Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:23

Review 248. Cammie McGovern – A step toward falling.

A step toward fallingTitle: A step toward falling.
Author: Cammie McGovern.
Pages: 368.
Published: October 6th 2015 by HarperTeen.
Sort: Stand-alone.
Source: Edelweiss.
Emily has always been the kind of girl who tries to do the right thing—until one night when she does the worst thing possible. She sees Belinda, a classmate with developmental disabilities, being attacked. Inexplicably, she does nothing at all. Belinda, however, manages to save herself. When their high school finds out what happened, Emily and Lucas, a football player who was also there that night, are required to perform community service at a center for disabled people. Soon, Lucas and Emily begin to feel like maybe they're starting to make a real difference. Like they would be able to do the right thing if they could do that night all over again. But can they do anything that will actually help the one person they hurt the most?
Rating:

I fell head over heels in love with Say what you will. I was ready to be blown away by this book, but that didn’t happen. There was something about this book that prevented me from completely loving it. I had the same problem with the recent Just my luck.

Belinda lives together with her mother and grandmother. Her mother is depressive and Belinda has development disabilities. One day she is attacked and two people see it happen: Emily and football player Lucas. Both of them decide to do nothing. This story is about the effect of this event and their choices on all three of them.

The story switches POV between Belinda, Emily and Lucas. I think my main problem was the fact I didn’t feel connected with them. Belinda had a distance in her voice, which was understandable, but that made it hard to feel anything for her. It was sad that she had to endure the attack and it's terrible her disabilities prevent her from completely understanding what happened. This resulted in chapters about her obsession with Pride & Prejudice, her love for the theater and her growing friendship with another disabled boy, instead of an emotional process.

The realization of what happened and the aftermath of the assault was much bigger on Emily and Lucas, who have to deal with their guilt. They are both signed up for community service with challenged teenagers. I liked their development throughout the story and how they deal with their wrong decision. It’s obvious they are both shocked by their reaction in the situation. Despite that, I didn’t care much about Emily or Lucas. They never spoke to me and I already can’t think of one thing that makes them stand out to me.

I think it’s a good plot that made me think. How would I react in a situation like that? It's hard to say, because I completely understand why both Emily and Lucas turned their head away. I think many people quickly decided 'someone else is probably going to take care of it.' I think I would not immediately do something about it, but I would call someone, like the police - or in this case one of the teachers.  The disconnection from the characters made this book less impressive than Say what you will though.

What about you? How do you think you would have responded in this situation?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

8 comments:

  1. Darn it, I've heard fantastic things about Say What You Will but it definitely sounds like the characters were difficult to connect to in this one Mel! Their apathy definitely isn't something I could relate to as well. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say what you will blew me away, but the author hasn't managed to do the same with her other books.. Such a shame.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous review Mel. <3 But aw, I'm sorry you didn't love this one :\ But yay for still enjoying the book :D It sounds interesting, yet not for me, sadly. And aw, I'm sorry you never felt much for the characters. That's not good at all. But glad you didn't hate the book at least :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad that you still managed to enjoy this one, despite not completely falling in love with it. It doesn't sound le a me book to be honest, which is probably why I'd never heard of it before. It sucks when you can't connect with the characters and the story fully! Wonderful review as always ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disconnection from character/story is so hard!

      Delete
  4. This does sound like it could be a good book, but I am sad to see that the author decided to pull back some of the heavier punches. It could have been something that hit home - hard, but meh.

    I'm liking going to read it, still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you should, maybe it will work for you :)

      Delete
  5. You are not the first person I've seen say that this one isn't quite as great as Say What You Will. I do agree that it is a thought-provoking story though. I haven't read either yet but I imagine I will probably only read Say What You Will if I ever get around to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0