Beautiful books | Introduce your novel.

Beautiful books

I'm participating in NaNoWriMo for the first time and when I saw this tag on Paper Fury, I knew this
was the right way to introduce you to the story I'm attempted to write. You can track down all my updates on my NaNo page, Mel-1704.

Please, be kind to me, haha. I have never talked about my stories before, so this is scary.

How did you come up with the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
I started writing when I was seven years old. I wrote a lot of poetry and slowly attempted to write a book. Somewhere on the road I lost my passion for writing poems and stories and I started to use my creativity for my blog. This is the first time in years that I’m trying to write something again (in English! My older work is in Dutch)

To come back to the question: it’s a recent idea. It started in the back of my head at the beginning of this year and it refused to let me go. I decided to give it a go and I’ve changed a lot of things in the story line, but the main idea is still there. It is inspired on my love for fairytales and the need to use more less-known tales.

Why are you excited to write this novel?
I am trying to ‘attack’ a lot of things that annoy me and I want to add things I think sometimes lack in stories. And of course: FAIRYTALES. I’m doing a lot of research and I’m loving it. I discover new tales and I try to find clever ways to weave them into my story.

What is your novel about, and what is the title?
What I have imagined so far:

Orenda has lived in peace for over 500 years. The Beaumont family has kept the country save with their magic, although that is gone from the family line now. The only magic can be found with mythical creatures who roam in the Woods. The easy life in Orenda changed when the King and Queen died in an accident in the neighboring country of Wakanda.
Their son Kyrill is now 25 years old and he still suffers from the loss, looking for revenge on Wakanda. He has a reputation of being a monster and he has locked himself up in his castle. His country is plunged in darkness and his people live in poverty and fear. 

One day he announces he is looking for a new bride and his eyes have fallen on Avyanna. She has one best friend, Garron, who is not willing to let her go. The two of them are trying to discover what is going on with Kyrill and how they can save Orenda before it is too late.

The main focus of the story is based on Beauty and the beast, with the moral that you don’t have to look like a beast to be one. The working title is Beauty and the Deathless.


Sum up your characters in one word each. (Feel free to add pictures!)

Avyanna – feminist.
Natalie Dormer, Aveyanna

Garron – protector.
Bradley Cooper, Garron

Kyrill – monstrous.
5-actors-who-could-replace-channing-tatum-as-gambit-535155

Which character(s) do you think will be your favourite to write? Tell us about them!
I think Kyrill will be a challenge to write and therefore probably my favorite. I want to channel every dark side of me and pour it into his character. At the same time I don’t want to make him a one-dimensional villain. I like to give him different sides, because I don’t believe someone is a 100% evil. Avyanna is based on some of my personal traits and feelings, so that is going to be interesting.

What is your protagonist’s goal, and what stands in the way?
She wants to show Kyrill that there is more to beauty and that females aren’t worthless creatures that can be used in any way he likes. Avyanna is ready to battle him. She is also willing to do anything to save her country from Kyrill's destructive hands. His power and an unexpected twist of events will make it hard for Avyanna.

Where is your novel set? (Show us pictures if you have them!)Colmar.original.1731download
Arundel-Castle.-Sussex

Avyanna’s village before darkness descended upon it. I imagine it as a colourful, provincial town and Colmar in France is the perfect inspiration. They look out to Beast’s castle upon a hill, near the main city of Orenda. That castle is now a creepy, neglected building.

What is the most important relationship your character has?
Avyanna has two important people: her best friend Garron and her mother. Both relationships play a big role in her life. Her mother sets everything in motion and Garron is there to help her every step of the way.

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
Avyanna had to deal with a lot of bullying and teasing while growing up. I want to show her journey where she learns how to embrace yourself; how to love the person you are. She has come to terms with every part of who she is.

What themes are in your book?
Grief. Friendship. Fairytales. Strength. Believe. Magic. Love. Acceptance.

Snippet from the prologue:
Kyrill signed a devilish bargain with an evil sorcerer. Instead of using his new-found power for good, Kyrill's anger cloaked the country in darkness, turning the once fertile sole into a bare state where even the strongest weed refused to grow. The river that used to be a playground and the source of fish turned into a swirling mass filled with unknown animals. The woods that once protected them became their biggest danger and the palace that once was filled with laughter stood abandoned and neglected on top of the hill. His uncle Attor took the power until Kyrill turned old enough to take the throne. Under his reign of terror, the land slowly turned into despair and the only one powerful enough to change it, locked himself away in his castle, eaten away by grieve and wickedness. After a year of empty stomachs, people no longer talked to one another and visitors were unwelcome. The happy country of Orenda no longer existed.

Kyrill was feared by many, but seen by none.

*Hides*

Do you participate in NaNoWriMo? 

22 comments

  1. This sounds amazing Mel! And also, I think you're so brave for sharing something so close to your heart! I used to write stories and poetry, but at some point I stopped, this makes me wonder if I should dig some of it up again :) Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, your story sounds AMAZING! I think it's going to turn out so, so well, and I'm excited for you to write it. Thank you for sharing about it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds absolutely amazing Mel! :) Hope I can read it someday. A Beauty and the Beast retelling is so perfect for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DON'T HIDE THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!! And your cast is gorgeous. *dies a little because pretty* Ahem. AND YAAAY RETELLINGS and omg your setting...and that snippet. Basically yes to all the things. :')

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!! If you ever need a beta-reader I VOLUNTEER AS A TRIBUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That snippet was written really nicely, loved the feeling it gave me. If the rest of your story has the same voice, this could really be something great! Also just wanted to say that I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, yaaay :D This sounds awesome. I love love love that you are writing Mel :D Sounds like an interesting story. <3 Hugs. Wishing you the best of luck with writing it :D You are amazing. I could never write a story, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an awesome story Mel! :D I love your take on the fairytale. And that snippet is so good! Good luck on NaNo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!! So much to be excited about here - first you're taking part in Nanowrimo for the first time - CONGRATS! And second, you've already formed this plot and characters around a story idea that I can already picture forming in my head and it sounds SO good!! Ooh, I hope you share some of your progress with the story over the course of the month because I already cannot wait to hear more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! At some moments, I still can't believe I took the plunge. I will definitely keep sharing my progress <3

      Delete
  10. I LOVE your characters and your prologue writing is absolutely beautiful! I love the fact that Aveyanna will be coming into her own in the novel as a feminist and showing Kyrill who's boss. The character imagery is spot on as is the setting as well! So beautiful - keep up the good work Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Beauty and the Beast retellings! This is so exciting! Your story sounds amazing, and I truly hope I get to read it someday. Best of luck to you, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love it! I love the title, and Avyanna sounds awesome. Feminism in fantasy = everything I need in bookish life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.