Friday, January 15, 2016 12:12

Let it go | Fairytale edition.


 


Let it go is my new feature, where I will spotlight all the books I DNF and the ones I read, but don’t want to review. And yes, the name is based on the wonderful song from the movie Frozen, hence the snowflake and the reindeer. This feature is based on several other DNF features.


The book of lost thingsJust EllaNever Never


John Connolly – The book of lost things.
RATING: 5 out of 5.
This book was fantastic and I highly recommend it to everyone. Such a gorgeous writing-style. It sucked me in from the beginning and it blew me away with some of its wisdom and word choices. I already shared one of his quotes in one of my monthly recaps, so here is another one:

“Without a human voice to read them aloud, or a pair of wide eyes following them by flashlight beneath a blanket, books had no real existence in our world. Like seeds in the beak of a bird waiting to fall to earth, or the notes of a song laid out on a sheet, yearning for an instrument to bring their music into being. they lie dormant hoping for the chance to emerge.They want us to give them life.”

The author made it really easy to connect with the young boy David, which is not an easy task. There was not a moment where I felt the voice was too young or too old; it was simply perfect.
The subtle use of the fairytales and how they are not the perfect happily-ever-after characters, the emotions throughout the story, the character development; I loved it all. David misses his mother and he has a hard time accepting the fact that his father has a new woman in his life; and that he has a little brother. His behaviour felt realistic and I liked the aspect of his family and how he slowly starts to accept his new life.

Gah, this is one of those books I want to reread very soon.

Margaret Peterson Haddix – Just Ella.
RATING: 2 out of 5.
I started this book with high hopes, but it turned out to be a disappointment. The author managed to use a creative spin on the original tale, but that’s pretty much all I liked about it. The tale of Cinderella and the fairy godmother turned out to be a simple gossip; Ella’s real story is less magical. That was interesting – and also the way her happily-ever-after evolves was a nice addition.

Ella was okay. I had a feeling I SHOULD have loved her, but in the end I didn’t. She stands up for herself, she manages to escape out of prison and in the end she realizes there is no such thing as love-at-first-sight, so she had all the right aspects to turn into a great heroin. She just felt too flat and I had no connection whatsoever.

Brianna Shrum – Never Never.
RATING: 3 out of 5. I received an eARC from the publisher on Netgalley.

I’ve always had my doubts about Peter and a feeling there was more to Hook than the information we’ve been given. This is one of those books that made me feel sorry for Hook. James is an innocent boy who wants nothing more than growing up. One day he meets Peter and the boy promises him that he can take him to Neverland for a vacation. Instead, James is dumped there with no way to return to his old life. He turns bitter and starts to see Peter for the hateful, childish boy he is. We also see glimpses of Wendy and Tiger Lily. This book went on for too long; there are many repetition and it started to get boring, but the ending was worth it.

Have you read any of these books? Interested in one of them?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

27 comments:

  1. The Book of Lost Things is one I'm really interested in so seeing such a high rating from you is a treat! The way you described the connection to the main character AND the writing style made me swoon a bit…so I can only imagine what reading the book will do to me :)

    I had hoped that you'd be blown away by Never Never, but that doesn't seem to be the case^^ I'm happy that you enjoyed it despite it dragging on too long and becoming repetitive - I'm curious about that ending now :D Lovely reviews Mel!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I'm so disappointed to hear about 'Never Never'. It looked quite good and I was quite excited about seeing a Neverland story from Hook's POV. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but it didn't live up to my expectations :(

      Delete
  3. The Book of Lost Things sounds fabulous! I really love the quote you included in your mini-review here, and it makes me want to read it even more. Definitely adding it to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay! I think you will love it too, Alexa :)

      Delete
  4. Aaah, I LOVE The Book of Lost Things! I read it for the first time back in middle school, but I've been dying to read it again. Well, one of my Resolutions for this year is to read more titles I loved as a kid... maybe your mini-review was just the motivation I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reeeally want to read Never Never because I LOVE CREEPY PETER PAN TALES. And I will never read enough of them, tbh. Although the repetition worries me?! Because I do get bored easily. Agh. Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll pester my library to get it. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely borrow it, if you are interested in it!

      Delete
  6. The Book Of Lost Things sounds amazing! I really want to read some more retellings as I feel as if I have read VERY few! All your posts encourage me to read them, but I still havent! What is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started reading Never Never but got kind of bored and haven't finished it yet. I'm glad to hear the ending's worth it, though - it gives me the incentive to keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spotted The Book of Lost Things in the bookstore and immediately fell in love with the premise, but haven't heard anything about it until now! I am so glad you liked it and I will definitely have to pick it up soon. I am sorry Just Ella fell flat for you, though. Happy reading! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I really want to read The Book of Lost Things, I've heard such amazing things about it! I have Never Never on my TBR pile but I'm hesitant to read it as I've read quite negative things! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also own The Book of Lost Things, but just haven't gotten around to reading it! I'm not sure what I've been waiting for! And I have to admit, I'm a little devastated that you didn't LOVE Never Never! It was easily one of my top 2015 reads! I'm glad you enjoyed it though :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning reviews Mel. <3 Thank you for sharing about these books :D I'm not planning on reading any of them, but they all look interesting. So glad you loved the first one so much :D YAY. You make it seem awesome. But aw, I'm sorry the other two were disappointing :\ Never Never looks so pretty. But yeah. I doubt I would like it :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I've never even heard of the first one that you're raving about?! Funny how that happens sometimes. Actually, I haven't heard of any of these before, so I guess I've just been living under a rock. You're definitely my go-to reviewer when it comes to fairytale inspired novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when I can introduce people to new-to-them-books - and that is so sweet <3

      Delete
  13. I haven't heard the greatest things about Never Never unfortunately, it sounds pretty bland sadly. And Ella doesn't sound like the greatest character either. Glad you enjoyed the Book of Lost things though! Lovely reviews, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh! I'm so out of blogging world at times that I don't always know about every book out there (which in itself is an impossible task, but you know what I mean!) :P Anyhooooow, I didn't know about these books before your post, but Mel! TBOLT sounds amazing! I love that there are books out there that make you connected towards characters that you probably wouldn't feel so connected to at first glance, so I'm glad you felt that connection with David! Also, how great s that quote! <3 Sorry Just Ella didn't work out for you that well, though I feel like it's hard to put a new unique spin on Cinderella especially since there are so many retellings of her tale out there. As for Never Never, I've heard good things and I'm glad you enjoyed it as a whole though I can totally see how repetitive things can turn a book into a boring one. I hate when that happens. Still, glad you enjoyed as a whole :)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sometimes really hard to keep up with all the books that are published! That's why I also try to review older books, because they deserve some love too :)

      Delete
  15. Ooh, thank you for reminding me - I read The Book of Lost Things years ago and I loved it, I should re-read it! I'm glad you liked it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read Palace of Mirrors which is book 2 in the same series as Just Ella (I didn't realize it was part of a series) and I thought that one was pretty good. I actually like Ella in that book and when I went back and read Just Ella to hear her story it made me like her LESS. I feel like the author must be an anti-Cinderella fan or something, as Just Ella felt like it was gout out of its way to destroy all the magic of the original Cinderella story. :( So you may find the other books in this story to be an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i keep seeing never never everywhere! i doubt i will ever read it though...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have Never Never in my to read list but have been putting it off. I am not a fan of repetitiveness and when things should end earlier. Your mini review is my first encounter of a review so I am glad to see some feedback!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is an interesting twist on Cinderella. Too bad the characters fell flat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0