Monthly Recap | November ‘15

recap
This post recaps my month, from personal life to books I’ve read & bought, movies and TV shows I’ve seen and links to posts that interest me.
OUAT1
I had two parties from my boyfriend’s family. His aunt and uncle celebrated their 40-year of marriage and his other aunt celebrated her birthday. I don’t have such good connections with his family, but these two days weren’t too bad.

I celebrated my 7-year anniversary with my boyfriend. We went out to dinner at a Thai restaurant and that food was DELICIOUS. Wow. It was spicy, but in such a way that it made the flavours stronger. I had a brown curry with rice, shrimps and different vegetables, yum.

Jasper & Melanie
I HAVE A JOB.
Ten minutes after the interview I got a phone call telling me they had a short discussion and they were so positive that they immediately decided they wanted me! So, starting January 2016, I’m finally an official Microbiological technician in a hospital on the Medical Microbiology department.

I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo with the intention of staying motivated to write. I never thought I would win it, but with 32.000 I’m really happy with myself and I can’t wait to finish the story in my own time.

I’m a big fan of Mumford and Sons, so when I heard they were coming to The Netherlands in 2016 I knew I had to get tickets. The day of the ticket sale I sat in front of my computer refreshing the page over and over again: and in the end I did manage to buy them! I’m going together with my sister and I can’t wait to see them live.

I celebrated Sinterklaas (Dutch event, my friend Debby explained it in her Sinterklaas 101 post if you are interested) with my boyfriend’s family. We always make a surprise and buy one little present for everyone else, together with a poem. It was fun and I ate way too many sweets.

I had a book club meeting. I failed to read the pick, but as you can see in this recap I didn't have much time to read at all. I have seen the movie lots of times though, so I do plan to finish it (Anne of Green Gables) Good food and for the first time not a terrible service.

Alexa officially announced this awesome news: I am one of the three co-hosts for the 2016 Love-a-thon! We are already busy with planning and it’s going to be great!


Read1
The Daily Prophecy
This is a feature, started by Quartz Feather and co-hosted by The Daily Prophecy, where you divide the books you’ve read during the month in To read {recommended} and Not to read {not recommended}. Additionally, you can talk about the books you’re planning to read next month. You can link-up in the Linky down below.

Read:
Erika Johanson – The Queen of the Tearling. A re-read. 4.5/5. Verdict: to read.
Marissa Meyer – Cress. 5+/5. A re-read. Verdict: to read.
Erika Johanson – The invasion of the Tearling. 3/5. Verdict: not really to read.

Reading next month.
I’m planning to dedicate the entire month to catching up with my eARC’s. I’ve been sloppy for a while and it is time to make a dent in my list. I want to finish all 2015 titles this year.

Gabel & Klam – Etherworld.
Brian Katcher – The improbably theory of Ana & Zak.
Paula Weston – Shadows.
Licia Troisi– Nihal of the land of the wind.
Juliet Marillier – Tower of thorns.
Jamie Cassidy – Hawthorn.

egsdsdg
MOVIES:
Ant-man: I just can’t get over the ridiculous concept.. but I love Paul Rudd and all the references Marvel always put in their movies.
Real steel: What a terrible movie. The main character starts as an asshole, then there is a moment where I thought he got some development, and then he falls right back into it. Also incredibly boring. Big fat nope.
Year one: Not recommended if you are a Believer, because they ridicule the Bible story we know. I thought it was really funny, but I don’t think this is a suitable movie for everyone.

TV-SHOWS:
White Collar: Season 1 was really good. I’m halfway season 2 now and the show keeps surprising me.
Big Bang Theory: still funny, but it hasn’t reached the quality of the first seasons yet.
Reign: I scrolled through Netflix and ended up watching this show. It is terrible, but so addictive.. It’s the type of show you love to hate. So much drama and romanticizing of true history, but I kind of like it in a weird way.
Book haul

Bought:
I was doing great with my book buying ban, but I had a serious need to buy some books and it had been a while since I splurged. I LOVED Uprooted, Lair of dreams, Walk on earth a stranger and The pirate code, so I had to get my hands on those. Stitching Snow was one of my favorite books this year, so of course I had to get Spinning starlight. The glass sentence was fantastic, so The golden specific is welcome and I’ll be doing a read-along with my friend Christina reads YA. I hear so many things about Illuminae and I got curious about the concept. And I wanted to complete another series, so I purchased the third book in The school for good and evil. Plus, WINTER. Duh.

Book-haul-November_thumb2Winter

I got approved on Netgalley for Alice takes back Wonderland by David D. Hammons. Thanks Curiosity Quills Press!

dingamebobs
This is something new I want to add to my monthly recaps. You can always find tons of links to interesting posts on Christina reads YA and I thought it would be fun to highlight some articles and news that interest me. It is divided in Whozits (random stuff with gadgets and gismos for YT and scientific articles) and Whatzits (bookish).

Whozits.
Lens turns smartphones into microscopes for only 3 cents per lens.
Scientists are opening the gates of nature’s secret medicine factories, with the aim of giving us new weapons against cancers and resistant bacteria.
The role volcanic activity played in mass extinction events in Earth's early history is likely to have been much less severe than previously thought, according to a study.
Adele released her new album 25 and I became obsessed with When we were young.

Whatzits.
The cover from The raven king was revealed.
I found this awesome, super random music video. Listen to the end. Guacamole is the best part.
The third title from The bone season is revealed: The song rising.
Alice in Wonderland is back with a sequel. You can see the trailer from Alice through the looking glass.
Time to start voting for the Goodreads choice award 2015.
Plot for Fantastic beast is unveiled. There are also some behind the scene photo’s.  Look at these 8 magical first pictures. J.K Rowling also revealed she is writing another children’s book.
Look at these cute accessories for fairytale lovers.
A court of thorns and roses has been optioned for a movie.
Six of crows sequel title was revealed with a video.
The huntman winter’s war sounds really good. Trailer here.
The lion guard is an upcoming TV show based on Kion, son of Simba (from the Lion King, yes)
Brad Pitt and Warner Bros to adapt Illuminae.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies poster.
Word Contessa shared opinions of different bloggers (me included) about feminism.

How was your November?

Link-up for To read or not to read:

25 comments

  1. Loved your post! I was also wondering, how are you able to reply to comments on blogger? For some reason on my blog if someone comments, I can't reply! And I really want to talk to the people who read my posts! Especially since I'm very new and it's quite rare for that to happen! Would you know how to help :)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to a comment on your blog, you can click "reply" at the right corner!

      Delete
    2. for some reason I didn't have that on my comments and I'm not sure why!

      Delete
    3. That is because you have Google + as your comment platform. Not sure how you can change that!

      Delete
    4. okay thank you, I will look into it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new job! Happy anniversary to you and your beau too!
    Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an exciting month! Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good things seemed to have happened to you Mel :) Happy 7th anniversary to you and your boyfriend! That's so sweet of you guys! And also, congrats on the new job! I'm so happy for you!! Winter looks huge, and so does Illuminae; both books are currently in my TBR (obviously), but I'm holding off from buying them at the moment until I finish the books I've left unread for now.

    Happy reading, and I hope you have a great month this December! :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to your 7 years anniversary with your boyfriend. You two look so happy on that picture! And wow that's great you got the job and they were so enthousiastic about you, sounds like you really impressed them! And even though you didn't win NaNoWriMo, it sounds like you made soem awesome progress with your story! I hope december will be an awesoem month for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I finally dazzled someone with my charms, haha.

      Delete
  6. Reign is so historically inaccurate that it hurts to watch it sometimes but I've always ended up watching it anyways. I haven't seen the latest episodes though, just the first of the latest season. Also saw Ant Man and liked it, just like every single movie they make in the MCU. Did you see the Civil War trailer? I can't wait for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new job & your seven years with your boyfriend. It’s amazing to know how strong your relationship. It always makes me smile whenever I see/hear something like this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great month. Congratulations on your job & your anniversary!! I finished Alice Takes Back Wonderland last week and I LOVED IT! Hope you enjoy all of your new books :)

    Beatrice @ Book for Thought

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! So many exciting things happened to you recently Mel!! Congrats on the anniversary with your boyfriend - you two look adorable ♥ and CONGRATS on the new job! I knew it was only a matter of time for you :D I hope you'll love it!! Also? Congrats on winning NaNoWriMo and OMG Mumford and Sons?! I'd love to see them! Oh you are going to have a BLAST!! And I agree: The Huntsman looks AMAZING! Eeep XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww you and your bf are super cute Mel! Congrats on achieving the 30,000 words for your NaNo, that's definitely more than you started and still a wonderful achievement. Congrats on your new job, I knew you were looking for a while so glad to hear that you have somewhere to go to! That dutch event looks like fun too. I still need to read my Queen of Tearling, I'll have to do that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that you had a great time with your BF's family, Mel! :) Congratulations on the 7 years together (that is seriously amazing). YOU GUYS ARE CUTE. Congrats on getting the job, as well! :) I am so happy for you and hope you'll be happy there and have a great time. YAY on writing 30K. NaNoWriMo is so hard because of the amount of work you need to put in but 30K is impressive! :) YOU GO, GURL.

    Also, the reason why I haven't watched Ant Man is because I cannot get behind the concept. I love Paul Rudd but I don't think I could watch Ant Man.

    Anyway, I hope your December is as full of awesomeness as your November was :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous post Mel. <3 Thank you for sharing about so much that you did in November :D YAY! Sounds like you had such a great month. <3 And so so so happy for you that you got a job :D Hope it is going great. <3 And yaaay for getting such awesome books :D Illuminae is amazing. <3 I really hope you will love it. And ahhh. The School for Good and Evil: The Last Ever After is PERFECTION. Yet oh so heartbreaking. I cried. It was awesome. I hope you'll read it soon :) Happy reading sweetest girl. <3 Hope you are having an awesome December so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to agree Cress most definitely is a to read, also congrats on your 7 anniversary, and on getting the job. Thanks so much for being my co-host this month. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wheeeee! I am so, so happy you agreed to co-host the Love-a-Thon! It's going to be even more amazing <3 And congratulations on 7 years and the job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary and congrats on the job! I love Anne of Green Gables and hope you enjoy it as well. Nihal of the Wind is a really good book. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm so excited to read a lot of the books you've bought. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for a new job! That's so exciting :D Congrats on finishing NaNoWriMo too, sounds like you had a very successful month! The concept behind the Ant-Man movie was silly, but I loved that movie for the humor and the general Marvel feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seven years - that is amazing! Congrats to you both! You seen so so happy!!

    BIG HUGE CONGRATS on the job! That sounds amazing! Microbiology is one of the more interest sciences!

    Big Bang has really devolved as a show, sadly enough. After they made fun of Sheldon's social issues, when he was very forthcoming, I was over the show. It just has flat out become mean spirited.

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO MUCH CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER! 1. Congrats on 7 years <3 That is amazing and I wish you two many more years of happiness together! 2. Congrats on the job! I knew you would get something soon and I am so happy for you! 3. Congrats on being a love-a-thon host! This event is amazing - I hope Ash and I participate again but the way life has been lately i'll have to wait and see. 4. YAY for Mumford and Sons! Ash and I both love them too (I'm pretty sure she saw them live before) and I love live music - I am sure it will be a great time!

    So glad you had such an amazing November. I hope December is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.