Sunday, August 10, 2014 10:56

Review 279. Susan Ee – Angelfall

17789310Title: Angelfall.
Author: Susan Ee.
Pages: 325.
Published: May 23rd 2013 by Hodder and Stoughton.
Sort: Penryn & The end of days #1.

It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain.
Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Rating:

I was completely blown away by this book! Most authors fall for those cliche traps where they take a much used topic and don’t manage to add something new to it. Not Susan Ee. This book changed the way I look at Angels and I love how she turned everything upside down. It’s time to let go of every Angel image you have. It’s time to meet the apocalypse Angels.
Penryn’s world is a scary place. She takes care of her wheelchair-bound sister Paige, who became cripple after a mysterious accident in her childhood. Their mother is a difficult woman who spends her days raving about demons and how they are coming for them – but that is the least of her problem. Their apocalyptic world is dominated by Angels and when one of them steals her sister, Penryn is determined to get her back. She kidnaps a wounded Angel and forces him to take her to her sister. Raffe is not amused, but it turns out they have a good team work.

The first sign that this book was going to be a hit for me, was the writing-style. From the moment I started Angelfall I was wrapped in the story. There is something very easy and flowy about her choice of worlds. Not to forget that it’s filled with details without being too much. I was there, I saw and felt everything Penryn had to endure. It was amazing.

Another thing I adore were the characters; more specific, the dynamic between characters. Penryn is this normal girl with a bad-ass attitude, who will do everything to get her sister back. I like how realistic she was. She has flaws and she is not the best in everything, but her love for her sister makes her a stronger version of herself. It was very clear in those couple of pages that she has a strong bond with Paige. There is also Raffe, I love this sarcastic guy. He has to deal with a horrible loss and then he gets stuck with his ‘annoying’ girl. Their banter is the best! And by now, you might know that this is one of my favorite type of romances. From the moment she laid eyes on him, I just knew I wanted them to be together.

”You are nothing but a bird with attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

The last thing I want to address is the original use of the Angels and the gory scenes. I admire how Susan created something unique and her version of Angels is my favorite (and scariest) type. These super developed flying humans with incredible strength, quick healing and merciless personalities are terrifying. The things they do with human children give some frightening, bloody scenes; which I absolutely loved! The ending was nicely done. She wrapped up most of this story, but leave a lot of space for the next book. I can't wait to start World after!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

42 comments:

  1. This has been on my to-read list for far too long and your review makes me want to drop everything and read it. I love angel stories; it seemed like YA just got too oversaturated with them a while back, but this take on it sounds completely unique and exciting. Glad you loved it, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIGHT? This book is absolutely amazing and I can't believe how original Ee made angels. With all those fallen angel stories you think we'd be sick of it, but HOLY CRAP. Angelfall is just stunning. And AGREED. Penn and Raffe together *are* the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see more of them in World after :D

      Delete
  3. Oh gawd, this is ANOTHER book I've owned for ages and is just collecting dust on my shelf. The worst thing is, EVERYONE agrees with you that this is a BRILLIANT book! WHY am I NOT listening and reading this book already?!? Gah! >.< The characters sound amazing and despite already being scared of these angels, I also want to know more! Another awesome review Mel ^^ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally loved this one!! I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it, actually, because I hadn't had any good experiences with angel books before then. They all seemed quite mediocre?? But the combo of angels and the apocalypse was BRILLIANT. I couldn't put it down! I still haven't read book #2, but that's probably a good thing since book #3 is like taking forever to come out, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, but I can't ignore my copy any longer!

      Delete
  5. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time, but after reading your review I am definitely prompted to pick it up much sooner than I planned to. I heard it was good, but that little excerpt and the sound of the characters has me eager to find out for myself. Great review and I am glad to head you enjoyed it soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I was the only one who didn't love this as much as it everyone did :( Your review is very persuasive tho, which makes me want to read it again! I'm reading World After for the Bout of Books Readathon though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading all the crazy five-star reviews for this book, I went into it with really high expectations, but came out a little underwhelmed. Still, Angelfall was one hell of a book and even though I can't remember much now, I do remember enjoying it a lot. So I'm glad that you felt the same way, too! Originality was definitely one of the book's strongest points. All YA books be like, "Angels are good, angels are heavenly," but Susan Ee took that mindset and pretty much beat the crap out of it.

    I really liked the familial bond in this book, too. There wasn't much interaction between Paige and Penryn, but it was still easy to sense the love between them both. Such a refreshing change from the usual boy-girl romances. And agreed, the conversations between Raffe and Penryn were GOLD. I actually expected them to get together by the end of the book, but they didn't and I'm really happy that the author is taking things slow.

    Haven't read World After yet, but like this one, I've been hearing amazing stuff about it. Hope you get the chance to read it soon, Mel. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing with hyped books :( Yes, the author scores on so many different aspects. I do hope to see more Paige-Penryn time.

      Delete
  8. Oh man, I really need to get my butt in gear and READ this one already!! I have not once read a negative review, which is pretty impressive, I think. I think I especially love how you say that the author doesn't play to the usual angel book stereotypes - original angel books are hard to come by so that alone sells me on the book, among many other things of course :D Fantastic review, Mel - I now want to read this one more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originality is the word I would use to describe this book!

      Delete
  9. Haha their banter is the best! I always end up secretly smiling or having random fits of laughter. Angelfall is definitely a breath of fresh air compared to other YA novels. The theme is unique, the main character is strong, yet flawed, and the writing is perfect. Hope you enjoy World After as much as I did! Then you can suffer with the rest of us while we wait for the third book to release. xD

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! The banter between Raffe and Pen makes me giggle every time I read it. And it just gets better in World After; Pookie Bear is perhaps the most hilarious scene EVER. Although the angels kind of scared me at first; the gore was unexpected. It is a nice twist to the usual angels I read about though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one I've been meaning to read for absolute ages. I've got a copy, but just haven't picked it up to read yet! All I read is great things, though, and I really want to see what she's done with angels! Oh my gosh, and yay for gore! My favorite! Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the last blogger on earth who hasn't read this book! I've heard so many amazing things, I'm not sure why I haven't yet... I'm so happy to hear that you loved Ee's writing style! And eep, the romance seems awesome. Raffe! And I'm definitely curious about Ee's take on Angels. Thanks for the lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this one! Angelfall was one of my absolute favourites as well. I still need to get my hands on the last book but when I do, I'll get straight into it. Lovely review as always Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it's the first time I've seen a 5 star review by you You must have really loved this book. loved this book so much.I was so sad that this was such a short book.
    Everything was perfect in the book.The writing, the characters, the dialogues the action.
    I also love the twisted version of angels that Susan gives us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, damn it. Now I must read this book soon, lol. I do own both of them. And ack. I LOVE your review, Mel :D So so glad you loved this one. <3 I'm excited about reading it. YAY for loving the romance, hih. And Raffe. Ack. I want to meet him. And ohh. I do love bloody scenes, hih. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really like this one and the romance, Carina! No love-triangle or insta-love ;)

      Delete
  16. I have owned the first 2 books since Christmas but still haven't read them. All these glowing reviews are making me really want to bump it up my TBR. It just sounds so incredible and like a book I will love so much. I think I keep putting it off because I worry it won't live up to the hype, which seems to happen a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that happens to me all the time, but this one lived up to it :)

      Delete
  17. I completely agree, Mel! I was immediately wrapped up in the story telling - the action, Penryn's voice, the characters, the creepy factor, and, of course, the romance. Penryn and Raffe share some of the best banter, and I love how they work together as a team. I hope you enjoy book 2 just as much! Then you can agonize with me over the wait for #3. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY Melanie I am SO glad you finally picked this book up because it was AMAZING! And I'm happy to report that World After is amazing too, and the creepy parts were a shock but somehow fit into the greater story you know? And you got to meet Raffe, yippee! Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read this one last year, and I read World After a little while ago. My relationship with the books is... complicated. They're not the best things I've ever read, but the series has sucked me in and I definitely want to keep reading. I was a little disappointed with the second book (and you might be, too, judging by what you said you liked about the first book)... but it was still pretty fun, and a good addition to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i loved this as well though I did think the justification over why she was so trained and badass was a bit wonky lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Me + angels is just not the right combination. Although I really appreciated the way Susan Ee portrayed angels in her book, I just did not like the book in general. I'm glad you did though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved how unique the angels were in this story. I thought it was such a different darker take on them. There was no lack of action either. I think you will really enjoy the next one as well :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have this one and the second book just waiting on my shelves to read. I obviously really need to read it! I'm so glad you loved this one - makes me feel justified in my purchased copy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. AHHHHH, MELLL!! I'm SO glad you liked this! It's one of my favourite books and I even made my Mum read it! She loves the series too, I am desperate to get a copy of the 3rd book! Great review!

    Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am not a big reader of YA, but I have to say that I really like the cover art on this one.

    Mica
    iphone 6 cases

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0