Wednesday, August 19, 2015 13:28

Let it go | All the books I read in Spain part 2.


Let it go is my new feature, where I will spotlight all the books I DNF and the ones I read, but don’t want to review. And yes, the name is based on the wonderful song from the movie Frozen, hence the snowflake and the reindeer. This feature is based on several other DNF features.


This Monstrous ThingIron Hearted Violet17 & GoneElla Enchanted

Mackenzie Lee – This monstrous thing. 2.5/5.
This is a retelling of Frankenstein. Alasdair brings his brother Oliver back to life because he feels guilty. I liked how this book gives a different look on bringing someone back. It’s not solely about a crazy professor and Frankenstein didn’t turn out to be the monster we know. The steampunk feeling was nicely done. The rating is based on the fact that it’s not a memorable story and overall, it wasn’t that spectacular.

Nova Ren Suma – 17 & gone. 3.5/5.
Books with unreliable narrations can be so intriguing. I liked The walls around us and I was curious about this book. Lauren has visions of 17-year-old girls who disappeared and she has a feeling they want to tell her something. Lauren believes one of the girls, Abby, is still alive and she is the one to save her. I had a feeling at the beginning of the book that there was something wrong and Nova didn’t let me down. It’s a haunting story and I flew through the pages.

Kelly Barnhill – Iron-hearted Violet. 4/5.
Gorgeous book! It is filled with artwork that really added something to the story. Violet is smart, witty and loved by her people, but she is described as downright ugly. This is starting to become a problem when she wakes the Nybbass, who fills her head with lies. He makes her believe that true princesses are beautiful and he can help her with that problem. I liked the friendship between Violet and Demetrius. I also loved the presence of the dragon and the message in this book.

Gail Carson Levine – Ella Enchanted. 3/5.
I love the movie, so I thought it was time to finally read the book. And I was surprised, because this story is NOTHING like the movie. It’s like they only took the concept and created something entirely new; and definitely more enjoyable. The chemistry between Ella and Charles is much better on screen than in the book – and they made the story much more fast-paced. It’s still a good book, but this is one of those moments where I prefer the movie. (And if you don’t know the story; Ella got a ‘gift’ from a fairy at her birth. Obedience. This brings her in some difficult situations)
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

18 comments:

  1. I remember reading Ella Enchanted when I was younger and I enjoyed it. I definitely should check out the movie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may steal your idea to do short reviews of books I finished this summer. I never know what to do when I read I book I don't particularly like. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you on Monstrous Thing. It was good but it felt so bland and very forgettable. Great mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iron-Hearted Violet ziet er leuk uit! Die gaat op mijn leeslijstje :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw that's too bad you ended up not liking This Monstrous Thing. I have not read a Frankenstein reading so hopefully this one will end up memorable to me since it'll be my first Frankenstein retelling read. Oh wow I didn't know the book Ella Enchanted was way different than the movie. I totally enjoyed the movie. Anne Hathaway did a fantastic job. Not sure whether I'll read the book though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read 17 and Gone. I loved The Walls Around Us and really want to read her other works. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Ella Enchanted as well, but I'm surprised that it isn't like the movie at all (somehow I thought it would be). I've seen the movie sooooo many times that I'm afraid I'll have problems seeing the two as separate.
    Ugh... I'm really doubting whether I should read the book or just rewatch the movie another time haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought it would be more similar, but it's almost like they took the concept and created an entire new story (and it's better)

      Delete
  8. Ahh, you got to read so many books while in Spain :D That is so awesome! You are the best Mel :) Love your short reviews about them. <3 Yay for enjoying 17 & Gone :D I loved it when I read it too. <3 So awesome. I adore Nova as well :) Thank you for sharing about these books sweet girl. <3 But aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Ella Enchanted much :\ Been years since I saw the movie, but LOVED IT :D Must re-watch soon. Won't read the book, though, hih :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought 17 and Gone was so interesting! The ending was really sweet (highlighting all the other girls), but I got questions about the "magical" element.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to steampunk in This Monstrous Thing was great, I wish the story were more memorable though, so thanks for the heads up!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad to hear This Monstrous Thing wasn't too memorable for you! I have yet to read it but I'm still excited about the Frankenstein aspect of it. I never would have thought that would be something touched upon in YA. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, I was so excited for This Monstrous Thing! I'm so sad it wasn't memorable :( But Iron-Hearted Violet sounds really good :D Thanks for sharing!

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to read Ella Enchanted! I found the movie utterly charming, but I've heard from various people that the novel is even better. I guess I should make the time to find out for myself soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the Ella Enchanted movie as well, but I've never read the book. Maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently bought Ella Enchanted for that same reason lol (plus Book Outlet was having a sale :D). I guess even if I don't end up liking the book as much, it's still a pretty thin book. Maybe I'll like it more now that I don't expect it to be like the movie? Either way, I'll be interested to read the original and see what the movie was based on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0