Tuesday, August 05, 2014 07:00

Review 278. Alison Goodman – Eon.

7261699Title: Eon.
Author: Alison Goodman.
Pages: 531.
Published:  August 31st 2014 by Firebird.
Sort: Eon #1.

Sixteen-year-old Eon has a dream, and a mission. For years, he's been studying sword-work and magic, toward one end. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye - an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.
When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.
Rating:

This book was our book club pick for April and one of the few books we all finished and completely loved. It’s such a fantastic story, so we picked Eona almost immediately as our June book (which was disappointing to me, but you will see all about that on Friday)


Eon, who is actually Eona, has been training with his master for years in the hope to become the next Dragoneye. This year it’s time for the Rat Dragon, with Lord Ido as current Dragoneye. It’s not allowed for women to use Dragon Magic, so she is in constant danger; especially when her secret comes out. Eon isn’t picked by the Rat Dragon, but her presence awakens the long disappeared Mirror Dragon. Her enemies are ready to bring her down and she is plunged into a dangerous game.

One of the most interesting things about this book is the lack of romance. I have mixed feelings about this. You all know I don’t really care for romance in my books, unless it’s vital for the story. I was definitely shipping Eon with a character, but at the same time I also liked how it’s all focused on action and Eon. I do hope that my ship is going to sail in the next book!

Eon/Eona is a wonderful character. She is crippled after a hip injury and it makes her very aware of herself and her physical limits. I like how mentally strong she is and how she manages to deal with all the stress that comes with her secret. Eon felt realistic to me and it was amazing to see her grow into her power.

If you want to have an unique character, you must meet Lady Dela. She is a transwoman: she has a biologically male body, but she embraces her true inner femininity. I love the part where she describes how she is a respected member in her tribe. Her culture calls her a two-souled person, also Contraire, and having true souls is seen as a true honor. The best thing is that this is all so normally entwined in the book. Sometimes with books, like when there is a gay character, I feel like the author is trying to put too much focus on that fact. Goodman did a great job with Lady Dela. She is not the only secondary character; they are all fleshed out and I loved meeting them.

Warning: the books ends rather abrupt, so make sure you have the next book on the shelves. You want to continue this series right away!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

23 comments:

  1. Ahh I am so sad to hear you were disappointed by Eona as well. I ADORED Eon but when I read Eona.. it was a major let down *sigh*

    I am definitely curious to see what couple you shipped, though! I love my romances in general but I'd rather one not be forced if it's not essential to the story.

    Lady Dela was a FANTASTIC character.

    I am glad you enjoyed this one, Mel!

    Lovely review!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who was disappointed :(

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Mel! I loved this book myself, though sad to hear you didn't enjoy Eona quite as much. I'm glad you liked Eona's character. And Lady Dela too! I tend to enjoy a bit of romance in my books, but I don't always need it.

    Lovely review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I don't know how I feel yet about a lack of romance, but it'll be something new. I'm so excited to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this would be great for me but I think my sister would love it! She has a soft spot for dragon books and doesn't usually like to read books with a lot of romance. I shall recommend it to her! Thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book sounds like a perfect match for her! :) Let me know if she reads it.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean, Mel! I always complain about books having too much romance, but when there's a lack of it... I ship even harder!

    I picked this up around two years ago, and I remember getting through half of it. It was REALLY good, and I was enjoying what I was reading. I can't remember why, but I did put this book down.. I think an anticipated book came out and I wanted to read it first? Anyway, I should really pick this one up again soon! So sad that you were disappointed by Eona. :(

    Awesome review, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Most of the time I feel 'mweeeh' about the romance, but this time I felt the story could use a little more :)

      Delete
  6. YESSS, you enjoyed it! Shame you were let down by the sequel, though. I like a bit of romance in my books, but I didn't mind that there wasn't any in this one. I agree that Eon/Eona was a wonderful character and yep Goodman really did do a good job with Lady Dela. Looking forward to reading your review on Eona, curious to see what you were let down by.

    Lovely review! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, Lady Dela sounds like a really unique character that I haven't read before! I had no idea there was no romance in this one, it sounds exciting though. I've got the 2 books on my shelf signed by the author, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one has been on my radar FOREVER but for some reason I've never gotten around to reading it. So glad that you enjoyed and hopefully I'll get around to reading it soon! Great review, as always Mel! ;)

    -Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Eona. :( I loved both books in this duology, but I suppose I'll wait to read your thoughts on that later this week.
    For now, I am very happy to see that you loved Eon so much! Eon is definitely one of my favorite books I've read since I started blogging.
    And I do agree that it was so refreshing to see a novel that didn't focus on romance. I'd rather not have romance than have romance for the sake of simply having some, and the lack of romance made me appreciate Eona's characterization and struggles all the more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Romance for the sake of romance is always so forced.

      Delete
  10. I loved this book a lot. I do agree that it was inferior compared to the sequel, but gods, I just loved Eon/Eona here. She really is an amazing character who will no doubt inspire everyone who reads her story. And the backdrop is Asian in nature! That's bloody awesome.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eona/Eon was amazing here and yes, the setting was great :D

      Delete
  11. I loved this one too! I was happy to find that the romance was barely focused on, as I was much more interested in the main story line. Your review just makes me want to reread this series. It's one of my favorites! I look forward to your review for Eona though I'm sorry to hear you didn't love it. I loved both of these books, but I am curious to hear your thoughts on it. Lovely review, Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been SO LONG since I read these two books. Omg. I must re-read soon. <3 BUT YAY. I am so so glad you loved this book. <3 Wasn't it just awesome? Sigh. I loved it so much. But yeah. I don't remember it all :p But Lady Dela! Ack. Yes. So awesome, hih. Thank you for sharing Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this sounds like a book I would really enjoy. But the fact that you were disappointed in the sequel has me worried. I look forward to your review to find out why!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, glad you took to this one so strongly, Mel! It really does sound fantastic and I really appreciate the diversity of the cast. This one has been on my tbr forever, but I really think it's time that I move it up on my list! Although I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't like Eona as much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MEL!! I am so, so happy that you loved EON. I love this book so much that it makes me nervous when people read it, because sometimes they get frustrated with her not figuring out her big obstacle sooner (it frustrated me a bit too, because it's so easier to figure out). But if you didn't have any trouble with this, you're going to love EONA even more! So much swoon, Mel. So much swoon.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling! You want everyone to love THAT book and if they don't, it makes you really sad.

      Delete
  16. I've had this book sitting on my shelves for years now and I have yet to pick it up. I know I WANT to read it but for whatever reason I don't get around to it. Reading your review here and seeing how much you enjoyed it, how different and intriguing it sounds will hopefully push me to pick it up myself soon :D I am sorry that the sequel let you down though :( but I'm happy you had so much fun with this one ^^ I can't wait to meet Eona and the rest of these interesting characters!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0