Sunday, February 22, 2015 22:10

Love-a-thon 2015. High Five.

BANNER - 2015 LOVEATHON_thumb[2]_thumb
I thought this was the best opportunity to spread some love to show my appreciation for you guys. I gave my own twist on the 'High Five' challenge and I'm only going to talk about the 'blogger' question. If I don’t mention your name, that doesn’t mean I’m not happy to have you around. You all contribute something unique to the community and it’s amazing that you are part of it. The last time we had our fair share of drama, but I hope we can put this behind us to focus on more important things: we are here to talk about our shared passion for reading and books. We might not always agree and there might be bumps in the road, but it’s an amazing thing we have here. Let’s not spoil that with negativity and fights.

First, I need to address some things people seem to discuss about all the time. So many articles shame people for the books they read, how they read and why they read. To those judgmental people I have one thing to say:


You are entitled to have your opinion, but not if it’s that kind of bullshit where you ridicule others for the books they pick up. It’s not up to you to decide what someone can/can’t read.



E-books, audiobooks, physical copies, paperbacks, hardcovers: it doesn’t matter on what platform you read, as long as you read.
YA, MG, adult, New adult: it doesn’t matter what type of book you pick up. Read whatever the hell you want and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. Books are stories, no matter the age target.
Blogger/author struggles: we are all here for the same reason. Authors love to write books, we love to read them and by doing so, we promote them to the world. Yes, there are negative reviews out there, but remember that it’s still publicity. It’s not bullying or attacking if you write your opinion about a book.
Blogging principles: you are not entitled to receive ARC’s, you are not being forced to review books and you aren’t used as a media tool. We should return to the basic of blogging; it’s a hobby. It’s something you should enjoy. It should never feel as work and it should not stress you out too much. If that’s the case, take a step back and take a few breaths. There is nothing wrong with a short break.

Okay, now that I’ve covered most of the things that have annoyed me, I want to say thank you to some of my favorite bloggers:

First my book club members who are now great friends. Debby, Daisy and Daphne. Debby always picks the best GIF’s for her reviews, Daisy shares my love for The girl of fire and thorns and Daphne finally returned to blogging after a long hiatus. These are the girls I fangirl and rant with over TV shows and books and I look forward to our meetings every month.

Christina reads YA is also a dear friend. She leaves the best comments and she has such a warm personality. Ashley & Nicole have so much in common with me, it’s unfair they life so far away. Stephanie designed my blog and I’m still in love with it. She gives the best tips and tricks for your blog. Becky has the best taste in covers. Christina has the best cover snarks. The girls from Gone with the words have a gorgeous layout. Cait should get her throne already, she’s hilarious. The social potato have their own comic strips. Sana rocks her minimal design. Amber has a great taste in TV shows. I admire Ashley’s design skills. Paperiot is run by a good working team. Jamie is a very inspirational person. YA midnight reads is run by sweet girls and they have great discussion posts. Tabitha is a gifted artist. Samantha’s youtube account is so cool, I love her accent. Charlene writes interesting Refined Reader posts. Kezia moved to Wordpress and got an awesome new design. Great Imaginations has sweet bloggers. Elena has fantastic wallpapers. Shannelle has a pretty blog. Jeann is a sweetheart. Natalie has great content. Aylee, fellow Potterhead. Oh the books! has cool guest posts. Meg is a very nice person. Jos├ęphine is a talented photographer. Sandra writes good quality posts. Kelly is such a generous person. Bookish Broads is a great duo. Jess has an eloquent speech. I have so much in common with Micheline. Carina has the best book hauls. Siiri is always so enthusiastic. Crini knows how to keep track of books. Alexa for hosting this event. Jeann for her fun Read play blog feature. Mitchii with her beautiful designs. Mishma is a sweetheart. Maji Bookshelf has an awesome Youtube channel. Charlotte is a wonderful blogger, look at her design! Hazel has the best photographs. Cee, with her great 'Sincerely Cee' feature. Natalie, a wonderful blogger who started as co-blogger but decided to start on her own. Kaylie, also a Potterhead!

Again, if I haven't named you: you are still amazing! Keep being your awesome self. Please share some of your favorite blogs in the comments so I can visit them too.

And last: a huge thank you to all the authors who brighten my life. I wouldn't be the same without all your stories.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

58 comments:

  1. Thank you for mentioning me, it means a lot! <3
    I've found some great new bloggers to follow through your list *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Siiri is always very enthusiastic if she loves a book. I adore her reviews, positive and negative ones. Great post, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this is such a great post Mel, and I have to agree with all the points that you've made, I'm so happy with the friendships that I've been able to make through the blogging community, and all the wonderful book enthusiasts like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an amazing ride so far and I'm so happy to be part of this community.

      Delete
  4. Awwwwwwwww ♥ MORE FANGIRLING THIS WEEK. Can't wait till Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty much at the point in my life where I am just fucking fine with reading whatever the hell I want to, and I don't care what that douche sitting next to be thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! I don't give a crap what someone thinks about me and what I read. Go judge yourself.

      Delete
  6. YES. So many beautiful wonderful bloggers on your list Mel. EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Mel, you did such a wonderful job writing this post! I loved reading your thoughts, and your emphasis on positivity is so dang important in this book blog world. So grateful for you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexa <3 and I think it's great you host such a special event.

      Delete
  8. You've hit the nail on the head Mel. Thanks for reiterating everything that the book community sometimes seems to forget at times - that we're all here for the love of books and it's unnecessary to be judging others for the things they enjoy. <3 <3

    Joy @ Thoughts By J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's important to say things we all need to remember!

      Delete
  9. This is a great post Mel! I agree with everything you wrote! And the GIF is perfect! Great list of bloggers! There are so many wonderful book bloggers and I am so thankful for this amazing community! Lovely post!
    Stephanie @ My Bookish Itinerary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooove the spin you put on this post! I loved the things you addressed and that you included little details of the bloggers you love. I agree, Cait is so freaking hilarious! I love reading her posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel, thank you so much for the lovely shoutout! You are one of my faves and I'm always always amazed with how you comment around so much- it's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes so nice to hear that people appreciate my commenting. It takes a lot of work and effort, but I love it :)

      Delete
  12. *tackle hugs* YOU ARE AMAZINGNESS TOO, MEL. I also agree with your list of opinions too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is so beautiful!I am still awed by the love that exists in our community:)
    Thanks a lot for mentioning me in your list Mel!You don't have any idea how happy that just made me:)
    And I also want to say a huge thank you to you for being such a sweet person and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I hate people who judge others' reading material. Ugh, so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HUGSSSSS YOU DESERVE ALL THE HUGS IN THE WORLD, MEL! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are adorable Mel. <3 Love this post :D So so many amazing bloggers. <3 I know and adore some of them too, hih :) And meek! I am mentioned too :D You are the bestest. <3 Thank you. And yess. I don't like people who judge others for how they read or what they read. Hmph. Reading is reading, no matter how. <3 Thank you for sharing this amazing post sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. THE GIF! That gif is the best! XD I love everything you have to say, especially about the genres. I never criticize what people are reading, because at least they are READING. I hate when it happens to me, so I make a point to not do it to others. :) You listed so many good blogs! *runs off to visit them* <3 Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moment I stumbled on that gif I knew I HAD to use it, haha.

      Delete
  18. I am soooo in love with this post, Mel <3 I agree, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please keep it to yourself if it's condescending and ridicules others for their tastes and preferences. I could not have said it better myself! Thanks for putting it into words, we get so much dismissal, and the YA demographic even more so (I read a review last week where it pretty much lambasted the whole demographic as immature). And thank you so much for the shoutout!! We are happy to be appreciated and we appreciate you just as much <3 <3 YOU ROCK, MEL!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is full of love, I really can feel it! I wholeheartedly agree it doesn’t matter what format it is, or what genre it is as long you’re reading that’s ok! Oooh, is that my name? thank you oh so much. A big shout-out goes to you: you’re a great inspiration for book bloggers out there, newbie or veterans alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I tried to include every blogger I could think of and why I appreciate them. And yep, that is you :D

      Delete
  20. This was such a great post!! Thank you for the mention it really made my day so much better after a hard day at college. I also found so many blogs that I can follow through this post so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. awww thanks Mel <3 this is a fantastic post! take it to the basics! blowguns is a hobby and you should find joy in doing that. Thanks for mentioning us and YOU ARE AWESOME!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awww thanks for the shout out Mel ♥ I feel the same way about you :) You're awesome and I always look forward to your posts, reviews and discussion topics! I always love when bloggers spread the love to other bloggers...as much as I try to avoid the drama, it seems that there is just so much of it lately, it's hard not to let it bring you down...so focussing on the POSITIVE is so, so important! You're AWESOME Mel, never stop being you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should definitely keep the emphasis on how AWESOME we all are :D

      Delete
  23. Awww, so much love in one post! Really wish I'd known about the Love-a-Thon sooner, would have loved to have taken part.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so great that you took the time to do this, Mel. I recognize so many of my favorite book bloggers on here. There's too many of them to name all the ones I recognize, but I love all their blogs. I don't think I could ever leave this wonderful bookish community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly don't see myself leaving this community any time soon.

      Delete
  25. I'm a new follower jumping in, but had to say AMEN to everything you said about reading whatever you want without judgement. I can't believe such judgement even exists.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this post, Mel! Especially your point about reading what you want and not judging people for what they read. Books are books. It doesn't matter if what someone's reading isn't something you necessarily like. The point is that they are READING.

    I'm so glad that I discovered your blog during the loveathon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Woooo catching up on all your Love-a-thon posts from the weekend and loving them! Especially this one - HELL TO THE YES on not judging people based on their reading tastes!! That's the perfect gif for that btw. Thanks for the shout out fellow Potterhead! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a sweet post Mel. <3 Especially in the blogging community in the midst of all this unnecessary drama, it's great to remember why we started blogging in the first place: to meet new friends and discuss our common love for books; and I think this post showcases that wonderfully. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do have great taste, I agree xD

    Totally agree that people shouldn't be judged by what/how they read. Nor should people act so bloody entitled!

    ReplyDelete
  30. YOU MENTIONED MEEEEEEE AND I DIEEEEEEEDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I do agree, the design for my blog is absolutely gorgeous, and I love it, and I love you too, you sweetheart! <3

      Delete
    2. Haha, crazy girl, of course I'll mention you <3

      Delete
  31. Oh my gosh Mel you are so sweet! This is an awesome Lovathon post and I totally agree, we're all in this together and why not spread positivity and love instead of negativity and ranting? You're just as lovely yourself <3 thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sprinkles the community with rainbows and butterflies*

      Delete
  32. Sigh, I didn't know there was such an awesome bookish event going on until I started seeing posts and tweets about it. *headdesk* I'm such a fail! That gif, though. I choked on my drink. Is it just me or does drama seem to be more frequent in the blogosphere these days? Not that there was never any drama before, but now it just seems that there are a LOT more of these dramatic incidents happening. I'm glad we have you part of this community to cheer us up and set things straight! <3 (Which of course means that I agree with this entire post about personal preferences and why they aren't wrong at all.)

    And awww, you mentioned me! Thank you. *hugs* I'm also glad to see so many other bloggers I follow, because they are definitely amazing people and deserve all the shout-outs in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the gif made me laugh too. It seems like the dramas also involved more people and I don't know, it makes me sad. I'm more than happy to make the community a bit more positive <3

      Delete
  33. OMG MEL. I literally guffawed at that gif. I was so not expecting it! Lol. Damn girl you really tell it like it is and I couldn't agree more with you! Kudos. And your shout out literally warms my heart. You are the best and I'm so happy to have *virtually* met you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, some things have to be said ;) You are the best!

      Delete
    2. It was such a nice surprise to see the shoutout :) You bring awesomeness to this blogging community!

      Delete
  34. Love this and thanks for mentioning me! I'll definitely be checking out some of the other bloggers listed here to find some new blogs to follow :)
    All your book club members have a name that starts with the letter D haha. You must feel so left out Mel haha ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0