Monday, March 30, 2015 23:20

Monthly recap | March '15. New internship.

recap
This post recaps my month, from personal life to books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me.

OUAT1
This has been the most exhausting month so far, but I’m having a great time! I started my last internship at the hospital where I’m working alongside all the other microbiology analysts on the laboratory. This means I’m suddenly working days from 8 to 17 and when I get home I just collapse in my chair. I haven’t been able to do a lot of commenting & blog work, but let me adjust and I will get back to more blog activity soon

Back to the work: All the paperwork is signed so far and I grow more confident every day. I have worked on two different 'lists' so far and I even got to work by myself. (If you are interested: I have done urine cultures and pus) I truly enjoy what I am doing and I’m so happy to see I have made the right decision to study this.

I spent a lot of time my boyfriend and family this month. I went to the tattoo shop with my father to give him mental support and the result is stunning. I did nothing really memorable, it was just quality time at home, which is fine with me. It was great to have a relaxed month. I haven’t been able to sport often, since I’ve been feeling a little sick lately, but I hope to pick it up next month (my birthday month, yeaaaay!) The book club was fun like always and we had sushi - you can't go wrong with that.

Read1

22. J.K Rowling - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone. 5+/5. (Reread)
23. Victoria Schwab - A darker shade of magic. 5/5.
24. Cat Hellisen - Beastkeeper. 3.5/5.
25. Kate Leth & Drew Rausch - Edward Scissorhands: parts unknown. 4/5.
26. J.A White - The thickety: the whispering trees. 4/5.
27. Leah Cypess - Death marked. 3/5.
28. Alethea Kontis - Dearest. 3/5.
29. Christina Strain - The fox sister. 3/5.
30. Ransom Riggs - Hollow city. 4/5.
31. Jodi Meadows - The orphan queen. 4.5/5.

32. Marissa Meyer - Cinder. 5+/5. (Reread)
33. Paul Durham - The fork-tongue charmers. 3/5.
egsdsdg
MOVIES:
Mocking jay part 1, was a huge disappointment. I didn’t like the way they portrayed Katniss. She felt too whiny and weak. The plot was also very shallow, which proved to me that it’s rubbish they split the book in two movies. This was an unnecessarily, boring set-up.
Night at the museum 3: secret of the tombs, I liked it, but it gave me a bittersweet feeling. It’s really the end now, but it was overall a funny, good ending.
Guardians of the galaxy, Loved it! Groot is adorable, I loved the humor.
Dinosaur island, what the hell did I just watch? Hahaha. I thought I was going to watch the Disney movie about Dinosaurs, but apparently I choose the wrong movie and nopenopenope.
Big hero 6. HELLO ADORABLE BAYMAX. Can I get one for myself? One of the best animation movies I have seen in a while.

TV-SHOWS:
Dexter season 4 , 5 and 6 are finished. Such an easy show to watch and credits for the fact that it’s never boring. They keep me entertained and on the edge of my seat with all their sick twists. I’m up-to-date with New Girl and the Big Bang Theory. Once upon a time has finally started again and I’m loving it so far. The musketeers is great like always.Book haul
ADSOMBoeken2Grimm
I read V.E Schwab – A darker shade of magic right after it arrived and it was mind-blowing. I loved everything about it and I can’t wait for the sequel. I also devoured Jodi Meadows – The Orphan Queen, which I won in a giveaway by the lovely Alexa. I bought a copy from Malinda Salisbuy - The sin eater’s daughter, because it sounds good despite the mixed reviews, this gorgeous leather bound edition from the Grimm’s complete fairy tales and Cat Hellisen - Beastkeeper, which was a fun (too) short book.
2185156822544764
I was accepted for Danielle Jensen – Hidden Huntress on Netgalley by the publisher (thanks Angry Robots) and also for Naomi Novik – Uprooted by Random House (first time they accept me, woohoo! I bet they realize this is a perfect book for me)
dingamebobs
This is something new I want to add to my monthly recaps. You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

WHOZITS.
-I have found rumours about new movies for Little mermaid (2016) and the casting has begun.
-My heart is really happy right now. At first we got the news about a Beauty and the beast movie(which is obviously my favorite tale) and Emma Watson was perfectly cast. Now we also got the news that Luke Evans is going to play Gaston. Excuse me for swooning. The beast is also announced: Beauty and the beast cast. And we have Emma Thompson as Mrs. Potts, Kevin Kline as Maurice and Josh Gad as LeFou. Is this cast perfect or is it perfect?
-Disney is going to do a live action movie from Mulan. How freaking awesome?

Gadgets and gismos.-Researchers focused on a fictional zombie outbreak as an approach to disease modeling. Curious to see where you should flee to when you find yourself in the middle of a zombie invested city? Check it out here: Statistical mechanics reveals the ideal hideout.
-A visual voyage through the cells, organs, microbes and molecules that make up our body. Fascinating pictures in the article about The human body under the microscope.
-Ellen Degeneres made a short clip where she plays a role in Harry Potter.
-I don’t know why, but this gave me a good laugh and perhaps it will entertain you too. Two guys are attempting to learn Sia’s ‘Chandelier’ dance.
-One of my favorite versions from Let it go. A guy sings it will different voices from Disney character.

WHATZITS.
-The long awaited cover from Queen of Shadows was announced. What do you think? I love it, but my only wish is that the white cover also included purple/red/pink instead of the blue like the previous cover.
-Also the cover reveal for a book I’m really really really excited about: A thousand nights. So pretty!

How was your month? Read any good books/saw any good movies or TV shows? What do you think about the upcoming live action movies from Disney?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

37 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your internship, and I think it's wonderful that you're happy with it! Adjusting to the time is no fun, though. When I first started working it was really hard to adjust to the whole "I have to be HERE at a certain time for a certain amount of time" and then I'd get home and sometimes I was just so exhausted I wanted to do nothing. I didn't read a lot despite working in a bookstore because I was just so tired! So hopefully you adjust and create a schedule that works for you. :P But don't worry about us, we'll still be here!

    A Darker Shade of Magic was AMAZING. I absolutely loved it, and I think it's one of Schwab's best. Vicious was awesome too, but I think there's something about ADSOM that just has that little extra something that makes it twice as awesome. She just keeps getting better. :P

    I'm a bit nervous for the Little Mermaid remake! Hopefully they cast it well and make the story as rich as the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never sure if I need to tell more about it or if it will bore people.. I might go more into detail next month, because I'm having so much fun with all the different work I have to do :D

      I haven't read Vicious yet (I think in May!), but ADSOM was genius.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your internship! That does sound like a lot of work! I read ADSOM and Cinder this month too - great minds think alike!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Dan Stephens as Beast -- so excited for that remake! Awesome cast all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your internship is going well! I know every time I have a schedule change, it messes me up for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE The Lunar Chronicles.... can't say that enough. :-)
    I liked Mockingjay... but get what you mean too. Loved NATM3 but it was bittersweet.
    Happy April reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma Watson as Belle = a must see. And a live action Mulan?? This is just perfect. Absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome that your internship's going well, Mel! :D Definitely agree that the first Mockinjay movie seriously sucked, which is horrible since I absolutely adored Catching Fire. :( Big Hero Six was the cutest!

    I also got The Orphan Queen and Hidden Huntress, and I'm super excited for them both.

    LITTLE MERMAID AND MULAN? Eeeep I want. <3 Especially since Mulan is my favorite Disney film of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catching Fire was great! I loved every moment and I've seen it three times already.. I don't see myself rewatching Mockingjay to be honest :(

      Delete
  8. You have read some great books! I just read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I loved it! I really need to read Hollow City.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome month!!! :D
    I'm going to read A darker shade of magic next week, so I cannot wait!!! *-*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE OUAT, BBT and NG :3 I'm re-watching all of BBT at the moment haha :D Congrats on your internship too :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. March has been really exhausting for me as well, but like you said, it was sort of the "good" kind of exhausting. Ooh, your dad got a tattoo? Sweet! I've always wanted to get a small one on my wrist or something. xD And I hope you feel better soon, Mel. My whole family recently got sick and I basically spent two weeks in fear of catching a cold, too, but thankfully my body seems to be stronger than theirs, haha.

    A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC. I AM SO EXCITED FOR IT. And even happier that you gave it 5/5! The number of positive reviews I've seen for the book is INFINITE. But I want to at least read Vicious first before I get on to Victoria Schwab's other books. And your reading list this month reminds me of how much I need to get on my HP re-read. I meant to re-read it last year, but I never got around to it, sigh. Looks like you had a good reading month overall, though!

    Eh, I know what you mean about Mockingjay. I didn't hate it, but in my opinion Catching Fire was still a much stronger film than this one. I also felt like I was lacking an emotional connection with Katniss in Mockingjay. Hopefully Part 2 will be better this time. And I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy! Usually humor in films fall flat for me (I guess I'm just not very humorous, lol), but not for this show. All the characters were so lovable, and Chris Pratt looked goooood.

    Wow, your edition of ADSoM is gorgeous! And damn, that leather-bound edition of Grimm's Complete Fairytales. ME WANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his tattoo turned out great! I love the meaning behind it too. I have the dream to get one when I turn 25. I hope that I finally have THE design by that time (I walk around with a few ideas) and it seems nice symbolic :D Everyone at work is sick too, so I guess I got something from them.

      ADSOM IS SO GOOD MEG!

      Delete
  12. I feel just as you do about Mockingjay, like what they do to Katniss and the plot?! BUT BIG HERO 6, YES ALL THE WAY. I need to watch that again, soon. I TOTALLY agree with the covers for Queen of Shadows, the blue would have looked better with a pinky pattern behind her, (the UK version, right?) such a shame, but it's still beautiful in every way no matter.

    March was quite a month, and it's ending in a very weird way, but I'm just pleased we've got a fresh month to come, I need something new and something different. Good luck Mel!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! They already did the blue accents, so more purple/pink/red would have been better. I hope April will treat you well :D

      Delete
  13. I think relaxing time is great. You seemed so busy with you internship, you really do deserve some break. Also, agree with Mockingjay, wasn’t poorly made but it was kinda pointless. I need to really check out Big Hero 6, everyone seems to be raving about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! You had such a fun an exciting month Mel! I'm glad to see that the final stage of the internship is going well, albeit exhausting. And sometimes, you just need quiet time with the bf and family! I'm sorry that you're feeling a bit sick though - I had that in early March. Hope you feel better soon. Also, how cool is it that your dad went for a tattoo?! My mom has one, we both got a matching one a few years back, it was awesome ♥

    You read a LOT of fantastic books in March too, YAY for a HP reread :D I'm reading ADSOM atm myself, haven't gotten too far but so far so good! I'm glad you loved it! Need to get my hands on The Orphan Queen too.

    So far, I've read mostly good things about The Sin Eater's Daughter, but I definitely still want to read it regardless too. OMG your edition of Grimm's is GORGEOUS *drools* I got approved for Hidden Huntress too but I still need to read Stolen Songbird (oops!)

    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Mockingjay though :( I adored it, but then again I've been partial to the book to film adaptations for these from the start. I do think that they wouldn't have had to split the 3rd one into 2-parts, but that seems to be the style now o_O Oh and I ADORE the cover for Queen of Shadows too but like you, I wish that the white UK edition had the matching colours as the US one, like all the others did. Either way, September can NOT come fast enough, between QoS and Raven King ♥♥ And YAY for April being your Birthday Month!! Mine was March :) What date is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great that you got to work on your own! Honestly, I hate it when there is always someone looking over my shoulder. It's great that they're giving you this responsibility though (:

    I love New Girl and Big Bang Theory. They're both such fun series, they're perfect for a break

    ReplyDelete
  16. Phew, your month sounds busy! I hope your internship keeps going well.

    I loved ADSOM and The Orphan Queen, too! I'm glad they both have sequels. My other favorite reads of the month were All Our Yesterdays and The Tainted.

    I don't watch many movies, but I saw one called What If earlier this month. Daniel Radcliffe stars in it, and it was surprisingly weird and adorable. Have you seen it? I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even though you're exhausted, it's good you're having a great time doing what you like to do!

    WHOA. I did not know here's going to be a Little Mermaid movie! And if Sopha Coppola is directing this movie, it'll be a visually beautiful one. I AM SO PUMPED FOR LIVE-ACTION MULAN! I just need Mulan to actually be played by a Chinese actress. That would be wonderful! (No white-washing plz.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so awesome that you're doing what you love to do! Even though you're coming home exhausted, I'm sure it's very rewarding. Good luck with everything, girl. <3
    I can't wait to read The Orphan Queen myself, and I have Hidden Huntress too! I hope you're able to get some reading done this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's going to be a live action of The Little Mermaid as well?! :D I can't wait! (also for The Beauty and The Beast and Mulan! <3).

    I feel you on needing your own Baymax haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, it's so awesome to do what you love to do. Nothing else feels better. I love knowing details about your internship because I've studied biology and I really enjoy the subject.

    I hope you'll be reading Vicious soon because as much as I loved ADSOM, Vicious is an all-time favorite of mine.

    Ugh, so disappointing to know that Mockingjay Part I sucked. I don't know why they insist on ruining an adaptation by first splitting it up and then changing it up. I haven't watched any movies for a couple of months now. It just feels like nothing good is coming out.

    Uprooted is a book that I really want to read because Maggie Stiefvater loved it and it's fantasy so I'm pretty excited about it. Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

    Gah, I so wish they hadn't recycled the background of HoF for the cover of QoS. =/ But I love the cover anyway as well as that of A Thousand Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oof, that DOES sound like an exhausting month! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the internship and getting a lot out of it though! That would be a lot of work to put into something if you weren't getting a lot out of it. Mmm, pus and urine cultures LOL!

    That Grimm's Fairy Tale book - HOLY what a sight to behold!! Just gorgeous! I'm super curious about Hidden Huntress - and excited about Beauty and the Beast too!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhh. You had such an amazing month Mel :D I love seeing your recaps; as they are always amazing. <3 But aw, I'm sorry this month was exhausting o.O but you got to do so much. <3 And so many awesome books read :D YAY for also loving The Orphan Queen! <3 I loved it so much. Sniffs. And yay for Big Hero 6 :D I love it so much too. It is the best :) I hope you'll have an amazing April sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the new section with the Whozits and Whatzits. The scientific news is really interesting :) I'll definitely be back each month to find more awesome links. I also read The Sorcerer's Stone in March...but it was THE FIRST TIME for me O: I know. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I hope to continue the series though. I hope you feel better in April for your birthday! <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quality time with loved ones is always nice! And congrats on all of your accomplishments at your internship! It's tough juggling everything but you're making it work! I hope you have an amazing birthday/birthday month! I will be reading Hidden Huntress too and I hope we both love it! I AM SO EXITED :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on starting your last internship! I always love hearing about what you do, it sounds so interesting! Hopefully you won't be exhausted for much longer :)
    I've just picked up A Darker Shade of Magic and I'm even more excited for it after seeing you gave it 5*! I actually really loved Mockingjay Part 1 but I wasn't a huge fan of Guardians of the Galaxy - minus Groot because Groot is awesome! I've still to see Night at the Museum 3.

    A live action Little Mermaid? Ah! I'm so excited! It's my all time favourite Disney movie. Beauty and the Beast is a very close second and I'm super excited for the new version! Emma, Dan and Luke seem like perfect choices. AND a live action Mulan? All my favourite movies <3

    Happy reading, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your internship, Mel! I'm always happy when I see people love what they do. It's so inspiring and it motivates me as well. I hope you continue loving what you do!

    And it makes me happy to see that The Thickety got great ratings from you :P I love that series so much. It's just so dark and complex and so delicious, esp. since it's an MG. I hope that doesn't make me sound morbid! Bahah.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic, I am super happy that you are enjoying your work and everything Mel, as exhausting as it is! Sushi is delicious and my favourite. I'm super excited about you reading A darker shade of magic, I'll have to pick it up sometime. We just discussed Mockingjay on my blog, and Chiara didn't like the way Katniss was protrayed as well. She had pretty similar thoughts to you. I love Guardians of the Galaxy so much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your internship sounds amazing Mel, and despite it being exhausting, I'm glad you're having such a good time! I'm with you Mel, Mockingjay didn't do it for me at all. I was horribly bored unfortunately. The HC of Sin Eater looks SO PRETTY. I love the colours. Green gets me every time.

    All the news I hear of more live-action Disney totally reminds me of you Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad life is going great for you, Mel! Relaxing months that aren't too busy aren't a bad thing. And I agree so much about Mockingjay Part 1. It was such a letdown. It seemed like a movie about nothing that did nothing for the plot. Even my boyfriend and dad didn't like it and they usually love any movie. My fingers are crossed for Part 2, but I'm afraid it'll be a let down as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was also disappointed with Mockingjay part 1 and that made me not anticipate part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Monthly recaps! I feel like since I've been so behind for a while, you and I haven't really talked or I don't know that much about what's going on with you...

    I'm sorry to hear that March was such an exhausting month - but also pleased that you had a great time. (For a moment I forgot that you must use what we refer to as military time and i was like WHAT YOU WORK FROM 8 to 17 HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE). Are you hoping to be a microbiology analyst in a hospital in the future? Has the internship helped you determine what you'd like?

    I'm so glad you're growing more confident in your work! I had a very similar experience myself with my job (though when you said 'lists' I assumed making to-do lists of things at work and then you said the urine and pus cultures haha oops.). I'm g lad you feel like you've made the right decision - probably nothing better to feel like, huh? (I'm still not entirely sure, so not at that stage).

    Your dad got a tattoo?!?! Wowza! What did he get? Would you ever get something? Spending time at home is so underrated by a lot of people but I know what you mean about it being relaxing. I hope you're feeling better now that it's April - not sick that is - and yay to the book club!!! :) :)

    33 books! You are killing it so far this year!! And your average ratings this last month - you are getting really good at picking books you'd like, huh? I wish I was that good :P.

    Really?? But Katniss is weak and traumatized in Mockingjay. And her being weak is still stronger than a lot of the other characters. JLawrence did, I thought, a good job of evoking that strength even in a hard time ;O. (Tho I do agree about the plot being shallow and the movie being all set-up and as usual, why split into two movies *sigh*).

    AHHHHHHHHH I STILL NEED TO FRAKKIN WATCH BIG HERO 6. That was on my TO DO LIST FROM LIKE FEBRUARY.

    Pretty books ooooooooooo. Love that Grimm's edition and I've heard such good things about The ORphan Queen. Good luck with the Sin Eater's Daughter - that was on my list of to read books this year, but haven't gotten to it yet.

    ooooooooooooo wait Uprooted is on Netgalley? oooooooo should I request? ahhhhhhh.

    Thanks for the link to my blog, Mel!! :D :D :D You have a lot of interesting links here I haven't seen! (actually the only one I know is the live Mulan). I want to see this zombie hideout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Uprooted sounds pretty fantastic, I do love the sound of the concept and plot of the novel :) Sounds like you had a great month overall. Love the bookish photography as well <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just finished The Thickety book one recently! And I read and absolutely loved Uprooted! Too bad you didn't enjoy Beastkeeper more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0