Review 248. Karen Foxlee – Ophelia and the Marvelous boy.

17910570Title: Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy.
Author: Karen Foxlee.
Pages: 240.
Published: January 28th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Netgalley & Publisher.
Link: Goodreads.
Unlikely heroine Ophelia Jane Worthington-Whittard doesn't believe in anything that can't be proven by science. She and her sister Alice are still grieving for their dead mother when their father takes a job in a strange museum in a city where it always snows. On her very first day in the museum Ophelia discovers a boy locked away in a long forgotten room. He is a prisoner of Her Majesty the Snow Queen. And he has been waiting for Ophelia's help. As Ophelia embarks on an incredible journey to rescue the boy everything that she believes will be tested. Along the way she learns more and more about the boy's own remarkable journey to reach her and save the world. A story within a story, this a modern day fairytale is about the power of friendship, courage and love, and never ever giving up.
Rating:

What a charming, cute story! This is definitely a book I see myself reading for my future child(ren). It’s adventurous, magical and exciting. I’ve settled with a 3.5 rating, but I would have adored this book when I was younger!

This is the story of Ophelia, a girl who believes things if they are scientifically proven. So when her father takes a new job at a museum, she never expects something magical to happen. Until she stumbles on the Marvelous boy, who is locked away in one of the many rooms. He tells her his story, about how wizards took his name and prepared him to defeat the Snow Queen. How Ophelia must help him to break free before it is too late, because the Snow Queen is planning to take over.

I love how clever and stubborn Ophelia is. At first, she is not willing to believe the boy. How are all these things possible? There is no such thing as magic, right? Her reactions felt very realistic and it was fun to see her change. She is letting go of her analytic thinking and she is letting magic into her life. The voice of her recent passed away mother guides Ophelia through her journey in the museum. She must finds several keys to release the boy and this brings her into some interesting situations. I liked how Karen incorporated the story of the Marvelous Boy. Every time Ophelia visits him, he tells her another part of his life. Their friendship is heart-warming.

It’s very obvious who the Snow Queen is, but the predictability added to the charm. There wasn’t a moment I was hoping on a twist, because that’s not what this story needs. It’s just a tale of two children who are both lonely in their own way. It’s a story about friendship and finding courage, sprinkled with some magic. This book contains messages I’d like to give to my child(ren) and I definitely recommend this to fathers/mothers to read as bedtime story. It’s also enjoyable enough for us grown-ups!

24 comments

  1. I keep seeing this at the shop! I always pick it up, but so far it hasn't made it to the register yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay. <3 Amazing review Mel. I must admit to wanting to read this book when I saw that gorgeous cover, but then I did nothing more about it.. hmm. I must fix that. I'm glad you enjoyed it. But sorry you didn't fully love it. Still. It's good you liked it :D Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen so many great reviews about this particular book, all of them of the positive kind, so I may just be picking this one up for myself some time soon. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds perfectly sweet and wonderful! I'll definitely have to pick this one up soon. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds wonderful and charming and just plain cute! I like the sound of the MC Ophelia and her quirks make her different from the usual...and the relationship between her and the Marvelous Boy sounds adorable! I think we all need stories like these from time to time, something that just makes you feel good for reading it - even if it doesn't always surprise you! Wonderful review Mel ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww this sounds lovely. I will probably try to get my BF to read it to me as a bedtime story :P We enjoying reading each other classic tales and light-hearted MG novels every now and then. This might sound a little weird but we love it, so whatever! This would totally make a wonderful addition to our nightstand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heehee this sounds so cute! I love the sound of this one, and I think when my little brother grows a little older, this will be one of the stories I'll read to him :) I love the sound of a charming sweet story, and this sounds exactly like it! :D
    Fantastic review, Mel!! :3 <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book is perfect for him :) with adventures and some monsters!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely adored this one! I thought it was so sweet and spunky and I loved how logical Ophelia was. And how family orientated it ended up being. That was sweet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the family was a nice addition :)

      Delete
  9. Aww, I've seen this book around and you completely made me fall in love with it Mel! You make me want to hug your review and the book right now. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Karen's novel, The Midnight Dress, so I'm not surprised that this was so lovely, and it's great to see an Aussie author getting published in the USA! What a gorgeous cover, too

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I might recommend this one to my niece! I don't read much middle grade myself to really know what to get her but this one sounds fun and cute and you liked it so it should be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It would be so fun to have feedback from someone younger :D

      Delete
  12. I won this one a while ago and haven't gotten to it yet but all the glowing reviews are slowly getting to me! Sounds very cute.

    Great review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought this one because of the cover. ;) But I can't wait to be able to read it soon! It sounds adorable, and definitely like the sort of MG novel I'd enjoy. I'm glad you thought it was a charming read, Mel. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I heard of this- it sounds so wonderful, and the excerpt I read was just brilliant! I'm very excited to see what I think of it, esp. after reading this. I love books in this vein and, since I have a little niece recently discovering the joys of books and the library, it may just be perfect to get ready to read to her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely review Mel, it definitely was a cute, charming little story with a magical feel to it. I loved how you mention that you'd keep it for your children, great idea!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought :D I definitely see myself reading this for them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.