Friday, April 11, 2014 12:14

Review 250. Abby Grahame - Wentworth hall.

12747188Title: Wentworth Hall.
Author: Abby Grahame.
Pages: 276.
Published: May 1st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.
Sort: Stand-alone.
The prettiest people often have the ugliest secrets.
Eighteen-year-old Maggie Darlington has turned into an entirely different person. The once spirited teen is now passive and reserved. A change Lord and Lady Darlington can't help but be grateful for.
It's 1912, and the Darlingtons of Wentworth Hall have more than just the extensive grounds to maintain. As one of Britain's most elite families, they need to keep up appearances that things are as they have always been - even as their carefully constructed fa├žade rapidly comes undone. Maggie has a secret. And she's not the only one - the handsome groom Michael, the beautiful new French nanny Therese, the Darlingtons' teenage houseguests Teddy and Jessica, and even Maggie's younger sister Lila are all hiding something. Passion, betrayal, heartache, and whispered declarations of love take place under the Darlingtons' massive roof. And one of these secrets has the power to ruin the Darlingtons forever. When scandalous satires start appearing in the newspaper with details that closely mirror the lives of the Darlingtons, everyone is looking over their shoulder, worrying their scandal will be next. Because at Wentworth Hall, nothing stays secret for long.
Rating:

Welcome to Wentworth hall, where the Darlingtons have lived for generations. There is only one problem: they are completely broke and Lord Darlington knows one solution. He must marry his oldest daughter Maggie to a rich guy. Maggie just returned from a vacation in France, where she harbored a secret which can ruin her life. She is trying to ignore her feelings for Michael, the groom, in order to trick Teddy into a marriage. Teddy and his sister Jessica are recently orphaned and they must wait for their inheritance until they turn eighteen.



I had some troubles with Maggie, especially before I knew her secret. She is snobby and unpleasant to be around with. She acts like she cares about nothing and she is so emotionless. It’s hard to connect with her and the old stories about how spirited she was meant nothing to me. I did warmed up for her in the end.

Teddy and Jessica are the perfect example of rich people. They truly believe they are better than anyone else and they are mean to everyone below their station. There is also the overlooked daughter Lila, who is lonely now Maggie changed. She is out shined and tries everything to get attention from Teddy. I felt sorry for this girl and her constant hunger for attention and love.

The return of brother Wesley brings new tension, because someone is spreading their secrets by writing a story about ‘Worthless hall’ in a newspaper. Can they discover the culprit before it is too late? I liked this bit of mystery and how the articles are included in the story. It was funny to read about them through the eyes of someone else. I had two suspicions and it was nicely done.

Overall, not a bad story. The setting was good, the characters were interesting and I like how everything wrapped up.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

19 comments:

  1. So much drama! This sounds like an interesting read though, but I won't have too high hopes for it. I am easily turned off by unsympathetic protagonists. At least it is a standalone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is just okay! Fun to read once, but nothing too special :)

      Delete
  2. The setting and subject matter remind me of Cinders & Sapphires, which I enjoyed, but this one doesn't sound as good hah. I will keep in on my radar though, in case I am looking for this type of story! They can be awfully fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that book on my wish list, is it any good?

      Delete
    2. I liked it! I gave it 4 stars at the time (and just realized never put my review on Goodreads). But I haven't read a lot of similar books to compare it to. I have the sequel Diamonds and Deceit to read soon(ish) and if that is any good that can be good motivation to start the series!

      Delete
  3. I've been curious about this one for ages! I'm not surprised by your rating, but I'm glad to see it's at least positive. :) It's always nice to have a fun read about. :) Great review Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like something I'd love to read! Great review :D

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds interesting. Might give it a try. Great review, Mel!

    - Hershey @ Miss Readiculous

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like Downton Abbey of sorts! I'm glad it ended up being positive for you, Mel. I HOPE my patience will last with reading about Maggie since I think I'll be annoyed with her and super sympathetic for Lila. Love the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Downton Abbey (yes) so I'm not sure if it's anything like that!

      Delete
  7. This doesn't sound like my kind of read, but the mystery of the book sounds pretty interesting :) Glad you liked how things wrapped up. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great book! This book didn't do so well for me because the characters were pretty flat and boring but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were a little flat, but hey, overall not bad :D

      Delete
  9. I found this book for $1 at my library store and bought it. I'm glad to see that it wasn't a terrible book. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always so drawn to this cover - I think because it reminds me of Downton Abbey or some other costume drama type show/movie. Most of what I've read about it seems to be along the lines of how you felt - that it was good but not great. Maybe I'll library this one though because I am curious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I immediately think of a mixture between The Luxe and Downton Abbey from reading your review, and whilst I doubt it's truly like either, I don't think it sounds like my kind of thing (which seems strange, because I loved Downton and enjoyed The Luxe when I first read it)- it sounds like the kind of book I would need to be in the right frame of mind to read. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this is definitely a book you have to be in the mood for! :)

      Delete
  12. This one didn't quite work for me -- I felt like the whole newspaper thing was a bit too silly but I did enjoy the Downton Abbey feel and I was interested it the family dynamic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0