Monday, September 01, 2014 10:30

Review 284. Kiersten White – Illusions of fate.

19367070Title: Illusions of fate.
Author: Kiersten White.
Pages: 288.
Published: September 9th 2014 by HarperTeen.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Edelweiss & Publisher.
Jessamin has been an outcast since she moved from her island home of Melei to the dreary country of Albion. Everything changes when she meets Finn, a gorgeous, enigmatic young lord who introduces her to the secret world of Albion’s nobility, a world that has everything Jessamin doesn’t—power, money, status…and magic. But Finn has secrets of his own, dangerous secrets that the vicious Lord Downpike will do anything to possess. Unless Jessamin, armed only with her wits and her determination, can stop him.

Rating:

“I did my best to keep you from crossing paths with this world. And I shall do my best to protect you now that you have.”

This was exactly the kind of book I expected from Kiersten. It’s funny and quick, but I was a bit let down by the fact that it’s not a memorable story. This is not the type of book I would reread and I wish it had been more than only entertaining.

Jessamin ran away from her country Melei to Albion to get under a marriage her mother so desperately wants to arrange. She is now living and working in the same hotel as her cousin in order to live there. She has a hard time adapting to the country and the students don’t make it any easier. To them, she is one of those filthy island rats that don’t belong there. It all changes when she meets Finn, a mysterious Lord who gives her mixed signals. Jessamin is not aware of the danger she is in and it’s too late for Finn to turn his back on her.

I liked spunky Jessamin. She doesn’t let anyone tell her what she can and can’t do, which gives some great banter with Finn. He wants to protect her, but Jessamin isn’t ready to listen to him. She can take care of herself, until she is kidnapped by the scary Lord Downpike. From that moment her relationship with Finn changes and she finally realizes the trouble she’s in. No matter what happens, she keeps being stubborn and snarky, but she is also intelligent enough to make clever choices.

Finn was a solid character, but I didn’t feel connected to him. Perhaps because he doesn’t share much information about himself and he stays on the background in the story. I liked the humorous tone from his voice and I thought it was great he is the one to share his feelings first. Jessamin isn’t even looking at Finn that way when he tells her they might be meant for each other.

The plot is like Finn. It’s good, but nothing too special. We have the evil Lord Downpike who believes Finn has something that will change their world. He wants to set off the balance to create another war with Iverian and Finn does everything to prevent that. This means he uses basic magic, which was fun, but unexplored. I wish we would have seen more of his power and abilities. The problems are quickly resolved and I like that it’s Jessamin who saves the day. The story neatly wraps-up.

I liked it, but I didn’t love it. A perfect example of a 3-star book.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

29 comments:

  1. I'm so torn on whether to read this or not. I'm happy to see it's funny and quick, I'm just not sure these characters and I will get along. :-/ I'm glad to see despite the issues you had with it, you still overall enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say, if you want something quick to read in one sitting, this is the perfect book for it.

      Delete
  2. I liked this book (gave it 3.5/4 I think) but I called it more of a paranormal fluff read than anything serious! It's a fun read, but nothing I'd immediately recommend lol. So I pretty much agree with all of these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paranormal fluff, exactly! That's the perfect description.

      Delete
  3. I am ok with an occasional 3 star that gives you enough to keep reading. Those are perfect for road trips or times you aren't paying 100% attention
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished this one yesterday and I agree with you about pretty much everything you mentioned. Finn, while I liked him, wasn't my favorite and I felt like the plot got a bit boring at times. The ending did surprise me, though! Great review, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish the author had further explored the magical aspects of this story, and Fiin just seems kind of meh. Not a bad character per say, but it's important that readers be able to connect with him. I don't really need another 3-star read on my TBR pile, so I am going to have to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiersten White seems to be a bit of an acquired taste for me. Paranormalcy was okay, but nothing to write home about. At least this one kept you entertained!

    You have a beautiful blog! Followed!

    http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be completely honest, I'm a bit hesitant on this one Mel. I read Kiersten White's Mind Games a little while back and...wasn't the biggest fan of it, so I'm not quite sure how I'd do with this one. I have an ARC of it, but I keep putting it off out of hesitation.

    It's always a shame when a book is good, but there's nothing really extraordinary about it, you know? I'm glad it was still entertaining at the very least though, despite the mediocrity.

    Thanks for sharing and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <33

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Mind Games yet, but from what I can tell her writing-style and type of story is always a bit similar.. so I'm not sure if you would like this!

      Delete
  8. Aw, I've been mixed on if I wanted to read this one or not. I've not been a fan of a lot of White's books so I didn't request it. I've seen some high reviews then mostly middling ones. I might end up skipping this one due to time constraints. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack. I'm sorry you didn't love this one sweetie. <3 But I'm glad you still enjoyed it :) But ack. You didn't like Finn? That is depressing. I might be getting this one from HarperCollins International. <3 so I'm hoping I will like it more, hih. But I may not. Sigh. Anyway. Amazing review Mel. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like him, based on the fact we have such different thoughts about guys in books, haha.

      Delete
  10. Nice review! I was sensing mixed feelings about this book. Pretty much have been seeing that of a lot of her books lately. It does sound like an interesting read, and I did enjoy her Paranormalcy trilogy a lot. Maybe I will try this one day when my library gets it.

    Good honest review! Jessamin does sound like a good heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book has a very similar feeling to her Paranormalcy books! :)

      Delete
  11. It's kinda weird that White has a consistent record of writing rather not-that special books. It's like, the consensus of her past three books have been 3 at least... I rarely saw a 4 or a 5 from the people I trust. I'm not sure I want to read this one to be honest! I'm looking at the blurb and I don't feel any "urge" to read it. Nice review, though~ ^_^

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend this one if you look for something easy and quick!

      Delete
  12. I really liked Kiersten White's first series, the Paranormalcy one because it was just so light hearted and humourous, but a lot of her more recent releases such as Chaos of the Stars have been misses. It's a shame, it seems like she needs to adapt when it comes to different books and genres. Great review though, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read anything by Kiersten White before. I do love fantasy so I think I will keep this in mind for when I'm in the mood for a fully and fun one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The occasional 3-star book is ok, especially if it's an easy read that's fun enough to keep you reading! At first I wasn't sure about this one but the reviews so far have been (mostly) positive so I'm excited to get into it soon but I do wish you would have LOVED it more :) Thanks for the thoughtful, honest review Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm actually feeling pretty happy about the fact I decided to skip this one. It sounds like an okay read, but nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh oh! Early reviews were so positive, but lately I've been reading reviews more along the lines of this. I've already pre-ordered the book, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. Usually if I don't think I'll ever re-read a book, it won't get more than three stars from me; fingers crossed there are at least certain scenes I would want to revisit.

    Thanks for your review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's enjoyable and the cover is pretty, so that counts for something :D

      Delete
  17. I haven't read anything by Kiersten yet,but I really want to.
    The cover is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading your review, I think I might want to read this book actually. I just went to goodreads and read the 2 chapter sample and enjoyed it! I think I'll be picking up this book in the future =) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt the same way about this one, I liked it but it's nothing special. I just wrote my review earlier this evening and as I was writing I thought the exact same thing: it's a perfect example of a 3 star book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god! This book is a definite must read. Kiersten's writing makes you feel like you're living the story. It was captivating, inspiring and it keeps you on your toes, full of twists and turns. Though it's not a thick book, I felt the character development was not rushed at all. It is without a doubt a great read! Get the book, you will not be disappointed.

    Hyacinth
    Have you viewed San Antonio Movers website

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0