Review 287. Kat Zhang – Echoes of us.

17352960Title: Echoes of us.
Author: Kat Zhang.
Pages: 638.
Expected publication: September 16th 2014 by HarperCollins.
Sort: (Conclusion) Hybrid Chronicles #3.
Review #1. What’s left of me.
Review #2. Once we were.
Source: ARC from HarperCollins international.
To change the world, I may lose everything
All Eva ever wanted was the chance to be herself. But in the Americas, to be hybrid—to share your body with a second soul—is not tolerated past childhood. Now Eva and Addie, her sister soul, are constantly on the move, hiding from the officials who seek to capture them. But the tide is changing. A revolution is brewing, and people are starting to question the hybrids' mistreatment. Then Marion, an ambitious reporter, offers Eva and Addie a daring proposal: If they go undercover and film the wretched conditions of a hybrid institution, she will not only rescue them, she'll find a way to free Jackson, the boy Addie loves. It's risky, and Eva will have to leave Ryan and her friends behind, but if she succeeds, it could also tip the scales forever and lead to hybrid freedom. As Eva and Addie walk into danger, they cling to each other and the hope of a better future. But the price they might pay is higher than they ever could have imagined.

Rating:


A good conclusion to a solid Dystopian series. It’s not the most memorable story ever, but if you want an interesting story that delivers constant quality, you might want to give this series a shot. There are no hard spoilers for any of the books.


Addie/Eve are still on the run and they can’t refuse the proposal from Marion, a supporter who claims she wants to help hybrids, but is mainly looking for a good story for her career. She knows a way to free Jackson, the boy Addie fancies, and she will help them if they provide her with inside information. Addie/Eve are locked away in another institute with a hidden camera. This is only the beginning from a lot of trouble.

I like that Eve takes a more prominent role in this story. In the first two books Addie is, most of the times, in control but she is more on the background. I still like Eve the best, so I was happy with this switch. The thing about the two girls is that they both are rash and they don’t seem to value their life much. They take dangerous decisions and there were some times where they throw themselves into situations with no happy ending – and they should know that. I found them a bit too naive and it made me want to smack both of them.

Despite those flaws, they were good characters. I could see they were willing to sacrifice a lot for their friends and that is an admirable trait. Their relationship is still fascinating, but I also liked their interactions with other characters like Jackson and Ryan. I felt less chemistry between them all than in the previous books, but that’s mostly because a lot of drama is going on.

They are constantly on the run and trying to stay under the radar, especially because Jenson is looking for them. When Addie/Eve are put in the institute we truly get to see the horrible things they do to hybrids. They are kept in prison under bad conditions, waiting until they go crazy and then they are taken away; nobody knows that happens after that. It was a disgusting situation and it’s a good thing someone was trying to broadcast it.

The ending wraps everything up nicely, but doesn’t make it too happily-ever-after. It was fitting for the story and I was satisfied how everything is solved. When it comes to Dystopian series, this is one that doesn't provide something unique, but it manages to deliver a solid story with a good conclusion and sometimes that's more than enough for me.

18 comments

  1. I didn't really hit off with the first book so I haven't attempted the other two yet. :| I would like to know what happens in the end though, and I definitely love my dystopians! I think it always had such an interesting concept with the two people in one. Sooo...who knows?! I might still get to these. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could DM you on Twitter if you want to know how it all ends?

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet, but I've heard quite a lot of wonderful reviews about them, so I am glad this is a solid end to the trilogy. I like that it's not quite a happily ever after ending, but not depressingly sad either. It's a delicate balance, and I it sounds like Kat Zhang finds that medium well. :)

    Thanks for sharing Mel, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! You've definitely motivated me to give this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did! And sometimes it's hard to find such an ending, so I'm happy.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear the ending is pretty solid, since I've read the first two books and will hopefully get this one soon! Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and liked the first book, and got a copy of the second, but just haven't gotten around to continuing this series. I'm glad to hear it ends pretty satisfactorily, though, because that gives me more reason to finish soon! :) Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just read the first one, but I do have an ARC of the second one that I won, and I'm glad to hear that the book ends nicely! I should definitely get around to reading it, shouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Mel. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book and that you liked this series :D I don't think I will ever read them, though :p just seems a bit boring for me, hih :) but I do like the covers. <3 thank you for sharing sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't the most.. exiting series, yes. Not boring, but also not filled with action.

      Delete
  7. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the end of this, I still have not started the series and probably will not be for some time if I do get around to it. But great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed the conclusion to this series! I haven't really finished the first book... for some reason, I just couldn't get into it at all, but I may reconsider in the future. There was just something about the concept that didn't click with me... and I guess I was disturbed when the family was willing to forget one of the two souls right away. Haha. But as always, a good conclusion is a good reason to start and finish a series for me!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess because they are used to the fact it's 'normal' that one of the souls disappears. I find it such a fascinating topic.

      Delete
  9. I read the first book for a book club I'm part of, but unfortunately I felt no desire to read on. I don't even remember why. Maybe I had a hard time differentiating between Addie and Eve? I do remember their rash movements that were at times a bit extreme and possibly fatal.

    Still, I wanted to read your review to see if maybe I would regret my decision not to read on. I don't think I do. Not that it doesn't sound like a enjoyable conclusion to a series or anything like that. It's just one of those things when you have so many books to read, you want each book to blow you away and provide something new and exciting, and I don't feel like this book will deliver that for me.

    Great review though, and thanks for helping me out :) I'm glad you enjoyed it overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the first book didn't grab you, it's definitely a good idea to not-continue this series :)

      Delete
  10. I am kind of upset to hear that they land in yet another institution. I was expecting something more from this last book but I guess that was me being naive. I have a feeling my patience is going to wear thing when I read this but I do want to see how the series ends so I will eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been debating whether or not to read this one and after seeing your thoughts and rating, I might finish this series after all Mel. I'm glad you enjoyed this one and I'm happy to hear that the ending isn't too happily ever after. I just can't stand unrealistic endings like that. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also glad she managed to find the perfect balance for the ending!

      Delete
  12. I loved the book. The way it all fit together, the way everything turned out perfect. I maybe wish there wasn't as much catch and release or at least make it last a little longer because you can only be so lucky. But overly it was amazing and I want to read much much more!

    Look at this Finex Iron Cookware

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.