Review 285. Amy Zhang – Falling into place.

18163646Title: Falling into place.
Author: Amy Zhang.
Pages: 304.
Published: September 9th 2014 by Greenwillow books.
Sort: Stand-alone, contemporary.
On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect?

Rating:

I’m still a little confused by this book. The writing-style was good, but I disliked the main character Liz. She attempts to kill herself and she is close to dying, but the medics manage to keep her alive. The only thing that will bring her back is her own spirit; her own will to survive. It’s the question if Liz is strong enough to come back.

Slowly we unravel Liz story and why she decided to take such a big decision. Her mother is always on the road for her job, her father passed away  and Liz is very unhappy with herself. Addicted to booze, she likes to go from party to party in the hope to forget everything around her. She is popular because of her snarky comments, her harsh behavior and overall meanness to others; Liz is a bully, but she regrets it. She is stuck in her role and that is when her plan begins to shape.


tumblr_lvqj40G78w1r31ngfo1_500

Liz.. what can I say. I felt sorry for her, but at the same time it was so hard to understand her. I have low tolerance for bullies and it didn’t feel to me like she had no other choice. I think she was too broken to change herself, but there were times I wanted to slap her for the hurtful things she did. It was sometimes difficult for me to continue and she is not a likable person. Honestly, most of the times she is just a big jerk, but I wanted to see her change. I was willing to give her a second shot, because it’s obvious from her suicide that she was very unhappy.

Once, Liz found comfort in me. Once, she found it in holding my hand and dreaming until our dreams came true. Once, she found it in simply being alive. Eventually, she could no longer find comfort in anything. By the end, she was just another girl stuffed full of forgotten dreams, until she crashed her car and she wasn’t even that.

The writing-style is the main aspect that made me finish this book. There was something gripping about it and I read this book in one sitting. I don’t think I would have picked it up if I had put it down, but it’s good I finished it, because I was pleased with the ending. I also liked the narrator of this book. It’s not hard to guess who is telling the story, but it was nicely done and very effective.
I didn’t enjoy the story that much, I tolerated it.. But based on a lot of ratings on Goodreads, this is ac case of 'it's me, not you.'

33 comments

  1. I loved this book but like I said in my review, it's not for everybody so I do understand you not liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this definitely comes to personal taste.

      Delete
  2. I've heard a few good things about this book, so I will probably give it a chance. I think this will be one of those books you either like or don't. However I am pleased to hear you manage to like the ending and writing style! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From all the snippets I've seen the writing is GORGEOUS but there have been soooo many mixed reviews so I am NERVOUS. Too bad you didn't like it that much D: Hopefully I'll like it moreeeeeeee :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a chance :) You might love it!

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I guess I'll have to read it myself to see what kind of person Liz is. She sounds like many contradictions.

    Thanks for the honest review Mel!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen mixed reviews of this one - and it generally comes down to whether or not the reviewer could handle the main character. Sounds like she wasn't for you. Not so sure if I would like her either.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. A lot seem to connect with her and that would have made the book so much better :)

      Delete
  6. I've seen people love and hate this but nonetheless, I'm intrigued. But I won't lie, I'm a little apprehensive at the same time. Protagonists' like Liz don't tend to pull me in.

    Great and honest review Mel!

    Jess @ MyReadingDress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this one wasn't good for you, Mel. Gosh, I've seen so many mixed reviews from absolutely love to absolute hate! It makes me think that this is just one of those stories that speaks different ways to different people. I haven't read it, I likely won't because it just doesn't sound like my thing, but it's really interesting seeing all the different reactions to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very interesting to compare my thoughts to others.

      Delete
  8. I think the writing was awfully nice and I did like reading it...but I didn't get on with Liz. I just felt zero compassion towards her, you know? I'm sad. I should've felt more for her! I thought the love interest was totally unexplored and therefore a bit weird. (I'm always miffed why people fall in love with the meanest people possible in books!) But yes. I DID like it, but I hoped for a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! There was nothing that made me truly feel.. sorry for her? I don't know, I didn't connect.

      Delete
  9. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like it very much! It was one of my favourites of the year. I loved the writing style and it was written in such a way that for some reason I didn't really mind Liz' behaviour. I can definitely understand why you'd struggle with her, though!

    Lovely review, Mel <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand the appeal of this book. It's a shame, I think I would have loved it more if I connected with Liz.

      Delete
  10. This book sounds interesting. I love tough characters with a vulnerable interior.
    Still, I can understand why you couldn't connect to the main character. It's hard to relate to bullies.
    Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant review, although I am sorry this one didn't work for you. I have this and now I am a little nervous to start it. I am going to be lowering my expectations quite a bit, maybe then it won't disappoint so much. I worry I won't like or connect to the main character either, I'm not a fan of bullies as main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's just a little.. too sensitive for me to be in the head of a bully. I can't wait to see what you think though :)

      Delete
  12. Oh god I really want to read this book but i'm also completely scared too. I get that this is an either "love it" or "meh it" book. Everyone either really loves and cried or thinks it was just okay, and I NEED AN EMOTIONAL BOOKS RIGHT NOW, OKAY? So I don't know if this one is it for me but I really want it too be! i'm sorry you just coudln't like Liz. I get it, If i can't like my main characters I dislike the story so i don't blame you. Here's to hoping you end up enjoying your next read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book has all the potential to be emotional! As long as you like Liz.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful review, Mel. I can definitely understand why this didn't work for you. I enjoyed the book at lot more than I thought I would, but Liz was definitely a character that I didn't like and didn't connect to, which made me rate the book lower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard mixed things about this book but I have been wanting it ever since I heard about it so I NEED IT STILL. No review I read sways that thought which is good xD. I want to see for myself what this is all about. Awesome review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmph. Amazing review Mel. <3 I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one :\ Sigh. I decided not to read it, lol. I had the eARC, but yeah. I won't be able to read this book at all. Have heard awful things. And main characters sounds AWFUL. Not for me, hah. But I'm glad you liked the writing :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, you're not missing out on too much, so great choice!

      Delete
  16. Like you, I thought the writing style was incredible beautiful and definitely kept the pages turning. I totally agree with the protagonist being unlikable though, i mean wow! Some of the things she did were absolutely horrible, and there wasn't enough development with her character in the end. Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't understand some of the things she did..

      Delete
  17. I haven't read this and I don't know if I will. I've heard very mixed reviews. While I like the idea of the narrator, I don't know if I would enjoy the overall premise. I'll probably try this at some point in the future but it's not top priority on my TBR list.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your feelings pretty much mirror my own - I feel conflicted. I thought this was a well-written and moving story but I hated Liz and found it hard to sympathize with her. I felt like she COULD had changed and done better and I really wanted her to so her half-ass attempts to do good and save herself almost frustrated me more than if she hadn't tried at all. But my heart did go out to her because she was obviously broken. This is a tough one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review. I actually really enjoyed this, but I think that had more to do with HOW it was written, rather than the story itself. I did really enjoy it, but I did struggle with Liz the longer the book went on. I started to feel less and less sympathy for her. It was an interesting book though, I will definitely be interested to see what the author writes next.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was a wonderful, unique book with a wonderfully subversive feel to it. It feels very mature for YA, so I would probably recommend it for an older YA audience.

    Mariz
    onestopbuy.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. A necessary read for all teens and adults, and although it's emotional and thought provoking, it's humorous and entertaining and a book that won't stay unopened on a bookshelf for long.

    Cath Brookes
    Must see Hungry Generation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.