Every year has amazing and less-amazing moments, but I can look back at a lot of beautiful memories I created with my friends and loved ones. I have taken many new opportunities this year and I feel like I’ve continued my growth from 2014. I become more confident every day and while I still struggle with things, I don’t let them bother me that much anymore. I feel like I am becoming the person I am meant to be and this year helped to shape me even more. I also got some great blogging possibilities this year and I have a really positive feeling about 2016. (Plus: look how many awesome books are being published! And movie/TV show releases I can’t wait for!)
This is my last post of 2015. HAPPY NEW YEAR LOVELY FRIENDS!
Here is a round-up from some of the things I believe are highlights of my year of 2015.
January: I had a diving instruction. I’ve always wanted to do one and it was everything I thought it would be. I can’t wait to do it again.
February: surprised my boyfriend with a Valentine’s dinner. I nailed my thesis defence.
March: Started my second internship and I had a blast.
April: I celebrated my birthday. One of my presents was the musical for Snow White.
May: We planned a surprise party for my sister’s 21st birthday.
June: I ended both internships with fantastic grades, which led to my graduation! I still can’t believe that this part of my life is over. I am now officially engineer Melanie, Bachelor of applied science.
July: Three wonderful weeks in Spain together with my loved ones. I bought my DSLR camera.
August: Simply sucked.
September: Landed my first, yet temporary, job. It was not my dream job, but at least I found something in a short period and I learned some new techniques. I also went to two food truck festivals for the first time, delicious!
October: I went to my first book event ever (Leigh Bardugo) and it was AMAZING. I had a book club sleep-over with my wonderful friends.
November: I went out to dinner with my boyfriend to celebrate our 7th anniversary and I found THE job in my own field! An official Microbiological technician in a hospital, for at least a year.
December: I found a (rental) house with my boyfriend! We are finally moving in together. Christmas was wonderful and of course, the start of a new, fresh year.
It was also another year filled with book club meetings and I’m grateful that I have these girls in my life. *Daph isn’t in the photo, but this is the only one we have from part of the group*
- I hosted the (Fairytale) Retelling challenge for the first time. A total of 142 people signed up! I was even approached by a publisher to host a fantastic giveaway for Uprooted. And I’m hosting it for the second time, so make sure to check it out: (Fairytale) Retelling challenge 2016.
- I participated for the second time in the Love-a-thon, such a fun event. Alexa officially announced the awesome news that: I am now one of the three co-hosts for the 2016 Love-a-thon!
- I was part of the Dearest blog tour, the blog tour for Shadow study, Queen of Shadows and one for Crimson bound.
- I was asked for Trick or treat.
- I decided to do NaNoWriMo and could join the Beautiful Books.
- I had a silent third blogoversary in February.
- Word Contessa invited me to talk about my view on Feminism (alongside other bloggers)
- I was picked for the #Truthwitch street team (Earth clan!) and it has been such a fun experience.
Mel in Movieland – Pinocchio.
My movie cast for A court of thorns and roses.
This personal post where I talk about my bullying story.
A few of my blogging tips (for beginners)
My defence for Disney princesses.
I’m not someone who is obsessed with followers stats, but I have seen my amount grow through the year and I’m so happy with all of you!
Bloglovin’ has 918 followers at this moment. Awesome huh?
Twitter: 1,276. I never thought I would be so interesting.
Goodreads: 440 followers and 340 friends.
Page views in 2015: 41.699.
I read a total of 114 books (I think I will be able to finish one more) and 41.306 pages. If you want to see a list of all the books I’ve read this year with ratings, you can click right here: READING LIST 2015.
READING CHALLENGES 2015.
Is anyone surprised by these results? Fantasy and fairytales are always my popular genre.
30 books also gained the title 'favorite.' It seems like I had a good year, with 4 stars as my most given rating (23%) followed by 3 tars (20%)
That is not too bad!
Top 10. (Talked about more books in Top 20 books from 2015 and Annual end of the year survey)
1. Samantha Shannon – The mime order.
2. Sarah. J. Maas – A court of thorns and roses.
3. Sharon Biggs Waller – A mad, wicked folly.
4. Leigh Bardugo – Six of crows.
5. Victoria Schwab – A darker shade of magic.
6. Rae Carson – Walk on earth a stranger.
7. Renee Ahdieh – The wrath and the dawn.
8. Naomi Novik – Uprooted.
9. Libba Bray – Lair of dreams.
10. Mindy McGinnis – A madness so discreet.
1. Ishbelle Bee: The singular and extraordinary tale of Mirror and Goth. Confusing.
2. Sarah Prineas - Ash & Bramble. Not my writing-style.
3. Dianne Salerni - The eight day. Lost interest.
4. Hannah Moskowitz - A history of glitter and blood. Nope. Just nope.
5. Jacqueline Garlick - Lumiere. Disconnected from the writing and characters.
6. Stephanie Perkins - Isla. UGH.
7. Colleen Oakes - Wendy Darling. Hate the romance. Don't like the writing.
8. Brian Katcher - The improbable theory of Ana and Zac. Disliked the characters.
9. Ali Novak - The Heartenders. Nooooope.
Personal resolutions for 2016.
I talked about my blogging and reading resolutions in this blog post.
- Keep pushing myself. I don’t want to be hold back by fears. Sometimes you simply have to let go and take the plunge.
- Keep developing and growing. I’ve really started to embrace myself for who I am and that is an amazing feeling.
- I want to enjoy every single moment and cherish everything I do. I want to spend a lot of time with my friends and loved ones. Awesome things I’ve already planned that I look forward to: Beauty and the beast musical, two spa days, book club sleep-over and Mumford and Sons concert.
- Go on a vacation with my boyfriend! The first time we will go together.
- Decorate the house and after we’ve settled down, get a kitten.
- I’m really thinking about doing a home study/course. I love learning and I'm interested in so many things.
- Rock my new job :)
Let's make 2016 amazing!