Review 253. Kimberly Derting – The taking.

17838475Title: The taking
Author: Kimberly Derting.
Pages: 368
Expected publication date: April 29th 2014 by HarperTeen.
Sort: The taking #1.
Source: Edelweiss & Publisher.
A flash of white light.. and then.. nothing. When sixteen-year-old Kyra Agnew wakes up behind a Dumpster at the Gas ’n’ Sip, she has no memory of how she got there. With a terrible headache and a major case of déjà vu, she heads home only to discover that five years have passed . . . yet she hasn’t aged a day. Everything else about Kyra’s old life is different. Her parents are divorced, her boyfriend, Austin, is in college and dating her best friend, and her dad has changed from an uptight neat-freak to a drunken conspiracy theorist who blames her five-year disappearance on little green men. Confused and lost, Kyra isn’t sure how to move forward unless she uncovers the truth. With Austin gone, she turns to Tyler, Austin’s annoying kid brother, who is now seventeen and who she has a sudden undeniable attraction to. As Tyler and Kyra retrace her steps from the fateful night of her disappearance, they discover strange phenomena that no one can explain, and they begin to wonder if Kyra’s father is not as crazy as he seems. There are others like her who have been taken… and returned. Kyra races to find an explanation and reclaim the life she once had, but what if the life she wants back is not her own?
Rating:

I’m not a huge fan of Aliens, but I always like to try new things and this sounded interesting. I really want to read the sequel to this book, because Derting managed to end it exactly how I like it: most of the story from this book is wrapped up and there is a big revealing that makes me anxious for more. That being said, this book wasn’t without flaws.

Kyra disappeared five years ago after a fight with her father, but when she returns she believes she was gone for one day. She woke up behind a store and from that moment, her whole life is different. She has no memory of what happened those five years, but things have changed a lot. Her parents broke up, her mother is newly married and has a son, her father has gone mad with Alien - and abduction theories. Her boyfriend moved on with her best friend and they are living the life she imagined. In the mean time, Tyler has grown up to be a man instead of her (ex) boyfriend’s little brother.


I liked how realistic Kyra’s reactions felt. I was sad for her and the old life she lost. She has a huge gap in her memory and the life she knew is gone. I felt her frustrations and I understood how hard it was to adapt to these new situations. Stories about memory loss are always fascinating to me and scary at the same time. I would go crazy in Kyra’s situation, so I admired her strength. She was a little naive sometimes and she easily trusts people, but I think those flaws made her a believable character. The only thing I didn’t like about her personality was how self-centred she seemed and how she treats her family. Yes, her mother felt cold and distanced, but it must be hard to get your daughter back after moving on. Kyra is giving her a hard time, by sneaking out and disappearing when she feels like it. Her father is loving, but his theories and divorce haven’t been good on him. She could have showed more patience for him.

The romance was one of harder things to connect with. I adored Tyler, but just thinking about their past made me a little uncomfortable. It was sweet to see how he tries to support Kyra and he was a true friend, but I wasn’t sure how I felt about him as love-interest. It also went far too fast. Just because they knew each other, doesn’t mean that such feelings develop so quickly. She often refers to him as ‘the little brother’ in her mind.

It was good how Derting first set the basics of this story (Kyra’s return, dealing with the situation and starting to get feelings for Tyler) before the true plot kicks in, although it made the story sometimes a little slow. It appears that Kyra’s father isn’t as crazy as everyone is saying. There is a whole organization looking for Kyra and there are more people like her, who call themselves the ‘Returned.’ Simon is one of them and he is trying to protect her. I’m very curious about this organization and why people are abducted – and why some return. This story was definitely a set-up for more and because of that ending, I can’t wait to read all about it in the sequel.


29 comments

  1. Nice review! I can't wait to read this one myself! Love Derting's Body Finder series so eager to read this one! I am hearing about how weird this romance is, and I'm already weirded out by it from the reviews I read. But still, I sooo cannot wait to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance could have been better.. perhaps if she got her old boyfriend back, but it was a little strange.

      Delete
  2. I was so sad that I could not connect to this book so ended up DNFing. I'm glad to hear you were able to get past the romance and enjoy the book overall. I hope the sequel is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First and foremost, I love you new signature. That is such a cute Pooh bear. :)

    I've never read a "surprise aliens" book before, and I don't know if this really fits in that category but it kind of sounds like it. Cool concept, I can't imagine how messed up that would be to wake up with no memory of the last five years. Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's actually an oldie I'm using again :D

      Delete
  4. I've read far too many "lost memory" books to know that I've not seen one that's a cut above the other books. I do know that this one have tried its best to be different, however. It's too bad it wasn't as great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review, Mel! I'm interested in checking this book out one day. It's not on my "need-to-read-ASAP" list however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... I think I'll have to squeeze this one into my schedule. Thanks so much for sharing the plot a bit more in depth - I now feel really eager to find out what might have happened to Kyra. Tyler sounds supportive but I am not sure if I'd enjoy the romance...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I think I may be one of the few out there that really liked this book. But I stand by it! :D I'm glad you still mostly liked it. I was pretty forgiving of Kyra I think, she was angsty but I think if I saw a teenager thrown into that situation without seeing some anger and frustration, that wouldn't be believable to me. I definitely agree that the romance was awkward! But I thought it was sweet how hard he tried to win her over. It was fast for his feelings to resurface, but I'm a hopeless romantic and totally believed he could hold onto that boyish crush, especially with her just disappearing. Looking forward to more answers in book 2!

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel like I'm in the middle :p Tyler was definitely very sweet, but I hope I will warm up for the romance in the sequel.

      Delete
  8. I do think the romance was a bit insta-ish, but I did like Tyler as a character. And the pacing was really slow in the beginning, but overall I really enjoy the story. Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG The Winnie the Pooh is sooo cute in your signature! I've read a few reviews on this one and I don't think I'll rush to read it, the romance sounds like an insta-love and the mc a bit hard to connect to. Lovely review though!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! This looks like an interesting book so I'm definitely going to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The romance was such a terrible case of instalove. I just feel like they really only knew each other for a very short time before Tyler started doing all these big Romantic gestures and it was like, really bro?
    I agree about the ending! There were just so many unanswered questions, I feel like I'm obligated to read the sequel now haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is (I think) one of the first reviews I've read from someone who actually liked the heroine and wasn't absolutely disgusted by the romance, haha! It's nice to read a different perspective. And Pooh!--he's my favorite Disney character. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pooh is adorable <3 and this book has been getting so many mixed reviews!

      Delete
  13. Great review sweetie. <3 I'm glad you managed to somewhat enjoy this book :D And that you are excited for the sequel. I'm still upset that I had to DNF it :p Wish I could have loved it. Sigh. There was just too many issues for me :p But I do understand why you liked it :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to see how different people think about books :D!

      Delete
  14. I really liked this book..like a lot. I absolutely adore Tyler. He was my favorite character. I'm actually reading the sequel because of him (I need to know! haha). <3 Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds really intriguing. I'm glad you enjoyed it, although Kyra sounds like she might annoy me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice review! I have been curious about this one so it's nice to read a bit more about it from you. It's encouraging that it sounds good overall and that you want to read the sequel, even if there are a few faults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something there are books you completely love, sometimes there are books that are just enjoyable :) this is one of them.

      Delete
  17. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this book overall Melanie, I haven't been seeing the best reviews for this book, but the fact that you are interested in reading the sequel does have me excited about giving this book a go. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending provided a lot of information to make me curious :D

      Delete
  18. I am not a huge fan of Aliens but I won't write off Alien books completely either. I am not sure about this one though, since I tend to only give them a shot if they get raving reviews (like The 5th Wave for example). I think I'll wait to see how the sequel turns out. Especially since I'm not big on memory lapse plots either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.