Wednesday, September 17, 2014 00:58

Mel in Movieland | Into the storm review.


Welcome to my new feature, where I will be combining books and movies! I bet you can guess how I came up in the name, but in case you aren’t; Alice in Wonderland. You can find my inspirations in this post Fairytale news: other content.

MV5BMjMwODI2ODc3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQwNjkwMjE@._V1_SX214_AL_Here is it! The first movie review I've ever written. I was planning to talk about music too, but to be honest, I wasn't paying attention to that aspect.

Information:
Release Information.
Director: Steven Quale.
Writer: John Swetnam.

Storyline (IMDB):
In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot.

Rating:
3 lemondeBased on the fact that I don’t feel the need to buy it on DVD or to watch it again any time soon. It’s a good movie and I recommend watching it if you enjoy disaster movies, but it’s not the most memorable movie I’ve ever seen.



Plot.
The local high school in Silverton, Oklahoma, is preparing for graduation. High school’s vice-principal Gary has two sons and they are tasked with recording messages for a time capsule. When the ceremonies start the weather suddenly swifts. The tornado sirens sounds and everyone is instructed to stay low inside the school building. Gary finds out that his eldest son (Donnie) isn’t there. He sets out to rescue the boy.


tumblr_nb3n7c3XvE1tfk0p3o2_500

At the same time we get to see the story of Pete, a storm chaser, who is set on filming the eye of a tornado with his heavily armoured vehicle Titus. A new funnel they’ve been following leads them to the high school. All hell is going to break loose when, in the skies above Silverton, a convergence of tornadoes happens, resulting in an EF5 tornado. This tornado will destroy everything that comes in it’s path.

tumblr_nb3n7c3XvE1tfk0p3o3_500

Ending.
I like how everything wraps up, even when it’s a little cliched.  I felt the story could use such an ending after all the disaster. I wished they provided some information how all these tornadoes were formed, but I guess that's not important for the overall story.

Verdict:
Very intense movie, but I don’t think it’s as impressive if you don’t watch it in the cinema. I like how there are some lighter parts in the movie to keep it from being too overwhelming. Richard is always a pleasant actor to look at (and listen to) and he did a great job in portraying a desperate father. I was impressed by the special effects and how realistic everything looked. Some of the shots were amazing and terrifying! I was frustrated by some of the other characters and they don't get much background or depth, but overall a solid movie if you like disaster stories. Just don't go in expecting great dialogues or a strong story; this is a movie you need to see for the crazy tornadoes.

twistingcclonefire

Some natural disaster books.

-Susan Beth Pfeffer – Life as we knew it. “How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun?”
-Mike Mullin – Ashfall. “Then the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, plunging his hometown into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence.”
-Emmy Laybourne –Momentum 14. “While outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapons spill, seems to be tearing the world—as they know it—apart.”
-Joshua David Bellin – Survival Colony nine. “Querry is a member of Survival Colony Nine, one of the small, roving groups of people who outlived the wars and environmental catastrophes that destroyed the old world.”
-Lara Zielin – The waiting sky. “One summer chasing tornadoes could finally change Jane's life for the better”
-Kat Falls – Dark life. “Set in an apocalyptic future where rising oceans have swallowed up entire regions and people live packed like sardines on the dry land left”
-Kristi Cook - Magnolia. "But when a violent storm ravages Magnolia Branch, it unearths Jemma’s and Ryder’s true feelings for each other as the two discover that the line between love and hate may be thin enough to risk crossing over"
(Thanks to Emily:) -Jennifer Brown - Torn away. "Jersey knows what to do when the tornado sirens sound. But she never could have prepared for this."

Have you seen the movie or read any of these books? How do you feel about natural disaster movies?

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

35 comments:

  1. Oh Iike how you match it up with books at the end there too! SO smart. ;-) I haven't really read many disaster books or watched the movies, but to be honest? I read a lot more than a watch. And in movies I prefer something actiony but with comedy. STILL. This sounds like a real intense one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks! It was important to make a connection between movies and books :D

      Delete
  2. Great list of books too! I loved Magnolia. I really enjoy natural disaster books. Movies, I'm more into comedies and chick flicks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats on your first MIM post Mel!! I love the format you went with here! I especially love how you pair it up with book suggestions at the end ♥ Ashfall is an awesome disaster book! Monument 14 is on the tbr shelf but I'll be checking out the rest of these. Thanks for the suggestions :D

    As for Into the Storm well I feel like this is actually the first time I've heard of it. It's sounds like an entertaining disaster-type movie but I'm not surprised it wasn't all that memorable either so I definitely understand enjoying it but not wanting to own it or rewatch either. Thanks for the lovely review ^^ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a biggest fan of disaster movies, but I've been known to enjoy one or two. i can see how this would work much better on the big screen. And what a great list of books! I actually just finished Laybourne's final book and loved it!
    Thanks for sharing, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about that series, I need to check it out.

      Delete
  5. Wow definitely looks like some great effects in this movie! And I love the book comparisons!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After watching The Day After Tomorrow, I decided that disaster movies aren't my thing. I mean they are all pretty cliche and predictable, but yeah the visual effects are pretty cool. reat review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost had to watch this one for school, but I agree, it seems like a kind of movie that needs to be the theatre. Lighting, mood, effects, and all :) I love the format and this feature, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh cool I was just thinking of started books-to-movie reviews. I haven't ever reviewed a movie either. I haven't watched this one but I love natural disaster movies and books (Ashfall FTW!!) so I def need to check this one out! It sounds so intense!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE disaster films, from The Day After Tomorrow, Twister, even the old Poseidon Adventure. I'm dying to see this, we're lucky enough to have a pretty big TV, so I might wait until it comes out on Blu Ray and buy a copy. Brilliant book match ups, I've read Life As We Knew it, Ashfall and Monument 14 which I all loved! Going to check the others out. Thanks so much for sharing Mel <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched this already and I have to agree that it was intense, but it lacked something. Oooh, the ending really touched me :( The one when they re-answered the question from the beginning. I can very much relate to because the Philippines always have typhoons and we're always affected :( Great post & review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how in depth this movie review was without spoiling the whole thing! Personally, I don't like this kind of movie because it would make me feel miserable and scared as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YEAH! Mel in Movieland is here! :D Love it!

    As for the I absolutely adore reading / watching disaster books and disaster films because they're so realistic and creepy (although I'd probably be the first to die in those scenarios, but oh well!) This sounds really well done, and while it's a shame it wasn't more memorable for you, it sounds decent nonetheless and I'm definitely going to consider giving it a try.

    And I absolutely love Ashfall, Life as We Knew It and Monument 14. All three are spectacular!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  13. Disaster movies freak me out, especially tornadoes b/c I know they aren't an uncommon occurrence where I live. The trailers for this in the theater looked good, but I'm not sure it's something I want to spend $10 bucks on a ticket for. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been able to watch a tornado movie since I watched Twister as a kid. Freaked me out so bad, and strangely enough I thought it would be a good idea to move to Oklahoma and tornadoes are yearly occurrence and just a part of life now. So while I probably won't be watching this anytime soon, I love that you are doing these movie reviews. Tying in books is genuis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely and fresh!! :D So glad to see this new feature up and running, Mel! :) I've not watched Into The Storm... It sounds okayy though, might check it out after I break my record of watching each Lord Of The Rings movie 20 times (I'm at like 15 now xD) There's another fantastic movie about tornados called Twister! I really enjoyed it, maybe you should check it out? :D
    I've also not really read any of those novels on the list!! :O Oh I'm going to have to write em' down!! :P Another one to add maybe? Torn Away by Jennifer Brown :D
    Lovely review, Mel!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, nothing can beat LOTR <3 I will check it out! *writes Twister down* and I'll take a look at that book as well, thanks Emily!

      Delete
  16. Fabulous feature Mel! I love how you've used movies to suggest books - and starting with an apolcayptic movie? *swoons*. Definitely doing to check out the movie.

    I love the Ashfall series - it's still the only supervolcano apocalypse book I've read, and I think Mike is a wonderful author. I wasn't so fond of Life as We Knew It, but I have never heard of Dark Life, so I need to go and check this out.

    Great review too! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know you would appreciate the apocalyptic start.

      Delete
  17. Richard Armitage is the only reason I would consider watching this. But your review lines up with others I have seen on this movie, so I just don't know that I would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't usually watch natural disaster movies. The gifs itselves are frightening! I'm glad you enjoyed the movie as a whole, but as you said, these types of movies usually look better in a movie theatre. Yeah, these movies usually aren't the best for dialogue and inspiring quotes, but I'm glad it entertained you enough to give it 3 popcorns (adore this icon btw!). I haven't read any of these books, but I plan on reading Magnolia sometime soon-ish (and I love how you've combined the books into this feautre, Mel!). I'd add another book: Torn Away by Jennifer Brown. Haven't read it myself yet, but have heard that it's really moving. Great post, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! Character development and a strong script aren't the things you need to expect in such a movie. Thanks, I'm also happy how the combination turned out. It feels good to combine two of the things I like :)

      Delete
  19. Beautiful post Mel. <3 thank you so much for sharing about this movie :D I had been meaning to see it. As I had seen many people loving it. But then I watched the trailer, and didn't really feel anything at all :p So reading your review kind of make me glad I didn't go see it. I'm happy you didn't hate it, but also glad you didn't fully love it either, hih :) Thank you for sharing your awesome movie review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I don’t think it’s as impressive if you don’t watch it in the cinema" I felt the exact same way when I went to see the new Godzilla. They are just movies almost made for that big screen with the blaring sound, it adds so much to the experience. Godzilla was also more of a visual movie, where not too much weight could be put on the dialogue and stuff. I may see this one if my friend decides to drag me to the movies but otherwise meh. Great movie review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The big screen, loud music, sometimes even having more people around you can add to the experience.

      Delete
  21. I kind of hate Disaster Movies now, I was forced to study them at school, so we had to watch many disaster films, and some of them several times. I haven't actually heard of this one, but I always find myself thinking "ohhh foreshadowing" or something about camera angles and characters being typical. It's a shame really. However loving the link up of movies to books with similar themes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah well, it's too bad this was a great movie, because I'm not a fan of disaster movies either (they make me feel too anxious - I guess it's too close to reality!). The only reason I would watch this is for Richard, so I think I'll just wait for it to come on Netflix. Great review though, I loved that you gave book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are lucky we don't have things like tornadoes over here, so it's not so close to me. Richard is great :D

      Delete
  23. So I don't watch nearly as many movies as I used to so I probably won't ever watch this one (disaster movies aren't my favorites) but I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS FIRST MEL IN MOVIELAND POST! :)

    I have read Torn Away. It wasn't my favorite Jennifer Brown book but I think she is such a talented author and I think it's impossible to not like one of her books. And I plan to read Magnolia! I didn't realize it was a disaster book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0