Saturday, March 07, 2015 18:09

Review 218. Abigail Haas – Dangerous boys.

22907937Title: Dangerous boys.
Author: Abigail Haas.
Pages: 336 pages.
Published: August 14th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: A gift from Ellis.
It all comes down to this. Oliver, Ethan, and I. Three teens venture into an abandoned lake house one night. Hours later, only two emerge from the burning wreckage. Chloe drags one Reznick brother to safety, unconscious and bleeding. The other is left to burn, dead in the fire. But which brother survives? And is his death a tragic accident? Desperate self-defense? Or murder ...? Chloe is the only one with the answers. As the fire rages, and police and parents demand the truth, she struggles to piece the story together - a story of jealousy, twisted passion and the darkness that lurks behind even the most beautiful faces.
Rating:

I heard a lot about Dangerous girls, so I added the books on my wish list and didn’t look at it again. Luckily, Ellis send me a copy and right after finishing Dangerous boys I ordered Dangerous girls. What a mind-fuck! I was very satisfied how this story was told and how it tied together in the end.

This story is told in a ‘then’ and ‘now’ perspective. The story starts in the ‘now’ where Chloe is in the hospital. One body is found in a burning cabin, one boy has been brought into the hospital with serious injuries and she is unable to tell what happened.

Most of the book takes place in the ‘then’ where we get to see how Chloe and Ethan get into a relationship. Chloe’s life is a mess. Her plans for the future have changed, she must take care of her unstable mother and she has to juggle several jobs to keep the bills paid. Ethan is the only positive thing in her life, but soon she gets entangled in his brother’s life (Oliver). 

From the beginning on I didn’t know how I felt about Chloe. Her character isn’t written to be liked; we simple get to see how she deals with a situation that’s getting out of hand. I didn’t feel connected to her, but I felt pity for her when her life starts to crumble and I was engaged in her life. It was complicated to understand her emotions and decisions, but her unreliable perspective was fascinating. I can’t go too much into details here, but Chloe gets under your skin.

Ethan and Oliver are the complete opposites. Ethan was a bit too sweet for my taste, but Oliver was definitely not my cup of tea, with his bad-boy vibe and brutal way of thinking. I didn’t care for either of the boys, but that’s not what this book is about. There is a certain distant from all the characters, because the story is completely focused on the plot and the mystery about what happened – and better: who survived? I wasn’t let down by the answers and I’m very excited about Dangerous girls.

The last thing I want to share is that this book is filled with beautiful quotes that were spot on. This quote is my favorite: “From the moment you are born, people start folding you and tucking you inside a box of their own design. They dress you up in their own expectations before you even have a chance to  understand the constrictions of your fate. That box becomes so cozy and warm, you never really notice that you’re bent double, fighting for room to breathe.”
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

32 comments:

  1. I still have yet to read Dangerous Girls, but this one sounds amazing! I think it's interesting that the characters aren't necessarily written to be liked, with the story being more focused on the mystery and plot. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of times that doesn't work for me, but here it felt like it added to the overall atmosphere :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I've heard such good things about these books! And after reading all about them, it's such a surprise to me that Dangerous Girls didn't sell enough books for her US publisher to publish Dangerous Boys as well. I'm glad you loved it too, Mel. That quote is gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you enjoyed this one Mel, I actually can't remember much about this book but I can remember not really liking the love interest as well. The book contained such fascinating characters. Wonderful review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes yes yes! This book was so good, and man, I agree, it wasn't perfect, and the boys aren't to be liked, and neither is Chloe and just - the feels, I want to reread it, but I never reread, boo! Dangerous Girls was, in my opinion, better, and just perfect, so good luck with that Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to dive into Dangerous girls!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good read. I think I’ve saw reviews of it but shrugged it off as I was shunning way from hard & heavy stuff. But this one sounds like the good ones. Will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Dangerous girls in my TBR,and I just added it to the list as well.This book sounds amazing!I love intense books that mess with my mind,and I can't wait to read this one.
    Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh yay! I have read Dangerous Girls, and of course heard a ton about it, but I haven't heard as much about Dangerous Boys! But it sounds gooood. Especially the beautiful quotes! I think that is something that Dangerous Girls could have used a bit more of, so this is making me want to stop everything and read it! GREAT review!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh. That quote. That is simply wonderful. (Thank you for including that, Mel! It really… hit me, I suppose.)
    I was going to read Dangerous Girls (I thought this was a sequel, but now I guess it’s a standalone with a similar title) but thought it might creep me out a bit, and same goes for this, but I’m not totally sure. Perhaps if I saw one at the library I’d try it out, but I don’t think I’ll actively search them out. I am terrified of being creeped out! (:
    Glad it was a brilliant read for you, though! I hope DG proves to be even better. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the quote really did something to me, so I had to share it :)

      Delete
  9. Great review Mel. <3 I'm so happy that you loved this book so much :D I'm not reading it, I don't think :p Sounds like a mild love triangle, so not for me :p but I'm a bit curious now, since you ended up loving it so much :D Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it sweetie. <3 I hope you'll love Dangerous Girls just as much ;) Also! That quote is all kinds of awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd definitely dislike what is going on with the characters :p

      Delete
  10. Brilliant review Mel, I'm glad to hear that it's so twisty and messes with your mind. My kind of book! Even though I've heard so many good things about Dangerous Girls and I have it on my iPad, I still haven't dived into it yet. I don't know why I keep putting it off! I'm hoping I will be heaps surprised because mysteries do not tend to surprise me all that much these days - but here's to hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really glad that you ended up enjoying this one Mel, I do love my books which mess with your head, so can't wait to finally get to both of these books soon! And this book is full with gorgeous quotes too? That is always a winning book in my eyes! Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a book that I ever would have considered reading even for a moment, except for you review! Now that I've read your very compelling reaction to this work I think it might find a spot on my TBR shelf afterall!

    I'm in agreement with Jasprit, books that mess with your head are most enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant review. I absolutely loved Dangerous Girls and had to get Dangerous Boys as soon as I could. I admit that I preferred Dangerous Girls, but by the minutest amount and that might just be because I read it first. I adore Haas and her writing, I really hope she continues to write YA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo! This review makes me very excited to read both DANGEROUS GIRLS and this one :D I have a copy of DG that I got for Christmas, and I don't know why it keeps slipping on the TBR, especially since I have heard so many good things about it! I absolutely love mystery/thrillers in YA, and it sounds like these two books FINALLY get it right. Hurrah!

    I don't like super sweet or SUPER bad boys, so I kind of want to see who I like better out of Ethan and Oliver XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED the quotes in this book! I flagged a few myself, including that one! I can't wait to see what you think of Dangerous Girls since your read Dangerous Boys first. As you know (since we were review twins last week) I read them in reverse and I liked DG more. But they are both a total mind-fuck and I love how dark and twisted they all are. I did NOT see that ending coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what my favorite book is :D

      Delete
  16. I'm really excited to be able to read this one next. I was able to read Dangerous Girls and it rocked! I love Haas' ability to write mind-effs. They're amazing. I remember that Dangerous Girls got me so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just ADORED this and Dangerous Girls. You really don't get a sense of who's sane and who's... not completely in their right minds. These books were just made to make my goosebumps come out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad to hear that you loved this one! I have yet to read it, but was blown away by the reveals and happenings in Dangerous Girls. I'll definitely have to pick this one up soon, and I can't wait to see what you think of Dangerous Girls! :)

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is another of those books on my TBR that I really need to get to as soon as possible. I love the idea of not knowing which boy she is referring to at the beginning and finding out throughout the story. Because everyone will have a favourite and hope she is saving who they think she is. GAH the suspense must be high!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow this is a brilliant review - I'm really looking forward to this novel, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Beautiful review Melanie :) Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww, that is truly a lovely quote. Man, it hit me right in the gut because it is so true... who we become depends so much on the environment we were raised - its expectations and restrictions and what have you. We don't really have a choice in what kind of family or environment we get born into, either. Something to ponder about haha

    In any case! I loved this book so much. I think I even prefer it to the thrill ride that's Dangerous Girls. I think it's because it was so dark and complex, and that it's mainly the going down to the rabbit hole of the three characters involved. It was so fascinating to see it all unfolded!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sometimes makes me wonder 'how would you be if you grew up somewhere else?' when I see someone. How would I have been if I didn't grew up with my fantastic family? Thought-provoking quotes!

      Delete
  22. I really appreciate this blog.. Keep it up posting! I will back soon for reading more interesting Highlights about Astrology.
    astrologer Florida

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you though Dangerous Boys was a mind fuck, wait until you read Dangerous Girls!
    I didn't particularly care for the boys either, but Oliver had such an alluring personality, even though he was extremely screwed up, I still preferred him to Ethan. It's a brilliant mystery and I can't wait for you to read Dangerous Girls now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh I keep seeing these books. (It's so strange, they seem so well loved by the book blogosphere and yet I don't see them a lot of other places).

    I love Then and Now types if they're done well. That can generate a lot of suspense. I take it getting entangled in her brother's life is a bad thing because he's doing bad things? Sounds like Chloe has a hard time of things with the jobs, unstable mother, etc. -- but she's not written to be a likable character? Hmm. I do like unreliable narrators though. The way you're describing this book sort of reminds me of Mara Dyer, but if I remember correctly, you don't like those books?

    Ah, bad boys and being too sweet. Neither entirely appeals to me either - but the distance from the characters and the mystery of who survived does sound really awesome. Is Dangerous Girls a sequel? Hmm...

    And I remember seeing that quote from you in my GR feed and I think I might have immediately gone to like it despite not having read the book.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BOOKS TO READ.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0