Tuesday, October 06, 2015 20:54

Review 241. Mindy McGinnis – A madness so discreet.

A madness so discreetTitle: A madness so discreet.
Author: Mindy McGinnis.
Pages: 384.
Published: October 6th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books
Sort: Stand-alone. Other work:
Not a drop to drink.
In a handful of dust.
Source: ARC copy from the publisher.
Grace Mae knows madness. She keeps it locked away, along with her voice, trapped deep inside a brilliant mind that cannot forget horrific family secrets. Those secrets, along with the bulge in her belly, land her in a Boston insane asylum. When her voice returns in a burst of violence, Grace is banished to the dark cellars, where her mind is discovered by a visiting doctor who dabbles in the new study of criminal psychology. With her keen eyes and sharp memory, Grace will make the perfect assistant at crime scenes. Escaping from Boston to the safety of an ethical Ohio asylum, Grace finds friendship and hope, hints of a life she should have had. But gruesome nights bring Grace and the doctor into the circle of a killer who stalks young women. Grace, continuing to operate under the cloak of madness, must hunt a murderer while she confronts the demons in her own past.
Rating:

This title is perfect for this book. There is indeed a discreet madness that seeps through the pages. This is a very subtle yet powerful story that will keep you up all night.

Grace is locked away in an asylum to protect her secret. She keeps her sharp mind hidden behind silence, because Grace has one mission: never return to her family, even if that means she has to act like a mental patient. There is one person who sees her potential and he helps her escape to another asylum where Grace makes friends and has hope of a new life.


I love Grace. This girl had to deal with a horrifying situation, but she is still capable of staying strong. This book is all about her mental strength and I adored her voice. She never let the horrifying things that happened to her break her. Instead, she finds a way to build up a new life where she can use her impressive mind. Her clever observations are of use to her friend Thornhollow. He is a doctor with unique methods and he likes to help the police with murder cases. Those cases were unexpected and I liked the mystery. The relationship between Thornhollow and Grace was interesting.

The setting is fantastic. The first asylum is brutal and has the practices we often hear about. The girls are mentally and sometimes physically abused. The second ethical asylum is much better and Grace starts to develop a friendship with two girls. They both stole my heart. Lizzie has a best invisible friend called String who keeps her up to date about gossips and Nell has other issues that keep her off the streets. They are blunt and they have a what-you-see-is-what-you-get attitude that I admired.

There is no romance in this book and that is a good decision. The main character is not ready for it and there is enough story to keep you hooked from the beginning. Combine this with a killer writing-style and you find yourself lost until you read the last page!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

22 comments:

  1. OOoh nice! I can't wait to read this one! Possibly the most used sentence this year! LOL! It's definitely one I am looking forward to reading eventually! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an excellent read! I love a good darker mystery. Do you think this is is a standalone? It seems like it would be a good series. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much, I definitely want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, this is planned to be a stand-alone but I could easily see it becoming a duology!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, now I really want to read this one! Somehow I missed it but it's definitely one of the first I'll get when I can go to the bookstore! I'm also really happy that there's no romance - I can't wait to see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I'm so excited! I'm definitely reading this soon. I had just been thinking about romance in this, but I'm glad to hear it's not there. Definitely not the kind of book it would make sense in, right? Wonderful review, Mel! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, romance would have felt really awkward!

      Delete
  5. Everyone is reading this right about now and I really need to bump it up on my TBR. I'm very excited to hear that there isn't a romance in this one - I was afraid of that, and given the setting, I didn't think it'd be appropriate. I didn't know that the main character was selectively mute, so that will be very interesting to read. Great review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. I think you will like it Bekka :)

      Delete
  6. Ahh I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one, Mel! I'm dying to read! I love that there is friendship instead of romance and am looking forward to reading about Grace and the asylum setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so refreshing when authors go a different road :)

      Delete
  7. I have yet to read anything by McGuinnis but I think all of her books are on my tbr shelf - and now that I've seen how much you enjoyed this one, I'll be adding it to my shelf as well :) The characters and the setting sound phenomenal and from the looks of it, I wouldn't mind the lack of romance any more than you did! Fantastic review lady^^ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds absolutely amazing Mel. The eerie setting, the wonderful characterization and the lack of romance all make me want to pick this one up as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED this read! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! I can't wait to read more from this author and I am hoping hoping hoping hoping that maybe this turns out to be a series? Eeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah, I love the premise of this book, it sounds really haunting with the asylum setting and the writing! It reminds me so much of the movie Sucker Punch. Looking forward to reading this one, thanks for the review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, gorgeous review Mel :) I'm glad you weren't disappointed with this book. <3 I decided to not read it or buy it, sadly. Not my kind of story :( Sad face. And upset about no romance, lol. But yay for you enjoying it so much :D That is the best feeling. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I knew you would be disappointed by that ;)

      Delete
  12. I don't know why when I saw this book I thought that it wouldn't be for me, you review makes me regret not giving it a chance earlier, but I shall try and rectify that immediately! Lovely review Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have almost finished the book - there's still some pages left - and I am loving it! This book is beautiful and is giving me all the chills! The horrors of Grace's life! *shudders* I was also really fascinated with the asylum setting!
    Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I've seen this EVERYWHERE lately! That cover is so beautiful... And I really like the fact that it's set in a mental asylum. Actually, it sounds quite similar to The Painted Bridge (asylums and wrongful imprisonment and whatnot), so if you're interested in that sort of thing, I'd definitely recommend that!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review, Mel! I agree with everything you said. So good, even without any romance element. I loved how Grace was brought to the edge and then pulled back. Mindy McGinnis knows how to write a story that keeps readers hooked!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0