Monday, November 03, 2014 16:41

Review 298. Robin LaFevers – Mortal heart.

9943276Title: Mortal Heart.
Author: Robin LaFevers.
Pages: 480.
Published: November 4th 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Sort: His fair assassin #1.
Review 1. Grave Mercy.
Review 2. Dark Triumph.
Source: My blogging friend Christina reads YA let me borrow her copy. THANK YOU! <3
Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own. She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has. But across Brittany, the tides of war are drawing ever nearer, with France pressuring the beleaguered duchess from all sides. Annith’s search for answers threatens to rip open an intricate web of lies and deceit that sit at the heart of the convent she serves. Yet to expose them threatens the very fabric of her existence and risks an unforeseen chance at love, one that she can no longer deny. Annith must carefully pick a path and, gods willing, effect a miracle that will see her country—and her heart—to safety.
Rating:

I am speechless. The best feeling in the world: when one of your most anticipated books of the year exceeds your expectations. Robin did it again and this series holds it's rightful place on my favorite list of all time. I must admit that I wasn’t blown away in the beginning, but that changed soon. While Sybella will always be my favorite, I really liked Annith. So now I'm extremely happy and sad, because it was amazing and I don't want it to be over!

This review is spoiler free for the entire series and book, but if you still want to be careful I will give you one sentence to describe it: This series is the perfect blend of sweet romance, kick-ass yet flawed females, action and history. I know I can’t do this book justice with my words, but I will try.

My reaction when I started:

Annith is an unique nun assassins, because she grew up in the covenant. She has trained all her life and she excels in every training. She is frustrated that everyone is send away on a mission, while she is stuck with guiding new girls. When Annith finds out that the Reverend Mother is planning to make her the new seer, she is tired of being obedient. She leaves the covenant to travel to the abbess in Guérande, but on her road she comes into the presence of Balthazaar and his group of hellequins.

I wasn’t a big fan of Annith in the beginning. I could understand her jealousy, but I was getting tired of her whining. She already showed intelligence, but it was a bit overpowered by her frustrations. It was amazing to see her develop through the story and how she hunts for answers. It's good that she breaks free from her blind faith in the covenant. She turned out to be a wonderful character with her own flaws and strengths. I especially admire the way she dealt with the life-changing information she gets when the abbess finally confesses what is going on.

Her reunion with Sybella and Ismae was wonderful. I love how Robin connected all the stories and that we can see our previous assassins again. These three form a great cast and I can’t get over how perfect this conclusion is to everyone’s story. We finally get all the answers to the Duchess problems and this political/historical aspect has always been something I enjoyed in this series. I’m happy to announce that Robin created a satisfying solution.

The romance is, yet again, a very good part of the book. Robin has a gift for writing balanced stories. It never takes over the plot, but it’s essential for the story and important for Annith’s development. Their mutual feelings are based on respect and friendship. It has enough time to make it feel realistic and it brought a smile to my face. I was surprised by Balthazaar and while it might be a bit cliched, I was very pleased with their happily-ever-after. They aren't my favorite couple in the series, but you can't stop shipping them.

My advice: put everything down, run to the store and grab yourself a copy from Grave Mercy + Dark triumph and devour them before this pretty conclusion is published. You NEED to read this series. You want it in your life, trust me. You can thank me later.

tumblr_mn2gu4yrKE1ro25eio1_400


author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

30 comments:

  1. This comes in the mail tomorrow. I am so excited!! And nice use of the Big Lebowski gif -- that scene is most excellent and weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how you felt when you started the book - it's finally happening! I have to admit that my heart has always been with Ismae but I have LOVED this series so hard from beginning to end. Every word. It's so re-read worthy and I will hold it close as the series that made me realize that I could love historical fiction. I'm excited that the world finally gets to have it. SIGH SIGH SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fallen in love with all her characters. They are all so unique and special in their own way.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh wonderful review, Mel!! I am SO EXCITED to read this now. I dashed over to my ARC and the minute I finish writing this comment, I'm digging in!! I've heard nothing but greatness about this book, I can't wait :) I'm glad Annith is another great protagonist and that she still has her flaws. Another great romance?! LaFevers is awesome. Fantastic review <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO excited to start this series now! :D I've heard so many fantastic reviews about it, but for some reason I always continue putting it off for one reason or another, but hearing how much you enjoyed it makes me want to give it a try as soon as I possibly can. :) The romance and characterization sound absolutely pheonominal! :D Thanks for sharing and, as always, fantastic review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *PUSHES the series into Zoe's face* Haha. Try it :D!

      Delete
  5. I loved Grave Mercy, but haven't picked up the rest of the series. I'm so excited to hear that it's just that good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GAH I'M SO FREAKING EXCITED. I LOVEEEED THE OTHER TWO BOOKS AND I GET TO SEE ROBIN LAFEVERS THIS WEEK AND JUST. GAH!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCITED I'M SO EXCITED

    ReplyDelete
  7. OKAY to be honest I didn't read ANY of this because I haven't even read any of the books in this series and I KNOW I need to because so many people rave about it but D: I'm lazy! I just haven't had the chance. I'll definitely see if my library carries them and I'll put them on hold; so many people love them, I feel like I'm behind the curve or something.

    I'm sure this was a fabulous review as always, I just want to avoid any spoilers or anything that MIGHT be a spoiler for previous books. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. How have I not heard of this series before if it's so awesome? I CAN'T EVEN WITH HOW LOOPLESS I AM. I HAVE NO LOOP.

    I like that the romance is a good part buuuut not overwhelming. It's nice to have a strong relationship that doesn't take over every page, but subtly builds in the background. YAY for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CHANGE IT. You won't regret picking this series up!

      Delete
  9. Woah, this book must have been really amazing! This is the highest rating I've seen in your blog:).
    I wasn't planning to read this book initially, because I never liked Annith as much as I loved Ismae and Sybella.But all the reviews I've read so far have made me change my decision.and now, I can't wait to read this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's so worth the rating. I would have given it even higher if I could <3

      Delete
  10. I'm going to read book two ASAP now so that I can get to this one. I have no idea why I've put it off for so long. I adore companion books and I'm so glad that Ismae and Sybella make a return! Annith bored me initially as well but I'm glad that she's a much more nuanced character than what she first appears as. Fantastic review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second book is my favorite one, happy reading!

      Delete
  11. Why, oh why, have I not read this series yet?! It's not my usual genre, so I suppose that's why... but I've had a copy of Grave Mercy FOREVER basically, and I really need to read it soon. This sounds fantastic!! And I love that the romance doesn't take over the story, but is still super important. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so happy this one lived up to ALL the expectations. Such perfection. What will Robin LaFevers have for us next??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but I will read everything by her <3

      Delete
  13. Puts textbook down to take your advice and run to the store and buy this book :P It's always so great to see people enjoying a book you've be anticipating. I'm even more excited and pleased to read this one. Now if all these exams would go away :) Great review Mel!

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read and read great reviews of this series and all I can think is: Why I haven't read it yet? I must catch up soon. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one too! Completely agree with your thoughts, this one was better than I expected as well. I was really surprised about the twist with the romance, I really didn't predict that. Also loved seeing Sybella and Ismae :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eeek, so glad you loved this book, Mel :D Amazing review, as always. <3 Sigh. I loved this book to pieces too. Just so so good :D Thank you for sharing about it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved book one and I really have no excuse for not reading the other two!! I can't wait to get to this one, especially after your (and so many other) amazing reviews of it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew you'd love this. :P I think it's my favorite of the series, just because I found Annith's journey so moving, and I love how strong she is by the end. And, yes, the romance is all kinds of swoon worthy (though it's hard to top Beast and Sybella). Great review, lady! I can't believe it's over either. D:

    Danielle @ Love at First Page

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of the best conclusions I've ever read. I love how everything from the first 3 books was tied so nicely together and finished off. Sybella's story was my favorite too but I really do LOVE all three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have the same thoughts about this book!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0