Tuesday, May 13, 2014 17:18

Review 260. Amy Tintera – Rebel.

Rebel JKT HC des3.inddTitle: Rebel.
Author: Amy Tintera.
Pages: 352.
Expected publication: May 13th 2014 by HarperTeen
Sort: Reboot #2.
Source: I received an ARC from the publisher.
After coming back from death as Reboots and being trained by HARC as soldiers, Wren and Callum have finally escaped north, where they hope to find a life of freedom. But when they arrive at the Reboot Reservation, it isn't what they expected. Under the rule of a bloodthirsty leader, Micah, the Reboots are about to wage an all-out war on the humans. Although Wren's instincts are telling her to set off into the wilderness on their own and leave the battle far behind, Callum is unwilling to let his human family be murdered. When Micah commits the ultimate betrayal, the choice is made for them. But Micah has also made a fatal mistake… he's underestimated Wren and Callum.
Rating:

Fantastic ending to a good duology. The story has been told and it has a satisfying conclusion. This is the reason some trilogies should be duologies. The romance between Wren and Callum was adorable, but not overwhelming. There is a lot of action. The only thing I wanted was a little more world-building, but it wasn’t necessarily to enjoy the story.

After freeing Callum, Wren and a group of Reboots escaped to the north where they arrived at the Reboot Reservation. The feeling of being save quickly disappears when the plans of Micah, the leader, becomes clear. Wren might be the strongest Reboot, but that doesn’t stop Micah from kidnapping her with Addie. When Callum finds out that Wren is dumped into enemy territory, he will do everything to rescue the love of his life.

It was interesting to see the story with a dual POV between Wren and Callum. Wren was brainwashed by HARC and she is starting to realize that she isn’t a bad person, just because she is good in killing people. I really like how she developed in this story. Going from an emotionless killing machine, to a much warmer girl. It doesn’t mean that she lost her strength. She is still brave, strong and she doesn’t shy away from violence when needed. The way Callum looks at Wren was adorable. The two are meant for each other and their stolen moments brought a smile on my face. This is how romance should be incorporated in a Dystopian tale. Not overwhelming and it adds something to the story.

Micah, whose actions scream bad guy, has his own story to tell. In a way, I could understand his actions and why is so fiercely against humans. I don’t agree with him, but I don’t think it was strange he feels that way. It made me look different at Reboots and Humans, which raised an interesting question: would it really be that bad if every potential Reboot-Human become a Reboot? Like Micah says, they are better designed Humans.

The ending is perfect. All the answers and storylines are told, but there is still some space left for your own imagination. I wish every Dystopian author could write a satisfying conclusion like this. I look forward to see more of Amy Tintera’s work.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. I absolutely liked this one as well. It was a total surprise since I wasn't particularly fond of Wren and Callum (or the story). But this one, it was so good. This is how endings should be! Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If every author wrote their ending like this, that would be great.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad this was good, because I found the first one pretty lacklustre. I can forgive that though, since most first books in a series can be a bit bland as they 'set the scene'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one definitely picks up the story! Much more action :)

      Delete
  3. I'm conflicted on whether I want to read this one or not because the first one didn't impress me, but it sounds like this wraps up nicely and is better... Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Since it's a duology, I would say go for it :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh I didn't know this was a duology! I haven't read the first but I actually have it on my eReader and it sounds like something I'd like. It sounds like a solid sequel and finale, too, and dual POV is often my favorite narrative choice! Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of that either! But after that very satisfying ending, it's perfectly clear that the story is done :D

      Delete
  5. Wow! It's awesome when a duology ends so strongly like this. I haven't read the first book in the series, so I'm definitely going to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing Mel! <3
    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Admittedly I didn't really enjoy Reboot and I'm kind of glad to hear that it's a duology. I'm enjoying the fact that authors are cutting out mediocre middle books altogether. Glad to hear there's quite a bit of development here and the ending is strong. Lovely review Mel!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't think this story could have used another book, it's perfect this way :)

      Delete
  7. Yayayay I'm so happy you liked this one! Every time I see a good review I just get super excited to read it. I'm really hoping I'll love the ending as much as most people did. Thank you so much for reviewing it Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woot! Woot! It's one of my anticipated reads so I'm glad it didn't disappoint. Better start this one soon then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to hear that this is a satisfying conclusion! I had some mixed thoughts about the first book, but did enjoy it overall, so I look forward to getting around to this one soon. I like romance like that too, when it doesn't overshadow the story. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy this one more than the first book, Sam :)

      Delete
  10. Aw, yay :D Amazing review Mel. <3 I'm glad you mostly loved this book :) I did too. Sigh. It was an awesome ending, wasn't it? :) So good. And yess. The romance is so sweet :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard much about this series at all, apart, really, from seeing the cover of the first, but it's fantastic to hear you enjoyed it so much and it ended so nicely. I haven't read a dystopian since December, I don't think, and seeing as it was my favourite genre maybe this is the series to make me love it wholly again! Great review! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a shame there isn't more buzz around this duology!

      Delete
  12. I'm so happy you liked this one too! It's become a favorite duology of mine, and I can totally see this becoming a movie or two. :)
    I completely agree about duologies vs. trilogies - some are just MEANT to be two books, without all that extra unnecessary drama/filler stuff.
    Callum is absolutely adorable and getting his pov was my favorite part. I didn't remember how snarky he could be. :)

    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, a movie would be great! With all the action and the secret romance in the beginning :D

      Delete
  13. The reviews I've been seeing for this book have all been 4 or 5 star reviews which is really awesome to see because i have high hopes for this sequel! Yay for satisfactory ending.

    Brilliant review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  14. Micah is the perfect anti-hero. I can also understand his POV but don't agree with him. I love Wren. I thought her struggle over accepting a leadership role and staying and fighting was believable. Her and Callum were great and complemented each other perfectly. Love this duology <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love characters like Micah :) Very interesting and complex.

      Delete
  15. I've never read the first book, but the praise for the sequel definitely has me interested. Your enthusiasm for the ending definitely has me very curious now! And that bit about Wren turning into a warmer person sounds like something really hard to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! Character development can be difficult, but it works perfectly here.

      Delete
  16. This is my first time hearing of this duology, but man, I should probably check this out. Haven't come across a satisfying dystopia in a while! Fantastic that the ending was nicely tied together, but you still have some freedom for imagination.That is absolutely awesome! Lovely review as always, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0