Wednesday, August 20, 2014 14:41

Review 282. Libba Bray – The diviners.

7728889Title: The Diviners.
Author: Libba Bray.
Pages: 578.
Published: September 18th by Little, Brown books for Young readers.
Sort: The Diviners #1.
Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult. Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer. As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.
Rating:

First of: this book is creepy! Don’t let the thickness of this book stop you from reading this one, because it’s a great story with interesting characters. I’m happy we decided to pick this book up for our book club, otherwise I wouldn’t have read this one any time soon.

“Naughty John has come home. And he has work to do.”

Evie is sent to her uncle Will, owner from the Museum for creepy things: American folklore, superstition and occult, after a drama between her and a guy. She used her powers on him and now he is mad she told everyone his secret. Evie is able to get information about people when she touches something personal. That power can come in handy, because her uncle is asked to help in a mysterious murder case. Someone is killing random people and he/she leaves marks on their body.

I loved how we slowly got more information about the killer and why he murders all those people. The chapters about Naughty John scared me; he is one creepy character. The part where he enters Evie’s dream and tells her ‘he can see her’ and ‘he is coming for her’.. Or when she enters his house and he calls for her, because the house is sort-of alive.. *shivers*

Okay, moving on to the other characters. I liked Evie. She can be a bit rash and inconsiderate for the people around her, but her heart is in the right place. She is feisty, intelligent and definitely not a scary-pants. I absolutely loved her banter with Sam, the guy who stole her money when she arrived in New York. He got a job at Will’s museum and Evie does everything to make him feel unwanted. I was rooting for them, but her strange and completely unexpected romance with another character came in the way. I wasn’t feeling it.

There are also chapters that switch to other POV’s, like Memphis and his brother Isaiah. Memphis had powers in the past, but he lost them after he tried to heal his mother. Isaiah is able to tell the future through his dreams and he is training with two older woman. They also have a small role where they tell that ‘The Diviners are coming’ although you still have no clue what is exactly going on at the end of this book.

That was the most frustrating thing. You read this huge book filled with characters and small peeks of information, but in the end you are just as clueless as when you started it. It also took too long before all the stories came together, so I still don’t know what role Memphis and his brother are going to play. This made the story a little slow at times. Nevertheless, a good solid book with a great setting and interesting cast. I’m up for more!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

42 comments:

  1. This book was on my TBR for like 2 years and I'm so glad I finally picked it up because I loved it! I feel the same way about the romance, I was really hoping Evie and Sam would get together but oh well!

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to reading this one! I have had it sitting on my shelves for a little over half a year now, but I don't know why I haven't picked it up. I am glad you enjoyed it! However I will note that this is not a book to read when it's midnight and I am trying to fall asleep... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh i've wanted to read this book for quite some time but the sheer size of it has kept me from it. The length of this book kind of intimidates me, LOL. You have such good things to say about this one though that i'm pretty excited to go read it (despite it's size). Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't lie. I had this on loan from the library and got really intimidated by the length. I'll try to pick it up again, Evie sounds like my kind of girl. :)

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the size of this book, and despite it looking intimidating, I do want to read it. I really need to get around to reading a Libba Bray book because she sounds like she writes good books. I like the sound of this one, shame about the romance taking an unexpected twists that you didn't feel, but either way, a cover like this and the sound of the plot, it makes it hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance might twist again in the sequel :)

      Delete
  6. Another great review for this one! Ugh, okay already. I'll read it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book!! I can't wait for the rest of the series to come out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review sweetie. <3 But omg. I DO NOT AGREE. I did not like Sam at all :( I loved her romance with the other boy. <3 But damn it. I am SURE there is a damn love triangle in book two :( Seriously. I am not pleased. So upset about it. Sigh. Anyway. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Mel :D I loved it too. But been so long since I read it :p Anyway. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, like always, we disagree on the boys :p

      Delete
  9. Lovely review! :) I read this way back in February, and even now I can still remember just how scary some of the chapters are. I rarely for go supernatural and/or scary books, but I actually enjoyed this one! I'm looking forward to the sequel; hopefully some of the lingering questions will be answered.

    Bella @ Ciao Bella

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard about this John character... the book trailer totally freaked me out and put me off to this one to begin with but I own it, and I plan to read it really soon! It looks crazy in a good way...Great review, Mel! :)

    -Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't given this book much thought before now (the sober didn't appeal to me - I know I was totally judging a book by its cover) but after reading the blurb and your review, my interest has definitely been piqued. I like the sound of the creepiness and the time period it takes place in. It sounds like there's a love triangle, though, and I'm definitely not a fan of that. I'm going to add this to my TBR and hopefully get around to it soon!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I just thought she had a good chemistry with Sam, but I guess she had more feelings for the other guy :)

      Delete
  12. Yup, I've been pretty much avoiding this one because of its crazy length and it's pretty rare that I feel like I have the time to read a chunkster like this! But eventually I will have to stop putting it off because I'm pretty sure I'll end up really liking it like you did, even if it does get a bit slow at times. Thanks for the review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am dying to read this book.I've got a lot of recommendations for this one, and since I love my books intense and actionpacked, this sounds exactly like a book I'd love.But I am waiting until I physical copy because I don't like reading really long books as ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S-This book was published on my birthday:)I share my birthday with a lot of great books, I am so proud:)

      Delete
  14. I remember reading this as it came out, but honestly no longer have much of a recollection left (except for Jericho. I definitely remember liking Jericho LOL). It's such a shame that the sequel has been postponed for years and years. I'll have to do a reread as soon as the 2015 date is actually close by, and for once confirmed...Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like it when that happens without a good reason..

      Delete
  15. I just won this! Today! Omg, talk about coincidences, right?! I didn't realise how big it was though, until I took it out of the package and my bookish soul cried a little because I SO do not get on well with huge books. But we'll see. If it's worth 4-stars I definitely need to have a go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope you will give it a shot soon :D

      Delete
  16. This sounds good, but the ending has me nervous. I kind of want some kind of closure at the end or to have some clue what's going on. Might have to wait till I have the 2nd book available to read before I begin this series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ackkkk I tried to read this when it first came out but I COULD NOT GET THROUGH IT. It was huge and I barely knew what was happening lol. I'll probably have to retry it later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one has been sitting on my shelf for a looong time. Seeing your review - and how much you enjoyed it overall - will hopefully push me to starting in on this bad boy soon! The creepiness sounds like it would make you read very quickly, so the book much not feel as long as it looks haha! Glad you enjoyed this one overall Mel and thanks for the thoughtful review ^^ x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds SO intriguing Mel! I love the sound of the mystery and the paranormal aspects and how they're blended together. Evie sounds like a really relatable character with realistic flaws, and I look forward to experiencing her story. It's a shame the ending doesn't really tie things up though; but it sounds like everything else is wonderful, so I'll probably be able to overlook that. Thanks for sharing Mel and for putting this under my radar, and BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  20. YES! (: I'm so glad you loved this one girl. I consider you my fellow historical fiction fan so I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed this one just as much as me.

    Naughty John is fucking terrifying. “Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells 'em off for a coupla stones.” I read this one during the night and I silently screamed while reading that line okay. Libba Bray really amps up the creepy in this one, that's for sure. It's also just so atmospheric, I really loved all of the roaring twenties elements and felt truly immersed in this one. Libba Bray really excels at combining paranormal elements and historical ones.

    I remember loving Evie! She seems like the pinnacle flapper girl of the twenties and I love it. Still, there's certainly more depth to her and it makes her character all the more endearing. I really can't wait for the sequel, I want to read more about her adventures and more of her lovely narration.

    I haven't read this in awhile, but I do agree with you on the romance. It did seem to be heading in Sam's favor but then things just went completely to another angle which I'm not as fond of. Still, I do remember enjoy the love interest himself, just not so much the relationship.

    Lovely review <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to a song sung by a child's voice and it was SO CREEPY.

      Delete
  21. This sounds so intriguing! I am a bit daunted by it being so long and perhaps I won't feel satisfied with the ending, but I love the idea of it, and I haven't read a good properly creepy book in a while, so maybe this will do it for me! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to read this one..it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh I just love this book so much! Naughty John gave me the creeps!!! But I loved Evie!! There is a lot that is still unanswered but I feel like we'll get into all the Diviners stuff in the next book, and this was just a loose introduction. I can't wait but I am bummed the pub date was pushed back until next April!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you liked this one too, Mel! It seems you and I had similar thoughts about this one. The romance was definitely out of left field and detracted from it a bit, I think, especially when Evie had such palpable chemistry with Sam. As for the ending, I feel like it was too much setting up for a sequel and not enough wrapping up in this book!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been really curious about this one so I'm happy to read that you enjoyed it! I was either going to catch up with the Bloodlines series or start this and I chose Bloodlines :/ Evie sounds like a pretty relatable character and the creep factor is really intriguing. Love triangle then? Should be interesting, especially if the romance with the other character seemed random. I do like Libba Bray though so we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad to hear you loved it overall Mel, there were some parts of it that were confusing and boring for me, but overall, the setting was amazing. Definitely a must read I think!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Naughty John creeped me out too! His chapters were just shudder-worthy, but I pressed on despite being a huge horror chicken. I agree that the romance was... Meh for me. :| Still, I'm glad you liked it as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for your review, Mel! I haven't started this series yet - wanted to wait for the sequel first - but have heard a lot of great things. I love murder mysteries (especially in movie form), although I can see why this one might be a bit frustrating. Also, the romance worries me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0