. Laini Taylor – Days of blood and starlight. I really liked Daughter of smoke and bone and I can’t wait to see how the story continues.

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a new way of living – one without massacres and torn throats and bonfires of the fallen, without revenants or bastard armies or children ripped from their mothers’ arms to take their turn in the killing and dying.

108903196. Sarra Manning – Adorkable. This is a ‘Debby’ book. Contemporary isn’t normally my thing, but it sounds like a cute book, excellent for spring weather!

They have nothing in common but a pair of cheating exes. So why can't they stop snogging?

116074467. Chris Colfer – The wishing spell. A middle grade fairy tale, yes please!

"The Land of Stories" tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

159458978. Phoebe North – Starglass. I haven’t heard much of this book, but the ratings on GR are promising.

Terra has never known anything but life aboard the Asherah, a city-within-a-spaceship that left Earth five hundred years ago in search of refuge. At sixteen, working a job that doesn't interest her, and living with a grieving father who only notices her when he's yelling, Terra is sure that there has to be more to life than what she's got.

129242889. Elizabeth Norris – Unravelling. I like the sound of the concept.

Leaving the beach, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit head on by a pickup truck.
And killed. Then Ben Michaels, resident stoner, is leaning over her. And even though it isn’t possible, she knows Ben somehow brought her back to life…



634249110. Cinda Williams Chima – The demon king. High fantasy!

One day Han Alister catches three young wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet away from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won’t use it against him. The amulet once belonged to the Demon King, who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece so powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.


Let me know what you think guys. Any of these books you highly recommend?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

52 comments:

  1. The Diviners! I have been wanting to read a Libba Bray novel for quite some time, and I actually own the first part in the Gemma Doyle series twice in two languages and I really think that is a sign that I need to read it. I adore the Diviners' cover a lot though! It's pretty, especially the hardcover one. I haven't read any of the other books mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great stuff here! Stormdancer is on my TBR list for sometime as well and I'm curious about it. Adorkable sounds well, adorable! I read The Demon King several years ago and enjoyed it, but never finished the series, so that's on my long-term to read list as well. High fantasy yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to check out Stormdancer at some point and also the Diviners. I'm think about getting the audio book of the Diviners from my library :) Great list!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I can't believe you've never read The Goose Girl! It was one of my favorite series growing up and I recently reread the whole thing and rediscovered my love for it. It's amazing, I'm sure you'll love it Mel! :)
    xx
    Stephanie | Love, August

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It sounds right up my alley!

      Delete
  5. YES YES for the Demon King series! The second book in that series was my favorite =) There is a little bit of a love triangle in the first book/part of second book but it wasn't ever something I really cared/worried about. For me, it was one of those series that just get better with each book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear Stephanie! I will keep that in mind :)

      Delete
  6. Great idea, to have a plan to read your purchased books. I wish I could do that, but I'm so behind on my review books. Meanwhile, I keep buying and buying.

    The only one on your list that I've read is Unraveling, and it was a lot of fun. I have the sequel, Unbreakable, but I haven't read it yet.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the buying and buying part is something we all understand :p

      Delete
  7. Great list! I cannot wait to start Bray and Taylor myself, and I look forward to Stormdancer as well, looks awesome. Same for City of Thousand Dolls, you'll have great spring readings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT. I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone and I LOVED LOVED LOVED Days of Blood and Starlight! It's so beautiful :D I hope you'll love it!

    I'm also very curious what you'll think of Stormdancer :) I remember giving it a pretty high rating at the time, but when I think back at it I feel pretty meh. I've also never had the desire to pick up the sequel, but I hope you'll absolutely love it :)

    (Oh and yes, you DO need to get started on Pivot Point!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know, I hope to change it soon. I might get Pivot Point next month!

      Delete
  9. [ Smiles ] Okay, those ten selections are worth reading.

    Thanks again, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Days of Blood and Starlight - it was amazing! I hope you like it just as much as you liked the first one. And The Diviners sounds really good, so I hope you enjoy it.

    Elen @ A World of Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh nice list! All of these are new to me! Hope you get to them all and enjoy them this spring!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love The wishing spell by Chris Colfer. Great fairytale book. Have not read the second book in that series, but looking forward to doing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY :D Awesome list! STORMDANCER. <3 I really loved that book. So damn heartbreaking. Especially Kinslayer. But they are both so perfect. Sigh. Hope you enjoy all of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh awesome list right here! :D Can't wait to see what you think about DoBaS!! I love that series so so so SO much. It's even better than the first book. And YAY for Stormdancer! I still need to get around to reading that but I've heard such incredible things. Adorkable is supposed to be super adorbs and hilarious as well - hoping you like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Goose Girl. I'm interested in Shannon Hale as an author, but I have yet to read any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE The Diviners! Such a great book! The Demon King and Days of Blood and Starlight are good too.
    I really want to read City of a thousand dolls. That series has really pretty covers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so so glad to see Days, of Blood and Starlight, The Diviners and Stormdancer on your Spring tbr list Melanie, these were three books that I enjoyed so much, so I really hope that you end up liking these and the rest of the books on your list too! Brilliant list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Jasprit! They all sounds promising :)

      Delete
  18. I have not read any of those books! Though I've heard great things about The Diviners (waiting to see if a love triangle develops in the series before I start it). I'm planning on binging Days of Blood and Starlight - I read Night of Cake and Puppets and Laini Taylor's writing is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Stormdancer, but it was a little slow to get started. Took me the first 100 pages or so to truly become invested in the story.

    I said this to you in my reply to your comment on my TTT, but Days of Blood & Starlight KILLED me! So many feels and they all made my heart hurt - but in the best way, if that makes any sense? Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard from more people that the beginning is a little tough :)

      Delete
  20. Great list! I loved Days of Blood and Starlight!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I've read Goose Girl... but not sure. :o Might just be the author's familiarness. o_o

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would highly recommend for you to read The Goose Girl!! ^^ That was my gateway novel into YA, and I still reread it from time to time because it has one of the most lovely world-building, and the characters go through so much growth! :) I can't say much about the others, because I've not read them either, heehee :P But they look good too! :D
    Happy reading, Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember that you talked about The goose girl in your blog, right? I'm very excited :D

      Delete
  23. I want to read The Wishing Spell as well! If not read it, I want to own those beautiful hardcovers for future children. They are STUNNING and I love Chris Colfer :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heh, it's funny because I did the same thing with my summer tbr last year and when I looked back, I found that I had only read 2 out of the 10 X( But I hope you end up doing much better with your tbr than I did! I just finished a reread of Days of Blood and Starlight and it was simply divine! Now I'm ready for Dreams of Gods and Monsters. Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably end up with such a result, but we'll see :D

      Delete
  25. Adorkable sounds so cute! I agree with you about it sounding like the perfect spring read ;) Unraveling is amazing and City of A Thousand Dolls sounds great, although I don't usually read too much fantasy. I'm definitely planning to give that one a try eventually, though, Amazing list, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have The Diviners, City of a Thousand Dolls and Days of Blood and Starlight on my bookshelf to be read soon as well! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Diviners is a book I heard a lot of good things about a while ago now, really wanted to read, and them promptly forgot about. Thank you for bringing it back to my attention! I've wrote it on my wishlist this time, no chance of forgetting that way eh.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  28. There are SO many good titles on this list! I absolutely can't wait for your thoughts on The Diviners. I really enjoyed that one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay, The Diviners!! That's such a good book. Long, but good. I've also had my eye on Stormdancer for a while -- that cover is just stunning. Happy spring reading!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is on my list...and I noticed you had an Elusion review up which I'm going to read any day now. I totally just bought Goose Girl and I LOVED Stormdancer - I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been meaning to read Stormdancer for AGES. It does sound really good, but I keep pushing it back for some reason. UNRAVELLINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Hurry up and read it. Hurry. Up. Judith and I are doing a readalong for the Seven Realms series, you should join us! I have no idea when it's happening though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like that! I don't have the other three books yet, but I might get them from the library in that case :)

      Delete
  32. Unravelling! <33333 I absolutely loved that one! The second book is even better.
    Adorkable is such an amazing contemporary! It's hilarious! Oooh! I'll definitely be intrigued to see what you think of The Diviners & City of a Thousand Dolls!
    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to love Unravelling, I'm so curious :D

      Delete
  33. I haven't heard of some of the books you listed, but now I want to look into a few of them. Especially Unraveling.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I need to read The Diviners too, especially with how everyone is SO excited for Lair of Dreams.
    You will also LOVE Days of Blood and Starlight Mel; it is better than Daughter of Smoke & Bone and just constantly tugs at your heartstrings.
    AHHHH, I hope you'll LOVE Unraveling Mel! -crosses fingers- It is one of my most favorite books ever.
    I hope you'll enjoy all the books on your list! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I liked Daughter of smoke and bone but not as much as everyone else. I have high hopes for Days of blood & starlight :D

      Delete
  35. So I bought The Goose Girl on Kindle but had my mother read it first - she really liked it! And THE DIVINERS and DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT and STORMDANCER. LOVE all of these. Just be prepared for the first 70 pages of Stormdancer to be a little slow and difficult. But everything after that makes up for it. And I just recently finished The Demon King (I've been meaning to read it for a while too). It's on the slower side but very well crafted! I am going to star the sequel soon.

    And I want to read Adorkable! Let me know when you start this, I can try to read it at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goose girl does sound like a real Mel book :D

      Delete
  36. I adored both Stormdancer AND The Diviners so I really hope you do too! They were and still are major favorites for me, though I didn't love Kinslayer as much as Stormdancer. The books are just so damn depressing and you really have to be in the right frame of mind to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I really enjoyed The Wishing Spell, that was very fun, though The Goose Girl and Stormdancer weren't my thing, unfortunately. I'm hoping you'll review City of a Thousand Dolls if you read it! A suggestion from me, bookwise, is Tinder by Sally Gardner- it's already on your tbr on goodreads, but I think you might really like it and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You must read Days of Blood and Starlight ASAP! It is mind -blowing!! I've always been wanting to read the Goose Girl but could not find a copy anywhere! Enjoy reading these amazing books :)

    - Hershey @ MissReadiculous

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0