Monday, July 21, 2014 15:43

Let it go #4. Forget about me + The vanishing season.

Let it go is my new feature, where I will spotlight all the books I DNF and the ones I read, but don’t want to review. And yes, the name is based on the wonderful song from the movie Frozen, hence the snowflake and the reindeer. This feature is based on several other DNF features. 

A short DNF review today. This book had a very interesting promise, but it just didn't work for me. I think it's very personal if you like the writing-style or not - in my case, I didn't. I do love the original promise and I wish I was able to connect with the style. The other is a book where the ending surprised me so much, it added around 0.5 stars to the rating. I wasn't surprised by the crushing effect from this book, because the author destroyed me before.


18599667Kate Karyus Quinn – (Don’t you) forget about me. June 10th 2014 by HarperTeen. Source: Edelweiss & publisher.
Welcome to Gardnerville. A place where no one gets sick. And no one ever dies. Except... There’s a price to pay for paradise. Every fourth year, the strange power that fuels the town exacts its payment by infecting teens with deadly urges. In a normal year in Gardnerville, teens might stop talking to their best friends. In a fourth year, they’d kill them. Four years ago, Skylar’s sister, Piper, was locked away after leading sixteen of her classmates to a watery grave. Since then, Skylar has lived in a numb haze, struggling to forget her past and dull the pain of losing her sister. But the secrets and memories Piper left behind keep taunting Skylar—whispering that the only way to get her sister back is to stop Gardnerville’s murderous cycle once and for all.
 DNF.I appreciate what Kate is trying to achieve here. This is an unique and weird world. I’m very interested in everything that is going on. From the main character who takes pills called ‘forget-me-knots’ to the mystery around her sister Piper. The writing-style makes it even crazier and I understand why a lot of people love that - but it doesn't work for me. I'm confused and I have so many more books to read, that I'm going to quit for now.

18634726
Jodi Lynn Anderson – The vanishing season. July 1st 2014 by HarperTeen.
Source: Edelweiss & publisher.
Girls started vanishing in the fall, and now winter's come to lay a white sheet over the horror. Door County, it seems, is swallowing the young, right into its very dirt. From beneath the house on Water Street, I've watched the danger swell. The residents know me as the noises in the house at night, the creaking on the stairs. I'm the reflection behind them in the glass, the feeling of fear in the cellar. I'm tied—it seems—to this house, this street, this town. I'm tied to Maggie and Pauline, though I don't know why. I think it's because death is coming for one of them, or both. All I know is that the present and the past are piling up, and I am here to dig.I am looking for the things that are buried.
FINISHED: 2.5 stars.This story was unexpected painful, but I should have known. This is the author from Tiger Lily, one of the rare books that make my eyes watery. This book isn’t fantastic and I wish I loved it more than I did, but the twist at the end tugged at my heart. My main complaint where the characters. I didn’t like Pauline and Liam, Maggie was okay but not fleshed out. I hated how Pauline played with Liam’s feelings and how she couldn’t be happy for Maggie.. I’m not going to say anything about the story, because I want you to be surprised like I was.

29 comments:

  1. So sorry Kate's story didn't work for you :( It's totally understandable why you quit and I hope that whatever book you picked up instead worked better for you! It's hard to like a story when you dislike the characters so, again, totally understandable. I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy TVS when you clearly loved Tiger Lily so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger Lily is one of my favorite books, so I guess that's why The vanishing season didn't live up to my expectations.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, (Don't You) Forget About Me is definitely not a book for everyone. I mean I was confused for half of the book O_O but... for me Kate's stories are the kind that slowly unravel and as they unravel you start to appreciate all the work she's put into them more :)

    ugh, I DNFed The Vanishing Season because it was... boring and then when I read the ending (I was curious) I was pretty angry, TBH. Pauline seemed like a horrible friend and Liam just seemed like a doormat. *sigh*

    Lovely reviews, Mel!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bummed I couldn't finish Don't you forget about me :( I've heard from more people that it's really good towards the end.

      Delete
  3. Uh-oh... Usually weird writing turns me off. I DNF a lot of books because of the writing style. I'm still curious about (Don't You) Forget About Me, though, since it does sound like a unique read.

    I wasn't a big fan of Tiger Lily, so I have a feeling that I wouldn't like this one, either, since a lot of Tiger Lily fans are saying this one is weaker than Tiger Lily. :(

    Awesome reviews, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn't like Tiger Lily, I don't recommend this one!

      Delete
  4. Aw, I'm sorry that Don't You Forget About Me didn't work out for you. :( I enjoyed it quite a bit but understand where you're coming from. The confusion and not knowing what the heck was going on bugged me at some points, but the reviews of how it all came together in the end was what kept me reading, and I have to say that I wasn't unsatisfied one bit. I hope you give it another go, Mel, because it really is a unique and strange book, in totally good ways! You just need to be able to make it past the 70% mark, haha.

    Eh, The Vanishing Season wasn't that good, end of story. It's sad that the author of such a well-loved book could've written something so mediocre, but I guess that's life for you. Yup, the twist at the end was what pushed the rating up to three stars as well -- I can't believe I didn't guess it, because it's been done before! But yeah, in the end, I wasn't attached to any of the characters, and I hated both Pauline and Liam for being so cruel. Now I'm just hoping Tiger Lily will be MUCH better.

    Great reviews, hon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70%! Not strange I gave up, I don't think I could get that far.. TIGER LILY IS AMAZING.

      Delete
  5. Don't You Forget About Me was definitely ridiculously confusing! Especially because of that unreliable narrator! The confusion does fade as you read on, but it's totally understandable that you don't want to invest all that time when you have a bunch of other books to read :)

    From what I've seen so far, I think the majority of people have disliked The Vanishing Season. But I really want to read it now for this twist at the end...haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was planning on reading Tiger Lily soon! I have The Vanishing Season, which I'll read some time next week. But I have the UK version, where it's called The Moment Collector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really love Tiger Lily :)

      Delete
  7. I have a copy of the Vanishing Season but I haven't got around to reading it, its not very high on my tbr pile. As Don't You Forget About Me I was really looking forward to reading it but I hate when writing styles are really confusing so that you cant keep up with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen some really good stuff about (Don't You) Forget About Me, but I can see why you'd quit if the writing isn't working. That happens. :)

    I'm just not convinced on The Vanishing Season. I feel bad because I got an egalley and then a finished copy, but almost nobody seems to be loving it. I'm thinking I'm just going to read Tiger Lily instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Vanishing Season is certainly no Tiger Lily but I didn't mind it. It kind of read without a point until the end when everything came together. Then again, I read it easily. The ending was unexpected and kind of heartbreaking and unfair. But there was a certain innocence to it all. I think I ended at 3 stars too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually haven't read (Don't You) Forget About Me yet, mostly because of the many mixed reviews. I tried reading her debut, Another Little Piece, and couldn't get into that either. I suspect I'm like you and can't get into her writing. As for The Vanishing Season, I also agree with you in that the characters weren't all too memorable, but I really liked the story because of Anderson's writing style. So pretty! Thanks for your mini-thoughts, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has a writing-style that doesn't suit me :) Anderson's writing-style on the other hand is amazing.

      Delete
  11. I think I've been reading Don't You Forget About Me for almost two months now... and I'm one of those readers who tries to DNF a book even though I hate it so much right now. Like you, I find that book confusing and very weird. Although I love books with mystery, if it isn't done right (if it's boring) then that's a major turn off for me...but I think I'll still push through. I heard mixed reviews about Vanishing Season. It's sad that others don't want to read Tiger Lily just b/c they did not like Vanishing Season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I expected a lot from The Vanishing Season because I'd heard so much about Tiger Lily, but I was disappointed. Like you, I struggled to care for any of the characters, really. I didn't really feel the emotion either. :( Hopefully I'll have better luck with Tiger Lily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, that is one of my favorite books :)

      Delete
  13. You're not the only one who was underwhelmed by The Vanishing; I've read multiple reviews of bloggers who went in expecting more. Not to say that it's bad, just that it wasn't as good as they'd hoped it would be. And I've been seeing Don't You Forget About Me around quite a bit lately but for some reason, it just didn't appeal to me all that much. Reading your thoughts on the reading style and characters makes me think I'm not missing much :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. NOOOO. I'm sorry you had to DNF (Don't You) Forget About Me :( I loved that book so much. Sniffs. But I do get it. Kind of. Hih. But yeah, I loved it :) And ugh. The Vanishing Season. I HATED that book. Hated hated hated it. So I'm kind of sad you liked it, lol. <3 I should say I get why you liked it, but I don't :p Cause I really did hate it. Sigh. But anyway. Lovely reviews sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started reading (Don't You) Forget About Me a while ago and I am confused with what was happening. However, I decided to just read on in hopes that everything would become more clear later.
    I've seen so many negative reviews and meh reviews for The Vanishing Season that I think I'll just skip that one. There are just too many books to read and so little time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to read both of these books, but I don't know if I'd appreciate (Don't You) Forget About Me. It doesn't seem like my sort of read anymore. I'm still looking forward to The Vanishing Season because it's written by Jodi Lynn Anderson and I've heard her writing is amazing.

    I like this new feature because there are times where I REALLY don't feel like reviewing a certain book and this is definitely something I'd do.

    Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's really personal whether you like her style or not!

      Delete
  17. Love the name!
    I have been skeptical of the Vanishing Season, but still curious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so torn on both of these. I really want to read them, but the ratings all over the board are scaring me. Maybe I'll give them a try and DNF them if necessary. I always feel guilty doing that, but sometimes it's the only option. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0