Monday, October 19, 2015 20:54

Review 243. Sherry Thomas – The immortal heights.

17410991Title: The immortal heights.
Author: Sherry Thomas.
Pages: 432.
Published: October 13th 2015 by Balzer + Bray.
Sort: Conclusion ‘The elemental trilogy.’
Part 1. The burning sky.
Part 2. The perilous sea
S
ource: Edelweiss and Publisher.
In a pursuit that has spanned continents, Iolanthe, Titus, and their friends have always managed to remain one step ahead of the forces of Atlantis. But now the Bane, the monstrous tyrant who bestrides the entire mage world, has issued his ultimatum: Titus must hand over Iolanthe, or watch as his entire realm is destroyed in a deadly rampage. Running out of time and options, Iolanthe and Titus must act decisively to deliver a final blow to the Bane, ending his reign of terror for good. However, getting to the Bane means accomplishing the impossible—finding a way to infiltrate his crypt in the deepest recesses of the most ferociously guarded fortress in Atlantis. And everything is only made more difficult when new prophecies come to light, foretelling a doomed effort....
Rating:

The burning sky is still my favorite installment, but I’m satisfied with the ending and how everything ties together. The beginning was a little difficult, because I read The Perilous sea a while ago, but soon I was wrapped into the story. There are minor spoilers for the series (if you’ve read the blurb, you can read the review)


Iolanthe and Titus are still fighting against the Bane. He wants Iolanthe or he will destroy the entire realm. This means they have to find a way to infiltrate his crypt where he keeps his original body, but their friend has terrible forecasts about Iolanthe’s fate.

I think you can see from my review that I wasn’t entirely blown away. There were a few things that annoyed me. One of them is the missing world-building, like the previous books. I still wished we had more details about the world. It is not vital for the story and there is enough action to keep you occupied, but afterwards I was still a little disappointed by the lack of it. It is one of the things I look for in a fantasy book, so it’s sad there wasn’t more time spend on creating a good structure.

This book also has one of my hated tropes: Titus makes decisions for Iolanthe, because he thinks he knows what is best for her. I seriously dislike it when characters lie and take important decisions for someone else. I could understand WHY he had the need to do so, but it shows a lack of respect and it doesn’t give any credits to her worth and talents. You simply can’t go ahead and take matters into your own hands like that. He should value her role and opinions, but instead he leaves her behind when everything is at stake. Not okay. Iolanthe is strong and stubborn like always. She stands up for herself and doesn't take Titus shit, so kudos to her.

Their chemistry is still there and despite some of his missteps, I ship it. I miss their banter like in The burning sky, but they are cute together. Luckily, the romance isn’t the main topic in this series. It’s on the background and sometimes pops up in dire situations, but the focus is still on beating the Bane. Credits for that! The author could have fallen into the whole romance-is-the-most-important-thing trap, but she stayed away from that and delivered an exciting ride filled with action and magic. It’s a good, solid series with a satisfying ending. I only wished it had given me more.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

17 comments:

  1. sorry this book contained one of your disliked tropes, I can see how you would find it annoying

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one Mel despite having some issues, this is a series that I still need to start, but the fact that it has been a solid series for you, makes me eager to give it a go soon. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second book is my favorite in this series, but I really love all of them. Titus and Iolanthe just make me so happy! But I do agree - I was very annoyed that Titus yet again made another decision for Iolanthe. The boy seriously needed to learn his lesson the first time!
    I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this, Mel. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Just understand it already Titus, she is kick-ass enough.

      Delete
  4. I've only read the first book in this series so far. I enjoyed it, but for whatever reason, I haven't read books 2 or 3 yet. I want to but at the same time, a lot of people felt that the books do go a bit downhill from the first one - and I see that you felt the same way here^^ It's one of the saddest things ever I think when a series starts off promising but then falters from that point on. I do want to finish the series regardless to find out what happens to Titus and Iolanthe, but I'm in no HUGE rush to do so. Thanks for the wonderful review Mel! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, sad face :( I'm so sorry that you didn't love this one Mel. Hugs. <3 But so glad that you still liked the way it ended :) I did too. Well, I loved it to pieces, lol, but I understand why you had some issues :) I wish you could have loved it more. I do agree with what you say about Titus, but at the same time not, lol, because I didn't get mad at him at all :p It just didn't bother me. But anyway. Your review is gorgeous :D Thank you for sharing your thoughts sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed THE IMMORTAL HEIGHTS, in spite of not loving it as much as you did its predecessors. I can definitely see your point about Titus (he's so heavy-handed in how he treats Iolanthe in this one), but it really didn't bug me as much while I was reading. I just really enjoyed the way it was concluded (especially the very last parts)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer that this didn't deliver as much as you hoped! I'm still waiting for my preorder to arrive D: for some reason Barnes and Noble keeps saying it's delayed :( I think I'll just cancel that order and go to the store and buy it. I'm so excited to see how this series will end but also sad that it's ending. This has been one of my favorite series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have the same feeling when it comes to reading conclusion. I hope you love it :)

      Delete
  8. Aw. Worldbuilding seems to be one of main issues that a lot of fantasy books face these days :( I have heard wonderful WONDERFUL things about this entire series though, but I haven't got a chance to actually check out how many of those shining reviews ring true. It does sound like the character dynamic was top-notch, which is what I base most of my reviews on, so let's see. Wonderful review, as always, Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This wasn't a perfect conclusion for me either - I was confused in the beginning too and I was a little unsatisfied by how quickly the Bane was conquered given how much of a buildup there was but overall I still love this series and ship these characters! The Burning Sky is definitely my favorite too though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, when it comes to fantasy, I am not as forgiving when it comes to world-building. There has to be a structure. There has to be a decent amount of effort and space given to set the setting. Otherwise, I'd feel pretty empty without it :/ Sad to see that there were also certain elements that were not handled well. Even I hate that trope sometimes - the one where someone decides what is good for someone else. You don't decide their fate, yo! Inform them of the options and the consequences and let them choose for themselves >:(

    Faye at The Social POtato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he trusted her more to make the right decision :(

      Delete
  11. I only skimmed this one because I haven't read the first two books yet... though I did recently win them, so I'm definitely looking forward to reading them!! Sorry this one didn't blow you away, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed it overall, despite it containing things you didn't enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man those type of love interests who are possessive and step all over the female just make my blood boil! But I'm so glad that she doesn't let him do it. Sounds like you were slightly disappointed here! Lovely review Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0