Thursday, February 04, 2016 20:15

101 survival guide: how to conquer your internet apocalypse.

I had to survive in a no-internet climate for four weeks and let me tell you this, it was a challenge. I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm addicted to the internet, but it has integrated itself in my life and it has become an important (and welcome) presence. During those weeks I had to find ways to keep myself occupied – so I would not go crazy about the fact I could not blog, keep up with the blogophere and friends, watch Netflix or stalk Goodreads. I could do a few things on my mobile phone, and boy did I go over my data, and I have leeched on the internet of my parents like a parasite when I had the chance, but having internet is way easier and more comfortable.

1. Re-organize those shelves. Luckily for me, the no-internet problem was caused by moving into my own place. One thing that kept me quite busy was unpacking all the boxes and best of all: re-arranging my shelves! I could start with a blank canvas and for two days I switched books around and carefully thought about a system that would be A. easy in use and B. pleasing to the eye. In case you lose internet with another reason, I highly recommended going through your shelves and do some re-organization.

2. Watching and sleeping. A new job and therefor a new schedule to get adjusted to also worked. Most of the time I was so tired when I got home, I ate some food and then ended up in bed with a movie. These days made it easy to not think about anything else but relaxing and sleeping. I bet watching movies and sleeping could count as survival tips too.




3. Lover/family/friends. There is nothing more important to me than spending quality time with the people around me. Hang out with them, do fun stuff and leave the whole virtual world behind for some time. I would recommend to bring out those good old fashioned board-games and have some competitions! Also important: have some YOU time. Do things you normally feel you don't have the time for.

4. Reading. I bet that is an easy one. Pick up all those books on your TBR pile or catch up with your review copies! If you can't write reviews on your normal platform, like Wordpress, try to use Words or perhaps my method: make notes in a notebook. I love writing down all my thoughts and it makes it easy to catch up with my reviews now that I'm back in blogland.

5. Think. This is the time to take a step back and really ponder about what you want to achieve, where you want to go and what you could/would change about your blog. Is there anything you aren't happy with? Write down a plan and ideas to switch it up. I had a lot of time to think about what direction I want to go and how I want to bring back certain things to regain my inspiration. I wrote down every idea that popped up in my head, made little scribbles and sentences I might want to include somewhere and it really helped me out.

6. Remember. Being without internet is not like the world is ending. Your blog will not fade out of existence. People will not completely forget about you. Take a deep breathe and relax. A break, even if it is a forced one, is not bad every now and then. I have a renewed energy to pick it all up and this small amount of time showed me that I can go without internet if I have to.

7. Shopping. Now that you are not able to go online to order all those books (or whatever you look for), it is time to pay the bookstores a visit or even go to the library. I love going to the bookstore and browse to their shelves.


And 8 could be work-out or sports, but I'm a lazy pants so that wasn't the case for me. I only run in the summer when I feel like it (which explains why I'm out of breathe if I have to run more than ten steps) and at home I do some yoga with Youtube (check out Adriene's account), again, when I feel like it.

What would be your tips if you have no internet for a while?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

19 comments:

  1. I would probably go crazy if I had to go through weeks without the internet but it would also be a great time to not only read, shop, clean the house and reconnect with family but it could be the best time to focus on health. I could go preoccupied with running or going to the gym :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great. I truly wish I was able to do more active things.. I must kick myself.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha why workout when you can read, right?

    Being without internet is the worst! But I never realised how much time I spend on the internet until I go without. And boy does my productivity increase! When I don't have internet I tend to spend more time reading or playing games mostly, studying if I'm at uni (but that can be limited by lack of internet), and spend less time procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaming is also great! I do think some parts of my life went faster, like unpacking all the boxes, simply because it was one of the few things I could do, haha.

      Delete
  3. Having no internet access whatsoever is definitely a challenge! (It happens to me whenever I go home to the Philippines. I don't get to be online as much as I usually am.) But I think your survival guide is PERFECT! These are usually the things I find myself preoccupied with if I'm not online, and I like getting a chance to breathe and refocus. Plus, as you've mentioned, it definitely leaves me feeling more motivated when I make my return to the internet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like everything is a bit new again, haha.

      Delete
  4. LOL! It's so funny how quickly the internet became a staple of our daily lives. We used to be fine without it and now when we have to live without it seems so strange! Your suggestions for surviving here all all excellent^^ of course, reading, but organizing shelves, watching/sleeping and YES to thinking: just BEING with yourself is something we so rarely do nowadays! Wonderful post as always Mel ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think I want to do a regular no-internet day, just to make more time for other important things :)

      Delete
  5. When I moved into my own place I go internet installed the next day #noshame. I would like to think that I would be fine without wifi but my network connection dropped on a particularly rainy day last week for 30 minutes and I had no idea what to do with myself! It's always nice to have some survival tips on hand!!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting internet over here takes a ridiculous amount of times.. especially since we had to move to another provider. You were lucky! :D

      Delete
  6. Congrats on moving into your own place! But so long without internet...yikes, I don't think I could do it! These are definitely some good tips if I ever find myself stranded, though. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous post Mel. <3 Thank you oh so much for sharing about this :) But oh my gosh. I am the most sorry that you had to be so long with no internet. ALL THE HUGS. <3 I would never have survived. Never :p I'm addicted to checking twitter almost every moment of my day, lol, and I spend just about all the time on my laptop. Sigh. I could never survive without the internet :) Though. I also love what other things you did without it. <3 I need to do more too. Hmph. One day ;) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would cry without the internet, but you have listed some very good tips, like watching a movie (which I should do now because I am bored)! And reading is the obvious choice as well. For me, I guess another would be to actually be social? (pshhh), or clean up my room because that needs to be done now...

    I'm impressed with your 4 weeks without internet Mel! It's so hard in this day and age to go without it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I had to survive 10 weeks without the internet when I moved into my house because of the dodgy internet provider! It sounds like you managed to get by though, mostly to take a break from everything and to relax and think. I'm glad you're back now though Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agh, I HATE having no internet. I mean, it doesn't kill me??? My family used to do regular month-long trips where we'd have barely any internet the whole time. And it doesn't kill one's blog either (hhehe, although I did panic over it SO MUCH)...and it can be refreshing to come back to the blog enthused and excited to get back into it, right?!? But I prefer to always have internet. XD It's convenient and it's to be connected to everyone aaaaand it's fun. (And is my livelihood too, hehe) ANYWAY GREAT TIPS. If I don't have internet I do get a lot more reading done...although I have to write my reviews down on word or whatever or I forget EVERYTHING SO FAST. Exercise is great though!! I love going for a walk and listening to my audio book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine you reading even MORE. There would be no books left in the world, haha.

      Delete
  11. Whoa, that is extreme. If I had advice, it would be bring out the pen and paper and letter, but that's advice that's not applicable to everyone else. But I commend you for lasting this long, and I love your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh yeah, the internet apocalypse. I'm actually pretty sure it would be a good thing to go without internet from time to time - but it sucks when you can't decide on your own when to disconnect.
    My husband is a computer programmer so wi-fi is ALWAYS one of the primary concerns - both at home and when we're travelling, so we're rarely faced with this problem!
    But yeah, catching up on reading and old TV shows and doing some housework are usually my go-to activities for such days. Also crafts or mending or whatever I can find to occupy me. I sometimes also work - I actually get more work done if I don't have the option of browsing my favourite blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0