Monday, October 06, 2014 20:54

Review 291. Cat Winters - The cure for dreaming.


Title: The cure for dreaming.
Author: Cat Winters.
Pages: 368.
Expected publication: October 14th 2014 by Amulet Books
Sort: Stand-alone.
Cat Winters – In the shadow of blackbirds.
Source: ARC copy from the publisher, thanks!
Olivia Mead is a headstrong, independent girl—a suffragist—in an age that prefers its girls to be docile. It’s 1900 in Oregon, and Olivia’s father, concerned that she’s headed for trouble, convinces a stage mesmerist to try to hypnotize the rebellion out of her. But the hypnotist, an intriguing young man named Henri Reverie, gives her a terrible gift instead: she’s able to see people’s true natures, manifesting as visions of darkness and goodness, while also unable to speak her true thoughts out loud. These supernatural challenges only make Olivia more determined to speak her mind, and so she’s drawn into a dangerous relationship with the hypnotist and his mysterious motives, all while secretly fighting for the rights of women.
Rating:

I had high expectations for The cure for dreaming, because I fell in love with In the shadow of blackbirds. I love how her work is combined with pictures to make the atmosphere complete. The art and photographs match with the story. There is something haunting about the things she writes and Cat has found the perfect way to create an interesting setting.


Olivia is everything you could ask for in a character. She is stubborn, headstrong en she won’t be silenced or dominated by males. She is part of the suffragist movement and she will do everything to ensure she – and every other woman – can vote in the future. This is unacceptable for her father, who wants her to be docile, obedient and most of all silent like a ‘good woman’. There is no place for women in society; they should take care of the household and children.

Olivia crosses the line when her father finds out she was part of a demonstration. He is afraid she is going to destroy his name and his career as a dentist. That is how Henri Reverie comes into her life. He is a hypnotist and Olivia’s father wants him to alter her personality. She must sees the world, women and men for what they are. She can’t speak her dangerous thoughts and instead, she will say ‘all is well’ Her father has no idea that with his decision, Olivia becomes even more hell bent on finding her voice and getting her rights.

It was frustrating to see how belittling everyone is when it comes to women – and it’s sad to realize that it’s still that way sometimes. Women aren’t equal to men and it’s great that Olivia fights against this idea. I love it when characters are strong and confident like her. Even with her mind hypnotized, Olivia isn’t going to back down. It was interesting to see how her father’s decision backfires.

Besides Olivia, I also really liked Henri. The more you find out about him and his motives, the more you sympathize with him. He was a bit mysterious in the beginning, but it was easy to warm up for him. It was clear he saw Olivia as his equal and their unusual friendship that slowly grows into more was heart-warming. It made the ending a little bittersweet, but also fitting for the story. I must admit that it took 0,5 of the rating, but that is very personal and I know a lot of people will like how it ends.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. Great review! This is one I've been keeping my eye out for since July! I'm so happy that it's finally close to being released! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I'm new to this author so I'll have to pick up In the Shadow of Blackbirds. :)

    Patty @ Bookish Wanderlove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! ITSOB is more on the paranormal side and it was amazing.

      Delete
  2. I've always been curious about this because of the art component which is so rare! I'm glad that this one is a winner though. I may just have to pick up the first book and binge it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review Mel, I've been reading mixed reviews about this one, but yours definitely sways me toward the positive side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEKS I'M SO JEALOUS! I've been dyingggg for this book and I'm so excited it was a good one! :DDD In the Blackbirds was GORGEOUS wasn't it? GAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and this one is just as good in it's own way!

      Delete
  5. I loved In the Shadow of Blackbirds too and am so excited about this one's release. I love the sound of Olivia and the slow romance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I MUST HAVE THIS BOOK. Olivia reminds me a LOT of Sybil from Downton Abbey (have you watched it? Pleeeease tell me you've watched it!) because of her headstrong and stubborn behavior, and her belief that women ARE equal to men, and her involvement in the suffragist movement.

    It's still so upsetting to me to read about how women were treated long, long ago, and how a lot of things haven't changed, despite the illusion that they have. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noo, I haven't, but I'm planning to watch it soon (it's on Netflix :D)

      Delete
  7. Artwork is a fun bonus in fiction, and I'm really diggin' the cover, so I have high hopes for this book. Olivia & Henry sound like characters I would enjoy, but the belittling women angle might bug me a bit even though the heroine does stick up for herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but she handled it in a good way by making Olivia so headstrong.

      Delete
  8. YAY! I've seen nothing but great things for this and I'm just SO EXCITED to read it! I adored In the Shadow of Blackbirds as well, so there are definite high expectations for this. :) I'm so glad Olivia is headstrong, even when things are against her. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked that one, you will love this one for sure too :D

      Delete
  9. Oh, I like the art component. Sounds like a little added bonus! Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be checking it out too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bittersweet ending for the romance? Oh dear. This has me worried! You know I liked my HEAs. :( BUT. This book sounds so wonderful. I can't wait to meet these characters. Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sort of happy! I can't explain it without spoilers, so you have to see for yourself ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh, I've been seeing more glowing reviews of this book lately. I'm glad that this book touches on the subject of feminism - we need more books like that! Like you said, Mel, it's sad that women are belittled in present time. :( I want to read this book, but I'm cautious now since you've mentioned about the ending. I love a HEA, but if a bittersweet one fits the nature of the story, I guess we can't help it then.

    Thanks for the amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see for yourself. It's sort of happy.. but I can't explain without spoiling it.

      Delete
  12. Wow Olivia sounds like a character anyone would like! I do love the sound of her already. I still haven't read anything by Cat, but i"ve heard nothing but praise for her novels. SOunds like someone I have to get to soon.

    Fabulous review, Mel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds beautifully haunting and love that they've provided illustrations that complement the storyline, you don't see many books that put in that kind of effort anymore. I don't read many historicals, but in so many of them, it seems that it was the norm in society to have women as second class citizens. But then again, there are so many dystopians that take the same viewpoint too. This one sounds incredible though, definitely going to check it out.

    Brilliant review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the effort pays of, because it completes the book in a perfect way :)

      Delete
  14. I simply MUST read ALL the Cat books, In the Shadow of Blackbirds is already on my reading list and after reading your review for this one, I'll be off to make sure it's on the wishlist as well :) Olivia sounds like a character I would absolutely adore and want to rally behind! And you can't ask for anything better than that in my book! Awesome review Mel!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yay for such high marks for this one! I started it, then had to stop and read something for a deadline, but I can't wait to get back to it! I already was drawn in by the magic and Olivia's character. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh great review! I seriously have yet to read a negative thing about this book. I am so, SO excited. I am tempted to pre-order. I LOVE the idea of pictures too, oh, I think you've made me even more excited. I am glad you liked it!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot wait to read this one! I know I will love it if In The Shadow of Blackbirds, and your review, are any indication! And now I am curious about that ending!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I picked up a copy of this one at YALC but still haven't got to it, it's been 3 months now and you're making me regret that decision. This sounds really good and I am definitely going to be moving it up my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing review Mel. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book. I just loved it so so much. Sigh. Olivia was the best :D And I too loved Henri so much. <3 But yeah. The ending is mean. But it is also hopeful :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, hopeful, but yet bittersweet and ahh <3

      Delete
  20. Oh my gosh, I loved this book SO much. I'm so happy to see that you loved it too, Mel! The focus that Cat put on women's rights (really, all rights) was the bittersweet part for me. This book was set over 100 years ago and we're still fighting this fight. It was still so inspiring. It's one book that I can't wait to share with my children one day. The ending did break my heart a little, too. But I understand why Cat wrote it that way!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0