Saturday, August 02, 2014 18:07

Review 277. M.R Carey – The girl with all the gifts.

17235026Title: The girl with all the gifts.
Author: M.R Carey.
Pages: 460.
Published: June 19th 2014 by Orbit.
Sort: Stand-alone, post-apocalyptic.
NOT EVERY GIFT IS A BLESSINGEvery morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class.When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh.Melanie is a very special girl. Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.
Rating:

I would never have bought this book if it was for the cover, but I’m happy I didn’t let it scare me away. Thanks to the awesome promise, my name and the glowing reviews I took it with me when I visited the bookstore. I was hooked from the moment I opened it! I'm going to stay as vague as possible, because I want you guys to go blind in this book like me. I recommend being that you are careful with reading reviews on Goodreads.


This book starts with Melanie. She is locked in her room and every day she gets strapped to a wheelchair before she is wheeled into her classroom, together with her other wheelchair-bound classmates. At first you have no idea what is going on, but with pieces of information it’s not hard to puzzle together what is wrong with the children. When the base is attacked Melanie escapes with an interesting mix of people: Helen Justineau, the teacher she adores, Sergeant Parks, doctor Caldwell and soldier Kieran Gallagher. Together they must find their way back to another base, but the road is long and they are not alone..

It was such an intense story. The world is torn apart after a pandemic that influences every infected person. The mysterious thing is that some people are able to overcome this infection and they are capable of functioning like a healthy person. I loved the moral questions in this book and how provoking it was. How far can you go to save humanity? The fact that you see the situation through different eyes (in third POV) is interesting and I could understand doctor Caldwell's obsession with finding a cure. I’m not saying she was right, but I could see where she was coming from. But when you shift to Helen and her relationship with Melanie, the story messes with your feelings again. It was heart-warming to see them together and their somewhat strange bond.

I must say that it was fun to see my name in this book and I’m not ashamed; Melanie is a wonderful character. She is loyal to the woman she loves as a mother (Helen), she is brave and intelligent. I liked her perspective on matters and I think Mike did a good job on her voice. She has a voice that fits a girl of her age. I also liked how everyone had their distinctive voices and specific role in this story. It worked really well together.

The explanation for the outbreak was simply amazing. Coming from someone who is going to work in the field of microbiology, I was happy to see this explored. It’s very clear that Mike spend a lot of time on researching this matter. I thought it was well-explained and terrifying, because things like this could happen.

Some parts might have been a little slow, but I was swept away in their journey to safety. They come across some scary and bloody situations. If you look for a book with a realistic portrayal of human feelings, moral questions, thrilling scenes and medical backgrounds, this is the book you want to pick up. Also, the ending was spot-on. I highly recommend this book.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

30 comments:

  1. Ooh lala! I've been seeing this book around the blogosphere not very often, so I'm glad you decided to pick it up and read/review it! I'm really intrigued by the moral questions you mentioned; I love it when books are thought-provoking and deep. And thank goodness for a good explanation for post-apocalyptic stuff! I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the wonderful review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was intrigued when I found my name, haha. I was happy to see that the medical part was well-explored.

      Delete
  2. OMG this book sounds absolutely amazing and you have SOLD me with your review. It sounds completely thrilling and thought provoking, which is exactly what I look for in a book! Great review Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, yay :D I'm so glad to see you loved this book too. I have seen so many people loving it. And I do own it. Just need to find the time to read it :D Hopefully soonish. <3 Amazing review Mel. It so sound like such a good book :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I haven't read your review,I would have never guessed that this is a great book.The cover is really deceiving.
    I love books that take me through an intense emotional ride,so I think maybe I should check this one out.And this is probably the first time I saw a review you wrote with high ratings,so this must have been a really amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy this book is getting enough love to make other people interested, because it's a great story :)

      Delete
  5. I sooo want to read this book. At first I had no idea it was about powers and things (which is pretty dumb considering the title...'scuse me while I facepalm for a minute, I AM A LITTLE CLUELESS) but then....ah! I'm so sold. x)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I loved this one. I TOTALLY agree that Melanie is an awesome character! Also, wasn't the ending brilliant?! When I read the last page everything felt so perfect, although I can't believe I didn't see that coming… :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was AMAZING. Normally I don't like stories that end kind of.. open, but it was so fitting for the story.

      Delete
  7. So glad you loved this one, it's one of my favorites of the year (so far!) I agree, the exploration into the specifics behind the outbreak were amazing and was my favorite aspect of it. Some zombie books can be so unbelievable. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard of this, but for some reason I just put it aside; but your review is really intriguing Mel! I love the sound of Melanie as a character, and how loyal, brave and intelligent she is. And the fact that the world-building was well-done in your eyes - especially considering you're planning to study the topic.

    Definitely going to give this a try Mel. Thanks for sharing and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :D Another one interested in the book!

      Delete
  9. I loved it so much! I'm so glad you did too. I just thought it was so beautifully done. The cover was a bit meh but I'm so glad we all are reading it because it is worth it for sure. Great review Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to see that you loved this one, Mel. I read this not too long ago and was swept away by how intense and deep and just awesomely profound it was. It really was a thought-provoking read, and I loved how it humanized these flesh-eating abominations we usually associate with blood and gore and pretty much splattered brains. It's the kind of book that needs to be discussed in literature classes!!

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book would be great for people who are on the fence for this creatures. It sheds another light on that genre :)

      Delete
  11. Wow! From your review, I gather that this book was pretty much an all-around winner. Thanks for the heads up about avoiding GoodReads reviews, and going into this one blind. I am going to follow your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Carmel! Do let me know what you think about it (or I just keep stalking your blog ;))

      Delete
  12. intense! I need to make this one a priority read this month - Now I've heard nothing but fabulous things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have totally ignored that premise and cover if not for the amazing reviews that have been coming in. Seriously, I have yet to find a person who hasn't enjoyed this book, which makes me all the more eager to give it a try for myself! It does sound like the type of book best read while being relatively blind of the plot, so I'll have to make sure to avoid spoilers.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this book is the best if you know as little as possible.

      Delete
  14. Woah, I've been seeing this one around more and more lately and I am definitely impressed! I think I probably would have bypassed this one based on the cover as well, so I'm glad that I've been reading some glowing reviews that have convinced me that this one is not to be missed! Loove how intense this one sounds and how moving as well! Really fantastic review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you sometimes just pick up a book you don't expect to love; and suddenly it surprises you :D

      Delete
  15. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too, Mel! I also loved this one, and I count it among my favorites now. It was so intense, and like you said, the ending was amazing! And I am happy this is a standalone and not another series I need to complete. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the second glowing review I have read for this book and I am definitely intrigued! I look forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is this Christmas? Because here you are posting TWO reviews of books I love! heee. I saw your rating on GoodReads, but am happy to see your review. That ending was so, so good.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing how fast time flies, it could be Christmas for all I know :p

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0