Tuesday, September 30, 2014 06:00

Monthly recap | September '14. Internship!

recap
I always enjoy watching recaps from other bloggers, so that’s why I’ll be posting my own recaps. This wrap up is also my new ‘Showcase Sunday’ since I don’t have the time to do weekly hauls. Instead, I hope to capture
OUAT1
I FOUND AN INTERNSHIP. I AM SO HAPPY. I start tomorrow and I hope it’s going to be great. I was very nervous when I had my interview, but I found out that they already wanted me and it was more an introduction! I’m going to research the medicinal/anti microbial effects from certain plants extracts. Exiting and scary: I need to write it all in English.

Recap of some other things I did:
-I went to Boekenfestijn (see book haul)
-I joined the gym together with my sister and we had our first work-out. It felt good to do something, because I’ve been very lazy these past three months.
-I had two diners: I went with my boyfriend, parents, sister and her boyfriend to a Greek. The menu was weird, but the food wasn’t so bad. I also went to the Italian with my boyfriend and let me say.. I’m lucky I’m not sick. Very strange place.
-Book club meeting! Our 12th meeting (so our 1 year mark) and I'm so grateful to have these girls around. It's great to fangirl and rant with them!
-I visit my grandparent’s from my mothers side very frequently, but I hardly see them from my father’s side. This month was the first time I saw them in.. 6 months? It was nice.

Read1
117. Laura Ruby - Bone gap. 2/5.
118. Sarah J. Maas - Crown of midnight. 5+/5. [reread]
119. Kasie West - Split second. 4.5/5.
120. Miriam Forster - City of a thousand dolls. 4/5.

121. Kat Zhang - Echoes of us. 3.5/5.
122. A.G Howard - Unhinged. 3/5.
123. Zoƫ Marriott - Daughter of the flames. 4/5.
124. Mindy McGinnis - Not a drop to drink. 4.5/5.

125. Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson: The lightening thief. 3/5.
126. Sarah Maas: Assassin & the princess. 3/5.
127. Mindy McGinnis - In a handful of dust. 4.5/5.
128. Sarah J. Maas - Heir of fire. 5+/5.
129. Rae Carson - The girl of fire and thorns stories. 4.5/5.

130. Lenore Appelhans - Level 2. 3/5.

egsdsdg
-I continued watching Doctor Who season 1 (2005) and while it takes some time to get adjusted to the characters and the storyline, I enjoy it. I’m on episode 7 now. Netflix.
-Arrested Development is now the series I watch with my boyfriend, we are now on episode 20 and it’s quite funny. Netflix.
-I saw The host. It wasn’t very good, but at least it’s better than Twilight and the book, because that one was a DNF for me. Netflix.
-I had a lot of fun watching Tinkerbell & The pirate fairy. This was my favorite instalment so far (Tom Hiddleston sings!) Netflix.
-Sleeping beauty (2011) was WEIRD. It’s one of the strangest movies I’ve seen all year. Netflix.
-The family was surprisingly funny. Not the best movie ever though. Netflix.
-HART OF DIXIE. I’m addicted. I’m now on episode 3 from season 2. Netflix.
-The fault in our stars in the cinema with my sister. We cried a little. I thought it was nicely done, even when the whole Anne Frank scene made me cringe.
-Hope floats and Lovestruck: the musical were two movies I saw with my mother. I liked Lovestruck more than I thought I would. Netflix.
-Monsters University (re-watch) I love how we see their friendship develop. Netflix.
-Our idiot brother. Just a movie when you want to see something funny, but nothing too special. Netflix.
-I saw the first episode from Penny Dreadful and it’s so weird. I’m intrigued. Netflix.
-Anastasia (re-watch) I’m crazy about this movie. The songs <3 Dvd.
-Percy Jackson: The lightening thief. I had to re-watch it for my movie feature.. I hope you appreciate the book vs movie comparison, I hate this movie. Borrowed.-You again and Magic Mike were two movies I saw with my sister. We found out we already saw the first movie, but it’s nice so we finished it. Magic Mike is horrible.. Netflix.
-Silver Linings Playbook. LOVED IT. Crazy chemistry between the main characters. Netflix.
-Once upon a time first episode from season 4. IT'S BACK.
fssgd
TBR pile: 21 / 21. (100%) COMPLETED.
TBR pile challenge 2: 39/32. (122%) COMPLETED.
TBR pile challenge 3: 48/50 (96%)

Review pile: 21 / 21. (100%) COMPLETED.
Review pile challenge 2: 45/45 (100%) COMPLETED.
Review pile challenge 3: 47/50 (94%)

Dystopian: 21/19. (110%) COMPLETED.
Series: 14/12. (117%) COMPLETED.
Fairy tale:  25/16. (156%) COMPLETED.
Bingo card COMPLETED.

So you can see what this means; I completed all my challenges! I also decided to up my Goodreads challenge to 150 books - and this has always been my dream goal.


Book haul
I still need to make a vlog.. Crazy unplanned haul this month, but I'm very happy with all of them.

Boekenfestijn haulI went to a Dutch book event called ‘Boekenfestijn’ together with Debby and Daisy. I snatched these books for a total of 18 euro’s (which is around 23 dollars)
Jean Plaidy – The shadow of the Pomegranate.
Jean Plaidy – The sixth wife.
Joseph Jacobs – Irish fairy tales. This one has a very cute cover: Instagram picture.
Tonya Hurley – The blessed.
Katherine Longshore – Gilt. Daisy found this copy for me, yeay.
L. Frank Baum – The complete stories of Oz.

TBD haul & Quirk books

I received a copy from Miss Peregrine’s home for peculiar children from Quirk books, thanks!

I also ordered three books from TBD:
Rae Carson – The girl of fire and thorns stories.
Rae Carson – The bitter kingdom. They finally had the right edition for my collection.
Sarah J. Maas – Heir of fire. The back is gorgeous: Instagram picture.


HarperCollins review copies
I also got a package from HarperCollins international. Thanks!

Mindy McGinnis – In a handful of dust. Review: Not a drop to drink + In a handful of dust.
Kimberly Little – Forbidden.
Sherry Thomas – The perilous sea.
Miriam Forster – Empire of shadows. (Currently reading, it’s good)

And I got a book from Netgalley:
Michelle Diener - The silver pear.

That's another wrap-up for me. Tell me all about your month! What did you do? What did you read? What did you watch?

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

45 comments:

  1. I always love your recaps, Mel! Congratulations on your internship! I hope you enjoy your time there :D

    Hart of Dixie is good isn't it. I was completely hooked and just marathoned it. Zoe is a tad fickle, but I've got to ask--who's your favourite? You're so close to your goal! 20 off before the big celebration--Yay! I hope October treats you well and have a happy time reading (because all those books look so good!) <--Omg, I do realise that I just made it sound like you were going to eat them haha!

    Jess @ My Reading Dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! Zoe is sometimes a bit difficult, but I sure like her. I think Wade is my favorite character :D

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting the internship! Sounds great!
    Penny dreadful is one of my fav shows. I need to write a post about how ever book lover and gothic lit lover should see it. I was iffy bout the first two episodes too, but stick with it bc it really gets good. Ever since I recently read DORIAN gray I feel like I get even more nuances from the show. I love that they stay true to all the classics. :)
    -Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Congrats on getting an internship! That's so awesome that they already wanted you! And it just sounds like it's going to be fantastic.
    And you read Heir of Fire!! Wasn't it just amazing? I can't wait for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Split Second! I think I'm going to have to move Not a Drop to Drink up my TBR list.
    Was the Sleeping Beauty you watched the one with Emily Browning? If I was, I totally agree! Such a weird film. I think I sobbed from about half way through TFiOS right to the end. I love Monsters University too! I always re-watch it when it's on TV :)
    Anastasia is one the the best movies ever. I love the songs too! YAY FOR OUAT BEING BACK! :D
    Only 20 books to go to reach your dream goal! You'll do it no problem :)
    Oooh, lots of great new books! I really need to get onto Carson's series. Forbidden sounds like it's going to be good! I hope you have more luck with Miss Peregrines than I did!
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha :D HEIR OF FIRE, SO GOOD. I still haven't written my review, because I can't think of anything to say. My mind just goes into fangirl mode. And yes, that's the movie with Emily.

      Delete
  4. I see that it has been a busy week for you, Mel! Congrats on getting internship! :) It's especially awesome since you finally get what you want. Your future article seems to be especially helpful as well. I hope that they can use your research in America soon. :)

    Wow, so many books you've read! I wish I could read half as fast as you haha. You really should share the tips and secret someday! ;) I love Monsters University - so cute. <3 Let me know what you think of Blessed! The book is very strange for me, but I hope you'll enjoy it more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a start. My research would prove the beginning of a possibility, but who knows what will happen once it's published :D

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the internship! That's AMAZING news. I had such a great time and all my internships, so I hope you do too! Learn lots :D

    PS - you'll love Doctor Who more once David Tennant gets on the scene! He was MAGIC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've heard, I can't wait to meet this guy!

      Delete
  6. You had a pretty good month Mel, congrats on the internship! It looks like you've got a great headstart to your career! I'll be rooting for you!

    And congrats on all of your challenges! I'm so behind on my GoodReads challenge...like fifty books behind! Haha, hopefully I can do it though!

    Amber Elise @Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the internship! I'm sure you'll do great :D

    I liked Doctor Who's first season, and then the fifth when Matt Smith was the Doctor. David Tennant wasn't my favorite actually, but I'm a black sheep on that aspect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the internship and on completing your reading challenge!

    I'm extremely jealous of people who've seen Tinker Bell and the Pirate Fairy because it isn't on UK Netflix :( And I still haven't seen Monsters University, I really need to get around to that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie your month of September sounds absolutely delightful! I'm glad that you were able to read a few five star reads, (I must get to Heir of Fire this month!) and watch some great shows too. And congratulations on your internship, it sounds like it'll be a lot of hard work, but fun too! I wish you all the best for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finding that internship, and good luck! :) September sure has been a busy month for you, both reading and RL-wise. I can't believe that you've completed all of your reading challenges months before the end of the year. That takes mad skillz!!! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the internship!
    You have some awesome titles read this month, great job!
    I like Arrested Development and Penny Dreadful too... great shows!!
    Almost done all your challenges, well done!
    Happy October reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow Mel, congrats on your intership! That's amazing :D I'll send positive vibes your way for tomorrow! And good luck with the gym too, I've never been good at sticking to a workout schedule like that >.<

    Anyways, I got the MOST excited because you're watching Doctor Who :D I agree, it takes a while to get used to it but things only get better from there. You're in for so much fun and feels, I'm excited for you LOL. I'll be watching out for more updates there! And HOLY GORGEOUS HAUL!!! Heir of Fire ♥, The Fire and Thorn Books, Empire of Shadows, Perilous Sea and In a Handful of Dust! Good luck picking which ones to read first haha You had a great September, here's to an even better Octobber - and happy reading!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh so many books and I love the spine of Empire of Shadows! I didn't read a lot of books this month but hopefully I'll read a lot during October. College has been a pain in the behind lately and I just want this semester to be DONE. Also, wow, congratulations on your internship! Oh man, I really suck at science so I'm always in awe when someone majors in the medical field or anything science related. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh the Perilous Sea! That reminds me, I need to make time to read that soon. Everyone seemed to love that sequel so I'm excited to start reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY for internship :D Best of luck Mel. <3 And yay. It sounds like you had an amazing month :) And so many amazing books. <3 I hope October will be just as amazing for you sweetie :) Happy reading. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you've had a great reading month! I barely read 2 books and even those were a bit of a strain despite liking one a lot. :X
    I hope you stay with Doctor Who and Arrested, love both! And omg Dixie!!! I love that show so much, soooo good :D \o/

    ReplyDelete
  17. great monthly wrap up! your research seems SO interesting! what's your background, if you don't mind me asking?

    anyways, lots of things done this month! kinda sad you DNF-ed The Host :( The movie is so crappy compared to the book.

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out with Higher Laboratory Research and then I specialized in microbiology with a minor in Infection diseases :)

      Delete
  18. Congrats on getting your internship! Seems like September has been a busy month for you - you have gotten a lot of things done. Doctor Who is so amazing, and gets much better. I've stopped watching it, but miss it very much. Also, look at all those books! xD

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW MEL! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE INTERNSHIP! What an accomplishment! You must be so happy! :D So glad you found something for you. :)

    And yes! Wasn't Heir of Fire just devastating?! *cries* It's going to be torture waiting for Book 4 to be released!

    Thanks for sharing Mel and, as always, fabulous recap! <3 HAPPY OCTOBER! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATS! I hope to never need a catheter in the future, but if I do, I hope it's plant-extract clean because of your research, haha.

    Also, Arrested Development!! The chicken dance scene. Have you gotten there yet? Ah, dying of laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your recaps are awesome. ^-^ They totally are! Eeeep, I'm so glad you like Crown of Midnight and ZOMG YOU HAVE HEIR OF FIRE AND LOVED IT AND THIS MAKES ME HAPPY. I'm still emotionally gutted by that book, heh, but I'm slowly recovering now.
    Agreed about Percy Jackson movie.
    I just watched TFIOS for the first time too, last month, and ohhh, it was brilliant. I didn't cry, but I definitely teared up. XD
    Also CONGRATS FOR THE INTERNSHIP!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the internship, it sounds like a really interesting field that you are in! I hope you enjoy! I'm so glad you ended up enjoying and having so many feels in TFIOS movie, it's definitely worth seeing in the cinema.

    The Percy Jackson movie was actually what got me into the book to begin with, so I'm glad it did that in the least! I didn't think it was too bad when I watched it.

    Looks like you got some really fantastic books, including the Perilous Sea and Handful of Dust! I hope you enjoy your month ahead Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. AH CONGRATS ON THE INTERNSHIP! So very happy for you :)

    Yes, the PJ movie is so crap, I cry thinking about it every time. Well not really cry, but still, makes me so sad because the movie could have been so fabulous. I really want to start watching Doctor Who, but gee...so many seasons!

    Fabulous recap, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay another one of your monthly recaps <33 They really are my favorite [; haha shhh.

    CONGRATS ON THE INTERNSHIP! I saw your photo on instagram and it really is so exciting. I hope your first day went well. If your article does end up being published, I'll so read it. Hahahah, I won't understand what it's going on about in the least but I shall still read it [;

    Arrested Development is hilarious. Totally a good tv show to watch with the boyfriend, good bonding through laughter lol. Hart of Dixie is so good <33 It's a guilty pleasure show haha. The things that happen in the episodes get more crazy and unreal as the show gets on but I still love it. Wade and Zoe. That's all I'm saying [; Ughhhh the Percy Jackson film drives me insane. The book was just really well done and I feel like they totally made the book seem totally unappealing. The movie and the book totally differs and in this case this is a very bad thing.

    Congrats on meeting your reading goal! Omg I'm so behind, I'm scared to even look lol. It's odd, I've always been ahead of my goal but this year I'm most definitely behind.

    Can't wait to see more from this blog and hopefully I can comment more frequently, I miss talking to you.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know and it's so fun to write them <3

      YEAY, haha. I will let you know about the article! I don't think they will include my name, but at least I know I supported them with my results.

      I can't believe I've never watched Arrested development before. It's so fun.

      Delete
  25. oooh! I joined a gym! Haven't gone yet but I'm looking forward to it! Looks like you had a great reading month and loved a few of the books you read (: That's great. The Silver Linings Playbook was SUCH A GOOD MOVIE I NEED TO WATCH IT AGAIN. And TFiOS. Oh, man. I think I wanted to cry the most when she was crying. OUAT!!!!! Elsa. Oh god. I'm so pumped for this. I don't think I've been this pumped since Peter Pan... You had a great month!! I hope you have a great October as well :)

    Tori @ Bookish Affairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *HIGH FIVE* We will be sportive in no time, haha. I hope you have a great October too :)

      Delete
  26. I NEED THE UK EDITIONS OF THE THRONE OF GLASS SERIES LIKE I NEED AIR. I REALLY like the US editions but I think the foreign editions are gorgeous! The art is a little different, and the colors are much prettier. The only thing I love about the US editions is they come in hardcover, and I love having hardcover editions of my favorite series. :P

    I finally made it to season 3 of OUAT! I'm so excited Mel oh my gosh. I'm sad I'm going to be behind on season 4 but hopefully I'll catch up in time to watch the season finale on TV. :P

    I love this recap! So much stuff going on. ;D The bookfest sounds really cool, too. I wish we had them where I live, but they're rare and when they happen there usually aren't authors I absolutely love going. I have one coming up in 2 weekends and I'm hoping it's totally worth attending.

    AND CONGRATS ON THE INTERNSHIP :D I really hope you have a wonderful time and learn lots of new things. That's awesome your articles are going to be published! I definitely hope you tell us more about the internship and how it's going because I'm very interested to hear what you'll be doing. c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about getting the hardcovers from TOG too. I have so much love for that series and those editions are gorgeous too.

      Yeeeeeees, OUAT. The third season wasn't as good as the other two, but 4 is already amazing!

      THANKS. I will post some more information in my next recap about the internship!

      Delete
  27. YESS MEL! Hart of Dixie... I love it :) I feel like no one watches it. I actually love to blog and visit blogs while I watch it. Every time it comes on my husband (haha funny to type) leave the room. He hates it haha!
    Also nice stack of new books :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the internship! :D That's amazing! Best of luck!

    Also WOW 130 books! :O

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a little jealous you get such great book hauls from pubs - but then you definitely do have a great site and specialize in YA whereas I don't so I can't lament too much lol.

    I reealllly need to get around to reading those Throne of Glass books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0