Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:58

Fairytale News | Unknown retellings 2015.


This is a 'new' feature I came up with. I will be talking about everything that has to do with reading. From pretty new covers to discussions about books. I will post them randomly.

I have some other posts, like retellings from 2013, another retellings from 2013 and upcoming fairy tales 2014. This time I thought it would be fun to highlight a few retellings all published in 2015 that flew under the radar. I think it's important to give the more unknown/unpopular books also a chance, so I set out and found the most promising looking retellings.

256747422384607123398606

A wish made of glass by Ashlee Willis. August 14th 2015 by Dewdrop Books. Based on: Cinderella.
The love of her new step-sister, Blessing, proves an unexpected gift in her time of need. Yet even as their friendship blooms, Isidore begins to see that Blessing is everything she herself has always wanted to be, but is not. Jealousy grips Isidore as she watches this beautiful new sister steal away all she holds dear.

The toymaker’s apprentice By Sherri L. Smith. October 13th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers. Based on: Nutcracker prince.
Stefan Drosselmeyer is a reluctant apprentice to his toymaker father until the day his world is turned upside down. His father is kidnapped and Stefan is enlisted by his mysterious cousin, Christian Drosselmeyer, to find a mythical nut to save a princess who has been turned into a wooden doll. Embarking on a wild adventure through Germany, Stefan must save Boldavia’s princess and his own father from the fanatical Mouse Queen and her seven-headed Mouse Prince, both of whom have sworn to destroy the Drosselmeyer family.

Alice by Christina Henry. Published August 4th 2015 by Ace. Based on: Alice in Wonderland.
In a warren of crumbling buildings and desperate people called the Old City, there stands a hospital with cinderblock walls which echo the screams of the poor souls inside. In the hospital, there is a woman. Her hair, once blond, hangs in tangles down her back. She doesn’t remember why she’s in such a terrible place. Just a tea party long ago, and long ears, and blood… And to find the truth, she will have to track this beast to the very heart of the Old City, where the rabbit waits for his Alice.



243274452259020723308599
Speak Easy by Catherynne M. Valente. Published August 31st 2015 by Subterranean Press. Based on: 12 dancing princesses.
The hotel Artemisia sits on a fantastical 72nd Street, in a decade that never was. It is home to a cast of characters, creatures, and creations unlike any other, including especially Zelda Fair, who is perfect at being Zelda, but who longs for something more. The world of this extraordinary novella—a bootlegger's brew of fairy tales, Jazz Age opulence, and organized crime—is ruled over by the diminutive, eternal, sinister Al. Zelda holds her own against the boss, or so it seems. But when she faces off against him and his besotted employee Frankie in a deadly game that just might change everything, she must bet it all and hope not to lose…

Alice takes back Wonderland by David D. Hammons. Published September 28th 2015 by Curiosity Quills Press. Based on: Alice in Wonderland.
After ten years of being told she can't tell the difference between real life and a fairy tale, Alice finally stops believing in Wonderland. So when the White Rabbit shows up at her house, Alice thinks she's going crazy

Letters to Zell by Camille Griep. Published July 1st 2015 by 47North. Based on: mix-up of different fairytales.
Everything is going according to story for CeCi (Cinderella), Bianca (Snow White), and Rory (Sleeping Beauty)—until the day that Zell (Rapunzel) decides to leave Grimmland and pursue her life. Now, Zell’s best friends are left to wonder whether their own passions are worth risking their predetermined “happily ever afters,” regardless of the consequences. CeCi wonders whether she should become a professional chef, sharp-tongued and quick-witted Bianca wants to escape an engagement to her platonic friend, and Rory will do anything to make her boorish husband love her. But as Bianca’s wedding approaches, can they escape their fates—and is there enough wine in all of the Realm to help them?


259358542314827923281804
The seventh bride by T. Kingfisher. Expected publication: November 24th 2015 by 47North. Based on: Blackbeard.
Young Rhea is a miller’s daughter of low birth, so she is understandably surprised when a mysterious nobleman, Lord Crevan, shows up on her doorstep and proposes marriage. Since commoners don’t turn down lords—no matter how sinister they may seem—Rhea is forced to agree to the engagement.Lord Crevan demands that Rhea visit his remote manor before their wedding. Upon arrival, she discovers that not only was her betrothed married six times before, but his previous wives are all imprisoned in his enchanted castle. With time running out and each task more dangerous and bizarre than the last, Rhea must use her resourcefulness, compassion, and bravery to rally the other wives and defeat the sorcerer before he binds her to him forever.

Mark of the Black arrow by Debbie Vigue & James R. Tuck . Published August 4th 2015 by Titan Books. Based on: Robin Hood.
A vast darkness is spreading. If left unchecked, it will engulf the world, and so Richard the Lionheart must depart England on a holy mission. In his absence, the safety of the realm is entrusted to his brother, Prince John. When the king departs, black sorcery begins to grip the land, threatening noble and peasant alike. Horrific creatures stalk the forests, yet the violence they commit pales when compared to the atrocities of men. A handful of rebels fight back, but are doomed to fail unless they can find a hero to lead them.

Princess Juniper of the Hourglass by Ammi-Joan Paquette. Published July 21st 2015 by Philomel Books. For fans of Frozen and Brave.
For her thirteenth nameday all Princess Juniper wants is a country of her own. So when rumblings of unrest start in his kingdom, Juniper's father decides to grant his daughter's wish and sends her to a small, idyllic corner of the Hourglass Mountains until trouble blows over. Once there, Juniper discovers that ruling a small country–even just for the summer–is a bit harder than she'd expected, especially when cousin Cyril challenges her rule. Still, the most difficult part is to come. Juniper and her friends discover that her father's kingdom is at war. The only way to stay safe is to remain in the Hourglass Mountains much longer than planned. Juniper may have her own country after all . . . but what will that mean for the kingdom of Torr?


219446652548212125040581

The Artisans by Julie Reece. Published May 12th 2015 by Month9Books. Based on: Beauty and the beast. 
They say death can be beautiful. But after the death of her mother, seventeen-year-old Raven Weathersby gives up her dream of becoming a fashion designer, barely surviving life in the South Carolina lowlands. To make ends meet, Raven works after school as a seamstress creating stunning works of fashion that often rival the great names of the day. Instead of making things easier on the high school senior, her stepdad's drinking leads to a run in with the highly reclusive heir to the Maddox family fortune, Gideon Maddox. Is Gideon Maddox the monster the world believes him to be? And can he stand to let the young seamstress see him as he really is?

Trixter by Alethea Kontis. Published May 3rd 2015 by Alethea Kontis. Based on: mesh-up.
Trix Woodcutter is the long prophesied Boy Who Talks to Animals. He’s also a foundling prankster scamp who places his family under a sleeping spell so that he can run away from home. Compelled by a vision of his dead birthmother, Trix departs on the eve of a Great Catastrophe, only to find himself caught in the maelstrom. Armed with little more than his wits and the wisdom inherent in all fey-blooded youth, Trix confronts a legendary Animal King, faces off against a ghostly feline, rescues a damsel in distress, and discovers more about himself than he ever wished to know. And this adventure is only the beginning.

A devilish slumber by Shereen Vedam. Published February 19th 2015 by Imajinn Books/Belle Books. Based on: Sleeping beauty.
BEAUTY AWOKE, AND THEN THE TROUBLE BEGAN . . .
Since dealing with the death of her sister, and her abandonment by Sir Phillip Jones—the man who professed to love her—Lady Roselyn Ravenstock has lived as if sleepwalking. Mired in grief, she sequestered herself in her home, avoiding all callers. Then she meets Mrs. Helen Beaumont, and Rose starts to come to life..until Helen is murdered. But this time, Rose isn’t going back to sleep. 



And in case you missed, there were three covers revealed for upcoming fairytale retellings:
Unhooked – Lisa Maxwell, publishing February 2nd 2016.
Out of Abaton – John Claude Bemis, publishing March 15th 2016.
The forbidden wish – Jessica Khoury, publishing February 23rd 2016.

2151834418336985ForbiddenWish_BOM.indd

Are there any retellings you've seen around? Have you read any of these? Let me know!
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

26 comments:

  1. I immediately added all these books to my goodreads tbr shelf. I love fairytale retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to check out Speak Easy! It sounds like it will be such an interesting spin on this story ;) Also, I've already got an eye on The Toymaker's Apprentice, which also sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST post! I've seen several of these around and have read a few of them, but there are a number that I haven't even heard of that look AWESOME!

    Neeeeeeeeeeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these sound really good! Especially the Alice in wonderland ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh!! Thanks for these recs Mel, I instantly want to add Unhooked, Robin Hood, Alice Takes Back Wonderland and Wish Made of Glass to my tbr shelf...and let's be honest, if I wasn't trying to control myself I'd likely add ALL OF THESE :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOH thanks for these! I ADORE retellings and there are some beauties that definitely fly under the radar. I'm definitely going to have to find myself a copy of the Catherynne M Valente book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I'm curious about Alice Takes Back Wonderland!! Except I recently read Mad About the Hatter, and ugh. >_> It's kind of made me wonderlandishly cautious because that just didn't do anything for me at. all. STILLLLL. COVER LOVE FOR THAT ONE TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great list! I'm reading Alice Takes Back Wonderland at the moment, and I'm really enjoying it so far. But all of these look soooo interesting!!

    Beatrice @ Book for Thought

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this feature! A Wish Made of Glass sounds interesting and I have Alice Takes Back Wonderland on my TBR! Looks really good. That Robin Hood book sounds AMAZING! I have arcs of Princess Juniper and Out of Abadon, I'll report back on them :) Hopeful about The Forbidden Wish, I still haven't read an Aladdin retelling that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo, I kind of really like this feature! It's nice to see under the radar books, and fairy tale retellings are always a favorite of mine. :D I've read the Artisans and it was so-so, but I know some people who have enjoyed it. Letters to Zell sound especially fun.

    Of the upcoming ones, I can't wait for Unhooked and I've read and loved The Forbidden Wish!

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning post Mel. <3 Thank you so much for sharing about all of these unknown books :D I.. had not heard about any of them o.O Ahh! Except for those coming out next year; like The Forbidden Wish, which I'm dying to read. All the books sounds pretty amazing, though :D You have made me curious about some of them. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many fairytale retellings, so little time! I can't wait to read The Forbidden Wish, and I love the cover for Alice Takes Back Wonderland! Speak Easy sounds really wonderful and I love the sound of The Artisans as well. As always, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh thanks for sharing this Mel! I had no idea about these retellings, and I'm a HUGE fan of retellings so definitely adding most of these to the TBR asap!

    Alice Takes Back Wonderful is the one that I'm eyeing off now. *runs off to find a copy*

    Joy @ Thoughts By J

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I can't believe I missed SO many of these. Your sleuthing skills were good to find these. The only two I've heard of were Unhooked and The Forbidden Wish. I'll definitely be adding some new titles to my TBR, though. Thanks!

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fantastic list, thank you! I will have to check some of these out! But you missed all the retellings by K.M. Shea. :( She released a retelling of Little Mermaid (The Little Selkie) and Puss in Boots earlier this year, and she has a retelling of the Snow Queen coming out in December!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you did a shout out for these books, Mel! I love supporting the non-hyped up books as well, because they need and deserve just as much love.

    I had no idea that there were so many fairytale retelling releases recently :O I've added THE SEVENTH BRIDE to my TBR because it looks super awesome. Six prides in an enchanted castle? I also haven't read Blackbeard, so everything will be really new to me.

    I REALLY want to read THE ARTISANS because Beauty and the Beast is my favourite fairytale and I devour any retellings I can get my hands on. I just can't seem to find it, though D:

    I really need to up my game in terms of reading fairytale retellings, because I hardly got around to any this year :( Hopefully I'll be better next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always sign up for the challenge ;) I also looove the sound of The seventh bride and The artisans!

      Delete
  17. You are the fairytale queen! I always love to come by to see what new FTR you have on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adored Trixter! Alethea does such great mash ups and I'm enjoying how all the books in the series are self-contained but play into each other as well. Enchanted is still my favorite, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0