Sunday, May 03, 2015 19:43

May retelling link-up | Fairytale ideas.

Unless-you-are-Snow-White_thumb2_thu[2]_thumb
May has started. Are you still on schedule? Here is a link to the master introduction post. It the end of this post you can put links to your challenge page/post and every review you post on your blog. Please make this easy to navigate by putting it like this:

UPDATE  @ your name/blog name.
REVIEW – book title @ your name/blog name.

Don't forget to tweet with the hash tag #FairytaleRC.

A lot of retellings have taken an unique approach, like Cinder with the sci-fi concept, Of beast and beauty with a dystopian setting or Cruel beauty with a lot of mythology. I’m all in for these different twists! Here is a list with ideas I would love to see in a book.

How about a steampunk retelling of Beauty and the beast, where all the talking objects are things like talking pocket watches? And the beauty is a plain girl, but her intelligence and cleverness make her pretty. They meet when she finds him wounded near her house and she decides to take care of him.

What about some Princess/Princess romance! Brave goes on a quest to find the witch who put a spell on her village; turning people into animals. Or even better, the witch made a virus that changes them (because you know I love my microbiology). It turns out it’s Rapunzel’s mother, so Brave ends up in Rapunzel’s tower and the two girls will hunt down a cure – and eventually fall in love.

I’m also a huge fan of gender bender, so I would love to see more stories around Mulan. It would be hard to make something new from this, but perhaps instead of fighting against the Huns she fights in a rebellion group against the Emperor – and she is the leader? And then she falls in love with the son from the emperor in a fight, but he still thinks she is a guy. (Not in an insta-love way of course, because we don’t like that stuff. Perhaps he captures her and is intrigued by her/him, so he locks her away in a place only he knows and they have a lot of banter.)

Or let’s switch things up and make the Princess look for a prince; and he has to sleep on a bed with a pea. He is actually her best friend disguised as a prince that couldn’t attend, because he got sick. When everything comes out, the King banishes him and the Princess leaves the kingdom to be with her true love. This can be followed with different other fairytales to capture all their adventures, like a part where she works as a goose girl or when she loses him to the Snow Queen, because she still believes he is the Prince.

How about you? Are there certain stories you are dying to see? Let your creativity shine and if you are part of this challenge, you can post some of your ideas on your own blog (with a link to this post).
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

16 comments:

  1. Love those concepts!You're really creative Mel:)My favourite is probably the third one,and I think it would be awesome to have a Mulan retelling. I've never heard of any,have you?
    I've always had the idea of a story which is a mixture of fairytales,with elements of each tale in it.I've never developed it,but I kinda have a vague idea of the story.I hope I can turn in into an actual story one day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only know one retelling from Mulan. The wild orchid by Cameron Dokey :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, these concepts are amazing Mel! I want that steampunk beauty and the beast... YOU SHOULD WRITE THAT!! (Also, I'm not participating in this technically, but so far this year I'm on... 7 fairytale retellings? I thought it was more than that... Oh well.
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! I only wish I was good enough to rock such a retelling :D

      Delete
  3. Question: I'm still doing the challenge but so far I've only reviewed my reads on Goodreads and haven't blogged about them so much. Is that allowed?? (If it's not, then I totally won't count those books. I don't mean to break rules or anything! >_<)
    Also I know it's fairy tales, but do retellings count? Like, say, would mythology retellings and classic retellings count??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered you on the blog, but just in case more people are wondering about this: No problem! There are no strict rules when it comes to the challenge and yes, retelling of all kinds count too!

      Delete
  4. I love the gender bender idea for a re-telling and a steampunk fairy tale would be amazing!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  5. DUDE. Are you a writer by any chance? 'Cause I would totally read some of those ideas! Personally I am a huge fan of retellings, though when I come to think of it I don't think I've even read one of them this year. o.O The closest would have to be THE DARKEST PART OF THE FOREST which definitely had fairytale-esque concepts, but it wasn't a retelling. Clearly I need to fix this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do write, but I have no idea how I could make a story with these things. I am far too rusty at this moment :p

      Delete
  6. Those are all interesting ideas, I have always thought about how fun it could be to read Beauty and the Beast only the roles reversed, so the Beast would be female and the Beauty would be male, that could be interesting to see how prejudices were overcome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a book! Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen!

      Delete
  7. MEL YOU NEED TO WRITE A BOOK WITH ONE OF THESE IDEAS BECAUSE THEY'RE AMAZE AND I LOVE ALL OF THEM. ESPECIALLY THE LAST THREE. I HEART.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are hosting this Mel. <3 You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god I am SOOO in love with the concept of a steampunk Beauty and the Beast. Your whole idea there is amazing and I basically NEED to see that happen now. Also, I love the idea of a princess looking for a prince.

    Maybe it's just because I'm doing this challenge and I'm more aware of retellings now but holy cow! Fairytale retellings are everywhere! I just read a children's picture book called Interstellar Cinderella by Deborah Underwood that's all kind of girl power amazingness. But it's not only that everywhere I turn there's a new retelling that I have to read. I might just end up totally exceed my 20 book goal for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0