Saturday, February 21, 2015 06:00

Love-a-thon 2015. Introduction.

BANNER - 2015 LOVEATHON
I also participated in the 2014 Love-a-thon and you can find my interview here for even more information. Hosted by Alexa from http://www.alexalovesbooks.com

  1. What’s your name?
    Melanie, but everybody calls me Mel.

  2. Where in the world are you blogging from?
    The cold and rainy Netherlands.

  3. How did you get into blogging in the first place?
    Goodreads. I started to post my reviews there and I stumbled upon a few bloggers. I decided I wanted to do the same and I simply got started.

  4. How did you come up with your blog name?
    It’s a wink to my love for Harry Potter, based on their newspaper ‘The Daily Prophet.’

  5. What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?
    Fantasy and Fairytales & retellings!

  6. What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?
    I have a mixture of different posts: discussions (based on bookish problems and personal things I notice around the community), Fairytale-related posts, personal stuff like my monthly recap and movie talk, especially about Disney.

  7. Best blogging experience so far?
    Getting interviewed by different bloggers, being highlighted on the HarperCollins website, being named in the acknowledgments of a book I proofread and getting named in the new Cress paperback! I’m also happy with all the interactions I’ve had with some publishers and authors, everybody is so friendly. Also; I got into a book club because of my blog and these girls are amazing friends now!

  8. Favorite thing about the blogging community?
    It gives me the ability to hang out with people who share the same passion for reading. Fangirling with someone who loves the book as much as you is the best thing in the world.

  9. Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2015!

    Only 5.. I hate these questions. 2015 is going to be an amazing years and there are so many books I look forward to. I'm going to pick a bunch of them and you can't stop me!

    -Marissa Meyer – Winter.
    -Sarah J. Maas – Queen of Shadows.
    -Maggie Stiefvater – Raven boys 4.
    -Rosamund Hodge – Crimson bound.
    -A.C Gaughen – Lion Heart.
    -Betsy Cornwell – Mechanica.
    -Cat Winters – The uninvited.
    -Sarah McGuire – Valiant.
    -Rae Carson – Walk on earth a Stranger.
    -Renee Ahdieh – The wrath and the dawn.
    -Elizabeth May - The vanishing throne.
    -Danielle Jensen – Hidden Huntress.
    -Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows.
    -Susan Ee – End of days.
    -Melissa de la Cruz – The isle of the lost.
    -Tiffany Schmidt – Hold me like a breath.
    -Sarah Prineas – Ash & Bramble.
    -Lisa Maxwell – Heartless things.
    -Jessie Khoury – Untitled.
    -Sarah Porter – Vassa in the night.
    -Nicole Castroman – Blackheart.
    -Sara Saedi – Never ever.
    -Naomi Novik – Uprooted.
    -Wendy Higgings – The great hunt.
    -C.J Redwine – The shadow queen.
    -Megan Morrison – Grounded.
    -Briana Shrum – Never Never.
    -Mindy McGinnis – A madness so discreet.
    -Juliet Marillier – Tower of thorns.

  10. What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?
    Juliet Marillier. She’s one of my favorite authors, but I rarely see her books mentioned in the community. She is such a gifted author with her magical stories filled with great settings and strong female characters. I’m going to reread her Sevenwaters series this year, so I can finally review them on the blog next to Wildwood dancing and Heart’s blood. And can we take a few minutes to appreciate her gorgeous covers?

    1730501622567177
  11. Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?
    I might be a bit shy and quiet when I meet someone for the first time, but once I get to know someone I can talk for hours. I always like sarcastic people and it’s nice to have someone who is easy with chit-chats to break the ice. I think I would get along just fine with Thorne (Scarlet/Cress). I would love to have a friend like Celaena. She is so fierce and a loyal friend, I could also learn a lot of tricks from her. I like strong, intelligent (female) characters.

  12. Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests?
    Obviously, I blog and write. I’m a TV show/movie addict (if you are a follower you might have noticed this in my Monthly recaps) I like traveling too, other cultures, food, languages: I love it! I want to have fun and do new things in life, like the diving instruction I had in January. I spend a lot of time with my family and boyfriend.

    I’m interested in many things. I’m already looking for a home study after I graduate, just because I like to learn. I’m never done with new information, especially about scientific topics. I used to draw a lot, but I haven’t got the time for it and I hope to pick it up soon. I always have music on the background and I’m obsessed with Disney and fairytales. So, that’s me in a few sentences.

  13. Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?
    Clothes, but not jeans. I love to get new things to wear, because good clothes make me feel more confident. I hate putting on/off pants though and it’s the most frustrating part of shopping, because most of them never seem to fit my shape. When I finally find a pair that fits me I try to buy them in different colours to get it over with, haha.

  14. At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing?
    I don’t have my song and the music I listen to isn’t really appropriate for a party (I love folk, but that’s not something you can dance on) Lately I’ve been listening a lot to Sia – Elastic Heart, so that might be a good pick.

  15. Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book.
    I already did a post with my movie cast for A court of thorns and roses. I would love to see Juliet Marillier’s books turned into a movie. Her world-building is so detailed and her cast is diverse, it would be fantastic.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

62 comments:

  1. I think Thorne would be the perfect BFF! I approve, although I might have to steal him off you. I'm chuckling at the thought of the DJ putting on folk music at a party XD It would be pretty epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it would be interesting to see how everyone is going to dance on folk.. Slow dance perhaps?

      Delete
  2. How cool to be mentioned in the acknowledgements, that would be amazing. This is my first LoveAThon, so I'm enjoying getting to know everyone. Hoping this is going to be a great weekend. Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an amazing feeling :D I hope you're having a great weekend too.

      Delete
  3. I'm gonna have to check Juliet Marillier out some time! Elastic Heart is a really nice song. It's been around for a while though but only now people are discovering it. I first heard it on the Catching Fire soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel! It's been a pleasure getting to know you more!

    It's so cool that you are from The Netherlands! I haven't been to Europe and would love to visit one day! What's it like, besides being cold and rainy? Haha.

    "...being highlighted on the HarperCollins website, being named in the acknowledgments of a book I proofread and getting named in the new Cress paperback..." You are amazing! I'm so envious of the experiences you've had!

    I'm a fan of fantasy and I can't believe I haven't read Juliet Marillier! Thank you for the rec; I'll be sure to check out her books!

    I love Harry Potter and fairytales so I'll definitely be checking out your blog regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Besides the weather, we have some delicious food (poffertjes, stroopkoeken <3) and some nice places to visit like attraction parks!

      Yeay, no problem, Marillier is such a wonderful author and I'm always happy to introduce her to more people.

      Delete
  5. HI MEL! :D I love how long your list of 2015 releases that you're excited about is. Hahaha. It's so difficult to decide! And I agree, shopping for jeans isn't all that fun. I always find it difficult to get a pair that fits just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I couldn't stop myself with listing titles.

      Delete
  6. Adding your blog to my daily reading list based on your blog title alone! You mentioned so many of my favorite books and now I'll definitely be checking out Juliet Marillier!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living in Netherlands must be so cool!It's one of the countries in my bucket list to visit!
    Oh come on,Mel!That's what you call 5 books?;)But I am not complaining at all because you just gave me a bunch of recommendations!
    I am so excited for the love a thon!I think we'll be meeting each other quite often this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad over here. 5 and.. some more? :p

      Delete
  8. I'm pretty sure I've told you this before, but I just love your blog name and that it was inspired by Harry Potter! Also, heck yes to Juliet Marillier being an amazing author. I finally read one of her novels in November last year, and fell head over heels in love with her writing! Currently working my way through the Sevenwaters series - it's been fantastic so far. I can't wait to get to reading her other stuff too!

    Thanks for joining this year's Love-a-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to re-read the Sevenwaters this year. It has been too long <3

      Delete
  9. Yes, being mentioned in a book is awesome!

    I have never heard of Juliet Marillier - but I will def check out her books :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. YESYESYES to Juliet Marillier. Wildwood Dancing is one of my all time favorites. Have you read Shadowfell? I'm looking to buy the Blackthorn and Grim books if only because I know I can trust Marillier to deliver and because covers (I mean really).

    I am the same way when it comes to #11. Celaena understands.

    And I think we should have a Disney sing-a-long one day on twitter. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. I recently read Dreamer's pool and it was amazing! And definitely, Tweet me ;)

      Delete
  11. I agree! being able to share your enthusiasm with other people who have the same passion is the best. Although your recognition from HC sounds exciting! I love clothes too! LOL so many books to look forward to! XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh! The Netherlands~ I've always wanted to travel there! Also I am in love with your site's layout! It is stunning! So so many books you're anticipating - I agree 100%! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your experiences are amazing. Congrats on all of that!

    Can't wait to see your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOAH MEL! That's one heck of a list ;)

    I feel you, I'm quieter when I meet someone new but oh boy, once I open up I can't stop the sarcasm and talking haha :P Definitely yes to Thorne and Celaena!

    Ugh yes, trying on jeans is sooo tiring. Plus you gotta take your shoes off as well and it's such a hassle if they're not easy to put on and take off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg Mel! So many good books XD I'm excited for a lot of those! I loved Celaena and Nehemia's friendship so much; Celaena would make a really good friend!
    Rosie // Rosie Reads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi again! It's great to see you participating again. I love your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog name, Mel! I love fantasy and retellings too. Whoa, that's quite a list of books! I can't wait for practically ALL of those :) I'd love to be friends with Thorne and Celaena. They'd be lots of fun. I like traveling, learning about culture, and trying new foods too! Lovely getting to know you hun <33

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's quite a list! I can't wait for many of those as well! It was great reading about you! (Love the blog name by the way!) <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well thank you for getting me to add a million books to my wishlist! So many amazing sounding retellings coming out this year and next!!

    Thorne and Celaena would be great friends. Although I think I would be slightly scared around Celaena... don't want to accidentally piss her off.

    Shopping for jeans is the worst! I'm the same way, I can never find ones that seem to fit my shape. I did actually just get lucky though and found some that I LOVE. I already bought them in three different colors and I really want to buy two more...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, I've never heard of this Love-A-Thon before. Is it something you link up to? If so, where I am very intrigued. Love the interview. Celaena would be someone I'd love to have as my BFF as well! And Thorne, I would get on so well with him as he reminds me a lot of some of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't know you were from Netherlands, that's so cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Six of Crows. Six of Crows. Six of Crowwwwssss. It has everything I love: heists + a crew. (Possibly a found family if it's written beautifully, which I have no doubt it will.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I understand your disdain for shopping for pants. In general, my body image is alright. But, the moment I have to try on jeans, my confidence all comes crashing down. I have literally cried in a dressing room because I tried on 10 pairs of jeans and none of them fit. Ugh!

    I hadn't heard of Juliet Marillier until just recently. Someone else listed Daughter of the Forest as one of their favorite books ever. My interest is definitely piqued now, and I think I'll keep an eye out for these books when I got to the library next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeans are a huge frustration point for me. Anything else is fine, but when I have to buy those.. I'm happy I finally found some that fit me, so I'm good for a few years, haha.

      Delete
  24. Haha, I love that you picked a lot more than just five books. I'm excited to read most of those as well. 2015 has countless amazing looking releases!

    Also I LOVE your blog name. It's an awesome nod to HP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't know you were featured on HarperCollins website! That's awesome, Mel!

    oxo - L

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello! I've been a follower for a while now so it's fun to learn some more information about you. I can't stand buying jeans either. I mean.. ugh. The good jeans anymore are like $150 or more so I plan to keep them like 10 years! LOL.. I just can't gain a lb during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. CELAENA WOULD BE A FREAKING AWESOME BFF CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT. LIKE. WOAH. ALSO I must totally read these Juliet Marillier books. ALSO YES TO ALL YOUR ANTICIPATED READS. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would also come in handy. I don't think anyone would ever dare to threat us. It would be amazing to walk outside in the night, because she will kick everyone's butt.

      Delete
  28. BAHAHA, I got to your list and seriously laughed out loud. I adore you... that's fantastic that you picked a million books lol.

    I hadn't heard of Juliet Marillier until this year when Hannah blogged about the series, but I'm so excited to try it out! It sounds fabulous and considering all I want to read is fantasy now... perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I'm sorry, I just couldn't pick 5, it wouldn't be fair to all the other books.

      Delete
  29. Wow, you had your name in the acknowledgements of a book and in the paperback version of Cress? That's so awesome! :) I, too, am so excited for Winter, Mechanica, Valiant and Crimson Bound.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous post Mel. <3 I love getting to know you more, hih :) You are amazing, and one of the people I have loved getting to know thanks to blogging. <3 And yay for so many amazing things that have happened to you :D And so many amazing books to look forward to, sigh. <3 And hmm. Now you are making me want to check out Juliet Marillier, lol :) Maybe one day. <3 Those covers are pretty gorgeous ;) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved reading your answers here Mel^^ I wish I was BFFs with Celaena too, although Thorne would be a blast to hang out with too XD I haven't read any books by Juliet Marillier yet but a ton of her books are on my wishlist/tbr shelf! Oh and I LOVE all your picks for eagerly anticipated 2015 reads, ESPECIALLY Queen of Shadows, Raven Boys 4 & Winter! I just finished The Wrath & The Dawn myself and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hate shopping for jeans too! OMG. It's the absolute worst. Which is probably why I only own like one pair right now. Haha. I'm super short, so it's a pain because I have to get them hemmed to fit. Sigh. I also love how you couldn't narrow it down to 5! I feel like I'm cheating on the books I didn't mention- or that I don't want them as much because I was forced to choose! Haha.

    I've seen a few people mention Marillier before. I will have to give her a try!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing Mel! I loved it! Jean shopping annoys the heck out of me as well, just because purchasing the correct pair with the perfect proportions is just so hard.

    AND OH GOD I JUST FINISHED ACOTAR AND MEL I WENT STRAIGHT BACK TO YOUR FANCAST AND I CAN TOTALLY SEE IT

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have to agree Juliet Marillier's covers are beautiful. I've never heard of her until recently, so you are right about her not being much talked about. I definitely want to give her books a try. I also share your love for traveling, languages and trying new things. I always want to learn new skills and am on the lookout for new experiences. It's the only way to seize life in my opinion. And new pretty clothes always make me feel good about myself too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to bother everyone until the whole world knows about Marillier :D

      Delete
  35. So neat meeting someone from the Netherlands!! Hiii *waves* I'm so late with the visiting but just wanted to say thank you for the love on my posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. hiii me again, catching up on all these love-a-thon posts in reverse :) I love how you listed like a billion books for #9 instead of 5 but I too am excited for like 90% of these so I don't blame you for wanting to list them all! And those are some seriously awesome best blogging moments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0