Saturday, September 05, 2015 15:31

Review 237. Heidi Schulz – The pirate code.

24397055Title: The pirate code.
Author: Heidi Schulz.
Pages: 352.
Published: September 15th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion
Sort: Part 2 of Hook’s revenge.
Part 1. Hook’s revenge.
Source: Netgalley, thanks publisher!
Fresh off a fearsome encounter with the Neverland crocodile, Jocelyn Hook decides the most practical plan is to hunt down her father's famous fortune. After all, she'll need the gold to fund her adventuring in the future. (And luckily, Hook left her the map.) But the map proves to be a bit harder to crack than Jocelyn had hoped, and she's convinced that the horrible Peter Pan might be the only one with the answers. Of course, he doesn't really feel like helping her, so Jocelyn takes the only reasonable course of action left to her: she kidnaps his mother. Evie, though, is absolutely thrilled to be taken prisoner, so Jocelyn's daring ploy doesn't have quite the effect she'd planned for. Along with the problem of her all-too-willing captive, Jocelyn must also contend with Captain Krueger, whose general policy is that no deed is too dastardly when it comes to stealing Hook's treasure. And with the ever-shifting Whens of the Neverland working against her as well, Jocelyn, Evie, Roger, and the rest of the Hook's Revenge crew have their work cut out for them. In this rambunctious showdown between characters new and old, Jocelyn puts her own brand of pirating to the test in a quest to save her future and those she loves.
Rating:

This series quickly became one of my favorite Middle grade series. The sarcastic narrator, the adventures and the amazing characters make these books suitable for any age. I am sad that this is (for now) the last part in this series. Get it together Disney, we need more! This review is spoiler-free for the entire series.

Jocelyn Hook is ready to hunt down her father’s treasure, but first she needs to unlock all the secrets hidden in de map. She even has to ask help from Peter Pan, a boy she really dislikes, and during their meeting Jocelyn ends up with a new friend. She kidnaps Peter’s new mother and Jocelyn finds out that the two of them have something special in common. That’s not her only problem though, because Captain Krueger also wants Hook’s treasure.

This book is one thrilling ride. Adventures, puzzles, action-packed scenes and hilarious siutations. There are no boring moments when you are around Jocelyn, Roger and her crew. I’m in love with every character. They all have their unique and goofy character traits. Jocelyn is a perfect example for kids. She is clever and strong, but definitely not flawless. This makes her easy to connect with. She shows that you can do anything if you want it. Her relationship with Roger is the cutest thing in the world. Their struggles made it realistic, because sometimes you just annoy each other.

Captain Krueger addition to the story made this story action-packed and gave it a creepy-factor. He is a typical villain. A scary dude with his sharp, pointy teeth who is always one step behind them in the quest to find Hook's long lost treasure. It was fantastic to see Jocelyn and her ways to outrun him. She was always hopeful, even when the situation looked bad.

The puzzles at the end of the story were the best part. I had lots of fun figuring out the answer behind a question that reminded me of Harry Potter. You know, that part where they have to defeat Snape’s potion puzzle in The sorcerer’s stone. Hook was a pretty clever man, because he came up with some crafty ways to protect his treasure.

If you want a story with a brilliant voice (and you finally find out who is telling the story), adorable illustrations and fun characters who are on one big adventure, you definitely have to pick up this series.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

12 comments:

  1. This book looks so cute :D I'm so glad you loved it Mel. <3 I adore well done middle grade books. Sigh. And these looks awesome :) I think I must read them too, maybe. <3 Thank you for sharing about it sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your high praise for the first book in the series Mel so I'm really happy that you loved this one as well! I'm definitely going to be checking out the series too when I get a chance! Hopefully they'll come out with more books in the series here^^ it sounds so funny and really enjoyable to read. I love a good sarcastic narrator to go on adventures with :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. There is definitely enough story to continue their adventures :D

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review Mel! I couldn't agree more - I love everything about this series and I have YOU to thank for getting me to read it (you status updates on Goodreads did the trick!). I really do hope Disney publishes more because I don't want to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! It's fun to hear that you've made people read a book.

      Delete
  4. Such a fabulous review! I don't know how you did such a great job of keeping it spoiler free haha. I started this over the weekend and so far I love it as much as the first! The narrator is hilarious and I adore Jocelyn and Roger. I also really love the way that Heidi writes; her words and sentences are so descriptive and unique. It reminds me of Roald Dahl in a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take out a lot, but I always try to stay away from spoilers. Her writing is so detailed without being too much.

      Delete
  5. Well, you've got me sold. I'll have to grab both books for my boys. It is too bad they aren't publishing more right now. Maybe the author will do so independently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE the way that this series is narrated! It always makes me laugh, and it's just so unique when it comes to the books I read. I definitely had a lot of fun reading The Pirate Code (especially because I have a thing for puzzles)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun and unique series with fun puzzles and a great pirate filled adventure! Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0