Wednesday, April 30, 2014 00:20

Monthly recap | April '14. Birthday!

I always enjoy watching recaps from other bloggers, so that’s why I’ll be posting my own recaps. This wrap up is also my new ‘Showcase Sunday’ since I don’t have the time to do weekly hauls. Instead, I hope to capture it in vlogs every now and then.
OUAT



April tends to be one of the best months every year. I celebrated my birthday! My sister took me out for a delicious diner (Indonesian food <3) and I spend all evening with my boyfriend, sister and parents. I will be celebrating it with my family May 3rd. I spend Easter with my boyfriend's family and my own. I went shopping with my sister and one of the best things I got was a legging with Marvel print. When we had our ‘Koningsdag’ me and my boyfriend went to three different markets and I found one of the best bargains ever: a sealed GOT season 3 box for 5 euro! I had another bookclub meeting where we ate delicious pannenkoeken, talked about Eon (for the first time we talked longer than 5 minutes about the book, haha) and other (book related) things. Not so fun was my dentist who told me I had to make an appointment with the surgeon to get my wisdom tooth revoved.. May 16th. And I went for the weekend to my boyfriend's father & girlfriend with his brother. It wasn't so bad, seeing I don't have the best relationship with my parents in law.

School wise: I went on my birthday together with my partner in crime to the internship to talk with our supervisor. It’s a nice woman, so I have a good feeling about it. I also nailed my Infection disease test! It was very important. We got 75 questions about all the different topics (and you could only make 19 mistakes for a 5,5) and failing this one would mean a 6-months delay on my study. But I got it! I also finished writing my review and I’m currently waiting to hear if I passed it. I have a good feeling about it.

Read
41. Jane Austen - Emma. 3/5.
42. Kimberly Derting - The taking. 3.5/5
43. Alyssa B. Sheinmel - Second star. 2/5.
44. George R.R Martin - A clash of kings. 5/5.
45. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin's blade. 5+/5.
46. Veronica Roth - Allegiant. 3.5/5.
47. Jennifer Donnelly - Deep blue. 2/5.
48. Cassandra Rose Clarke - The wizard's promise. 3/5.
49. Anne Blankman - Prisoner of night and fog. 5/5.
50. Sarah Raughley - Feather bound. 3/5.
51. Alison Goodman - Eon. 5/5.
52. Alethea Kontis – Hero. 3/5.

Watched
Highlights:
-Homefront, was a typical Jason Statham movie.
-Finished The office season 6 + 7. Still hilarious, although I miss Michael in season 7.
-47 Ronin, disappointing.
-Captain America: The winter soldier in 3rd. AWESOME.
-Finished re-watching Game of Thrones season 1, 2 + 3. Completely obsessed this month.
-Up to date with Once Upon a time.
-Django Unchained for the second time. Still good.
-Peter Pan with the DisneyJourney group.
-Colombiana, okay movie.

Statistics

TBR pile: 14 / 21. (67%)
Review pile: 24 / 21. (114%) COMPLETED.
Dystopian: 8/19. (42%)
Series: 4 / 12. (33%)
Fairy tale: 14 / 16. (88%)
Bingo: 22 / 25 squares. (88%)

Haul
So far, I got from my boyfriend for my birthday:

Maggie Stiefvater - Dream Thieves. Reading it at the moment, it’s good!
Susan Ee - Angelfall. Can’t wait! I’ve heard so many good things about this book.
Rae Carson - Crown of Embers. I love this series. I still need to last one though.
115002171734906317370618

And I requested two books from Netgalley:
cover44724-mediumcover44918-medium

How was your April? Did you read any good books/saw some good movies or TV shows? Let me know!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

48 comments:

  1. Wow, eventful April!! I thought the Winter Soldier was awesome too, and attribute that to Sebastian Stan, who is also awesome in Once Upon a Time (which I need to finish still!). Congrats on passing your test, it sounds waaay above my head, haha. I have a degree in English, easy-peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could only picture him as the mad hatter, was so fun to see him play another role!

      Delete
  2. Some great reads for the month! Happy birthday and happy May reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your making a good dent in your tbr list. I'm glad to see you enjoyed Eon, it's one of my favourites and I'm always recommending it to people. Can't wait until you read Eona, I loved that one even more :)

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm trying to read many of my own books away :)

      Delete
  4. Wow it sounds like you had a great April! April was a bit rushed for me with the Winter semester ending and final projects being due. I get a week break now though before my internship starts. Totally agree that the third captain america movie was AWESOME. My sister and I are super excited for The Amazing Spider Man 2 movie that is coming out this week =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a Spiderman movie in my life, should I feel ashamed?

      Delete
    2. YES. Lol it was a good movie though. If you like the super hero movies like Captain America, I think you would like a spider man movie. He has pretty cool super powers =)

      Delete
  5. I think this is a really cool thing! Sounds like you've had a great April book wise and life wise :) I've been dying to read Prisoner of Night and Fog also. I have to get on that! I love Holocaust Lit. Thanks for sharing! I might try some recap stuff when I've had more things going on in my life than trying to survive the rest of my senior year :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic, I hope you get to read it soon! :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like April was pretty eventful for you! Hope May brings you the same great experiences! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heeeeey. You celebrate your birthday on May 3rd? Hah. That is my birthday :D lol. <3 I hope you will have an amazing day :) Birthdays are a lot of fun. <3 Ohhh. Eon! So glad you loved it. <3 Been ages since I read it, but I loved it as well :) So good. Amazing post sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's my sister's birthday too! Since we don't invite much family, it's easier to celebrate it together :)

      Delete
  8. April looks like a good month for you! I hope the upcoming months are even better! You read quite a bunch of books. I should really get started on the books on my shelves, instead of constantly requesting new books. Please remind me not to do that so often anymore! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really into GOT at the mo, too. :D Congrats on acing the test! I see you enjoyed Eon! That makes me happy. Love that duology. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, I hope you had a wonderful birthday this month, Mel! That is so lovely of your boyfriend to get you books that you wanted to read. Sounds like you had a few hits this month with the books, The Assassin's Blade is amazing <3

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday! Angelfall is one of my all time favorite books-I hope you love it as much as I do :) And too funny-we both have read 52 books so far this year :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Captain America: Winter Solider was fantastic! Nice deal on GOT :) I started and finished True Detective on HBO... It was very well done but I think too dark for my liking. Hope you had a great birthday :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True detective.. that is the one with Matthew Mcsomething right?

      Delete
  13. A birthday, time spent with family, aced your test, and read a whopping 12 books - sounds like a GREAT month to me!! I hope May treats you well, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday, and congrats on passing your test!

    I cannot get enough of Game of Thrones. I was so thrilled when the new season started up, and now, Sunday night is the highlight of my week.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sound like you had a fantastic birthday month filled with family, loved ones, rocking your test score, enjoying yummy food and lots of bookish fun!! I watched Django Unchained for the first time in April and I agree it was awesome! You read some excellent books and your haul there is pretty spectacular. I still need to read my copy of Angelfall but I've heard nothing but amazing things! I'm planning on starting the Raven Cycle asap and the Fire & Thorn books are on my wishlist! Here's to a lovely April and an even better May xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe Leonardo didn't get an Oscar for his role in that movie.

      Delete
  16. Wow! Looks like you've had a great month! :D I read The Dream Thieves and Angelfall and absolutely loved them both, so I'm definitely looking forward to your thoughts on those! Crown of Embers I haven't read yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I can't wait to see what you think of it! Thanks for sharing and happy May! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooo ray for getting awesome test scores! You kick that school's butt girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! A very eventful month! I hope you had a great birthday :)
    Congratulations on passing your test too! And I'm sure you'll pass your review :)
    You read quite a few books this month. I still haven't picked up The Assassin's Blade but I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to move Prisoner of Night and Fog up my TBR list since you loved it!
    I really want to re-watch GoT too, but I'm going to do thst after ifinally start reading the books.
    Angelfall is one of my favourite books! I hope you enjoy it :)
    Wow, you're doing so well with your challenges! I hope May is another great month for you.
    Happy reading, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful birthday, thanks. I hope you had a great day too!

      Delete
  19. Wow, you had an impressive month! About to scour your blog for book reviews - specifically for Allegiant, Clash of Kings and Prisoner of Night and Fog! I have a question for you, as an avid GoT fan - so I've been thinking about reading the books. But I forget characters in the TV show all the time, and I'm scared that it'll be convoluted and confusing and I'll lose track of what's happening. I'm also scared that all the death will make the books depressing. What do you think, as someone who's read the books?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier - because it led me to yours! (Oh, and happy belated birthday and congrats on your test!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Every chapter is divided between some main character. Like, in the first book you will read things from Sansa, Tyrion & Cat. I don't have problems with all the names and I think he handles it all rather nicely. Especially now I'm watching the show while I read the books: I can see their faces when I read their names.
      -Haha, there are many deaths yes, but I don't find the story very depressing :) There is something about his writing style that makes it all.. bearable.

      Delete
    2. That is definitely helpful! They're selling off the 5-book box set for like 30 bucks at my local bookstore, and I've been going back and forth on whether to buy it! I think you just helped me decide! :)

      I watch the show too, and it definitely keeps things going. I like all the multiple storylines. I could not believe (how to say this without spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet?) the thing that happened at the wedding with the pie. Ahem. You know what I mean. I wanted them to do that later in the season, draw it out a bit, make it even more satisfying, you know?

      Delete
  20. You had an exciting April! Hopefully you had a great birthday to go along with it! I'm jealous of those leggings with Marvel Print- I want some because they sound so cool!! X
    Congrats on the test. It sounds daunting so I'm happy for you that you did well. :D
    You're Goodreads challenge is going really well! I had to lower mine A LOT because I was too many books behind.. I've been really tired from school so I haven't had much time to read..
    I really hope you enjoy reading the books you got and that you have an amazing May! *hugs*

    Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your Infection Disease Test!!! I think getting good grades is one of the best feelings hah (nerd alert). And not a bad book month at all (quality-wise, quantity is always impressive).You are also kicking ass on your challenges. Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's a great feeling when your hard work pays off :D

      Delete
  22. I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday! I've never had Indonesian food and now I'm curious ha ha. Yay for acing the test!

    And oh Emma, I'm still in the middle of it. I need to finish it.

    I love Django Unchained! Did you know when DiCaprio breaks that wineglass it's his actual blood? He's so committed and deserves all the awards. I plan to watch Captain America this month and hopefully, I can. And oh, Thor.

    You're gonna love Angelfall, I think. It's gruesome and mysterious. I loved it. I'll be finishing Divergent trilogy this month and I'm torn about how much. I want it to be over though. I hope I'm not all that disappointed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious, but it was VERY spicy this time, haha.

      I know. It made me admire him even more in this role! I think I'm going to love it too :D

      Delete
  23. Happy belated birthday, Mel! <3 Hope you had a wonderful day ^_^ I didn't know you were a GOT fan! I haven't watched it to be honest -hide!- but congrats on snagging that box set haha! Those gifted books look lovely as well <3 So glad to hear that you're enjoying Dream Thieves! (I must get around to it soon too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viv, I had <3 And yes, a huge GOT fan!

      Delete
  24. I still haven't seen the new Captain America movie >.< But I hate going to the movies because I don't have any near me that shows them in English, only German and that mostly sucks imo.

    I really need to get and read Eon + Eona. I LOVE dragons but somehow I haven't read a lot of books about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Dragons, this is THE book you should read :D

      Delete
  25. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday :D Marvel leggings would be amazing!

    Congrats on the test :D

    I loved The Office US. I actually preferred it to the UK version... Jim and Pam are ADORABLE. I haven't watched past season 7 since that's all there is on Netflix, I'm just waiting for the last two to appear... I started a new series on Netflix called Continuum. It's a Canadian series I think, all about time travel and it has amazing technology that I want all to myself! :o

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0