Friday, November 21, 2014 20:10

Review 302. Kasie West – Pivot Point series.

18090000Title: Pivot point.
Author: Kasie West.
Pages: 384.
Published: December 31st 2013 by HarperTeen.
Sort: Pivot point #1.
Source: Debby gave me her ARC copy.
Addison Coleman's life is one big "What if?" As a Searcher, a special type of clairvoyant, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she is able to look into the future and see both outcomes. So when her parents tell her they are getting a divorce and she has to pick who she wants to live with, a Search has never been more important. In one future Addie is living with her mom in the life she's always known and is being pursued by the most popular guy in school. In the other she is the new girl in school, where she falls for a cute, quiet artist. Then Addie finds herself drawn into a murder investigation, and her fate takes a darker turn. With so much to lose in either future, Addie must decide which reality she's willing to live through . . . and who she's willing to live without.
Rating:

My first experience with Kasie West was her contemporary On the fence (which was adorable) Right away I knew I had to read more from her, so when Debby offered her copy I decided to go for it – and I’m so happy I did. This book blew me away and after finishing it in one sitting, I immediately ordered the second copy. You can read both reviews, they are spoiler-free.

The thing I loved about this book was the simplicity
. A lot of sci-fi books can be difficult to follow, but Kasie did a wonderful job with her world-building. There is a part of the world where everyone is born with powers; the so-called mental abilities. The story follows Addie, who is able to see different paths when she decides to ‘Search’ when she has a choice to make. This time it’s the question: will she go with her father or her mother after the divorce? Her father will leave the Compound to go into the Normal World, her mother will stay.

This is how one of the best love-triangle-ish romances is introduced. There is one choice with Duke and one with Trevor, a boy who stole my heart from the moment I met him. After 5 pages of Trevor I was already rooting for them.

What I also really liked was the role of her best friend. She doesn’t just disappear when the plot kicks in, but she plays a steady part in Addie’s life. Her ability also comes in handy for Addie, even when it’s perhaps a bit too convenient. It also also interesting to see the two different paths Laila will have based on Addie’s pick and it was amazing how Addie took that in consideration. This is why I liked Addie so much. She cares for the people around her and she will make choices based on clever actions instead of emotions. I also thought it was interesting how her ability worked out. It’s great that she has to ‘turn her power on’; she is in complete control of it.

I was surprised how the stories came together. The two different paths meet each other on a certain point and that overlap was subtle and nicely done. I was sometimes a little confused (every chapter switches between her life with her father or mother), but I think it was a good choice to write the story this way. Some of the twists caught me off guard and that's why I read the sequel right away.

Title: Split Second.
Author: Kasie West.
Pages: 368.
Published: February 11th 2014 by HarperTeen
Sort: Pivot point #2.
Life can change in a split second. Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can’t believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She’s always been able to Search the future when presented with a choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too . . . but not without a price. When Addie’s dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He’s a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie’s memories . . . once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don’t want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school—but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her. As Addie and Laila frantically attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot . . . and a future that could change everything.
 Rating:
Kasie managed to keep up with the quality from Pivot Point. The story continues right where Pivot Point ended. I loved the split POV between Laila and Addie. I wasn't a huge fan of Laila in Pivot Point, but she made me appreciate her more in Split second.

The plot was good. We find out there is more behind the Compound then we realized. They aren't as nice as they appear. It was interesting to see how Addie and Laila both have to deal with problems in their life. Everything wraps up nicely, but there was still something about the ending that made me wish there was more.

Nevertheless, a great duology that I will recommend to everyone. Kasie West will make you addicted to her writing.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

24 comments:

  1. I read both of these recently and I LOVED them! But I definitely agree that Split Second left me wanting more books in this world. Maybe not more about Addie because I thought her story wrapped up nicely, but a companion series of some sort would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Just more information and perhaps seeing Addie return in the companion novel.

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad that you ended up loving these books Mel, these were actually my first reads by West, and I have to agree with you she did an excellent job with the plot and characters in both books! I can't wait to read more by West soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I absolutely adore these books! Kasie West writes the best romances, and I loved the world that she created here.

    Fab reviews, luv! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Split Second yet, but I really loved Pivot Point.The best thing about this book is its world building.Both the parallel universe were handled perfectly without becoming confusing.And I loved those scenes which were common for both realities.
    Trevor is so dreamy, right? I loved that guy too.He was a sweetheart:)
    And if you want to try out another book by Kasie West, go for The Distance Between Us, Mel.It is a great contemporary romance and the heroine is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeek! Amazing reviews Mel. <3 I'm so glad you loved both books. I own them both, hoping to read them soon :D So glad to hear your thoughts on them. Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay don't kill me but...I DNFed Pivot Point. D: I just couldn't get into it. I hated the jumping around and having to remember which Addie I was with. I know so many people loved this duology but I just don't think it was for me. I might pick it up again later and see if I have a different opinion but for now...Nope. I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things like that happen :D We simply can't love the same books all the time!

      Delete
  7. I agree, Pivot Point had one of the best love triangles! Pivot Point actually took me by surprise, I didn't think I was going to like it, but I think it finished it in like two days. o.O

    Can't wait to read Split Second, although I'm kind of sad that these series is only limited to two books.

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so glad you enjoyed both of these, Mel! I really enjoyed these two, and Kasie West's writing overall. I read Pivot Point, Split Second and The Distance Between Us all in one month, so it makes me sad that I haven't read On the Fence yet, even though I've had it out from the library once. Wonderful reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed these Mel! I too thought these books were really well done and I loved Addie and Trevor together. I always get a little confused when chapters alternate timelines but not enough to detract from my overall experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I was under the impression you'd already read these books! Don't know why though... Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed them! I loved Pivot Point as well. The whole parallel universe was so incredibly well-done :) I still have to read the sequel (why I haven't yet... I have no clue! I do know that I have to do so very soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you loved this duology, Mel! I almost didn't pick it up because of the love triangle situation on Pivot Point but I'm so glad I did. It was worth it. :) Trevor is so stinkin' awesome, and both romances in Split Second are super swoony.
    Now you have to read The Distance Between Us, which is my favorite KW book :)

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved Pivot Point but I've never got to the second book. Nice to hear the sequel is almost perfect! I'll have to read that one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so glad you enjoyed this one!! read this quite some time ago so my memory is a bit hazy... i LIKED pivot point, not to the point of LOVING it, but there are some parts of the book that have me hugging the book and crying, "oh NOOOOOOOOO". i think i am a much bigger fan of kasie west's contemporaries!

    alicia @ noverly things

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you loved them! I absolutely adored the first one as well but I still haven't been able to read the second one. I really need to get my hands on it soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've just reminded me that I haven't read Split Second yet, I've been waiting for ages for my library to get it. I do like how both males had their strong points, plus it wasn't really a triangle as such because of the different realities. The best friend presence was definitely a good one to have as well. Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two more winning books by Kasie West! I hope that the love triangle that pops up in this series really is as noteworthy as you say because although I have encountered a few well written ones in the past, they are definitely the exception to the suckage rule.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading Pivot Point (I forgot the story since I read it a long time ago) The second book was um…I'm not sure you'd enjoy it. My memory might have affected my opinion of the book so it would be better to read the sequel ASAP. These kinds of books usually confuse me so I got confused to what was happening. There were a lot of things that weren't answered so it felt cutoff. It took me a while to realize it was a duology. :(

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you enjoyed the series as much as you did. I absolutely loved Pivot Point but, like you, I gave Split Second a lower rating. I did enjoy them both, I just had a few more issues with the second book. I really loved Trevor, he won me over very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! So glad you loved both of the books, Mel! Trevor was just so swoon-worthy. <3 I just wanted to push his and Addie's faces together.. Definitely agree about Laila as well. A lot of books these days just throw the best friend away once the love interest came in, and I was glad when that wasn't the case for these books. Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Obviously I need to read these, like, now! I've loved both of Kasie West's contemporaries, so I knew I wanted to try these, too. They've got to be pushed up ahead of some other things now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yayyyy I'm so glad you liked these :) I have to agree, the magic of Kasie West is in creating these wonderful relationships and that being the focus instead of heavy sci-fi/paranormal stuff. But the world building that is there is simple and well thought out and just YES. I should reread these next year. Only one Kasie West book next year, lol, that'll never be enough for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0