Review 251. Heidi Heilig - The girl from everywhere.

21979832Title: The girl from everywhere.
Author: Heidi Heilig.
Pages:  464.
Published: February 16th 2016 by Greenwillow Books.
Sort: Part 1 of The girl from everywhere.
Source: I received a copy from the publisher on Edelweiss.
Goodreads


Sixteen-year-old Nix Song is a time-traveller. She, her father and their crew of time refugees travel the world aboard The Temptation, a glorious pirate ship stuffed with treasures both typical and mythical. Old maps allow Nix and her father to navigate not just to distant lands, but distant times - although a map will only take you somewhere once. And Nix's father is only interested in one time, and one place: Honolulu 1868. A time before Nix was born, and her mother was alive. Something that puts Nix's existence rather dangerously in question...  Nix has grown used to her father's obsession, but only because she's convinced it can't work. But then a map falls into her father's lap that changes everything. And when Nix refuses to help, her father threatens to maroon Kashmir, her only friend (and perhaps, only love) in a time where Nix will never be able to find him. And if Nix has learned one thing, it's that losing the person you love is a torment that no one can withstand. Nix must work out what she wants, who she is, and where she really belongs before time runs out on her forever.

Rating:

This book got a lot of buzz around the time I read it and I must say that it is worth the hype. I thought it was a really clever, well-written story with interesting characters. This was one of the books I read during the 24 hours read-a-thon with my book club and it was not hard to read it in one sitting.

Nix sails together with her father on their ship, The Temptation, to any place in any time with the help of maps. I loved this concept, although I wish there were more explanations around the maps. They must be new (no one must have used them to travel before) and I still don't really understand why. If some of them are so rare, why not copy them before use? Anyway, they are looking for a very special map: one where Nix's mother is still alive. This is a difficult matter for Nix, because her mother died in childbirth, and Nix has no idea what would happen if she travels to that time. It could erase her entirely, but the complex relationship with her father makes her motivated to help him with his quest.

And boy, did I love their dynamic. It is clear that her father is a troubled man who can think of only one thing: finding the love of his life and getting her back. It is also obvious he loves Nix in his own way and it was great to have a book where a father/daughter relationship is the center where everything evolves around. His passionate search for this map makes sure that the plot takes us all to different places in the world in different time periods.

Another thing I really appreciated was the diversity in this book. The crew showcases many different people from other cultures and sexuality. Take Kash, a Persian thief who is Nix's best friend. I am someone who does not need much romance in a book and I loved how Heidi handled this. Nix and Kash first start out as really good friends and not too much happens, but that is what made me ship them so hard. Plus, sass and banter!

I think this book was a great start of a series and I very much look forward to the sequel.

quote review

 
“Sometimes a person has to let go of something to take hold of something else.”

9 comments

  1. Wow is this book filled with emotions! The cover is gorgeous, and portrays the "feels"-like quality of the book perfectly I think. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been seeing this around and so happy you liked it! I want a copy now!

    Great review, Mel!

    Kate @ The Bookaholic Blurbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardcore love the relationship between Nix and her father. It's so complex and heartwarming near the end. I also loved the flawless diversity in the book. It was seamless and didn't seem forced at all. Plus I really loved Heidi's writing and insanely brilliant plotting. Great review!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the diversity, the relationship and the father/daughter relationship! I'm looking forward to reading this one, it's on my TBR. Lovely review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book too. As for the maps being new, I think it's the time in which the map was made that determines where it will take you. A map made in 1800 will take you to that time, whereas its copy made in 1990 will take you to 1990, or an alternate version of that world in 1990. I found this aspect really interesting, since it meant that they were not traveling only in time, but also dimensions, as the belief of the mapmaker determined the place - which is why they could travel to mystical places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen so much love for this book lately! I downloaded it from Net Galley as a 'read now' copy, and I have to say I am keen to read it! It sounds like a super interesting take on time travel, and the fact that it centres around a familial relationship is awesome :D

    Friends to lovers is one of my favourite tropes! And sass and banter are always huge pluses.

    I hope you like the sequel as much as you liked this one, Mel! And lovely review, as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had my eye on this book ever since I saw its gorgeous cover!! I am very interested to read it too, especially after your review! It's so unusual to have parents as a main feature in YA! Thanks for sharing! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, yay :D So glad you liked this book a lot Mel. <3 Stunning review, as always. Hmm. I am starting to think that I must read it sometime soonish too, lol :) You do make it sound so good. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :D Awesome! So glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much. I loved the premise the moment I heard about it - though I can see myself also wishing for more explanations of how everything worked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.