Friday, July 18, 2014 10:41

Review 274. Elizabeth May – The falconer.

16046550Title: The falconer.
Author: Elizabeth May.
Pages: 312.
Published: September 26th 2013 by Gollancz
Sort: The falconer #1.
One girl's nightmare is this girl's faery tale.
She's a stunner. Edinburgh, 1844. Eighteen-year-old Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, has everything a girl could dream of: brains, charm, wealth, a title — and drop-dead beauty. She's a liar. But Aileana only looks the part of an aristocratic young lady. She's leading a double life: She has the rare ability to sense the s├Čthichean — the faery race obsessed with slaughtering humans — and, with the aid of a mysterious mentor, has spent the year since her mother died learning how to kill them. She's a murderer. Now Aileana is dedicated to slaying the fae before they take innocent lives. With her abilities and her knack for inventing ingenious tools and weapons — from flying machines to detonators to lightning pistols — ruthless Aileana has one goal: Destroy the faery who destroyed her mother. She's a Falconer. The last in a line of female warriors born with the gift for hunting and killing the fae, Aileana is the sole hope of preventing a powerful faery population from massacring all of humanity. Suddenly, her quest is a lot more complicated. She still longs to avenge her mother's murder — but she'll have to save the world first.
Rating:

The first time I heard about this book, I was extremely excited to read it. But when the hype started, it became one of those feared books. I am happy to announce that this book is worth the hype. I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the plot.

Aileana has been training with Kiaran to kill all types of faeries. Her mother died and Aileana is the only one who saw the real killer: a fairy. She is now taking revenge and trying to find the one who killed her mother to avenge her death. But, Aileana is now in danger, because her true nature has been shown: she is a Falconer.

The wonderful thing about this book is the cast. We have Aileana, a feisty hunter who loves to tinker with mechanics to create effective weapons. I would like to stay on her good side, because she knows how to fight. I admired her strength and how she deals with all the people who still talk behind her back; rumours that she is the one who killed her mother. Now she is stuck with her loveless father who plans to marry her off. It could have been worse, because Gavin stole my heart. It was clear from the beginning that they won’t be a couple, but I liked his presence a lot. He has a dry humor and his own gifts come in handy.

Kiaran picks up my drawing. "Try it and I'll pluck your wings off and feed them to you." Derrick hisses. Gavin just looks interested, as if wondering whether such a thing might be possible.
"Well," I say brightly, "we're getting on splendidly, aren't we? Glad to see you're all becoming friends over your mutually violent desires."
"Not me," Gavin says. "I'm just here for the tea."


I also loved Aileana’s best friend and the dynamic they have. It was nice to have a normal friendship, because sometimes friends seem to disappear in storylines. And there is Kiaran; he is mysterious, dark and a bit moody. I liked everything about him, but I do hope to get to know more about him. He is always holding back and he never answers Aileana’s questions.

The plot is a solid story. Aileana is hunting for faeries, until they start to hunt her for her status as Falconer. It was interesting to hear the history about Falconer’s and how this changes her. She is constantly hungry for killing and the thrill of a fight. There is enough action to keep this book fast-paced. The ending is just mean. I was biting my nails and it made me very anxious for the sequel. Be prepared to have your heart shattered in the last couple of pages, but you’re going to love it.


31 comments:

  1. I actually haven't heard the hype (have I been living under a rock somewhere?) and haven't read any Fae books (technically) so I'm excited to read this even more now! Yay for great, non-disappearing friendships! A lot of times they really do seem to fade and then suddenly brought up when they're useful again. Great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me! There was a lot of hype around this one a while back. I thought it was a great FAE BOOK :d

      Delete
  2. First time I've heard of this one!!

    I've never read any books about or featuring faeries before. I have no idea why because so many people seem to adore them. It's just never occurred to me to check those types of things out before, I guess!

    I love a good revenge story and Aileana sounds bad-ASS. Also: hehe Gavin sounds hilarious from that quote alone. Reminds me of Four in Divergent who was always like 'I'm just here for cake'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm so excited you loved this! I've been afraid of the hype too, so I haven't picked it up yet. I love the idea of the Falconers, and yay for great friendship! :D Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it seems like everyone is reading this book at the moment! I'm just over halfway and really enjoying the book, I agree with everything you said about the characters and Aileana in particular. It's really fascinating and she's a really strong character. The romance is excellent as well. Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't really read a fae book yet but I think I would be starting with this book. It seems like Aileana is a character I can root for. I cannot wait to read this. Lovely review, Melanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow 5 stars! This looks really promising and I love strong friendships.

    Great review, Mel! <33

    Melanie @ YA Midnight Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't ask why...but I LOVE books with fairies in them. I've heard nothing but good things about this one, so I'm really intrigued! :D Aileana sounds like such a strong heroine, and I love the sound of her dynamics with her best friend. Definitely going to check this out! Thanks for sharing Mel, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too (if they are well-written, because I don't like cliche fairy stories)

      Delete
  8. That's it. I'm going to convince my mom to order this for me since our local bookstore doesn't carry it. >_< Aileana sounds fantastic. And Kiaran. *strokes non-existent beard* I want to meet this guy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I ADORE THIS ONE. It's so amazing and the twist on fae is awesome. I absolutely can not wait for the sequel. NOWWWWW. (And yes Kiarin >:D )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too! I love this book so very much and it is a favorite of mine now too. I can't wait to read the next book. I NEED more. Yes, the characters were stellar. *sigh* now I want the second book even more. So happy it lived up to the hype for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO GLAD that you loved this book too Mel. <3 It was perfect, wasn't it? Sigh. I want to re-read it already :) Just so good. But omg, yess. That ending! Damn it. So cruel. So perfect. I just. I want book two already. <3 Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weeee, I am thrilled that this one lived up to the hype for you Mel :D I still need to dig in to my copy, like you said with all the buzz it was getting it just made me want to hold off for a bit because I was worried it wouldn't live up to it all. I'll definitely have to dive in soon! The characters sound wonderful, especially the MC and I'm already curious to know all the details on being a Falconer :D Oh and thanks for the warning on that killer ending, I'll try my best to be ready for it LOL. Awesome review ^^ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should dig it out closer to the publication date from part two, to save yourself from the endless wait :p

      Delete
  13. FIVE STARS, WOOT!

    I'm really excited to read this one, though lately I've been seeing more mixed reviews than positive, and that had my excitement decreasing quite a bit. But now that I've read your review, MY FAITH HAS BEEN RESTORED. Especially since we seem to have similar tastes in books, don't we? ;D It's always such a huge relief whenever a largely hyped-up book lives up to your expectations.

    I'd love to meet Aileana. She kind of reminds me of Alina from Shadow and Bone for some reason, probably because the both of them are brave and have similar names. And finally, here's a heroine who knows how to handle shit with dignity! Honestly, all the heroines these days treat negativity toward them with angst and emo-ness. It's starting to get old. Yay for humorous characters, too. It's great that you loved Gavin so much even though he was never going to be with Aileana.

    "It was nice to have a normal friendship, because sometimes friends seem to disappear in storylines." -- Agreed! Or they're conveniently brought back from character purgatory whenever the MC is in trouble just so the story can progress. Hate it when that happens. Friends are real people too, you know. I'm so happy that there's actual lasting friendship here.

    I guess the one thing I'm really concerned about is the world building. Don't think you mentioned it in your review, but was it good? Solid? Not info-dumpy? I'm betting it was alright, otherwise you wouldn't have given this five stars, right? ;) Brilliant review as always, Mel. Definitely hoping to give this one a go someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Meg! We seem to agree on a lot of books, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D Books with a friendship aspect always get extra credit. It's much more realistic then friends that just disappear when the plot kicks in. The world-building is good. Solid enough to understand, but there is not too much, because it's mainly centered around the characters and the plot.

      Delete
  14. The characters in this book sound awesome and i've been very curious about this one cause I've been seeing it around a lot. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I haven't heard of this book... But you seem to love it so I will look it up! I loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaaah another fantasy book that I need to pick up. SOON.
    And from that quote, I think I can safely confess that Gavin sounds like some one I'd like! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds really good! I love fantasy novels, and I can't wait to pick this one up. Great review :)

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you loved this one, Mel! I'm waiting for the sequel to come out since it ends on a cliffy + I just need to make sure there's no love triangle (you know me). But I've heard such great things and it does sound like something I'd really enjoy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for the other book to come closer is a great idea!

      Delete
  19. This book definitely sounds like a me book. And I know Ashley loved this one too. I just placed a hold on it at the library so I will definitely be reading it soon and I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to have to make sure I get to this one! It really looks exciting and I'm glad to see you loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yeah, now this is just what I want to hear, that it's so worth the hype!! I just know I will really dig this story as well, but seeing your comment about the end definitely makes me think I should wait until the sequel is out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. *sigh* I seriously need to buy this book. argh argh argh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0