Wednesday, October 14, 2015 21:17

Mel in Movieland | TV shows in 2015.


Welcome to my new feature, where I will be coming books and movies! I bet you can guess how I came up in the name, but in case you aren’t; Alice in Wonderland. You can find my inspirations in this post Fairytale news: other content.

I love TV shows and with Netflix you always have something new to watch. Subscribing to Netflix is still one of the best things I did this year. Today I want to highlight all the shows I’ve watched in 2015 so far.

Orange is the new black. Season 1 to 3. Season 4 will air June 2016.
This series features a female prison. Our main character Piper turns herself in after a sentence for something stupid she did years ago. We see how she tries to survive in a new environment, while she is struggling with her relationship. I hate Piper with a fierce passion, but I love every other character around her. Everyone has these unique stories that are shown with flashbacks and the personalities are so diverse. It’s good!

fbf3e100-99f9-0132-44d4-0ebc4eccb42f

Daredevil. Season 1. Season 2 will air April 2016.
Matt was blinded in an accident after he got acid in his eyes, but this heightened his other senses to a freaky level. He is now a crime-fighter who is trying to safe his city, Hells Kitchen, from a mysterious guy.  The fighting scenes are fantastic when it comes to choreography and the hero isn’t spared; he gets beaten up too. This is realistic and not something I often see. I also like the struggle we see in Matt, because his day job is being a lawyer. He is often conflicted on how far he can go. My overall opinion is that I like it, but I’m not in love (yet?)

Marco Polo. Season 1. Season 2 will air December 2015.
This show is based on Polo’s adventures in Kublai Khan’s court in 13th century China. I was not very familiar with this time period, but I was fascinated by the storyline and the history. After some research I am aware of the changes they made, but I would say it’s not too bad. I am really charmed by the characters and the portrayal of Kublai by Benedict Wong. He gained some massive weight for this role! If you like shows with greed, betrayal, intrigues and rivalry, this is something for you. Recommended if you liked The Tudors.

tumblr_nkjvs2LyTt1r5rk9to1_500

The musketeers. Season 1 to 2. Season 3 will air January 2016.
Set in 17th century Paris. This is a new take on The Musketeers. Athos, Aramis and Porthos are trained musketeers commanded by Captain Treville. D’Artagnan joins their group in the hope to become a musketeer one day too. The series follows the four in their mission to protect the King and their country. In the first season we meet Cardinal Richelieu who is giving them a hard time, in season two Comte de Rochefort is added. I quite like the females and how they are portrayed.

New Girl. Season 1 to 4. Season 5 will air in December 2015.
I have followed this series from the beginning and while it had it’s up and downs, I really enjoy it. Jess is my inspiration. She is clumsy and awkward, but most of all she has embraced herself for who she is. This show followers her and the group of men she shares an apartment with. I love the type of humour and everyone’s different personality.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17504-1384883067-27
Big Bang Theory. Season 1 to 8. Season 9 recently aired.
I don’t know what it is about this show, but it has captured my heart. Yes, everyone is pretty much a stereotype, but it works. There have been moments where the show seemed to lose it’s magic, but they always returned and I’m still a fan. If you aren’t familiar with the concept: the show followers a group of nerdy, scientific singles and their struggles with daily life.

Dexter. Season 1 to 8. Ended.
It took me some time to get into the way they tell the story (it’s told with Dexter’s voice on the background, like we are inside his head), but it really made sense after a while. What an interesting, twisted series with a heart-breaking ending. Dexter is a blood spatter analyst who likes to kill every criminal who gets free from the system without proper punishment. He is a psychopath who is really good in hiding the fact that he has no emotions. The most important person in his life is his kick-ass, foul-mouthed sister Debra. It was really, really good, but I’m still conflicted over the conclusion. One of the few series that still manages give me emotions when I think about it.

Debra-Morgan-Dexter-2
Ripper Street. Season 1 to 2. Need to catch up with 3. Season 4 and 5 are planned for 2016 and 2017.
Set in the streets of London’s East End in 1889, during the aftermath of Jack the Ripper. We follow three guys from the H division, trying to keep order in Whitechapel. Intersting mysteries and very intriguing characters. Definitely recommended if you like Sherlock Holmes type of series.

Once upon a time. Season 1 to 4. Season 5 aired September 2015.
I have been a fangirl from the moment this show started. Fairytale retellings with a whole unique spin, tied together in ways you can’t imagine. The basic line of this show (because it’s freaking hard to explain) is that it’s set in Storybrook, our modern time. We follow Emma and her son Henry, whom she gave up for adoption. He believes everyone is trapped inside Storybrook, without their memory of who they truly are; fairytale characters. He thinks Emma is the one to set everyone free from his mother, the Evil Queen. We also see flashbacks to the Enchanted Forest and I loved finding out who everyone truly was. Every season features a new tale and while the show has obvious flaws, I’m smitten.

tumblr_lumx8wHNWU1qccm57o1_r1_500
Game of thrones. Season 1 to 5. Season 6 will air April 2016.
I’m a big fan. The setting, the characters, the twists: I love it all. I’m not always too happy with some of the choices they made in the TV show, but credits for the fantastic cast and the way they tell the story. There are dragons and White walkers. There is backstabbing, plots and betrayal. It has a little bit of everything, but be prepared to have your heart shattered on multiple occassions.

Vikings. Season 1 to 3. Season 4 will air in 2016.
This show surprised me. My boyfriend picked it out and I never thought I would like it as much as I do. It is based around the life and journey of Ragnar Lothbrok, the first Viking from Norse Legend. I’m a huge fan of Lagatha, his first wife. The females have a really kick-ass portrayal in the series (they fight alongside men and are highly valued in society) and I liked the flawed characters and how realistic some of their choices felt.

tumblr_mo74kzaJ2y1ssb59go3_500
Hart of Dixie. Season 1 – 2. I need to catch up with the two last seasons.
Doctor Zoe Hart comes from the bubbly New York to the small town practice in Bluebell, Alabama. She has the rights to half of the practice, but the people there don’t like strangers and we see how Zoe struggles to become part of their society. It is fun to see her develop and Wade is such a cutie.

The 100. Season 1, still halfway season 2. Season 3 will air somewhere in 2016.
The first few episodes weren’t the best ever, but suddenly you are hooked and the show won’t let you go. I’m normally not a big fan of sci-fi, but The 100 does an excellent job. The show is set 97 years after a nuclear war. A spaceship with the last human survivors sends a group of juvenile delinquents back to earth in the hope they can start life again. You can already see the potential of failing, because 1. It’s not sure they will return to a life-able climate and 2. There is no supervision. A very diverse cast with characters that go beyond your first impression.

I also like to watch America’s next top model, Expedition Robinson (Dutch edition) and Master Chef Australia.

That’s it guys! All the TV shows I’ve watched in 2015 so far. Do you follow any of these? What are you currently watching or what do you recommend to me?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. I follow the Big Bang Theory! My favorite tv-shows are The Flash, Arrow and Pretty Little Liars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly watched a lot of TV shows, Mel! I have to say that I, too, love Once Upon a Time. It's just so fun to see how they put a new spin on familiar fairy tales :) I need to catch up, as I'm behind a season. Also, yay for Daredevil! I love the show a lot, and I'm not normally one who enjoys a lot of gore and action ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, the ending of the OUAT season is really good!

      Delete
  3. I loved Hart of Dixie so much! It's so cute and charming. I obsessively watch The 100, and the Big Bang Theory is SO hilarious. It never fails to relieve my stress. I want to watch OUAT and Vikings... Ooh I started watching Quantico, and it's really good so far! Also Scandal and seasons 1 and 2 of Revenge are pretty great. Also How To Get Away With Murder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot of good things about How to get away with murder. I wasn't interested in it at first, but now I'm starting to get curious!

      Delete
  4. I tried watching Daredevil but I couldn't get into it :/

    I love the other Marvel shows so far (Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter) and I'm pretty excited for Jessica Jones, which will be released in November.

    I'm waiting for Netflix to put up the newest season of New Girl! I love Schmidt so much, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Netflix! :p Such a wonderful waste of time. Haha! ^.^ I, too, am a fan of The 100. The end of season two is epic! I can't wait for season 3 next year! I just wish that we didn't have sooooo long for the next season. Ugh!

    Unfortunately, I'm losing interest in Once. It's not nearly as promising in the present seasons and they seem to be running out of plots, forced to simply add as many characters as possible. Kind of disappointing... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for TV shows is just as bad as waiting for book sequels. I'm sorry to hear that. So far, it hasn't let me down.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for that list! I was just looking for a new TV show to start and now I have a ton that I really want to watch... I've heard so much about The 100, but still haven't watched it - I think I'll start with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually just recently (finally) subscribed to Netflix and I am loving it too! I'm a fan of Daredevil but like you, I don't feel like I'm in love yet. The show has a lot of potential though and I can't wait for season 2 to start. I'm a HUGE fan of BBT though. It's like you said: sure, some of the characters are stereotypical, but it.just.works. I adore them and they never fail to make me laugh ♥ I finally got into OUaT last year and despite a few bumps along the way, I'm glad that I did. Some characters annoy me but I love most of the others so I'm ok with that :) I still need to get into OitNB, GoT, The 100 and Vikings though but they're all on my watchlist :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like the show is still holding back. I hope season 2 of Daredevil will make me fall in love with it, because it's definitely a good idea.

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of the Marco Polo or Vikings shows but I'm definitely intrigued! I really like shows with a historical background.

    I agree with you about Daredevil -- I watched the first two episodes and liked it but didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wanted to watch The Muskateers but it's not on my netflix!!! Probably because it's on BBC America, but I don't have that - I want it on netlfix :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaa, The 100! Ik heb in de zomer de hele serie in twee weken gekeken, had niet verwacht dat het zo leuk zou zijn :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh, I love this post :D Thank you so much for sharing about all that you are watching Mel. <3 Hugs. So many great ones too, hih :) Though I only watch a few of them. Sigh. But I love The 100 like crazy :D And I need to start watching OITNB soonish. Sounds awesome :D And ohhhh. I very much suggest that you watch Sleepy Hollow. <3 And iZombie. I do think you would enjoy them both :) Fingers crossed. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleepy Hollow, yes! I've watched a few episodes and then kinda forgot about it. iZombie has me interested too :D

      Delete
  12. man so many there that i enjoy myself, like The Musketeers. Always awesome when someone else heard of em! Marco Polo, can't wait. Need to catch up on Once Upon \a Time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen the first two episodes of The 100 and I like it so far. I haven't been able to continue it yet though. I'm so excited for this OUaT season! Not that the other seasons don't excite me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so afraid of watching Vikings because I don't want to accidentally rip it off (my WIP is about current Vikings) but it may be a good study guide on Viking lore and battles.

    OitNB is a show I didn't think I would love, but that series has seriously stolen my heart. I was screaming at the screen the entire time on the last episode of season 3. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, understandable! But like you said, it might give you some extra background.

      Delete
  15. You have done a LOT of TV show watching! The only show I have fully watched the first season to is Daredevil, and I loved it. I am so excited for the second season. I also really like New Girl, but my roommate watches it, so when she does, I do too. I don't think I would go out of my way to watch it by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I am FINALLY catching up on all the TV I neglected while in school and it is fabulous. I have one season left of New Girl to watch and I am OBSESSED with this show. I am also almost caught up on Criminal Minds and Brooklyn Nine Nine. Both of which I'd recommend! The 100 is on my list to watch soon and I'll probably try Orange is the new Black at some point... And I don't know what airs in the Netherlands but I just started watching Quantico and Blind Spot and they are both AMAZING so I highly recommend those too :) Love this post and so glad I finally have time to watch some of your recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *writes all the recommendations down* Great to hear you love New Girl :D!

      Delete
  17. So many great shows mentioned here! There are so many shows that I want to watch on Netflix but I haven't had the chance to. I love Daredevil and Big Bang Theory though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0