Friday, March 20, 2015 20:31

Burn, rewrite or re-read tag.

I was tagged by the lovely Meg from Adrift on Vulcan. You are supposed to pick three random books. I first thought about random books from my read-shelf on Goodreads with a random number generator, but then I decided to be a rebel and make my own rules.

Thats how we roll in the shire thats how we_20d804_3674680
There are three rounds and I picked fairytales as my genre for this tag (suprise-surprise!). Then I went to Goodreads to the Listopia page. I opened the YA fairytale list and that's where I picked my random books from.
ROUND 1. 

126809981744919712497752
BURN: Sarah Cross – Kill me softly wasn’t a success for me. I liked the idea of the world-building, where there isn’t just one Snow White, Sleeping beauty etc. Every time someone is born, they are born to be part of one of those stories. It was clever, but I unfortunately hated almost every character.

REWRITE: A.G Howard – Unhinged. I liked Splintered and her dark twist on Wonderland, but the main focus in Unhinged was Alyssa’s struggle to pick between Jeb and Morpheus. If you know me, you know I’m not a huge fan of books with a focus on romance, so I would make that aspect more subtle. The focus should be on Wonderland in my opinion.

RE-READ: Marissa Meyer – Cinder. I am actually planning to re-read this series in anticipation for Winter. I love everything about these books, especially how Marissa keeps introducing new characters without making it overwhelming. She is great in entwining those storylines and the characters rock.
ROUND 2. 

1743390958820713928
BURN: Elizabeth C. Bunce – A curse dark as gold. This is not a very popular opinion, because almost everyone on Goodreads is raving about this book. I was bored out of my mind and I didn’t care about the main character. It’s  a shame this was so disappointing, because they aren’t a lot of Rumpelstilskin retellings.

REWRITE: Merrie Haskell – The princess curse. This book almost had it all: I liked the combination of fairytales and mythology, the love-interest was fascinating and I liked the main character. The only problem with her was her age (13) and that made the romance awkward and unrealistic. I would rewrite this book and make her more around the age of 16.

RE-READ: Juliet Marillier – Daughter of the forest. I am rereading this series this year, so I can finally write a review to showcase on my blog. If you know me well, you know Marillier is one of my favorite authors. I try to use her name as often as possible in the hope I get more people to read her work. It is magical.
ROUND 3. 

9855021570044612180248
BURN: Debbie Viguié – Scarlet moon. I enjoyed most of the books in this fairytale series, written by several authors, but this book made me want to bang my head against a wall. Big disappointment, because Red Riding Hood retellings aren’t that popular. The romance was crap, the love-interest was a douche and the ending is too abrupt.

REWRITE: Melanie Dickerson – The fairest beauty. I liked most of this book and I don’t mind to have the occasional mention of fate, but this book was too heavily loaded with praying and answering to God. If I could rewrite this book I would tone it down a little, to make this a more appealing retelling.

RE-READ: Alethea Kontis – Enchanted. I finally have a physical copy, thanks for Nicole & Ashley <3, so I’m planning to reread this one soon. It’s a mix with different fairytales and I look forward to discover them all. I had a lot of fun with all the characters and I can’t wait to read the last book that was published at the beginning of this month.

I tag:
everyone who wants to do this too.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. This tag looks so fun! I might have to do it =D It's a sad sad thing that I haven't read any of these books considering I love fairy tale retellings. Cinder is on my list for this year though.

    - Jazzie @ The Book Dancer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should :D And if you love fairytale retellings, I highly suggest to pick up the ones I placed in re-read!

      Delete
  2. I'm planning on rereading The Lunar Chronicles books before Winter comes out as well. I read all of them about a year ago, and I only remember the basic plots of the books. I really need to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! This post is all kinds of amazing Mel :D I love the idea for it! So cool. <3 I might want to do it one day, hih ;p Yay for re-reading Cinder soon. <3 I am dying to re-read it soon too :) I haven't read a lot of these books, but I have read a few, and I very much agree with you about them, hih ;p Though I would choose to burn Unhinged :p I can't stand love triangles :\ So sad. But the plot seemed interesting :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fun, I may have to do it! I'm way behind on the Lunar Chronicles and just reading Scarlet right now. So far, enjoying it more than Cinder, but love that they are interconnected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet is my favorite part of the series so far :)

      Delete
  5. Ah this tag could be incredibly challenging if your random three picks were all favorites. I would probably have to cheat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you make me want ALL THE FAIRY TALES. I've only read like 2 this month, but I have a ton on my tbr for April. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pushes all the fairytales into Cait's face* :D

      Delete
  7. Fairy Tale Retellings! Ahh I'm kind of drawn to The Princess Curse even though it looks like an MG read and the MC is only 13 years old. Also I would love to read Enchanted! Lovely post Mel! I'm about to add some of these to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an MG read :) and while I had some problems with her age, I thought it was very enjoyable!

      Delete
  8. Round 1. I don't remember too much about Kill Me Softly, but I remember liking the twists that were given to some of the fairy tales, so I think I would re-write that one. I would burn Unhinged since I put it on hold after one chapter. xD I loved Splintered as well, but if this book is just about Alyssa picking a guy, then no thank you. Cinder is just perfection and I love it, so I would totally re-read that as well. :)

    Is it totally horrible that I haven't read any of the books from your second and third rounds? I have to remedy that, preferable with Juliet Marillier's book. :) I've seen Enchanted around before but the cover was making me squirm, but now I'm adding it to my TBR. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, after one chapter, perhaps for the best. It's a shame how downhill the series went after the great Splintered. YES PLEASE. Read Marillier :D

      Delete
  9. This tag looks like so much fun! I'm so glad Cinder is on your re-read list <3 I have heard that I needed to read that Daughter of Forest book! I liked how you picked The Princess Curse to kind of rewrite a specific part of the character, but not the whole book. Great installment Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Jeann, Daughter of the forest is fantastic <3

      Delete
  10. This tag seems like a LOT of fun, I think I'll do it too, but I'll make up my own rules like you did :) Definitely want to re-read Cinder myself, likely when Winter is out and I can plow through the entire series to my heart's content! Still need to read Daughter of the Forest...and the Splintered series though^^ GREAT post Mel ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making your ow rules is the best part of a tag, haha. Read Daughter of the forest Micheline <3 I think you'll love it.

      Delete
  11. I'd reread Cinder forever and ever. It's wonderful. I think I'd rewrite Unhinged too, I HATE when books focus on the love triangle/romantic struggle. Please just don't!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post Mel! I haven't had the best luck with books lately, so I think I'd want to burn a lot of books right now :( I love that you're a fan of the Lunar Chronicles too, I'm finally starting Scarlet tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read Splintered or the Lunar Chronicles yet! I really really need to though, hopefully I'll get to soon seeing as I got a copy of Fairest for review. YES! Juliet Marillier is the best! She is my fave author as well (right next to Sarah J. Maas) and I love pushing her books as often as I can :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great tag for recommending some books- I've read the first two re-read books you mention (and love them) so I definitely need to read Enchanted! It sounds awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOD. I read Dickerson's other retelling, The Merchant's Daughter (Beauty and the Best) and it was SO preachy too, as in it was full of praying, reading the Bible, and saying how God made women to care for their men and everything and I was like NOOOOOOO BOOK WHAT ARE YOU DOING STAHHHHHHP. And I need to read The Daughter of the Forest! You love it so much it has left me curious! :)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, which is a shame, because her writing-style, characters and overall plot are great!

      Delete
  16. Love this tag! I just read Cinder for the first time. I LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unhinged and Ensnared could both use rewrites. I'm back and forth right now on whether or not I want to read the novella about her wedding and stuff. I'm curious but I think I'll just end up pulling my hair out :/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh I totally agree about Unhinged. I loved Splintered so much but. Unhinged really fell flat for me. I agree that the focus should've been on Wonderland and the dilemma between the Queens and such. I really want to do this tag, so if I do I'll give you credit for the idea :))

    Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Trust you to create a fairytale version of this, Mel! ;D I'm a little ashamed to say that I've only read Cinder out of all the books listed here, but oh well. At least I read one and not nothing, right? Hahaha. But yup, I would totally re-read Cinder if I had the chance. I actually liked it even more than Scarlet, which is weird, because everyone seemed to like the sequel better than the first book! I also remember getting an ARC of Kill Me Softly a couple of years ago and yeah... Not my cup of tea at all. I didn't even finish it because it was so slow-moving. :(

    Oops, I hadn't even heard of Juliet Marillier or any of her books before I read this post. Not a fan of the cover, but if she's one of your favorite authors, then her stories must be good! Will definitely be checking her out after this -- thanks for putting a brand new author on my radar!

    Ehhh, I've had one experience with fairytale mixing and it wasn't the best thing that could have happened. Into the Woods was something with so much potential, but somehow someone managed to ruin it with unnecessary scenes and happenings. The overall mixing together of fairytales was pretty good, though, so I would love to read something with a similar idea and better than that disappointing movie. ><

    Thanks for doing the tag, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course :D A tag isn't complete without at least one fairytale, haha. At least you read Cinder, which is worth something. That series is amazing. OH YES. I'm always happy to introduce Marillier to people <3

      Delete
  20. This is a fun tag! Whoever comes up with these is super creative. :D
    Cinder is definitely a book/series I need to re-read! Hopefully before Winter comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, this seems like such a fun tag! I would totally re-write Unhinged as well. I got so sick of Alyssa constantly swaying between Morpheus and Jeb. It was so annoying! I haven't read any of the others yet, but I do have Enchanted by Aletha Kontis on audio so I think I'll try to get to that this year!

    Great answers :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun tag....now I'm dreading the romance in the A.G Howard books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0